The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
As of January '11 Apple starts to charge 30% for Pro Audio software distribution Single-Channel Preamps
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

In Australia all our providers are pay per GIG
Old 19th December 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesH View Post
In Sweden many apartments come with 10/100 Gbit uplinks for free. Or you can buy 10 Gbit ADSL for some 50$/month. No caps.
I think you mean Mbit.

Alistair
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

In Norway, most homes have a 1 Gbit link that's used for Internet, telephone and TV. The link is free, Internet is about 40$/month and really fast. There's no cap on it either.
Old 24th January 2011
Lives for gear
I have to correct: Apple charges 40%. So far there is one sequencer available that supports both AU and VST plugins.
Old 24th January 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
The US. They seriously lagging behind as far as broadband is concerned. Bandwidth in NL is indeed cheap and plentiful.

For the Americans that have no idea what we are talking about: Cable TV/Radio + 120 Mbit/s Internet = 87,30/month. (And of course lower-bandwidth is much cheaper). The lowest bandwidth connections these days start at around 5 Mbit/s.

Alistair

A lot easier to do the necessary architecture when the Netherlands is probably the size of Rhode Island. heh
Old 24th January 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Kaind View Post
The app store and iTunes Store isn't currently available to any South African residents plus the fact that for a 384kbps line ($40) with a 5gig cap ($25). I live in Johannesburg, the economic hub of Africa. I have been trying for 2 months to download a 800 meg file from Ableton, but have not got past 500mb without the download being dropped. I don't imagine our bandwidth problem being solved in the next 20-50 years.
A friend of mine who lives near you had his line stolen! They had no phone or internet for a few months. I guess there is a big market for stolen copper.

~Jay
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

I'm really interested/scared what Apple will do with Logic. No bundles allowed + plus no upgrades = old users are screwed!

In theory though I really like the idea. Software installs stink now. No upgrade path is a big issue though! Only way I would switch now is if companies charged 45% less for software. Because of Windows no developer will do this. Maybe if the software gets ported to Windows?

Interestingly, Redmatica is in the app store, but I'm doubtful any other powerful software packages will follow.

That the "apps" for sale have to be actual software programs that run is disappointing too. It would be a great way to find sample libraries, effects and instruments. Even things like presets and midi files might be interesting to buy. Of course the store needs better sorting/search options and categories. The iOS Appstore is beyond poorly organized, but I love the reviews.

Anyone know the real details about plugins? Could a developer bundle the au/vst with a host? NI has a leg up on the competition since all their software has standalone versions. Maybe NI could license the tech to other vst/sample library makers for a small fee?

Still, it's a fun way now to browse around for small cheap programs. For a non-pro audio use it's brilliant. The price point Apple has set for their own productivity software is killer.
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

I think it could be a good thing. The App store encourages downloads because it is so easy. It's a good way to market software to the masses, and means more revenue for the software company, either for R&D and development, or even to reduce prices.

Look at Aperture. It was originally a $299 pro app, now it's going for $79 on the app store.

And 30% up-charge? Well, in this case Apple is the distributor and retailer. Considering that, 30% isn't much at all, if all you have to do is upload an app and collect money.
Old 25th January 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobz View Post
In Australia all our providers are pay per GIG
Which is why we need the government backed, NBN (National Broadband Network) so badly in Australia. Just as our telephone network is essential infrastructure, our broadband network should be treated as the same.

The problem is the common belief in Australia is the opposite. Ignorant voters being preached to by equally ignorant Politicians. Generalisation time - The older Australian's that are intimidated by the 'interwebs' and 'my face book' and 'texting' and don't want to admit it would rather listen the right-wing poo-pooing of the scheme than admit their insecurities. They then justify this stance with stupid, unsubstantiated projections of expense and completely wrong 'technical' information and advice.

We cannot get left behind because of this generation of pollies and their lack of vision. Not for our sake or our kids' sake.

So how does this tie in with the topic? There is no doubt that, for better or for worse, content delivery via the internet is the now and the future.

Deal with it.

BUT, I don't agree with the Apple model. My iPhone's battle scars can attest to that! Why can't I just drop my apps on to my phone? It worked yesterday? Hang on, some apps have been deleted. What the fu... Damn you Jobs!

Be prepared for the incredible restrictions and being told 'thanks for your comments, but we know better'.

If one good thing comes out of this, I think with things like broadband plans, they are driven by customer demand and the Mac App Store will no doubt drive it. Foxtel over Xbox360 with also drive it. Gigabytes of legitimate software downloads will drive it. Don't expect telco's to come out and give if no-one is asking for it. They'll happily take our money only giving us what we need, not what we should have.

</rant>
Old 25th January 2011
Lives for gear

the funny thing is the new site's already been cracked heh

Anyway i don't like where this is going either, I think itunes has become too powerful and a complete monopoly, it's worse than the record companies of old it's replaced. It doesn't help new bands or invest in talent,what does Apple give back to the artisitc world?

Anyway I've sold my Macbook pro and my iphone because of the way things are going with the whole itunes/app store.

got myself a nice HP envy 15 i7 quad 12/gig ram windows 7 x64 laptop and a HT desire android phone so I can chose how and what I install on my computers.

Regarding internet; the UK is about 8 th in the european broadband speed league, if you're outside a large City you're still at the mercy of Aluminium telephone wire designed 50 years ago for phone signals.In London my 20Mbit broadband get throttled on an evening due to the contention rate and at our place in Cornwall the BT 'broad band ' runs about dial up speeds 56kb as we're at the end of the line from the exchange :(

MC

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search