The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EWQL Hollywood Strings vs AudioBro LA Strings
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac
EWQL Hollywood Strings vs AudioBro LA Strings

I'm a power EWQL user with over 10 of their Play products, but also have a large Kontakt library of approx 54k presets. I've been looking at Hollywood Strings and impressed with the sounds. However, I've recently discovered Audio Bro's strings. I really like the sound quality of EastWest, but prefer the customization I get with my Kontakt instruments. So, with that said, I would like to know what other think.

Can anyone offer a solid comparison of sound quality, articulations, and ease of use?
Old 8th October 2012
Here for the gear

Sound quality is EW HS all the way. LASS is a good sound, but HS is Shawn Murphy's signature. Very smooth and incredibly convincing in demos.

I find LASS more customizable, but actually don't use it much anymore. LASS Divisi is phenomenal if you know what you're doing and don't mind spending more time programming. HS Strings Divisi I simply don't get how it is supposed to be used effectively given that there is only the close mic position. This is problematic, but again I wouldn't use that feature anyways due to time. I can tolerate "stacking" two patches on top of each other.

Articulations:

They are both deep, but I prefer HS Short articulations by a wide margin. The staccatissimo is my go-to, but all the shorts are fantastic.

Both legatos are very comparable. I find I can get a more convincing legato out of HS but there is increased latency. LASS is hands down more playable. HS run simulator is fantastic, as well as sampled runs/fx. Runs with LASS are not convincing IMO.

Ease of use:

Depends on how you want to use it. LASS has some great features, but something like the auto-divisi is a bit unwieldy for me.

I find I have fewer tracks to look at with HS, which is why I use it more. Lower track count speeds up my process, even factoring in the increased latency of HS.

If you are scoring games, movies, tv and the like I wouldn't hesitate for HS. Classical composer? Maybe the divisi options for LASS is a better choice.

Watch the walkthroughs on their websites, I find those much more helpful to understanding what the library is about than demos.
Old 8th October 2012
Lives for gear

youll find plenty more info in this forum

v.i. control forum • Home [ Guest ]

there are several threads about LASS vs HS but that forums' search functino blows.

but if you ask im sure a lot wil respond.

plus there are a lot of user demos

and of course, mr daniel james who does some long walkthroughs

LASS Vs Hollywood Strings Part1 (General Comparison) - YouTube

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search