The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I can't play 2 audio apps at the same time with RME Multiface I Audio Interfaces
Old 16th December 2010
  #1
Gear Addict
 

I can't play 2 audio apps at the same time with RME Multiface I

I was reading lots of threads at RME's forum these days, but I didn't found yet how to play sound from Ableton and VLC at the same time. I have to close Ableton and open VLC (or Winamp) everytime, and this is killing my workflow. Maybe looks stupid, but I like a lot to make A/B comparisons on the fly...

Anybody?

Thanks in advance!
Old 16th December 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 
valis's Avatar
ASIO overrides directsound output as it should, to avoid system sounds from affecting your samplerate during playback.

So, trying to use Live with ASIO and then playback of additional media using default OS playback mechanisms (directsound/wav/wdm) will not work. I have a Multiface I on a Win7 box and use the onboard soundcard for directsound/wav playback alongside an ASIO app.
Old 16th December 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 
dark blue man's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by abecedari View Post
I was reading lots of threads at RME's forum these days, but I didn't found yet how to play sound from Ableton and VLC at the same time. I have to close Ableton and open VLC (or Winamp) everytime, and this is killing my workflow. Maybe looks stupid, but I like a lot to make A/B comparisons on the fly...

Anybody?

Thanks in advance!
Make sure Ableton has Asio set has it's audio driver. Make sure VLC and Winamp use directsound (or whatever non asio driver windows uses) set as their main driver.

Your problem is because both applications are trying to access the same audio driver. You can allow Cubase to release driver in background (although I find doing this unpredictable) but I'm not sure about Ableton. But regardless, you don't need to use your asio driver for VLC, Media player and Winamp etc.
Old 16th December 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
 
valis's Avatar
Unfortunately with the RME drivers the ASIO output overrides all the other output, and for good reason imo so it's not really that unfortunate. IF the other applications were using the same driver (ASIO) then RME does support multiclient i/o (for ASIO, wave & etc) but afaik the ASIO will still kill wav output that's assigned to an output that isn't used by Ableton+ASIO.
Old 16th December 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 
dark blue man's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
Unfortunately with the RME drivers the ASIO output overrides all the other output, and for good reason imo so it's not really that unfortunate. IF the other applications were using the same driver (ASIO) then RME does support multiclient i/o (for ASIO, wave & etc) but afaik the ASIO will still kill wav output that's assigned to an output that isn't used by Ableton+ASIO.
I know you can set the audio driver in Winamp via: Options/Preference/Output. Not sure about about VLC etc but it's possible to set up the Windows non asio driver as default from Windows Control Panel and then set asio drivers for Ableton, soundforge and whatever. That should end his problem.
Old 16th December 2010
  #6
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark blue man View Post
I know you can set the audio driver in Winamp via: Options/Preference/Output. Not sure about about VLC etc but it's possible to set up the Windows non asio driver as default from Windows Control Panel and then set asio drivers for Ableton, soundforge and whatever. That should end his problem.
Thanks everyone! Alas, I tried it all but I still don't get any sound. I guess valis is right, although in RME forums some people say that is possible to make it work, but... Arghhh. It's a pity because I love RME but this little thing is so annoying...
Old 16th December 2010
  #7
Gear Addict
 

The way I make it work is to have my windows system sounds assigned to an unused output on the multi-face. In my case I use ADAT 1 & 2 for system sounds, and the ASIO software uses analog 1 & 2 for stereo (or 1-6 for surround).

Then I use the HDSP mixer to route ADAT 1 & 2 out to Analog 1 & 2 out.

It works perfectly 90% of the time. There are occasions where streaming media plays back at the wrong sample rate... it's weird to slow down a live stream!

~Jay
Old 16th December 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 
dark blue man's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by abecedari View Post
Thanks everyone! Alas, I tried it all but I still don't get any sound. I guess valis is right, although in RME forums some people say that is possible to make it work, but... Arghhh. It's a pity because I love RME but this little thing is so annoying...
Dude, you are not thinking about this rationally. Your sound card, if it is like any other sound card, has two drivers. A Windows driver (or directsound driver), which is irrelevant to real time audio, and can be freely used with audio players such as winamp, vlc, media player etc or any play back use you want, although it cannot be shared with programs like Ableton, Cubase, Soundforge or whatever. The asio driver can be played but not shared with these programs, Right?

Asio is a secondary driver supplied with your sound card for professional audio use, which is superior and designed to be used for real time audio and also able to be used in "parallel" with your standard widows driver.

If this is not the case then I would be asking for my money back!!
Old 16th December 2010
  #9
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay M View Post
The way I make it work is to have my windows system sounds assigned to an unused output on the multi-face. In my case I use ADAT 1 & 2 for system sounds, and the ASIO software uses analog 1 & 2 for stereo (or 1-6 for surround).

Then I use the HDSP mixer to route ADAT 1 & 2 out to Analog 1 & 2 out.

It works perfectly 90% of the time. There are occasions where streaming media plays back at the wrong sample rate... it's weird to slow down a live stream!

~Jay
Solved! I erased Audio Outputs 3+4 in Ableton's preferences and then I assigned this 3+4 Outputs in Windows Media Player. So simple!

Thanks a lot to everyone :-)
Old 17th December 2010
  #10
Lives for gear
 
valis's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark blue man View Post
Dude, you are not thinking about this rationally. Your sound card, if it is like any other sound card, has two drivers. A Windows driver (or directsound driver), which is irrelevant to real time audio, and can be freely used with audio players such as winamp, vlc, media player etc or any play back use you want, although it cannot be shared with programs like Ableton, Cubase, Soundforge or whatever. The asio driver can be played but not shared with these programs, Right?

Asio is a secondary driver supplied with your sound card for professional audio use, which is superior and designed to be used for real time audio and also able to be used in "parallel" with your standard widows driver.

If this is not the case then I would be asking for my money back!!
Actually RME has multiclient ASIO, as long as apps don't share the same i/o you can assign the ones you want where you want (the applications need to support multichannel ASIO as well, ie release unused/unassigned i/o's somewhere in their settings.)

The issue here is that you can't use the SAME output in an ASIO application and a 'normal' windows app at the same time, something that often frustrates people who come from using ASIO4all or etc. So use a separate set of outs and assign them to the same hardware output using totalmix...as he has done.
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
ckett / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
magneteyez / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2
mistaD / Music Computers
10

Forum Jump
Forum Jump