The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1080p lcd connect to 2008 macpro issues Consoles
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

1080p lcd connect to 2008 macpro issues

When I got my lcd tv, I hooked it up, and it worked, so I just forgot about it...

... but now I'm doing some video work, and I notice it's slightly stretched horizontally, so I want it set right

The tv said it was 1080p capable. I don't remember if there was any limitation for vga port.

When I look at vga display window in system prefs, i see that computer is set for 1600x1200.

I'm looking for a 1920x1080 setting, but it's not there. next up is 1920x1440

The tv has two aspect ratio settings, "normal" and "wide"

I had it on "wide" which is surely why it was stretching everything.

I took a ruler and measured, and a square reads as a square when the aspect is set on "normal"

Problem is it letterboxes the screen.

If I do "detect displays", I still only get options with 4:3 aspect ratio.

Is this a limitation of vga port?

Do I need to get dvi to hdmi adaptor and go in that way?

not sure what to do.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

I went through this a couple weeks ago with a 32" sony bravia.
VGA is more limited and 1600x1200 was so big i could only see a couple chanels.lol
My audio card also has DVI out so i tried DVI to HDMI and it will give you 1920x1080 (if it's not shown,you should have a force ratio option in your card's control panel).
The problem i found is that at higher res. the app. looked fine but it was hard to read track info and bus no. and such. The text is not that clear on a tv.
So i bought a 27" computer monitor for $400 They've come down in price.
Now it looks superb..Some people here have gotten results with monitor tv's but i couldn't to my satisfaction.
Hope you have better luck.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Not having those issues at all.

Everything's crystal clear and looks great... I just can't get the full width of the screen at the correct aspect ratio.

From a little digging, I suspect it's a limitation of tv's vga input, but not sure.
Old 17th December 2010
F5D
Lives for gear

Use a DVI-HDMI cable, 1080p tv-setting from your mac. Then you need to adjust the settings of your tv. By default it most probably looks just horrible. Select 1:1 pixel mapping or a similar setting, game mode (to get lowest possible latency), turn all image enhancing functions OFF, including sharpening (the most important to set to zero!). Then you need to adjust the colors etc. I have a Samsung 40" LED LCD TV and after proper adjustments, the picture and colors are great.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

OK... $60 DVI to HDMI cable later, and...

...Now it's much worse.

Display heading (where it used to say "VGA Display" now reads "PHD5039NUS"

My resolution options after detect displays are now
1024 x768
1024 x 768 (stretched)
1280 x 960
1344 x 756
1344 x 1008
1366 x 768
1600 x 900
1920 x 540

and I have an "overscan" button.

The 1600 x 900 appears to be the right ratio, but when selected, it shrinks the screen so black all around.

If I hit "overscan", it blows up image to slightly and rather irritatingly larger than actual screen... and with quite unacceptable pixel width issues.

Obviously I want 1920 x 1080.

Does the fact that it's showing 1920 x 540 mean it's only capable of 1080i? I could SWEAR I triple checked that it was 1080p when I bought it, and I'm now going in HDMI.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Ps. There is no option now... If I go into tv menu for aspect, it shows "wide" only.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Tried switchresx program as suggested elsewhere, and it can give me 1920x1080, but the screen is shrunk 1.5-3inches all around, and have some pixel width issues.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

looked back and saw that I missed there is a 1080p option in resolution options when going through hdmi cable without running switchresx

uninstalled switchresx, selected 1080p option, and same issue... some pixel width problems, and screen is shrunk a few inches all around...
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

OK, so... 8 solid HOURS of research and trial and error later, and here's what I've found.

IT DEPENDS ON YOUR TV. After hours of digging about ATI graphics card over/underscan issues, etc... some tvs have controls for 1:1 pixel mapping, overscan controls on hdmi inputs... AND SOME DON'T. Mine doesn't.

Actually, going through the hdmi input at all no matter what else you do causes unfixable problems if you have my particular tv. There is actually no way to make it work. The issue has to do with how it interperets and shrinks the incoming signal. To make things worse, my particular mac with it's particular ati card has only an overscan button with no slider, so the only other option is an oversized screen with menu bars cut off.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, because once I figured out to start in safe mode, delete my display preference, and restart, I was able to get it going on the vga input again.

Once I did that, it was a simple matter of using switchresx to add a custom resolution of 1920 x 1080. Ok... I had to read a bit of the manual, but it was a very simple case requiring no further tweaking.

So... done. It looks perfect. No flicker... text looks smooth. No problems.

Good news. I can't use the hdmi adapter cable at all, so I'll have to return it...

+$60

Bad news. There's no way to make it work on my tv WITHOUT switchresx or similar program. Apparently, the tv tells the mac to ONLY allow 4x3 aspect ratios when connected via vga input. Switchresx is required to override this on the mac's end.

-$20 or so... I'll have to check. It's on a demo right now.

Overall, though, it works out perfectly as vga gives me perfect 1:1 pixel mapping, so it's all good in the hood.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search