The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pls recommend me Strings/Orchestra VIs Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Head

Pls recommend me Strings/Orchestra VIs

Hi people,

I need a little more (and better quality) strings than what xpand2 has to offer.

What's the best VI for orchestral instruments (strings, brass, woodwind etc etc)?

Many thanks
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Some libraries are stronger in one area than others, but it seems like the best overall good quality one would be the East West gold or Platinum (16 bit vs. 24 bit, and more mic positions on Platinum).
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Yep, EastWest QLSO is a great all rounder, no messing with reverb and placing the instruments in the right positions as all the instruments are recorded in position in a great soudning hall.

Good value for money to given the size of the library ( conisdering the original price I paid for the Platinum was £6,000 you can now buy it for £600 )
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Do you have any kind of budget?

You may want to just consider getting Kontakt as the orchestral library that comes with it is pretty good IMO. However, if you want to spend a bit more money, my personal favorite is the the LA Scoring Strings library.... which... also uses Kontakt as the engine.... although I believe you can use the free 'Kontakt Player'. They also offer a more affordable, stripped down package as well.

Then there's all the EastWest and VSL stuff...

However, there's sooo many 3rd party libraries out there for Kontakt that IMO it's kind of a 'must have' if you want to get into Orchestral sample libraries. The newly released ORCHESTRAL STRING RUNS library looks (and sounds very interesting) and although it mainly focuses on 'Runs' it might be enough to get you by..... again... it's a Kontakt instrument.
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Head

Thanks guys. Seems like a big jump from free VIs with Protools to more expensive larger 3rd party ones....
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batchimp View Post
Thanks guys. Seems like a big jump from free VIs with Protools to more expensive larger 3rd party ones....
Yes, a VERY big jump. Look at NI's Kontakt. You can grow slowly as budget allows. If you just want an all in 1 VI with some string sounds, check out Omnisphere by Spectrasonics. It's world class, but more focused on synths. Still, has some great string sounds and string pads.

Otherwise, it's Kontakt all the way. Get the basics, and then look to build off that with Cinematic Strings or LA Scoring Strings or Vienna Ensemble.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Pls recommend me Strings/Orchestra VIs

Depends on what you want. I have east west gold and VSL chamber and solo strings. EW is great for big ensemble stuff. Their small ensemble and solo leave a lot to be desired. If you don't care about that-go EW.

I don't get these new phrase based things.
Old 21st December 2010
Project Sam Symphobia 1 and 2 is also good all in one orchestra lib.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

on a budget try Garitan
strings wise it dont get any better than LA strings.

East West and Vienna and yes project sam.

Scott
ADK

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search