The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The "today we build our studio pc" thread
Old 5th June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymurrayme View Post
Hey Guys I know im pretty new here but wanted to post my new build that I just completed. let me know your thoughts and if and where I can improve it! =)

CPU: i7 4770k (overclocked to 4.2 Ghz)
Mobo: Asus z87 Pro
GPU: Nvidia gtx 650 SC
RAM: Corsair Vegeance 16 GB (2 x 8 Sticks)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i
Fans: 1 Corsair AF140 & 5 Corsair SP120 (all quiet edition)
Storage: 3 Kingston 120 GB SSD's & 1 WD 1TB 7200 rpm HD
PSU: Corsair CX750M

Running OS X 10.9.3
runs pro tools 10 great.. no lock ups or anything!
I would consider clocking your i7 it to the suggested manufacturer's speed until you actually start to hit a performance ceiling, otherwise you could be putting unnecessary wear on the cpu. What "color" is the WD, or is it an enterprise? And what's your audio card?
Old 6th June 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashofthedark View Post
I would consider clocking your i7 it to the suggested manufacturer's speed until you actually start to hit a performance ceiling, otherwise you could be putting unnecessary wear on the cpu. What "color" is the WD, or is it an enterprise? And what's your audio card?
how would i find the suggested speed ? would that be the 3.5 Ghz it was originally clocked at?
the WD drive is a blue 7200 rpm
as for audio i am currently using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
Old 6th June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymurrayme View Post
how would i find the suggested speed ? would that be the 3.5 Ghz it was originally clocked at?
the WD drive is a blue 7200 rpm
as for audio i am currently using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
That's correct, it's 3.5ghz for the i7 4770k. You can adjust any overclocking settings within the BIOS of the system, which you can access on booting up the system. BIOS's are all different to access. It depends on the motherboard. Some are the Delete key, some are F1, F2, F10, etc. After you get there you should have default settings available specifically within the Overclocking/Voltage page. You may not want to set all the BIOS settings to default in case power management tweaks have been done for you.

In case you aren't already aware, the blue WD drive is a mainstream performer; you get a noticeable difference in reading and writing speeds if you move to a Black, and much more dramatically an SSD (Solid State Drive), but I wouldn't upgrade anything if you're happy with how fast projects and samples load.

The Scarlett! I've heard very good things about it but no personal reports on how it compares to other USB audio interfaces out there. Sounds like a great rig.
Old 6th June 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashofthedark View Post
That's correct, it's 3.5ghz for the i7 4770k. You can adjust any overclocking settings within the BIOS of the system, which you can access on booting up the system. BIOS's are all different to access. It depends on the motherboard. Some are the Delete key, some are F1, F2, F10, etc. After you get there you should have default settings available specifically within the BIOS page. You may not want to set all the BIOS settings to default in case power management tweaks have been done for you.

In case you aren't already aware, the blue WD drive is a mainstream performer; you get a noticeable difference in reading and writing speeds if you move to a Black, and much more dramatically an SSD (Solid State Drive), but I wouldn't upgrade anything if you're happy with how fast projects and samples load.

The Scarlett! I've heard very good things about it but no personal reports on how it compares to other USB audio interfaces out there. Sounds like a great rig.
yeah i heard about the black.. was thinking about it but i had an unopened blue drive that i had never used so i thought why not lol.. i usually just keep my content on it anyways like my Komplete 9 Ultimate Banks & Omnisphere & Trillian banks.. i do all my recording and mixing on the SSD's =)
yeah the scarlett so far is really good. i got such a deal on it to. The people at best buy apparently had the prices messed up so i got it for 119 instead of the 199 its advertised everywhere else =)
Old 8th June 2014
Lives for gear

Just ordered this "Muse +" from Molten :

Molten Music Technology. Silent Systems For Music Production

I7 4790S
Asus 97 Mother board
16 GB Ram
250 EVO SSD (System +Soft)
1TB EVO SSD (Data) (i already own this drive)

ZERO FAN !!! one pcie slot (i don't need it anyway unless i go for a UAD octo or a fnaless GPU if i need ..) i'm on fanless vibe right now , keep in mind guyz that Fanless power supply and cpu cooler (for the 4770) exists ...you just need tower for this solution ....i wanted some lighter and easy to put in a bag ! lol

I usually go for workstations (Z from HP or Precision) or custom made (the desktop i have is made by Cakewalk !) but i wanted to try those new stuff specially from this cool guy to validate those solutions to students ....
Old 9th June 2014
Here for the gear

Hi guys. this is my first post on here and i hope its in the right place. sorry if its not.
anyway, ive been thinking about this build.does it look good? any major problems with it? thanks
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/chrisbauer70/saved/

-chris

My main DAWs are Cubase 5 And Reaper. i use the roland octa capture interface. i also cant choose between windows 8 or 7. thanks :]
Old 9th June 2014
Here for the gear

Hello guys, I've got some fast questions to finally finish my pc daw. First, which battery backup UPS should I need to buy? What are the mainstream ones?
Should I take Windows 7 Home or Professional? (Don't have much badget left)
A computer technician will assemble my components, do I need to say him maybe some precious daw/audio or technical informations that I don't actually know?

Build:

CPU: i7 3770k
MB: Asus P8Z77-V
CPU Cooler: noctua
RAM: Crucial ballistix 16gb
HD: Seagate barracuda 2tb
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250gb
Power: seasonic 660w
No videocard

THANKS a lot to all!
Matt
Old 9th June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbauer70 View Post
Hi guys. this is my first post on here and i hope its in the right place. sorry if its not.
anyway, ive been thinking about this build.does it look good? any major problems with it? thanks

-chris

My main DAWs are Cubase 5 And Reaper. i use the roland octa capture interface. i also cant choose between windows 8 or 7. thanks :]
The build looks 'okay', but power supply is a little 'low grade' IMO. I would choose energy efficiency grade either gold or platinum. I'm a big fan of Seasonic, Fractal, Enermax PSUs, and I don't like Corsair PSU actually. Anyway, other parts look good to me.
Old 10th June 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks. i'll look into a higher grade power supply. trouble is, ive got a firm budget of 800, and even this build is higher than i would like to spend.Any other quality budget power supplies? I also cant decide between windows 8 and 7. any big differences for cubase 5 or reaper? I prefer windows 7, but if 8 will boost performance i'll consider it.
Old 10th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

-chris

See you've chosen the i7 4790 cpu there, which is fixed at 3.6ghz and can't be overclocked. For just $40 odd dollars more you could wait a couple weeks for the 4790K, with stock speed of 4ghz and can also be overclocked higher.

I would consider a higher wattage gold/platinum efficiency grade PSU, but personally don't have a problem with Corsairs higher end PSU's, I think Seasonic actually make those for them anyways rebranded.
Old 10th June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun View Post
I would consider a higher wattage gold/platinum efficiency grade PSU, but personally don't have a problem with Corsairs higher end PSU's, I think Seasonic actually make those for them anyways rebranded.
The Corsair HX series is still made by Seasonic, and those are really good power supplies.

There's really nothing wrong though with buying a Bronze PSU if you want to save money, because the rating is only for power efficiency, not for reliability or quality (although you'll have a hard time finding a bad Platinum PSU). You're probably not going to save much money in electrical bill costs, if any, with a Gold or Platinum, because you might be replacing that PSU after 5 years or so anyway. I think getting a Bronze is a reasonable cost-cutting decision, as long as it's a good Bronze. I personally have had success with buying Corsairs of varying quality for quite a few systems except for a TX which wouldn't play nice with a Skulltrail motherboard, which was more Intel's fault than Corsair's. Besides that, no issues.

I wouldn't feel comfortable running that CPU off of a budget 430 PSU. A quality Bronze 500w PSU would be plenty for your current spec list.

Last edited by flashofthedark; 13th June 2014 at 04:03 AM.. Reason: minor grammatical corrections
Old 11th June 2014
hi guys, we're doing mostly electronic music with cpu hungry plugins (nebula, u-he) and are already maxing out our i7 930. thunderbolt is a must as we are ordering an ua apollo soon!

our upcoming build:

HV20Y47KDE Intel Core i7-4770K Box, LGA1150 288,41 €
HV1142IUDE Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH, Sockel 1150, ATX 227,84 €
HV30SD33DE Scythe Mugen 4 PCGH Edition 45,00 €
HV20CS11DE 32GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance black PC3-12800U CL9 279,65 €
HV203F17DE Cooler Master Silencio 550 black 70,98 €
HVR650EVDE EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G 650W ATX 2.3 80+Gold 80,55 €
HV1025WJDE Gainward GeForce GT 630, 1GB DDR3, VGA, DVI, HDMI 47,05 €
HV13SB72DE Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb/s 72,07 €
HV13SB72DE Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb/s 72,07 €
HV12S8P2DE Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB SATA 6Gb/s 159,99 €
HV207AT0DE ASUS BC-12D2HT/BLK/B Bulk Silent 54,90 €
HV33W7P6DE Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit (SB-Version) 123,29 €

Price: 1.521,80 €

(hardwareversand.de - Konfigurieren Sie Ihren Wunsch-PC)

opinions?
thx in advance....
Old 11th June 2014
Lives for gear

I'm looking forward to the first reports from DAW users of which Z97 chipset motherboards work best with the new i7 4790K cpu in terms of stability latency and being able to get closest to maxing out their cpu before the ASIO performance spikes.

*EDIT* Just noticed SCAN DAW are now listing the Asus Z97 Pro and Deluxe mobos for their DAW builds so it seems they feel they're good enough for DAW use.
Old 11th June 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks for all the input. What do you guys think of windows 8. I cant choose between windows 7 or 8.
Old 11th June 2014
Quote:
Thanks for all the input. What do you guys think of windows 8. I cant choose between windows 7 or 8.
For most modern systems with modern pro audio hardware you will experience a small to modest performance gain with Windows 8.1.
Old 13th June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by housegezeichnet View Post

HVR650EVDE EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G 650W ATX 2.3 80+Gold 80,55 €

opinions?
The Corsair RM Series 650 is also Gold and gets more consistently high reviews than the SuperNOVA. You're probably fine with the EVGA, but the Corsair RM has been tried, tested and proven many magnitudes more than the SuperNOVA.

Your system is a beast. The UA Apollo is going to keep that i7 4770k from reaching a ceiling for probably quite a while. I load a lot of sample libraries and like to test patches quickly for tracks I'm working on, so for me I get a lot out of keeping the libraries on an SSD. I opted for a 500GB Samsung EVO over a 256GB PRO because I wanted to keep most of the libraries I need on there. I wanted to mention that just in case it was something you hadn't considered.
Old 13th June 2014
Lives for gear

I've decided to bite the bullet and get the i7 4790K with Z97 combo.

For those of you already using the Fractal Design R4 case, how are you using case fans with it? Positive or negative pressure airflow?
I got the case today and still trying to decide which would be better.
Old 14th June 2014
Quote:

For those of you already using the Fractal Design R4 case, how are you using case fans with it? Positive or negative pressure airflow?
I replaced the rear case fan with a Noctua brand one. I know some people are just happy with the fan came with the box, but to me, replacing the rear case fan later is a pain. So, whenever I build a PC box, the first thing I do is to replace all the case fans with Noctua.

But I'm an extremist, you know...
Old 14th June 2014
WKG
Lives for gear
Quote:

I've got two front fans for input and 1 top and 1 top rear for exhaust. I am using the Fractal silent series fans.

I usually run them on 7v and record right next to the machine. They are noisier on 12v max but still pretty quiet.
Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaaki View Post
I replaced the rear case fan with a Noctua brand one. I know some people are just happy with the fan came with the box, but to me, replacing the rear case fan later is a pain. So, whenever I build a PC box, the first thing I do is to replace all the case fans with Noctua.
Exactly same here, I've been using Noctua case fans + cpu cooler since 2009, already got the fans, but still trying to decide whether to have greater exhaust negative pressure using both back and top positions, or more front intake for positive pressure.

Are you only using the single rear fan then? or single back single front like the way it comes with its own fans?
Old 14th June 2014
Quote:
Are you only using the single rear fan then? or single back single front like the way it comes with its own fans?
This particular build is i7 3770S and fanless CPU cooler (Silverstone) with all SSD, but I use only rear case fan to exaust hot air to the outside. It is really really quiet.
Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaaki View Post
This particular build is i7 3770S and fanless CPU cooler (Silverstone) with all SSD, but I use only rear case fan to exaust hot air to the outside. It is really really quiet.
Hmmm, what are your temps like? I'd be worried the temp would be getting a bit high inside the case using just the one fan, not great for the motherboard even if the cpu is being kept in check.
Old 15th June 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Exactly same here, I've been using Noctua case fans + cpu cooler since 2009, already got the fans, but still trying to decide whether to have greater exhaust negative pressure using both back and top positions, or more front intake for positive pressure.

Go for positive pressure. I have the R4 case, this is my fan setup:

Intake:
2 front fans
1 side fan

Exhaust:
1 rear fan
1 top fan
Old 15th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyfreshbeats View Post
Go for positive pressure. I have the R4 case, this is my fan setup:

Intake:
2 front fans
1 side fan

Exhaust:
1 rear fan
1 top fan
Yeah the more I look at the overall design of this case the more I realise its actually very suited to positive pressure what with all the little holes across the back. I'm actually thinking of doing same as you but only having the rear fan as the exhaust with 3 inlet fans (front & bottom). I'll see how that goes and if I need to use the top or not. The overly positive pressure should naturally push the air out of all the extra holes across the back of the case hopefully.
Old 15th June 2014
Quote:
Hmmm, what are your temps like? I'd be worried the temp would be getting a bit high inside the case using just the one fan, not great for the motherboard even if the cpu is being kept in check.
Core temp around 30-35degree Celsius, but this machine is actually for Office/Adobe CC for still picture editing, and other stuff, not for audio or video.

For audio and video, I use long cables and put machines in another room.
Old 16th June 2014
Here for the gear
Um, not sure if this is the thread for this but, I just threw together a dinosaur of a shoestring budget DAW and I'm looking for a quiet power supply. I was thinking of a PicoPSU? but, I'm not sure exactly what I need. What is in it now is a 150 watt, I don't remember the name but can look it up later.

Specs are:
Tyan Tomcat i810e mobo
Slot 1 733 Pentium III Coppermine
512MB SDRAM
Guillemot ISIS sound card w/breakout box
80GB 7200 RPM HDD, DVD Burner, Floppy Drive

I've had no issues with 150 watts but I don't really know how to figure out how many I actually need or if a picoPSU is the right choice for me.
Any help would be great.
Old 17th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by housegezeichnet View Post
hi guys, we're doing mostly electronic music with cpu hungry plugins (nebula, u-he) and are already maxing out our i7 930. thunderbolt is a must as we are ordering an ua apollo soon!

our upcoming build:

HV20Y47KDE Intel Core i7-4770K Box, LGA1150 288,41 €
HV1142IUDE Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH, Sockel 1150, ATX 227,84 €
HV30SD33DE Scythe Mugen 4 PCGH Edition 45,00 €
HV20CS11DE 32GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance black PC3-12800U CL9 279,65 €
Please update here and let us know how this works out for you. I'm planning a new build and was looking at this same Mobo/CPU/Ram combo to upgrade my existing GA-X58A-UD3R, i7 960, with 12gb corsair vengeance, Win7 64, PT 11HD native. My current system has been very solid but it's getting a little on the old side and I'm chomping at the bit to do another build.

If any of the guru's care to chime in and let me know if they think I should expect to get any noticeable performance gains I would appreciate any advice or insights.

I don't use any VST instruments or samples but I do like to track at 88.2 with no more than a 64k buffer. Even with 128 the latency is noticeable to me when tracking.
Old 17th June 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanjoloco View Post
Excuse me gentlemans, I've been out for a minute... Is the Asus P9X79 Pro still the best mainboard for a six core i7 DAW ?
I dont know but I just made a built with precisely that mobo, a 6core 4930k, corsair memory and a bunch of SSDs. received a faulty fractal chassis though (!), so waiting for a replacement scheduled to arrive shortly. I can let you know how it performs.
Old 18th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapmastering View Post
I dont know but I just made a built with precisely that mobo, a 6core 4930k, corsair memory and a bunch of SSDs. received a faulty fractal chassis though (!), so waiting for a replacement scheduled to arrive shortly. I can let you know how it performs.
Out of interest what was wrong with the chassis?. I haven't noticed any obvious issues with mine yet but, I've yet to start building everything as I'm waiting for other components to arrive first.
Old 18th June 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Out of interest what was wrong with the chassis?. I haven't noticed any obvious issues with mine yet but, I've yet to start building everything as I'm waiting for other components to arrive first.
the power on button was actually faulty.

i managed to boot the computer by shortcircuiting the respective PINs on the motherboard, or indeed by re-connecting the 'reset' button cable to the power-on PINs (and using 'reset' to turn it on, instead of using the 'power' button), but seeing as this was a new ~$150 chassis, i figured i should ask for a working product.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search