The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Horrible crackling in Samplitude 11 Audio Interfaces
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Yep. Did the FW driver swap.
Old 18th December 2010
Gear Addict

you did see my reply? the VIA FW controller does not seem to be compatible with the echo audio interface according to their site.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDolbear View Post
you did see my reply? the VIA FW controller does not seem to be compatible with the echo audio interface according to their site.
Well, we were fairly certain that the problem was not a Samp problem. Nice catch.
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Got a TI fw in there now. No difference.

CRAP!
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Have you started resolving the missing items in device manager? Why don't you open device manager, expand the areas with the missing items and post up a screenshot. Once you do that, you can find device id's for individual devices by choosing the properties of each. The device id can tell you what is missing if the text label doesn't make it easy to identify.

Also give the DPC Latency Checker a run, some graphics card drivers cause issues (as do some wireless chipsets etc.)
Old 19th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
Have you started resolving the missing items in device manager? Why don't you open device manager, expand the areas with the missing items and post up a screenshot. Once you do that, you can find device id's for individual devices by choosing the properties of each. The device id can tell you what is missing if the text label doesn't make it easy to identify.

Also give the DPC Latency Checker a run, some graphics card drivers cause issues (as do some wireless chipsets etc.)
network cards, too.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Ran DPC checker - ran between 100 and 400. That's pretty darned good, right?

Also, device manager shows no yellow. The olny issues I had to reslove were an m-audio keystation driver and a padkontrol driver. Both are working.

So I'm back to Echo. It's either that or the relatively monsterous new quad system with 4 times the RAM totally sucks compared to the wheezing dusty old man of a system I had with my old d830 (with 1 gig of RAM). I was able to run at 64 samples without nary a hiccup.

Do I consider going back to that machine? This can't be right.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

a desktop system should have dpc of 8-25 with nothing running.
echo is not known for the best low latency and in MHO have flaky drivers particularly with midi input.

Scott
ADK
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

So in your opinion, it sounds like an Audiofire 12 driver issue?
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Addict

idea... any chance you have gotten in the new system some bad ram?
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Thought about that, Tim. I'm thinking that DPC checker would be going nuts if there was bad RAM but I got pretty low readings (100-400).

Is there another way to verify if the RAM is bad?
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

This maybe a long shot but at least it can rule out drivers:
Have you tried running a driver like ASIO4ALL.com. Sometimes I get clients to use this (myself also) when I have ran into driver issues. Though not ideal as a good driver designed by the manufacturer it can sometimes help for testing.

1.Other basic things you can try or double check is to make sure the firewire is on its own bus.

2. Make sure the firewire cable is ok.

Just a few basic check list things that can often go over looked.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

400 is a bit high actually, post up a screengrab of DPCLC's output?

What graphics card are you using, and which drivers?

What network card(s) do you have in the system?

What AV & background apps do you have running (system tray, task manager)?

Glad you got your checkmarks in device manager sorted...
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Turn off HPET in the BIOS and see if your DPC latency drops.
I didn't read the entire thread so if you've done this already, ignore....

Also if you have anything like Audio interface or MIDI interface plugged into a USB3 combo port, move it elsewhere. Those combo ports are known to cause problems with interfaces.

Just a thought.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Yes there aren't native USB3 implementations yet so keep those ports for external drives or etc only. If HPET (or c1e/c6) being disabled in the BIOS fixes your problems imo I'd consider checking for a newer BIOS revision.

To be honest I'd probably have already checked my firewire cables, tried a second soundcard and firewire card, updated the bios, checked memory interleaving and bios settings, and checked windows system & app logs.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Gonna try a different FW card.

Any recommendations? Does it matter if it's PCI or PCIe?

Thanks.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

TI chipset is the typical recommendation. You'll find VIA & Agere chipsets on some products...

You might also try breaking the power delivered by firewire if your soundcard has the ability to be self powered, as sometimes strange power issues can occur. Alternatively if you're already powering via an external wallwart and you're using a firewire cord that delivers power (6pin etc) then you might consider trying 'just' bus power for a bit, or alternatively using a 6pin to 4pin adapter and then back up to cut the power headed to the soundcard (I have to do this for a longish firewire run to one of my external soundcards to clean up noise issues that I had, but not crackling.)

Someone else mentioned having a professional look into your issues. Considering the amount of time this thread has been going, that may or may not make some financial sense to you (I couldn't afford this much downtime personally.)
Old 7th February 2011
Here for the gear

was this ever solved? i am having a very similar situation with my audiofire 4

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search