The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does Joe Barresi Evil Drums make Metal Foundry SDX a double up?
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Head

Does Joe Barresi Evil Drums make Metal Foundry SDX a double up?

Hi

I just bought Joe Barresi Evil Drums for SDX and I'm trying to build up my drum sample library.

I'm also going to get the Music City SDX and I noticed my local music store had it on a special offer paired up with the Metal Foundry SDX.

I don't want to double up on sounds so I'm wondering if JBED covers everything MF SDX does or if MF SDX offers something different to JBED?

Does anyone have both and can give me an honest opinion.

Thanks
ts
Old 18th December 2010
LdC
Gear Maniac

They are totally different packs and there are no common sounds between them.

The kits in Evil Drums are a lot smaller (ie, number of cymbals and drums) but I believe they have more velocity levels and/or round robin alternatives. Metal Foundry has much bigger kits, and some with double kick. The kits in Evil Drums seem more cohesive, whereas Metal Foundry is more modern, with that separated metal sound. Evil Drums is more aimed at rock than metal. But they're just drum kits, so you can use them for pretty much anything, really.

I have both packs and think they're great. They each offer something different and in a way they complement each other.
Old 18th December 2010
Deleted User
Does anyone have both and can give me an honest opinion.

Thanks

I have both and they are totally different. Get both IMO

Im using the Metal kit for POP stuff BTW, its works with more than just Metal which is what I was afraid of, I dig it

I have all the SDX's now and am quite happy
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Head

Great, thanks guys

I'll grab both then .... I will then have all the SDX packs.

I wonder if they will do the original DFHS as an SDX as I still enjoy those sounds too.

Quote:
I'm using the Metal kit for POP stuff BTW, its works with more than just Metal which is what I was afraid of, I dig it
Great news, really I only do pop/rock stuff (no metal) but I still bought JBED because I have discovered that even for pop and rock BIG drums are great.

Whenever I have done a Phil Collinish/ Genesis type thing, I have been surprised just how big and heavy those guys made their drum sounds.

Some of that later Genesis stuff was like "metal" (small m) with synths and pop vocals but still really "big" drums.

Thanks for the heads up.

One last thing - did anyone upgrade their original C&V to the new SDX version - I wonder if I am daft paying £55 to buy the same sounds again in a new format.

I mean what's to stop Toontrack bringing out SD3 SDXII and charging everyone $100 per title to upgrade to another new format. I feel format upgrades like this should be free. I'm not a cash cow!

ts
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

I don't know if this is exactly what you were referring to, but it looks like this is some of the sounds from the original Drums from Hell:

Drumkit From Hell EZX Expansion Kit for EZ Drummer from audioMIDI.com
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Maniac
I have upgraded to the C&V Superior 2 SDX. I waited for a long time, and finding at half price I went for it. Glad I did! The presets are cool and the load times are fantastic! Yes, the drums are the same, but I find them more responsive with my TrapKat. Really, I was surprised how happy I am that I did the upgrade. I have not looked at Cris Whitten's MIDI stuff yet, I expect that to be an added bonus.
BTW, I have the original add ons, so I asked if I could get the Songwriter's MIDI pack and they gave me the code to download it.
Old 18th December 2010
Yes, unless you had the original C&V and the 'Add-On' (like scottfa) you'll be getting a bunch of extra sounds. Sounds that are in many cases the making of the library IMO.
There wont be a newer version, or re-release of the old DFHS.
I think the closest thing is that EZX (linked above).

(I have Evil Drums and find it one of the best sounding and most versatile SDX's, albeit smaller kits)
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Head

Thanks chrisso

I do already own C&V plus the Add On pack - so it will really just be shorter load times if I upgrade .... I just need to decide if that's worth £55.

Best
ts

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search