The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anybody running Pro Tools 9 on XP? DAW Software
Old 15th December 2010
  #1
Gear Head
 

Anybody running Pro Tools 9 on XP?

...and if so, how is it working for you?

Looks like its not "officially" supported in XP but I don't want to upgrade my OS right now.
Old 15th December 2010
  #2
Then I wouldn't upgrade your DAW right now.

I'm not sure PT will even install under XP, unless you know better. Normally it does a check and refuses.
Old 15th December 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 
RonT's Avatar
 

Anybody running Pro Tools 9 on XP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey
Then I wouldn't upgrade your DAW right now.

I'm not sure PT will even install under XP, unless you know better. Normally it does a check and refuses.
Great advise!

It took me sometime to goto Windows 7....I installed on new hard-drive and kept my XP install the way I had it. PT9 is rock solid with W7 64.

I still spend most of my days in XP on 8.1 although I have OSX and W7. All are rock solid just have all the goodies on the XP side and I know the OS very well.





Sent from my iPhone using Gearslutz
Old 15th December 2010
  #4
Gear Addict
 

I tried it and during the install it gave me a frightening warning, but allowed me to proceed. I decided to give it a try, but then it turned out that I didn't have enough free disk space.

I since repartitioned my HDD, but decided to not use PT9 on my XP computer.

I searched, but couldn't find anyone else on all of google who had tried it. I don't want to be the first!

~Jay
Old 16th December 2010
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay M View Post
I tried it and during the install it gave me a frightening warning, but allowed me to proceed. I decided to give it a try, but then it turned out that I didn't have enough free disk space.

I since repartitioned my HDD, but decided to not use PT9 on my XP computer.

I searched, but couldn't find anyone else on all of google who had tried it. I don't want to be the first!

~Jay
I just don't understand why anyone would deliberately want to proceed when it specifically says that the OS is unsupported! Do people ENJOY unstable DAWs? I don't!
Old 16th December 2010
  #6
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I just don't understand why anyone would deliberately want to proceed when it specifically says that the OS is unsupported! Do people ENJOY unstable DAWs? I don't!
I got started on Cubase VST. I'm very used to unstable DAWs

Seriously though, I'm not a Pro Tools user, I just wanted to learn it and the software I get paid to use only works well on XP, so my work machine is XP. Maybe in a few months my work PC can be on Win7, then I'll mess around with Pro Tools at work.

There are a lot of reasons people don't want to leave XP. That's why some of us are willing to take a chance using PT9 on XP.

~Jay
Old 16th December 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 
rhythmtech's Avatar
 

good question.

we've just invested in PT9 in work and ill have an install on my home machine. i've no intention of moving from XP for the moment though.

all i use PT for at home is pure editing, no mixing and no plugins (except audiosuite).

hope it works im really not in the mood for an OS upgrade
Old 16th December 2010
  #8
Gear Addict
 

If you are just editing, maybe you could use VMware and run a win7 virtual machine.

~Jay
Old 16th December 2010
  #9
If a new or old OS is not supported, you have to make a decision:
-do I leave my current system as it is? If it works great, just leave it.
-do I upgrade? Will all the soft- and hardware work and be supported? Only if you can say yes, then acually consider the move.

We had customers with all kinds of in-between solutions, they all ended up moving to W7 due to some products not liking XP anymore, or RAM specific restrictions.

Just make sure you don't ruin your current setup before you did your homework (or let someone else do it for you... )
Old 16th December 2010
  #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay M View Post
I got started on Cubase VST. I'm very used to unstable DAWs

Seriously though, I'm not a Pro Tools user, I just wanted to learn it and the software I get paid to use only works well on XP, so my work machine is XP. Maybe in a few months my work PC can be on Win7, then I'll mess around with Pro Tools at work.

There are a lot of reasons people don't want to leave XP. That's why some of us are willing to take a chance using PT9 on XP.

~Jay
Can't you just put a spare drive in your work machine, put win 7 and PT on it and mess around with that?

The idea of using PT9 under a virtual machine I'd also put under the category of "why bother?!".

Seriously. Things work so much better when you follow the advice given for setting them up!
Old 16th December 2010
  #11
Lives for gear
 
rhythmtech's Avatar
 

would running a w7 partition just for pt9 work? will the existing xp partition cause issues?

i just splashed on a new graphics card and 2 hd monitors. i reckon my missus would have a kitten if i spent anymore this week! (even a measily 70 on a drive!)
Old 16th December 2010
  #12
Lives for gear
 
The dman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
would running a w7 partition just for pt9 work? will the existing xp partition cause issues?

i just splashed on a new graphics card and 2 hd monitors. i reckon my missus would have a kitten if i spent anymore this week! (even a measily 70 on a drive!)
No problems here. I have XP on one partition and W7 64 bit on another PT 9 and Cubase all happy
Old 16th December 2010
  #13
Lives for gear
 
rhythmtech's Avatar
 

that sounds like a plan my man heh
Old 16th December 2010
  #14
Gear Maniac
 
Pliplo's Avatar
 

Recently i installed xp to remember the times... awful! wouldnt go back from 7, by now everyone using xp surely have a slow pc and cant use a decent os i guess...
Old 16th December 2010
  #15
Lives for gear
 
rhythmtech's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliplo View Post
Recently i installed xp to remember the times... awful! wouldnt go back from 7, by now everyone using xp surely have a slow pc and cant use a decent os i guess...
you'd guess completely wrong im afraid. stupid comment to make.
Old 22nd December 2010
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Dayl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
you'd guess completely wrong im afraid. stupid comment to make.
+1

And this thread has burst my bubble a little. Was keen on giving PT a try as am searching for a new DAW (lost my CB Dongle) looks like I may just have to give Studio 1 a try after all as I'm more than happy with the performance I was / amgetting from XP.
Old 22nd December 2010
  #17
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliplo View Post
Recently i installed xp to remember the times... awful! wouldnt go back from 7, by now everyone using xp surely have a slow pc and cant use a decent os i guess...
i have 3 hdd's in my pc one for xp x64 which if you can get anything compatible is my prefered OS. It all aboutyour prefered choice os and what you use it for. I have win 7 x64 on another and is very good, just not ready to move away from xp yet. I like both but xp is far from awful.
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
michaiel / Music Computers
5
Aarhus Lydstudie / So much gear, so little time
10
passenger / So much gear, so little time
17

Forum Jump
Forum Jump