The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help!!!!!! LaCie HD Failure
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Nut

I have a 150 gig LaCie D2 that I've used for years as my main recording drive. I did a 10 hour session on it yesterday with no problems. Today when I booted it up I get this message "the disk inserted is not readable by this computer". It shows up in disk utility but the repair disk option is grayed out. Anybody else experienced this before? What do I do!!!??? And yes I've tried different cables and ports. HELP!
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

I feel your pain. This has happened to me twice.

im no expert but here's a few things to try.

try taking it out of the case and putting it in your desktop.

next i would try burning a copy of Knoppix to CD and changing your computer to boot from CD drive first...or use linnux, to see if that allows you to access it.

you can try some disc recovery software as well.

last option is to send it to a pro who really knows what they are doing, but, that can cost thousands and provides no guarantees.

i was unable to save mine and haven't broken down and sent them away yet.

also every attempt at saving it and spinnnig it up, apparently damages data, so option one might be to send it to a pro.

i now have 3 harddrives, my bro has 3, and i also burn pretty much everything to DVD...
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

All I can is, always have a backup and then a backup of the backup. Just last week I was restoring a drive image and for the first time ever one of drive image backups would not restore. I tried a few times with the same image without success. I finally got out my other backup and restored from that one successfully. So again, backup, and then backup again from now on. Hopefully there's a way for you to fix this, but it's not always likely. You could try http://www.alsoft.com/diskwarrior/
Old 15th December 2010
Tui
Gear Guru

From my own experience with D2s, the power supplies are likely to fail after about 2 years. One symptom is that the drive is not recognized by the computer anymore. Try out a new/different power supply before doing anything else.
Old 15th December 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
From my own experience with D2s, the power supplies are likely to fail after about 2 years. One symptom is that the drive is not recognized by the computer anymore. Try out a new/different power supply before doing anything else.
I second this. The older LaCie d2 power supplies are notoriously bad. Every single one I've had (except for a recent replacement one) has failed at one point or the other. It must be around ten pieces by now... Does the blue light burn steadily or is it weak/flickering/dead? Any strange noises from the HD lately?

If your disk is a few years old, it has the older type of power supply (with the thick, multi-pin connector) that fail. I would absolutely check the power brick first!

The good news is that I've never had the actual disk fail on me because of power brick failure. But I've been lucky, of course.

If you're lucky, too, and it' s the power brick, you should be able to salvage your data. Maybe you could borrow a supply somewhere and check this?

The unpleasant news is that your disk may have been doing something when the power brick died, which can have dire consequences.

In any case, your disk is "no spring chicken" anymore and therefore not the most reliable recording medium either. Add to this the potential (maybe latent) damage to the disk mechanism from a failed power supply and I would definitely invest in a new disk asap (and a second one for backing up the first). They're really quite cheap these days. If you like LaCie you should be okay with the newer ones (with a smaller brick and a one pin power connector). I've used the new model disks for a couple of years now without issues.

Cheers and good luck!

Bag
Old 15th December 2010
Mgr
Lives for gear

Try diskwarrior or data rescue, could be usefull.
Old 15th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Assuming the power supply is lighting up, I think this is unlikely - since the disk is being "seen" by the computer, it's just not being seen as "formatted". It's still worth getting a new enclosure (for the cost of £30 or so) and installing the disk in this to check it's not the supply or the FW chipset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgr View Post
Try diskwarrior or data rescue, could be usefull.
Diskwarrior would be my first choice. If the disk appears but not initialised, diskwarrior can possibly recover the data - and assuming you don't do anything deliberately stupid, you're not going to write anything to the drive to make it less recoverable in the future.
Old 15th December 2010

Drive Genius 3 is an amazing suite of utilities. I also have Disk Warrior. If your drive is indeed experiencing mechanical failure, then forensic recovery might be the only option. It is very expensive.

I have an external 3TB drive partitioned into thirds. I use Drive Genius to clone my OSX, Samples, and Record drives to each of the three partitions once a week. I also do daily backups of all of my current projects to a fourth internal 1TB drive at the end of the day. And every project has a dedicated external Glyph drive that will be the permanent archival home after the each project is finished.

I rebuild directories and repair permissions weekly and replace all my internal drives and external 3TB every three years. I only use Seagate drives.

I have never lost anything.

Good luck.
Old 15th December 2010

btw, Disk Warrior and Drive Genius do not recover data, only repair the structure of the drive (Drive Genius does a slew of other things too).
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

Use lacie's suck big donky balls!

But yes try taking the drive out and put in in your desktop or other enclosure. I've owned a handful of laces and all failed within 3 years.
If you look around this site you'll see lots of post about the D2s. They suck!
I never buy Lacie stuff anymore at all.
Old 15th December 2010
Lives for gear

+1 more for Lacie D2 HD's sucking ass.

The data bridge bit the big one for me, so I moved the drive into a new enclosure that cost me $25, and it has lasted over 5 years and still going strong. The D2 was done in 1 year.

I'm sure your drive is fine. Take it out of the Lacie case, and pop it into something else.
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Assuming the power supply is lighting up, I think this is unlikely - since the disk is being "seen" by the computer, it's just not being seen as "formatted".
I hate to contradict you, PM, but I have had this happen. The power source on these--as has been noted--are notoriously unreliable. Like you, I assumed that if it had enough power to show up on the desktop then the issue was somewhere else, but a wiser studio rat than I suggested switching the power cable and...voila! Disk was back up and good to go.

Since then I made a habit of only using one power source at a time and switching over when one dies to the next. Also made me a believer in bus-powered drives. Who wants the hassle of more f*cking power cables knotting around your feet?

Last, wanted to reiterate what others have said here regarding the necessity of multiple backups with Lacie's. (On the plus side, though, their customer service is superior and they stand behind their products to a fault. They have replaced at no cost to me, several dead/dying discs...though it should be noted that the data was always lost in the process. Always back it up, my friends.)
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Nut

Just another angle on this worth knowing (though it's probably not the issue in your case).

I once had a drive go down because it received a power surge and I suspected it fried a component on the drives own lil 'logic board'. I had another drive from the same manufacturer and so unscrewed the logic board off it & put it on the bad drive and voila... it worked!

The main lesson learned is that the DATA is on the platters and unless you hear scratching & clicking sounds then there might be an easy method to get it revived.
Old 15th December 2010
Here for the gear

I've had a problem like this with a Lacie big disk on a mac.

I'm assuming your using mac as you mentioned 'disk utility'

It's been a while since i had the problem so my memory of the precise course of action is wonky but I know I used this command via the 'terminal' in your utilities folder to fix my error. it deletes folder attributes relating to the lacie drive and others on your mac that could be causing the problem.

sudo find / -name ".DS_Store" -depth -exec rm {} \;

If it's not a hardware issue then this is likely where your problem is (folder permissions/weird attribute ****)

If you do some research on the command to get an idea of what your actually doing might be wise.

I remember I called Lacie and they had no ideas.

I got this command from a mac board.

Good luck.
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

I hope you can recover your data...

and..... FYI - all drives will eventually fail.

always keep all data on at least 2 different drives, at all times.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

Thanks for all of your suggestions guys. Yes, I agree that Lacie does indeed suck balls and I wont be using their drives in the future.

I had read about the Lacie power supply issue and tried another one with no success. In a moment of desperation I downloaded Diskwarrior and ran the diagnostic tests. Not knowing what I was doing I had it rebuild the directory to the disk which resulted in the retrieval of an empty folder and an old digi databases file. By doing this have I just ruined any chance at recovering data from this drive or can it still be retrieved by other means?

I realize how stupid and impulsive this was but I did make a disc image of the drive before I did this. Any advice?
Old 16th December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synæsthesiac View Post
Drive Genius 3 is an amazing suite of utilities. I also have Disk Warrior. If your drive is indeed experiencing mechanical failure, then forensic recovery might be the only option. It is very expensive.
If the drive is showing up as uninitialised, I'd say it's pretty unlikely it's mechanical failure - yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyfingers View Post
I hate to contradict you, PM, but I have had this happen. The power source on these--as has been noted--are notoriously unreliable. Like you, I assumed that if it had enough power to show up on the desktop then the issue was somewhere else, but a wiser studio rat than I suggested switching the power cable and...voila! Disk was back up and good to go.
Fair enough - that's good to know. I've lost count of the number of Lacies I've taken apart to retrieve the drives after the chipsets have gone down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbro View Post

I had read about the Lacie power supply issue and tried another one with no success. In a moment of desperation I downloaded Diskwarrior and ran the diagnostic tests. Not knowing what I was doing I had it rebuild the directory to the disk which resulted in the retrieval of an empty folder and an old digi databases file. By doing this have I just ruined any chance at recovering data from this drive or can it still be retrieved by other means?

I realize how stupid and impulsive this was but I did make a disc image of the drive before I did this. Any advice?
Ah - now that was the kind of "unless you do something daft" thing I was talking about! Whenever I've run diskwarrior it scans the drive (even if it doesn't show up on the desktop, and builds you a read-only image that you can copy things from, or replace the drive directory with. I don't know what you did, but it wasn't what you were meant to do!

How did you image the drive if it's not showing up as initialised?
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Nut

Yes, not one of my finer moments.

I did replace the drive directory with the one that Diskwarrior provided. As far as the image goes, I used disk utility to create a new image and used the Lacie as the source. Any hope or should I just cut my losses and move on?
Old 17th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbro View Post
Thanks for all of your suggestions guys. Yes, I agree that Lacie does indeed suck balls and I wont be using their drives in the future.

Yes, probably. That's why you should never use DiskWarrior or Drive Genius. They modify the disk and with a dying disk, this is a Very Bad Idea™.

Programs like Data Rescue III are real data recovery tools and don't even mount the disk. They're slow, but for a reason.

Download the demo of Data Rescue III. It will scan the drive and if it reports files as recoverable, you can be 99.9% certain it will. Put the drive in another enclosure tho.

And, yes, LaCie isn't what it used to be. Most cheap Chinese USB/FW cases are simply better. I've had data recovery job at least six times this year from bad LaCie stuff. In every case, the data got corrupted because the PSU or the controller were slowly failing. The drives inside were still OK.
Old 17th December 2010
Gear Nut

Talking

Yay! There is a happy ending to report. Thank you to cyrano for suggesting Data Rescue 3, it saved my ass big time. I was able to recover all of my lost files and even a bunch of sessions that I had deleted a long time ago. Seriously, what an amazing piece of software! I would recommend it to anyone that has a data recovery issue.

Lessons learned:

1. Always back up your sessions no matter what

2. Don't trust LaCie, they are not what they used to be

3. Diskwarrior is a total waste of money

and

4. Not everything lost is gone forever

Thanks again for all of your help and suggestions
Old 21st December 2010

Diskwarrior is not a waste of money if used for it's intended purpose. It is a solid and reputable program and worth every 9999 pennies. I use it constantly to keep all of my drives healthy. Props on the Data Rescue 3 and also a big shout out for Drive Genius 3. Good times we are living in.

However, congrats on your success with recovering your data. That's great news.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search