The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic Pro 8 or PT 7 for stability on a Mac Desktop Synthesizers
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Head

Logic Pro 8 or PT 7 for stability on a Mac

Hey all,

I did a search for this, and found a lot of useful info, but nothing that totally answers my question. I have had both Logic Pro 8.0.2 and Pro Tools 7.4.2 installed on my Macbook for some time, but haven't really been recording much at all. Next month I am going in to do some demo stuff with my band, and I'm trying to decide which program to use. My main concern is stability. I have had bad experiences on older machines and earlier versions of Pro Tools with session crippling, constant crashes. To be fair, I haven't used Logic enough to compare, but what I have done didn't crash on me anyway.

So... I guess my criteria would be, in order of importance:

1) Stability. What is going to give me the least performance problems running 16-24 tracks of audio?

2) What is going to be the easiest to use, in terms of workflow? I am more familiar with Pro Tools, but just barely. I'd consider myself a beginner on either one.

Laptop specs are:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.1 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear
You and I have the same macbook. It's just barely powerful enough to do what you need it to do.

The only one who can actually answer your questions is you. Whichever DAW your more comfortable with will mean less trouble in the end. With that said, RTAS plugs seem to require more cpu power than AU or VST plugs from my experience.

Whichever you use, make sure you're bouncing a lot of stuff down to keep your cpu resources in check...actually if you'll be doing a lot of bouncing, Logic may be better since you cannot offline bounce in PT.
Old 17th December 2010
Logic Pro 8 or PT 7 for stability on a Mac

Pt both for stability and simplicity. Logic might have the edge when it comes to amount of plugin instruments it's possible to run, but that's about it. Pt is also way more suitable for live band tracking as well, IME.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Head

Hmmm. Interesting about the Mac speed. I was over at a friends place last night and he is running almost the same Macbook. He has a 2.2 ghz processor is the only difference. So an extra 100mhz over me. But I asked him the same question and he demonstrated that he'd been running a session with almost 80 tracks, and dozens of plugins. It was running, but barely. I kind of took that to mean that if I ran something a third of the size, I'd probably be ok. This was in Pro Tools 9, by the way.
Old 17th December 2010
Snow Leopard is a bit more efficient I think.

There will be absolutely NO problem running 24 tracks audio on that machine. I got up to 64 tracks on my old G4 at 44.1.

Plugins/mixing - you might struggle a bit more.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search