The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Horrible crackling in Samplitude 11 Audio Interfaces
Old 15th December 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Horrible crackling in Samplitude 11

The hits keep coming with this new build.

So I'm finally ready to track with the new rig (i5 750, win 7, Samplitude 11 pro, 4 gig Mushkin 1600 RAM).

Everything's working fine. I set up a project and get a guitar sound that I like (in Vandal, which sounds very good, BTW). I then set up EZdrummer with 8 outs to seperate tracks. Fine. I'm auditioning drum sets and setting up velocities with my Korg Padkontrol and suddenly, no sound. Drums respond visually in the vsti but no sound. Then I go to play the guitar and the sound coming from guitar plug sounds horribly crackly.

I initially blamed the Audiofire 12 I have because even after removing the guitar vsti, the crackles were there with just a signal to the track. But I have since rules out the AF 12 because in stand alone, outside of Samp, the sound is great.

This now happens in any project I open, both new or older. I have posted over on the Samp forum but it isn't well traveled over there and could take days to get anywhere.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much, guys.
Old 15th December 2010
  #2
Gear Nut
 

I have been through hell and back with Samp.

What engine are you using?

What's your buffer set to?

Multiprocessor support on?

Have you checked DPC latency?

Updated drivers?

Tried Magix driver or MME just to compare?

...in my mind the number one problem with Samp is proper multicore support. Try turning that off first to see if it clears up. If it does, make sure you have the latest version of Samp and go into the options and try limiting core use the highest possible without the issue creeping up. A lot of people are fine w 3 cores active, and sketchy with 4 cores active. These processor errors will cause ASIO errors and your first thought might be the sound card, when it reality it's fine.
Old 15th December 2010
  #3
Can it be the PadControl driver?
Old 15th December 2010
  #4
Lives for gear
 
807Recordings's Avatar
 

I am sorry but the Magix support forum is not the actual technical support. We do try our best to stay on top of it but for proper support cases like this I highly recommend you create a ticket. You can do this at Samplitude.com.


Things I would suggest also include making sure that you are using the latest ASIO Drivers,
Your latency is not set too low,
Perhaps changing your audio engine which can be done within the sound card settings (short cut key Y).

If there is a specific problem then this is why it is important to raise a support ticket. How else will we be able to track down the issue and have our developers work on it.
Old 15th December 2010
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Great. I guess I'll do that.

The buffers don't make sense. I've had no issues at all running buffers @64 in the past. I did check to see if playing with the buffer setting would make a difference and even with the buffers set to their absolute highest, there was crackling albeit less. But if it were a straight buffer thing, I would thing the highest buffer setting would totally eliminate the problem.

Hybrid engine. Updated drivers. I seem to remember that 3 cores were active because I wondered about that. If I disable multicore support, what would the point of having a multicore processor?

I'll try the Padkontrol drivers. Crazier **** has happened.

This rig ran ridiculously good for about 8 minutes.
Old 16th December 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Padkontrol isn't it.

There are a couple of drivers that won't load though. Driving me nuts. In "device manager" there are the yellow question marks that mean there is a driver issue. You click on properties and it says that there is a problem. you click on "update drivers" and it says that the best driver is already loaded OR it cannot find the problem.

This is where Win 7 (or any windows OS, FTM) get's a bad rep. The friggin driver isues suck.

That said, I believe that this is a Samplitude issue.
Old 16th December 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 
valis's Avatar
What is your motherboard reddog (make, model & revision)?
Old 16th December 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
firewire card?
Old 16th December 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 
KRStudio's Avatar
 

I have never been able to run 64 buffer ASIO with fire wire. Try doubling and see if it goes away. I'm using Apogee fire wire and Sam 11 Pro.
Old 16th December 2010
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Asus P7P55d

TI FW card.

I tried adjusting buffers and it didn't really help. I even moved the slider all the way (creating like a 2 second audible delay) and it was less but still there.

Also, under my 64 samples setting, playback with older projects is fine. Would they sound like ass too if it were a buffer issue?
Old 16th December 2010
  #11
Lives for gear
 
valis's Avatar
Samplearate mismatch or plugin issue with something you weren't using before?
Old 16th December 2010
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Sample rates are same.

The problem did start when I loaded a multi-channel instance of EZD though. I never had a problem before with EZD and it might not be the problem. I'm just trying to think about changes I made and when the problem started.

It was strange that everything was fine. Drums loaded and I was auditioning kits and then all of a sudden, there was no sound. Visually, the PadKontrol was triggering the drums, just no sound.

That's when I went back to guitar and found that to be totally effed.
Old 16th December 2010
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Typically, when there is a problem, look at what has changed. From your description, the most recent change was the addition of EZ. Disable it and see what happens. Once you isolate the actual problem, then you can fix it.
Old 16th December 2010
  #14
Lives for gear
 
807Recordings's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redddog View Post
Padkontrol isn't it.

There are a couple of drivers that won't load though. Driving me nuts. In "device manager" there are the yellow question marks that mean there is a driver issue. You click on properties and it says that there is a problem. you click on "update drivers" and it says that the best driver is already loaded OR it cannot find the problem.

This is where Win 7 (or any windows OS, FTM) get's a bad rep. The friggin driver isues suck.

That said, I believe that this is a Samplitude issue. For such an expensive program, this is BS.
Actually what is b.s. is that you spend so much money for your program and do not create a support ticket and instead blame a company who may very well not be at fault here.

Driver conflicts are very likely and as you pointed out there is the yellow driver alert. This is clearly a Windows issue and may even be an issue with other vendors drivers.

So kindly be a little more respectful because if your program is registered you should have a ticket. I checked the tickets today and I did not see one in this regard. Infact I never seen one all week or in any of the queues.

My colleague Bob or Nathan will be more than glad to assist once you create a ticket.
Old 16th December 2010
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 807Recordings View Post
Actually what is b.s. is that you spend so much money for your program and do not create a support ticket and instead blame a company who may very well not be at fault here.

Driver conflicts are very likely and as you pointed out there is the yellow driver alert. This is clearly a Windows issue and may even be an issue with other vendors drivers.

So kindly be a little more respectful because if your program is registered you should have a ticket. I checked the tickets today and I did not see one in this regard. Infact I never seen one all week or in any of the queues.

My colleague Bob or Nathan will be more than glad to assist once you create a ticket.
Actually, what is bull**** is that your web page offers no idea of how or where you would place a ticket and you come in with an attitude.

That get's my vote as bull****.
Old 16th December 2010
  #16
Lives for gear
 
andsonic's Avatar
 

interesting that "807" is in Dresden (correct city) but does not publicly acknowledge any link to Samplitude.
I believe he is who he says, but I find it a bit troubling that his Magix connection is not public on this forum.

My go to guy is Tim Dolbear, the North American rep.
I would post your problem on Samplitude.com and see what responses you get. People know stuff there.
That said... the last few major issues Samplitude has had, have been found to be driver and/or ASIO issues.

If you have Windows telling you have driver issues, look there, not at Sampie.
Plenty of DAW users (mostly not Samplitude users), here at GS, can tell you stories about driver issues & Windows 7. Nine times out of ten, the newest driver is not the best driver.
Old 17th December 2010
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Disabled EZD. Unplugged all USB devices (so no more yellow exclaimations in device mngr). Still effed.

Tried the buffer settings as well. Even @ 1900 samples, slight crackling but crackling still.

I'm ready to DL Reaper at this point and see if the problem is present there.

I'm still interested in how one might "drop a ticket" on the Samplitude website as well.
Old 17th December 2010
  #18
Lives for gear
 
valis's Avatar
Did you run the DPC latency checker? The missing drivers are still where I'd start personally.
Old 17th December 2010
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by redddog View Post

I'm still interested in how one might "drop a ticket" on the Samplitude website as well.
Go to magix.com, support tab. There you will find a link to:
http://support.magix.net
Log in (you will have to register your product), then you can browse through FAQs or contact technical support online.
Old 17th December 2010
  #20
Lives for gear
 
807Recordings's Avatar
 

Yes I do work at Samplitude and I am writing this email from the office here in Dresden with lots of snow outside. ;-)


I don't see how difficult this is to go to samplitude.com and "not" magix.com and click on the support button, then contact support.

I am sorry but your point that it is hard to get in contact with Samplitude is not valid as it clearly is on the samplitude.com website and the price for support is simply a few mins to type an email.


Here is a place to email them proservice at magix dot net.
Old 17th December 2010
  #21
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 807Recordings View Post
Yes I do work at Samplitude and I am writing this email from the office here in Dresden with lots of snow outside. ;-)


I don't see how difficult this is to go to samplitude.com and "not" magix.com and click on the support button, then contact support.

I am sorry but your point that it is hard to get in contact with Samplitude is not valid as it clearly is on the samplitude.com website and the price for support is simply a few mins to type an email.


Here is a place to email them proservice at magix dot net.

WTF, ever think about being sympathetic to his problem instead of acting like a ******? If you're publicly representing Magix or any sub division of their company you might want to think about being polite and providing professional customer service whether or not he disrespected your product. If you had the same issues you'd be venting too (with or without a ticket submitted).
Old 17th December 2010
  #22
Lives for gear
 
807Recordings's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
WTF, ever think about being sympathetic to his problem instead of acting like a ******? If you're publicly representing Magix or any sub division of their company you might want to think about being polite and providing professional customer service whether or not he disrespected your product. If you had the same issues you'd be venting too (with or without a ticket submitted).

Excuse me but there is a reason we have procedures and a ticket system. This is inorder to make sure we can provide and track a problem. On a message board like this which we rarely have time to check in the course of a day it is vital that we can have someone checking the support cases.

From our support system I can check customer ID, program version, if patches have been updated, and the order when the ticket has arrived and been replied to. This is accountability which is not available over an anonymous message board.

Also I may add recently we have received many people claiming to have purchased copies of Samplitude or Sequoia. Unfortunately when checked these copies where indeed cracked versions. I am not suggesting in this instance this is the case but it is something we need to check on. With the limited amount of resources we have to support our customers this only hurts the ones who are legitimate. I am sure you can understand that.

We are now at many days later and I am positive if a support ticket was created it would have been resolved through our system.

Again support is free for registered customers and we reply in a timely manner through the main channels.


Sincerely
Bob Braun
Samplitude and Sequoia Pro Support.
Dresden, Germany

Tel: +1 775 562 0528
(Mon-Fri 10am-4pm EST)
Tel: +49(0)351 4174 616
(Mon-Fri 10am-3pm CET)

E-Mail: [email protected]
Old 17th December 2010
  #23
Gear Nut
 

Horrible crackling in Samplitude 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 807Recordings


Excuse me but there is a reason we have procedures and a ticket system. This is inorder to make sure we can provide and track a problem. On a message board like this which we rarely have time to check in the course of a day it is vital that we can have someone checking the support cases.

From our support system I can check customer ID, program version, if patches have been updated, and the order when the ticket has arrived and been replied to. This is accountability which is not available over an anonymous message board.

Also I may add recently we have received many people claiming to have purchased copies of Samplitude or Sequoia. Unfortunately when checked these copies where indeed cracked versions. I am not suggesting in this instance this is the case but it is something we need to check on. With the limited amount of resources we have to support our customers this only hurts the ones who are legitimate. I am sure you can understand that.

We are now at many days later and I am positive if a support ticket was created it would have been resolved through our system.

Again support is free for registered customers and we reply in a timely manner through the main channels.


Sincerely
Bob Braun
Samplitude and Sequoia Pro Support.
Dresden, Germany

Tel: +1 775 562 0528
(Mon-Fri 10am-4pm EST)
Tel: +49(0)351 4174 616
(Mon-Fri 10am-3pm CET)

E-Mail: [email protected]

Now that is a stern, yet professional response. Thank you.


Sent from my iPhone using Gearslutz
Old 17th December 2010
  #24
Gear Addict
 
TimDolbear's Avatar
 

Reddog


Call me
512****4****91

Tim
Old 17th December 2010
  #25
Lives for gear
 

Thanks Tim.

I know you're busy. I'll be in the studio around 5. If that is a bad time for you, I'll try to get to you whenever is good for you.

Thanks again.
Old 18th December 2010
  #26
Gear Addict
 
TimDolbear's Avatar
 

Hey, I posted this in the Samplitude forum: The crackling sounds like a classic case of the FW issue.


your MB has : IEEE 1394 VIA® 6308P controller supports 2 x 1394a ports (one at mid-board; one at back panel)

You should contact Echo and see if they have any issues with the VIA controller.

From their site:
Echo Digital Audio Corporation
Old 18th December 2010
  #27
Lives for gear
 

Well it's not Samplitude.

I down loaded Reaper and I had the same problem.

Focus is now on the Audio fire. I rolled the drivers back to 5.5 and no improvement.

Not sure where to go from here.
Old 18th December 2010
  #28
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redddog View Post
Well it's not Samplitude.

I down loaded Reaper and I had the same problem.

Focus is now on the Audio fire. I rolled the drivers back to 5.5 and no improvement.

Not sure where to go from here.
Where you should go is the same place you should have gone first - your local professional computer expert (ideally with DAW experience). You dont seem to be very experienced with DAW configuration, so you need to find an expert who can help you when you encounter problems you dont understand. No different from a race car pit crew. What you have done on this thread is accuse your Formula One of being faulty when you havent filled it with the right fuel. To stretch the analogy, you also appear to be attempting to race your car on an unfinished road.

Native DAWs are not plug and play. They have never been plug and play. Expecting a native OS to do real time multitrack audio is one of the most difficult things a computer can do (much harder than video, for example). I've used and built many professional native DAWs since 1996 (when I first installed Samplitude 4). One thing I can say with certainty is this: if you dont know DAWs inside out, find someone who does and keep that person close. You wouldnt attempt to run an SSL/Radar based studio without a good tech on call when you encounter issues. Same applies to DAWs, but native DAWs are more complex due to the endless (and constantly changing) permutations of operating systems, chipsets, drivers and individual system configurations.

The Samplitude/Sequoia community is very supportive. Join it. And dont race your car without a good pit crew.

Nowadays with remote support tools like TeamViewer or LogMeIn easily traversing firewalls, it's very easy for experts to visit your DAW over the web while on the phone to you. This is something you should consider.

Sean
Old 18th December 2010
  #29
Lives for gear
 
KRStudio's Avatar
 

Make sure you use a good FW cable. Don't get the $5 bad boy! Splurge and get the $15 one. It does make a diff.
Old 18th December 2010
  #30
It might help to change the FW controller driver to the legacy one. Do a reboot after this, then try again. Use the device manager/FW controller/update driver/"pick from list" method.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Teddy Ray / The Moan Zone
5
tyler477 / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
21
Tibbon / So much gear, so little time
14
BevvyB / Gear free zone - shoot the breeze
22

Forum Jump
Forum Jump