The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Change from Windows XP > Windows 7 Other Controllers
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Addict

Change from Windows XP > Windows 7

Hi there

I have used Windows XP 32-Bit for more than 5 years and I plan to upgrade to Windows 7.

Which version of Windows 7 should I use?
- Home or Professional or Ultimate?
- 32-bit or 64-bit?

I think, the decision is based on my current setup, so here is the list:

Hardware:
- PC: i920 CPU, GA-X58 motherboard, 3 GB RAM Triple Channel, 2 x 750 GB HDD, ATI Radeon graphic card (passive)
- RME HDSP 9632
- UAD-2 Quad
- Focusrite Liquid Mix
- AKAI APC40
- NI Maschine
- NI Kore 2 Controller
- Novation Nocturn Keyboard

Software:
- Ableton Live Suite 8.2.1
- FL Studio 9
- Wavelab 7
- Arturia Vintage Collection II
- NI Komplete 7
- NI Kore 2
- all UAD plugins
- SPL plugins
- PSP audioware plugins
- Brainworx Plugins
- Sonnox plugins
- Elysia plugins
- Lexicon reverb bundle
- Softube plugins
- Soundtoys plugins

Thanks in advance
Nico
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Unless your sticking in more than 16Gb of ram I'd imagine Home will do you.

32bit will be fine for you currently as you only have 3Gb but if you have any plans at all to increase the memory in the future then 64bit will be required.

Personally in your position I'd go Home 64bit but you need to check up on software compatability etc first.

Ableton still has no 64bit native solution (last time I checked anyhow, but I don't use it) but it will run within a 64bit enviroment fine in real terms. Also give's you a higher available memory limit as well once you expand your physical ram upwards. Best bet is to check with your various software suppliers on their message boards.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Change from Windows XP > Windows 7

I think home version doesn't have XP simulations to run XP software. Professional and above version sopport that. I think you should check if you need this feature.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

win7 64bit home. There is no reason to go with the 32bit version, you will gain very little over xp32. All your hardware should be supported (but check of course) and definitely get more RAM. Software compatibility is a non-issue since 7 runs 64bit and 32bit software just fine. I'm sure that there are some exceptions, but I have yet to see one and 99% of the software on my system is 32bit and all of it runs fine (even the old stuff)

you dont need pro or ultimate. XP mode is just a VM and useless for audio work since it does not virtualize hardware beyond USB devices
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Addict

thanks a lot, guys.

I checked all the hardware and everything is compatible to 64-bit.

Most of the plugins are compatible to 64-bit.
Ableton Live still does not support 64 bit.
Does that mean, it does run smooth on Windows 7 64-bit?

However, maybe Live runs a little bit smoother on Windows 7 than on my current XP SP3 where I always get crashes when both looping and moving forward and backward in arrangement view.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmow View Post
I think home version doesn't have XP simulations to run XP software. Professional and above version sopport that. I think you should check if you need this feature.
True but I don't know a single person who's had to use that for audio use.

All the host's I know of will run in 32bit mode within a 64bit win 7 install. If you wanted to run something inside of a XP virtual machine you'd have to install the sequencer and all the plugin's into the virtual enviroment just to maintain compatability. Once you get into the overhead required to manage it inside of the primary O.S. you might as well just keep running the machine you have now no matter how old it is.

It's a handy feature if you have to run a specfic client inside a 32 bit xp enviroment (say an office accounting program that your whole company uses) and you can't afford to upgrade 1000 machines at this time, but for someone wanting to work within a vst host it's a little impratical and not worth the overhead just to get a plug in or two working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicogrubert View Post

It does, but you have to install it in 32bit mode (into the x86 folder) and if your using a 32bit host you'll need to remain with the 32bit plug in's as well.

The client is then restricted to a maximum available memory allocation of just under 4Gb. This is admittedly better than the 2.5Gb your likely to get from a 32bit O.S. and is a key advantage because in a 64bit O.S. you can use all the memory above the 4Gb level to run the o.s. and applications in the back ground. 6Gb is the ideal amount of memory if your doing this with more only being needed if you can install a 64bit sequencer that can make use of it all.

Quote:
However, maybe Live runs a little bit smoother on Windows 7 than on my current XP SP3 where I always get crashes when both looping and moving forward and backward in arrangement view.
It's possible. I don't now what projects your working with, but if they are sizeable they may benifit.
Old 17th December 2010
Quote:
thanks a lot, guys.

We only just started supporting Ableton, but so far it seems to run fine on W7x64. It is a 32 bit app so it won't load 64 bit plugins, but most plugins are available as 32 bit anyway.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Works like a charm. Just make sure you re-install all your software when you are done installing Win 7 64 bit.

Quote:
However, maybe Live runs a little bit smoother on Windows 7 than on my current XP SP3 where I always get crashes when both looping and moving forward and backward in arrangement view
This sounds to me as a graphics card problem. you might want to check out your drivers. Could be hardware acceleration on graphics card also.
Win 7 will solve some of your problems

Just make sure you go for 64bit. Prepare for the future..not for the past.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicProducer View Post
[...]
This sounds to me as a graphics card problem. you might want to check out your drivers. Could be hardware acceleration on graphics card also.
Win 7 will solve some of your problems
[...]
ahhh....very good hint.
This could also be the problem when some of my arturia plugins cannot display the GUI anymore from time to time (I think it happens in huge projects with lots if CPU and RAM usage).
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

I don't see where you have anything in particular to gain. Personally, I'll probably make the switch next year sometime, but I'm in no hurry to upset a working system. When all of my softwares are 64 bit and have a few months of maturity behind them, I'll jump.

I've been running Win 7 in both 64 and 32 bit on non-audio machines, and I have no complaints. But like all new OSes, it eats more CPUs than the previous version, gives you more bells and whistles, but takes away more control.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Addict

My current win xp system is full of crap so I need to make a cleanup anyway.
For that reason I decided to switch to windows 7 to get a bit familiar with win 7 and I hope my current issues may be solved.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

I switched from XP to Win 7 Home 64-bit some time ago and I am quite pleased. Of course, going from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit basically requires a complete re-install (although the Win 7 disc DOES allow you to overwrite your XP 32-bit installation, and saves the entire 32-bit installation as its own directory, which can subsequently be deleted when you ready).

I installed both the 32-bit Cubase 5 and the 64-bit version. Both work fine. I have 8Gb RAM. Using 32bit Cubase under the Win 7 64bit, I am able to access a bit more RAM than before, which helped immensely with hungry apps like Omnishpere and BFD2. It's even better under Cubase 64-bit, which if I'm not mistaken will allow access to up to 16Gb RAM -- more than I think any DAW needs
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
My current win xp system is full of crap so I need to make a cleanup anyway.
For that reason I decided to switch to windows 7 to get a bit familiar with win 7 and I hope my current issues may be solved.
Try running pc decrapifier, revo uninstaller.
Old 18th December 2010
soulstudios
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Try running pc decrapifier, revo uninstaller.
And my sig

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search