The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is this jitter? Audio Interfaces
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Nut

Is this jitter?

I posted this in the Pro Tools 9 forum too, but I didn't realize that there was a queue and I kinda need an answer as soon as possible. So, I recently crossgraded to Pro Tools 9. I'm running it on a Mac Pro with a Black Lion Audio modded Motu 896 HD interface. When I open older sessions that were recorded or mixed with my 003 in Pro Tools 8, I start to hear pops, click, and digital artifacts every couple of seconds. They aren't part of the audio, because when I go back to listen for them in the same place, they're not there. Is this jitter? From what I understand, in order to get jitter, you need at least 2 pieces of digital gear connected to each other. I'm confused because I'm only using my Motu with no other digital gear hooked up to it. When I check the session setup of my Pro Tools sessions, the sample rate is the same as what i have my Motu set to. So, am I experiencing jitter, and more importantly, how do I fix it? Thanks.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Is your Motu intern sync clock device ok? Is it set as MasterClock/Sync. You didn't connect some other device on the Motu digitaly? Often pops anc clicks are coming from wrong driver setup in the Sync department.
Good luck!
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Guru

if it happens on older tracks and not on new ones, that is odd.

in which case I think Black Lion would either know or be interested to hear about that.

clicks and pops are usually some kind of clocking issue.

Driver versions, internal / external clock source issues, sample rate and on the fly sample rate conversions. those kinds of things.

worse possible is that PT is bugging with this currently.

hence contacting Black Lion.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search