The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
macbook pro and PT9 questions
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear
macbook pro and PT9 questions

Hi I`m looking into a macbook pro and a PT9 setup. I`m currently running a couple of PC windows DAWs

I have a couple of questions

1. Is it possible to mix 60-70 tracks sessions using rtas? Is it comparable to a HD system at all? what is the limitation trackwise with a full blown mix with alot plugs, automation etc?

2. will the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter drive two 22" monitors as a dual monitor setup?

3. Is it easy to use two different soundcards, one for portable work and one for connecting to my main studio, using usb or firewire?(not at the same time though) I`m thinking an apogge one and a lightpipe Adat card.

Old 18th December 2010
1 - one of the points about TDM is it gives you exact limits. RTAS/Native is much more dependent on how many tracks etc you're running, routing etc. It's impossible to give anything other than fixed track/plugin counts for specific setups.

Yes it's comparable to an HD system - a native mac pro system easily has as much raw processing power as an HD3 - you just don't get the full low-latency monitoring etc when you're running a full mix on high buffer settings.

You don't mention what macbook pro you're looking at, but I'd have thought the more powerful ones will be very capable machines.

re soundcards - yep, easy as flipping a setting in preferences.
Old 18th December 2010
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear
thanks alot for the info. wow didn`t know it was that powerful.
I haven`t really updated my computers in a while. the laptop im typing at right now is actually an amilo from 2000 still going. LOL

Im looking for a more of a portable system as I have my trusty ol mix rig in the studio. still works great for tracking.

It would be nice to be able to hook the macbook pro easily up with my 22" monitors etc.

If someone knows how the dual link mini display port works, please chime in.

thanks, appreciate your helpthumbsup
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Nut

yea i am interested if the dual monitor capabilities aswell....guess i'll stop by the apple store when i get back from vacation to find out

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search