The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do I need more than 4Gb?
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Nut

Do I need more than 4Gb?

I got Cubase 5 full version. I am ordering a new PC. I think I will go with Windows 7, but I can't decide on the amount of RAM. 4Gb are cheaper, and 32 bit OS seems to be more stable. But I am not sure if I am going to regret soon... Any thoughts?
Thanks and regards
Martin
Old 18th December 2010
im running w7 32 bit with only 2 gb ram, i recorded one session that had 16 tracks, lots of plugins and sends. my ram usage was at about 80% though. i'll be adding 2 more gb's soon, should be plenty for me.
Old 18th December 2010
forgot to mention, record 24bit at 88.2 sample rate.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Nut

Landstrom, thanks for the reply. Do you use VST tracks or samples?
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Guru

One thing that helps stability quite a bit is to get good memory as one kit. That means it is best to buy a bit more memory now rather than to have to upgrade your memory later. (Obviously, adding memory later can never be one kit unless you replace all of it). So my advice would be to go for more memory now and save yourself some headaches down the line.

Alistair
Old 18th December 2010
yes, a few of those tracks were vst's, no samples though.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinoto View Post
I got Cubase 5 full version. I am ordering a new PC. I think I will go with Windows 7, but I can't decide on the amount of RAM. 4Gb are cheaper, and 32 bit OS seems to be more stable. But I am not sure if I am going to regret soon... Any thoughts?
Thanks and regards
Martin
A 32bit operating system will only let you have 3.5 GB of Ram no matte how many sticks you put in it, so if you want the cpu to even reconize the rest of it you will need to use 64-bit. If you do not want to use 64 bit programs (like me) you can install the 64 bit OS and still run the 32 bit programs.

Cubase 32 bit will only still adressed the limit of i believe 4 GB, but if you go say Windows 7 64 bit an 6 gigs a ram, your OS could use 2 gigs of ram and Cubase could be running 4 without any problems. I have Cubase 5.5 32bit on windows 7 64 bit with 7GB of ram and i must say it does not go any faster then when i had 32 bit BUT, it does not slow down AT ALL during very heavy track counts or using Nebula (works like a beast).

To answer your question, you do not NEED any amount of ram (besides what they say is needed to run the problem) but you will surly be thanking yourself later when you are running tons of tracks without any problems! thumbsup
Old 18th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
One thing that helps stability quite a bit is to get good memory as one kit. That means it is best to buy a bit more memory now rather than to have to upgrade your memory later. (Obviously, adding memory later can never be one kit unless you replace all of it). So my advice would be to go for more memory now and save yourself some headaches down the line.

Alistair
I agree, bought 4 gb kit but stick is bad (hopefully thats the problem), sending it back to corsair to have it replaced

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search