The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NOOOB first time dedicated PC for audio
Old 15th December 2010
NOOOB first time dedicated PC for audio

Hi Slutz, im sure im not alone in doing online research for the best cost efficent PC for running pro tools 9. This thread is for those of us looking for the right PC. Please post which motherboards and chipsets you have found to work with a 64 bit windows 7 pro tools 9 setup, and those to avoid. Please list the best FIREWIRE cards to add-on to a new PC for use with firewire audio interfaces (ie avid mbox 3 pro). Feel free to discuss the best 7200RPM external USB drives as well.

Tid-bits i'v read so far:

Windows 7 Premium (64bit) can access up to 16 Gb of RAM
Windows 7 Professional can (64bit) acces more than 16 Gb of RAM

When looking to add a Firewire Port to a PC (cause most dont come with one) make sure to use a legacy series firewire port for any audio interface applications.

external drives, use a USB 3 connection if you are lucky enough to find a new PC with a USB 3 port. This is extremely fast and bidirectional (for playback and tracking simultaniously off the drive)

finally, does anyone have some constructive critisism about the use of this PC for audio applications ie Pro Tools 9:

Products

I found one for $900 at Staples Business Depot,Acer AM5811-E1522, i7 @ 2.8Ghz with 8Mb Cashe, 8 GB DDR-3 SDRAM, 1 TB drive, Windows 7 Premium 64 bit.

Happy Holidays Everyone.
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Nut

Personally, I'd build my own, and I'd get a Gigabyte motherboard with onboard firewire (pretty sure they use the TI chipset exclusively, which is the chipset recommended over and over).

Check out these threads:

I'd read the first post in this thread, then start reading backward from the end (from about page 390) to get a more recent refresh of hardware selections and issues. This is a ProTools specific forum - you should probably start here...
i7 Builds - Specs and Results - Avid Audio Forums

If you're going to be using specific hardware items, keep an eye out for issues while reading. For example, Google <motherboard> <specific hardware> to look for issues. You can also Google specific sites with the 'site:' query modifier. Example: "GA-EX58-UD3R <specific hardware> site:gearslutz.com/board"

Or, you could buy from one of the DAW makers:

list of PC builders in USA

Personally, I'd wouldn't buy an off-the-shelf computer like the one you mentioned, hoping it'd work well with Pro Tools.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search