The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
From Rosetta to computer?? Modular Synthesizers
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

From Rosetta to computer??

I am resetting up my room mainly for mixing. Will do hybrid ITB/OTB using a zedr16. Instead of routing the zed stereo master buss back into my primary computer PT file, I want to send the stereo mix through a Fatso and then to a separate laptop running PT to be used as a mixdown deck. To get good AD conversion and to monitor that mix, I will run the Fatso outputs into a Rosetta 200 that I picked up.

Now getting to the question. I have an M Audio Firewire 1814 and could send the digital from the Rosetta into the 1814 using SPDIF or optical, and 1814 firewire into computer. The other option is to get the Apogee firewire card and go directly from the Rosetta into the computer. The firewire card will be an additional purchase, whereas I already have the maudio 1814. Since I wouldn't necessarily be going through the maudio's converters, it seems like that would be a viable and inexpensive option. But what would be the OPTIMAL option? Go through MAudio, or get the Apogee FW card and go straight from Apogee? Would I LOSE anything going through the maudio?
Old 19th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
I am resetting up my room mainly for mixing. Will do hybrid ITB/OTB using a zedr16. Instead of routing the zed stereo master buss back into my primary computer PT file, I want to send the stereo mix through a Fatso and then to a separate laptop running PT to be used as a mixdown deck. To get good AD conversion and to monitor that mix, I will run the Fatso outputs into a Rosetta 200 that I picked up.

Now getting to the question. I have an M Audio Firewire 1814 and could send the digital from the Rosetta into the 1814 using SPDIF or optical, and 1814 firewire into computer. The other option is to get the Apogee firewire card and go directly from the Rosetta into the computer. The firewire card will be an additional purchase, whereas I already have the maudio 1814. Since I wouldn't necessarily be going through the maudio's converters, it seems like that would be a viable and inexpensive option. But what would be the OPTIMAL option? Go through MAudio, or get the Apogee FW card and go straight from Apogee? Would I LOSE anything going through the maudio?
using the m-audio in this way should be fine and should not affect the audio in a negative way.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Correct---stick with the FW1814 and connect the Rosetta200 up digitally to that unit. The most important connection here will be your analog cables from the Rosetta200 to your monitor controller and then to your monitors. If you don't have a monitor controller (a good one), that should be your first priority.
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

SPDIF in my experience is more prone to jitter and less reliable than light pipe. Go with the fiber and your fine...

Charlie O
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

The SPDIF output from a quality unit like a Rosetta will be of the AES protocol = no problems. The M-Audio will clock to the Apogee perfectly

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search