The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
As of January '11 Apple starts to charge 30% for Pro Audio software distribution Single-Channel Preamps
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear
As of January '11 Apple starts to charge 30% for Pro Audio software distribution

The App Store is coming. The Audio industry missed the chance to establish their own solution.

Microsoft will follow.

Discuss and think as you like.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein View Post
The App Store is coming. The Audio industry missed the chance to establish their own solution.

Microsoft will follow.

Discuss and think as you like.
Charging 30% to companies to distribute their pro audio software? I thought they were just selling computer apps like iphone apps but for computers. You saying they are going to sell pro audio software that rivals their own Logic Pro like Cubase and DP?
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

If the OS X app store turns out to be like the iapp store, I might switch to Windows 7 sometime in the future. It's so eeeeeasy now we have those Intel Macs. That's always an option.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Your post is not very clear and a link would be nice.

AFAIK the app store will just be for shareware apps, not professional apps. For example selling Logic or Final Cut Pro through the app store is not a realistic option due to the size of the included media.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Imo most of the apps that you'll see will fall somewhere between dashboard widgets and most shareware apps that we know now. I've seen nothing that relates to plugin sales which is the place you'd think this would be most applicable for audio users...
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Well first of all not all the applications will be sold this way, certainly not the music software that can be 100 GB or more. Secondly, it i will be just one new way to buy and install software. It will make sense to some companies and others will just do it the old fashioned way.
Old 17th December 2010
It probably will cause specialized distributors to loose (smaller) lines.
I don't like where it will be heading, but we could see this coming years ago.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

It's just another distribution channel for software, just like macupdate or versiontracker. Apple already have a download section that's been available for years, just never handled payments.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
Your post is not very clear and a link would be nice.

AFAIK the app store will just be for shareware apps, not professional apps. For example selling Logic or Final Cut Pro through the app store is not a realistic option due to the size of the included media.
I'm not 100% sure about your comment. I agree with you in that they probably will not be selling large professional apps - but disagree in that they *could* - For example I purchased Steven Slate Drums platinum package (approximately 10GB compressed) for immediate download- took an hour or so to download on cable internet connection.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Definitely misleading title, as pointed out.
The pro audio software market should not be touched at all (and plug-ins should not be allowed).
We could see new small music apps, like those developed for iOS. Definitely more fun (or utility) than pro stuff anyway.

Mac App Store - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Under The Microscope » Blog Archive » Quick Thoughts on the Mac App Store
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear
Steve Jobs positioned Apple against Blueray discs, because he says the future is downloads... so you can imagine where Apple is going.

The CD/DVD drive has max 5 years from now there will be no followup product except maybe solid state drives, sticks and devices..
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Steve Jobs positioned Apple against Blueray discs, because he says the future is downloads... so you can imagine where Apple is going.

The CD/DVD drive has max 5 years from now there will be no followup product except maybe solid state drives, sticks and devices..
??? What does that have to do with your topic and first post which was not accurate to say the least?
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear
The way software and content is being delivered is changing..
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

As of January '11 Apple starts to charge 30% for Pro Audio software distribution

This thread is fail.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckduffy View Post
I'm not 100% sure about your comment. I agree with you in that they probably will not be selling large professional apps - but disagree in that they *could* - For example I purchased Steven Slate Drums platinum package (approximately 10GB compressed) for immediate download- took an hour or so to download on cable internet connection.
I'm not talking about 10GB, I'm talking about 50GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekohler View Post
This thread is fail.
+1
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear
I believe that the Pro Audio industry should get their act together before it's too late..
Old 17th December 2010
Quote:

Maybe in California, but a large part of the worldwide customer base is still on dial up.
Many ISP's are hoping to move to a pay per Gig business model. So I'd be like paying twice, especially for larger products. The internet has also reached a crisis point in Western democracies, where speeds are slowing or stalled, and huge amounts need to be spent to move infrastructure to the next level. Force more and more people to download bigger and bigger files and the web will shudder to a halt.
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I believe that the Pro Audio industry should get their act together before it's too late..
what more do you want them to do? you can already get direct downloadable versions of every pro audio software from pro tools to waves to whatever audio software that's available direct from the company or a retailer like sweetwater.

even Apple can't devise a way for you to download that new BAE 1073mpf dual preamp heh
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Maybe in California, but a large part of the worldwide customer base is still on dial up.
Many ISP's are hoping to move to a pay per Gig business model. So I'd be like paying twice, especially for larger products. The internet has also reached a crisis point in Western democracies, where speeds are slowing or stalled, and huge amounts need to be spent to move infrastructure to the next level. Force more and more people to download bigger and bigger files and the web will shudder to a halt.

Which large part of the worldwide customer base are you referring to?

I'm not saying everybody in the world has a connection that can handle 10GB downloads, but if I look around in my country. 20 to 25mb connections are pretty much the bottom standard from every ISP. And pay per gig is virtually non-existent. 100+ is still expensive but becoming more and more affordable. My country is part of the western world and, admittedly, at the top of it. But I really don't understand what crisis point you're talking about.

I'm not implying that that's the standard for the rest of the world, but what sizable market are you talking about when you speak of dial-up... I mean, seriously

Anyway, this topic is pointless. The Starter should've done some research before implying that Apple will only allow software on their computers that is sold in the new app store. It's great for small developers to get their stuff out to the masses. It's irrelevant for Audio atm.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavano View Post
I'm not implying that that's the standard for the rest of the world, but what sizable market are you talking about when you speak of dial-up... I mean, seriously
The US. They seriously lagging behind as far as broadband is concerned. Bandwidth in NL is indeed cheap and plentiful.

For the Americans that have no idea what we are talking about: Cable TV/Radio + 120 Mbit/s Internet = 87,30/month. (And of course lower-bandwidth is much cheaper). The lowest bandwidth connections these days start at around 5 Mbit/s.

Alistair
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Apple will do a good job with this. It will be easier for people to buy and maintain their software so more people will do it legally. The distro chain will be so much easier to deal with that companies will be able to lower their prices and again stimulate more legit sales.

The only way to compete with "free" is giving a better product. Right now torrents are not only free, they are also better products because there's no hassle of dealing with a fractured system of copy protection and update procedures. Once Apple makes updating and protecting software as easy as one button click, and plug ins start costing $20, people will start preferring the paid option, just like the iPhone app store. Tons of people will pay $20 for a music app just because they want to fill up their collection.

Just watch.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

I'll go further and say that I think now is a good time to invest in Mac developers. I can't wait to start spending my money in Mac app store on games and music apps. It'll be sweet!
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
The US. They seriously lagging behind as far as broadband is concerned. Bandwidth in NL is indeed cheap and plentiful.

For the Americans that have no idea what we are talking about: Cable TV/Radio + 120 Mbit/s Internet = 87,30/month. (And of course lower-bandwidth is much cheaper). The lowest bandwidth connections these days start at around 5 Mbit/s.

Alistair
Wow. I knew you guys had it really good over there, but that boggles my imagination.

Chris is in Australia, which generally lags behind the US by a bit. I'm in Samoa, where I pay $50US/month for a maximum speed of 256kbit/s. I never reach that maximum speed, of course. That's all theoretical.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markham View Post
Wow. I knew you guys had it really good over there, but that boggles my imagination.

Chris is in Australia, which generally lags behind the US by a bit. I'm in Samoa, where I pay $50US/month for a maximum speed of 256kbit/s. I never reach that maximum speed, of course. That's all theoretical.
It's hard to compare the US to Holland. We got 16m people in a country slightly bigger than Maryland. In a country as densely populated as mine broadband internet obviously is easily distributed.

I can imagine that it's very expansive to get broadband internet to tiny villages in Wyoming (let alone 98% of Australia, but 98% of the people live in the other 2%), but people in decent size cities surely can do better than a 2mb connection for $50/m...
Old 18th December 2010
Quote:

Which large part of the worldwide customer base are you referring to?

I'm not saying everybody in the world has a connection that can handle 10GB downloads, but if I look around in my country. 20 to 25mb connections are pretty much the bottom standard from every ISP.
According to 2008/09 data:
Quote:
According to a report published today by the European Commission, 24% of the EU population had a broadband access line subscription in July 2009, up from 21.6% in July 2008. The report also shows that mobile broadband is gaining momentum in Europe, with a 54% increase since January and now at a penetration rate of 4.2% per 100 citizens. Last but not least, broadband internet connections in Europe are increasingly faster. 80% of broadband lines in the EU now have download speeds of 2 megabits per second (Mbps) or greater (allowing the use of Web 2.0 and video streaming), which is 5% up from last year.

Denmark and the Netherlands continue to be world leaders in broadband take up, with nearly 40% of the population having a broadband connection, but growth rates are slowing as they approach saturation. Nine EU countries ( Denmark 37.3%, the Netherlands 36.2%, Sweden 31.3%, Finland 30.7%, Luxembourg 28.8%, the United Kingdom 28.4%, France 27.7%, Germany 27.5% and now also Belgium 27.5%) are above the United States, where the level of broadband take up stands at 25.8% and is slowing
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Nut

The app store and iTunes Store isn't currently available to any South African residents plus the fact that for a 384kbps line ($40) with a 5gig cap ($25). I live in Johannesburg, the economic hub of Africa. I have been trying for 2 months to download a 800 meg file from Ableton, but have not got past 500mb without the download being dropped. I don't imagine our bandwidth problem being solved in the next 20-50 years.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
It's hard to compare the US to Holland. We got 16m people in a country slightly bigger than Maryland. In a country as densely populated as mine broadband internet obviously is easily distributed.

I can imagine that it's very expansive to get broadband internet to tiny villages in Wyoming (let alone 98% of Australia, but 98% of the people live in the other 2%), but people in decent size cities surely can do better than a 2mb connection for $50/m...
Population density makes it cheaper in the Netherlands but geographical location also plays an important part. The data has to get to and from Australia or South Africa through expensive sea lines or (relatively speaking) slow satellite uplinks.

The Netherlands has the world's largest public internet exchange in Amsterdam (https://www.ams-ix.net/), literally a couple of miles from my house. The second and third largest are just a network hop away in Frankfurt and London (https://www.linx.net/ , https://www.de-cix.net/index.html). So not only do we get big pipes for cheap, we can fill them as there are no bottlenecks on our side.

The latest broadband figures: OECD Broadband Portal

So as far as I am concerned, the more downloadable software, the better.

Alistair
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ah, lucky to be on the other side...
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Maniac

I find this interesting about the Mac App Store:

"You can install Mac apps on every Mac you use and even download them again. This is especially convenient when you buy a new Mac and want to load it with apps you already own."

Finnish: Apple did such a huge thing with App Store that I find it hard to believe that other players wouldn't follow Apple here. They will likely see how it takes off and follow with similar stores of their own.

Muitakin suomalaisia tällä siis kuin minä :-)
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

In Sweden many apartments come with 10/100 Gbit uplinks for free. Or you can buy 10 Gbit ADSL for some 50$/month. No caps.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search