The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which DAW software is right for me?? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Another vote for Reaper. The great thing is you can download a fully functional trial version (which does not expire). If you love it, the license is inexpensive. Like Sonar, it's easy to install on multiple PC's, like a laptop and a desktop. The license does not get in the way of using it.

There are also a ton of great VST/VSTi plug-ins available that are excellent. Reaper also has a great collection of plug-ins (ugly user interface, but compact).
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear Addict

Any Questions about Samplitude, please email me...

tdolbear at magix.net
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

My choices would be as follows:

1. Stick with Sonar as you know it already. MIDI support is very good and mature as well.
2. Reaper is excellent and you can try it for free with no limitations.
3. Since you are a composer, Studio One is another good choice as the work flow is very intuitive and it uses drag and drop a lot so you spend less time navigating menus or remembering keyboard short cuts.

Like the others said, don't buy ANY DAW software based on the plugins. You will probably be disappointed. Yes there are some diamonds out there, the ProChannel seems to be excellent for example, but in general you can do much better with add on programs.
Old 26th December 2010
Here for the gear

Logic is a pain to compose in...

I think the best advice is to play towards your strengths...if you're not a studio sound engineer, then go with what helps you make music--the only reason studio musicians and studio producers prefer Pro Tools or Logic is that it saves them money when working with a Pro--not because those software packages are easy. For example, Apple's Garageband is way easier to use than Logic. There are things you can't do with Garageband such as automation and sidechaining. But for the same money just get a top rated synth (like FutureMusic's picks Omnisphere, Zebra2, Sylenth, etc).

Frankly, I sorry I bought Logic--it is complicated, hard to work with, and cramped UI on a laptop.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Since a couple of weeks back, it is extremely easy to pick the right option. If you want the best and be compatible with the pro´s go Pro Tools 9.
Old 26th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
Since a couple of weeks back, it is extremely easy to pick the right option. If you want the best and be compatible with the pro´s go Pro Tools 9.
false. too broad of a stroke for that to be true. protools is not necessarily the best for every situation (probably not best in most situations). if you want to be compatible with a lot of other users, protools will achieve that, but being "pro" and using protools are not synonymous.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search