The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Logic 9 hickups with new 3.33 hexa Dynamics Plugins
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear
Logic 9 hickups with new 3.33 hexa

Hi, got the new 3.33 hexa with 10 gig RAM os+apps on SS, recording to a WD Caviar black 64mb cache 1 TB. Loops, samples etc on a third (apple stock) WD.

This machine is a obviously a beast compared to my old MacBook pro 2.4 2008..I can throw anything at it and it doesn´t take notice..

However, there is something weird going on.

It hickups. This happens mainly when skipping thru arrangement sections, but not always. It sort of freezes for a couple of seconds, sometimes the beachball appears, then it goes back to normal.

It also sometimes happens after doing region edits. All this in a very modest arrange, 10-15 tracks.

I have a feeling it is hd related.

the HD meter always spikes up to red when skipping thru the arrangement although there is no visible activity when it settles..

anyone else experienced this and did you find a remedy?

Best Regards

Claes
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Does sound strange. A clean install of both Logic and the OS may help!
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Head

Logic 9 hickups with new 3.33 hexa

I have the same issue, probably we need an optimization but we have to research
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

That HD meter thing (spiking when you hit play) happens all the time for me - I don't think it's related to your issue.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Have you run any drive utilities such as Disk Warrior or Tech Tool pro? Also, you can run Cocktail or OnyX. That might help. Also, it might just be a setting in Logic's preferences but I'm assuming you know what you're doing in that department. I would also open the Mac's Activity Monitor to see how much ram Logic is using as L9 eats ram for breakfast when running in 32 bit mode. If the combination of virtual and actual ram use is close to 4 gigs and you're running Logic in 32 bit mode then that would cause all sorts of problems. If that's the case run L9 in 64 bit mode. Best of luck.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

I suspect hard disk issues. The machine is so powerful that when you push play or skip the playhead around in the timeline, the solid state portion of the machine asks the hard disk for a burst of data to fill the cache and when it can't get the data fast enough it needs to think about it.

With a machine of that horesepower I'd consider a raid SSD drive setup to feed the monster. Put the songs you're working on, on the SSD raid and store other stuff on conventional non-raid drives.

If the SSD raid is too expensive at least consider a hard disk based raid. I've had good luck buying drives from OWC in Chicago area and Trans International in CA. Both are reputable Mac accessory vendors.

Good luck and happy holiday wishes to all.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by foldback View Post
I suspect hard disk issues. The machine is so powerful that when you push play or skip the playhead around in the timeline, the solid state portion of the machine asks the hard disk for a burst of data to fill the cache and when it can't get the data fast enough it needs to think about it.

With a machine of that horesepower I'd consider a raid SSD drive setup to feed the monster. Put the songs you're working on, on the SSD raid and store other stuff on conventional non-raid drives.

If the SSD raid is too expensive at least consider a hard disk based raid. I've had good luck buying drives from OWC in Chicago area and Trans International in CA. Both are reputable Mac accessory vendors.

Good luck and happy holiday wishes to all.
This sounds sensible

the odd thing is that it seems to work fine with PT9...I mean, PT should have the same issues right?
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

No. Logic runs at a 512 or 1024 sample buffer internally for all nonselected tracks, while selected tracks run at your 'low latency' setting for realtime monitoring. Most other apps work at a single latency internally. Logic is also tightly integrated into OSX for the caching of data, while PT probably uses different methods. Translated that means that Logic is probably caching more data (farther ahead & larger buffers for other tracks) unless you're running PT9 at a higher latency than most do...meaning there's not a 1:1 correlation between the applications.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear
it seems lots of people have this problem

Logic Pro Help :: View topic - Occasional Few Second Pause Before Playing
Apple - Support - Discussions - Logic Pro 9 freezing/pausing before ...

I ran diskwarrior on all 3 disks and I think I noticed a slight improvement! Still happens but not so often

Hoping for a solid fix though

cheers

claes

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search