The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mac = to Acronis Drive Image - is it Super Duper? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Head

Mac = to Acronis Drive Image - is it Super Duper?

On my Windows workstation after I have got my install perfect and running like a dream, I make a drive image of the system drive using Acronis True Image software.
Then if anything goes wrong, like an upgrade upsets my system etc - I can recover the system by simply reloading the drive image and within a minute or so, I back to the point before the problem.

Acronis Drive Image software isn't like Windows system restore - it actually makes a 100% perfect bit for bit copy of the system drive and saves it as an image file.
I have come to rely on Acronis for keeping my Windows machines in peak performance.

I am about to install Snow Leopard on my Logic Pro Imac system and I would love to manage my iMac in the exact same way.
Does SuperDuper do the same thing?
I am really confuesd by this on the Mac front - the reason being, when I looked at a program called Carbon Copy - it appeared to make an image file of my iMac hard drive that was the same size as the hard drive itself.
I need another 500GB hard drive just to make a copy of my 500GB imac system hard drive.

When Acronis makes an image file of my Windows system drive (100GB) the resulting file is only 3GB - as it only copies bits used as opposed to the drive sector by sector which would be 100GB image file.

Sheesh .... sorry about the length of this post.

.... so which Mac program will function like Acronis, any help would be great, I am a novice on the OSX side of things.

thanks
ts
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

You really don't need that on a Mac. The system doesn't slow down all by itself. If you want to waste time, both CCC and SuperDuper will do the job. And if you want a compressed copy, just set it in the prefs. And you don't even need those. If you start your Mac from the system DVD, Apple's Disk Utility will also make drive images. Compressed or uncompressed and even encrypted.

I think you'd better invest time in a real backup tho...
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Head

Thanks.

I do find that OSX suffers the same "half life" as Windows.

I have done a fresh install of OSX once before and I could run more tracks in Logic and everything felt snappy again like the day I bought it home from the Apple store.

I have read on many Mac forums comments to the same effect, that re-installing OSX, returns your Mac to it's factory fresh performance levels.

ts
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search