The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Low-system-resource DAW for PC mini laptop DAW Software
Old 17th December 2010
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

Low-system-resource DAW for PC mini laptop

Hey everyone! I usually use Logic 9 and Pro Tools on my Mac Pro. Unfortunately, I'm bound to my tiny and slow Dell Inspiron mini while traveling.

[Specs: Intel Atom CPU @ 1.60Ghz - 1GB Ram - 150GB HD Space]

I'm looking to purchase a DAW that is relatively low on system resources, but is still useable for pro-application (with some regular bouncing of tracks, of course). As I don't have a I/O, I will not be recording.

I will be restricted to sequencing and mixing mostly electronic, sample-based composition (i.e., pop, dance & hip-hop tracks), so programs that are built for a great MIDI & sequencing workflow and that include samples are a plus.

I'm unaware if programs like Fruity Loops & Reason can be used to make serious tracks. Please enlighten me as to what programs would be a great buy so I can make some music as I see the world.

Thanks!
Old 18th December 2010
  #2
Here for the gear
 

Have you tried Reaper?

REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits
Old 18th December 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 

For a straight up DAW, Reaper is exactly what you're looking for. However, it doesn't come with any included virtual instruments or samplers.

Reason is great and relatively low on resource drain, but imo, it's limited in terms of it's mixing capabilities, etc. However, If you combine the two, you'll have a pretty powerful setup that's easy on your CPU.

That said, I've never tried to use either on a netbook.
Old 18th December 2010
  #4
if you checkout the reaper forum there are threads on there about people who have used it on netbooks.
Old 18th December 2010
  #5
Gear Addict
 
JRock's Avatar
 

I only have a netbook. An Acer EeePC. I can chop samples on it in audacity, but even with Reaper, the midi Latency is about a second, or more. Reaper is probably your best bet, but...
These things are not made for multitasking. Pugins slow it down SO much.
If you find something that works please post it. Cause I would love to know about itthumbsup
Old 18th December 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 
filipv's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ialsoeathummus View Post
I'm unaware if programs like Fruity Loops & Reason can be used to make serious tracks.
Rest assured: if you're serious, absolutely any program can indeed be used to make serious tracks.

For your Atom I'd recommend Record + Reason
Old 18th December 2010
  #7
soulstudios
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ialsoeathummus View Post
Hey everyone! I usually use Logic 9 and Pro Tools on my Mac Pro. Unfortunately, I'm bound to my tiny and slow Dell Inspiron mini while traveling.

[Specs: Intel Atom CPU @ 1.60Ghz - 1GB Ram - 150GB HD Space]

I'm looking to purchase a DAW that is relatively low on system resources, but is still useable for pro-application (with some regular bouncing of tracks, of course). As I don't have a I/O, I will not be recording.

I will be restricted to sequencing and mixing mostly electronic, sample-based composition (i.e., pop, dance & hip-hop tracks), so programs that are built for a great MIDI & sequencing workflow and that include samples are a plus.

I'm unaware if programs like Fruity Loops & Reason can be used to make serious tracks. Please enlighten me as to what programs would be a great buy so I can make some music as I see the world.

Thanks!
Hi Ican'tpronounceyourusername.
The first thing to do, is to create a nlite version of your XP CD, assuming that's what you're running, and you should be with that amount of ram (or 2k).
This'll help make the most of your (not terribly limited) resources and give you the best shot of getting something out of your DAW (you should try reaper btw).

Here's a couple of my regulars to get you started:
http://www.xpfree.org/nlite-xp-sp3-u...a-stripped.ini
http://www.xpfree.org/nlite-xp-sp3-u...mal-laptop.ini

The main thing in nlite laptop installations is to make sure wireless still works after you remove everything. I know the second does, not so sure about the first (haven't tested sufficiently). But the first is about 100MB more stripped on the ISO than the second, so try that first if you can.

Making your OS as streamlined as poss is the first step to getting low latencies - the second being, don't overload it with crap!

I have a laptop with about half the speed of your netbook, and a quarter the HDD space, and I get decent DAW usage out of it for lightweight products.
See sig for more details.
Old 19th December 2010
  #8
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipv View Post
Rest assured: if you're serious, absolutely any program can indeed be used to make serious tracks.

For your Atom I'd recommend Record + Reason
Is reason used by professionals, or does it find it's limits at prosumers.

And is it easy to bounce soft-synth tracks in reason in order to save CPU?
Old 19th December 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 
filipv's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ialsoeathummus View Post
Is reason used by professionals, or does it find it's limits at prosumers.
It is. 32 bit fp is very professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ialsoeathummus View Post
And is it easy to bounce soft-synth tracks in reason in order to save CPU?
In Reason alone it's not very easy (although it's still doable by all means). But if you have Reason + Record OR Reason + Any_audio_editor, then it's easy as pie.

I recommended Reason + Record, not just Reason.
Old 15th May 2014
  #10
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipv View Post
But if you have Reason + Record OR Reason + Any_audio_editor, then it's easy as pie.

I recommended Reason + Record, not just Reason.
You'll never get Record to run on that system. I've tried. That and Reason 6, 7 won't either. Good news though, Reason 5 runs great. Rewire for Reason inside of a light DAW is doable. Watch out for CPU intensive plug ins and you should be fine. I'm not sure if Reaper can handle Rewire. I'm going to try it out after I finish this post. I'll let you know. Reaper is quite inexpensive compared to other DAWS btw.

Last edited by tera3yte; 15th May 2014 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: pss
Old 15th May 2014
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ialsoeathummus View Post
Hey everyone! I usually use Logic 9 and Pro Tools on my Mac Pro. Unfortunately, I'm bound to my tiny and slow Dell Inspiron mini while traveling.

[Specs: Intel Atom CPU @ 1.60Ghz - 1GB Ram - 150GB HD Space]

I'm looking to purchase a DAW that is relatively low on system resources, but is still useable for pro-application (with some regular bouncing of tracks, of course). As I don't have a I/O, I will not be recording.

I will be restricted to sequencing and mixing mostly electronic, sample-based composition (i.e., pop, dance & hip-hop tracks), so programs that are built for a great MIDI & sequencing workflow and that include samples are a plus.

I'm unaware if programs like Fruity Loops & Reason can be used to make serious tracks. Please enlighten me as to what programs would be a great buy so I can make some music as I see the world.

Thanks!
Reaper is the obvious choice. It runs on everything, even old throw-away laptops.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Michael Carnes / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
10
TheLoud1Please / Music Computers
3
hrn / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
5

Forum Jump
Forum Jump