The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The "today we build our studio pc" thread
Old 7th February 2013
Gear Head

hey guys,
i am in the first planning stage of building a new DAW.

was thinking about a i7 3930K but i see most people in here are using a 3770, so i checked out the intel roadmap, thinking about future upgradeability. it is quite safe to say that there will be no really faster cpus for the LGA2011 socket, but what about the LGA1155? is there anybody who knows if the i7-4770 will be on the same socket?

not that i ever replaced/upgraded a cpu instead of at least buying a new board also in the last 20 years... but i still wanna know.

for now i'd really prefer the extra power of the 3930, the benchmark relation of my old machine vs. 3770 vs. 3930 is like 5-8-12 and my old machine is choking on pretty much every project nowadays.
Old 7th February 2013
Gear Nut

Good evening fellow slutz!
I am finally in the process of building a new system and have a question related to graphic cards.
I am about to get a motherboard Asus P8Z77-V , which has integrated graphics via DVI and vga,
I work with 4 VGA screens, so I was planning to buy 2 graphic cards with 2 outs each, but would I be able to get 2 outs straight from the Asus motherboard and 2 out of another graphic card?
or do I need to get 2 graphic cards anyways?

thanx a lot for your help!!

Stefano
Old 7th February 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLo View Post
Good evening fellow slutz!
I am finally in the process of building a new system and have a question related to graphic cards.
I am about to get a motherboard Asus P8Z77-V , which has integrated graphics via DVI and vga,
I work with 4 VGA screens, so I was planning to buy 2 graphic cards with 2 outs each, but would I be able to get 2 outs straight from the Asus motherboard and 2 out of another graphic card?
or do I need to get 2 graphic cards anyways?

thanx a lot for your help!!

Stefano
The motherboard doesn't have Integrated graphic unit (only the interface), the CPU has, but be careful beacause not every "core Ix" processors has built in graphic. (best choice for your mobo is 3770 or 3770K)
Answering for your question: You will be fine If you buy only one other Graphic card. You Won't need any special 3D warrior, jus pick up a Nvidia gtx 650 or cheaper and simple card.
The built in CPU graphic and one other PCIe graphic card will be allow for you to run up to 4 monitor simultaneously.

All the best 4 you!
Old 7th February 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by james gardener View Post
hey guys,
i am in the first planning stage of building a new DAW.

was thinking about a i7 3930K but i see most people in here are using a 3770, so i checked out the intel roadmap, thinking about future upgradeability. it is quite safe to say that there will be no really faster cpus for the LGA2011 socket, but what about the LGA1155? is there anybody who knows if the i7-4770 will be on the same socket?

not that i ever replaced/upgraded a cpu instead of at least buying a new board also in the last 20 years... but i still wanna know.

for now i'd really prefer the extra power of the 3930, the benchmark relation of my old machine vs. 3770 vs. 3930 is like 5-8-12 and my old machine is choking on pretty much every project nowadays.

New processor will coming from Q3 2013 to The LGA2011 socket or X79 platform. They will be the Core i7-4930, Core i7-4960, Core i7-4970 and Core i7-4990. So the Mobo with LGA2011 socket is a good buy keepin in mind the future.
The top processor for LGA1155 or Z77 is the I7-3770K (I mean this is the last processor and Won't arrive New CPU for this socket).

The new I7-4770 will be arrive in Q2 this year with same features as 3770 an improved graphic (but i think is won't be a big deal for us who building DAW's) however a new socket1150 Mobo will be required for this generation. ( Welcome everyone in the IT business :D )
Old 8th February 2013
Gear Nut

Thanx a lot Brian!!
Old 10th February 2013
Gear Addict

well u have to do your research mostly for the memory...capability is tough because of all the new overclocking options....i went with the 2011 new i7....not the 999$ extreme but the next one down....just a little diff in cache size....and i always loved asus mb's..never had a prob ...but i read many reviews and found the right comdo ...hopefully ...ill let u know when i build it....it was 1700$..but i have all the drives and video card so well see!!!!!
Old 11th February 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
My PT machine, running some basic tests, recording 64 channels at once is totally on tickover. I transfered some files from another audio drive and the sustained data rate stuck solidly to 85meg a second. at 44.1khz 24 bit, that represents over 600 tracks! I'm not suggesting that in real terms it will actually do that, but it's a safe assumption that it would do up to 200 with little difficulty (given enough audio inputs).
Raw bandwidth throughput looks solid but in real world application the HDD random access writes of recording that many tracks might be a slight obstacle
Old 11th February 2013
Gear Maniac

Has anyone had experience with Sunix PCI Firewire cards?

Putting together a new PC build and can't decide whether to go with an ASUS P8Z77-V-PRO Motherboard and pairing it with the Sunix Firewire card or just grabbing an Intel DZ77RE75K Extreme Series Motherboard which has 2 1394a headers.

Note i'm going for a mobo with Thunderbolt in the interest of future expansion potential
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyOPs View Post
Raw bandwidth throughput looks solid but in real world application the HDD random access writes of recording that many tracks might be a slight obstacle
My point was that in data writting terms it sustained enough data to represent 600+ tracks (48/24), but I did conceed that it was unlikely to be anywhere near that in real terms, closer to 200 I guesstimated.

However, I had a few minutes earlier, so I decided to rise to the challenge. I set up a session in PT. Due to limitations of my PT system I decided to set-up 128 track 48/24bit recording session with a default 256 buffer size. I didn't have too much time to burn, so I only tested for about 20 mins. On the hardware monitor, the disc activity hovered between 12-20% and peaked out at 34%. I would speculate that 200 + tracks on the single SATA 3 drive would be entirely possible,though that might reduce slightly with editing.

In real terms, the largest sessions I've heard of were only around 180 tracks and as these were film sessions, I doubt that they were all running simultaneously.
Old 12th February 2013
Here for the gear

First Time Build Help /Music Production (and maybe gaming)

Would really appreciate some help. The idea is to purchase Albeton live and hope that my mbox 2 will work with reaper on windows 7 64bit after some niggling. I want to be able to record my guitar, use my recording microphone and plug in my midi keyboard. Obviously if mbox2 works then i'm a long way ahead. However, I'm quite tight on cash.

On the event that mbox 2 doesn't work; a decent sound card?

Could anyone suggest savings or somewhere where i've overgraded/undergraded my computer?

I would like to use the computer for some mild gaming, but i have an xbox so could I chuck the graphics card?

Also Should I downgrade to a 600W psu?

I have other ideas: I have a third HDD 80GB lying around, so i might install ubuntu12.04 and use that for basic use [internet/emails/libreoffice etc) A dual boot on two HDs.

Any advice whatsoever is helpful. Thanks in advance.

Case: Cooler Master Silencio 550: RC-550-KKN1,

PSU: Corseair 750w: CX750,

Motherboard: Gigabyte ATX: GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB,

CPU: Intel i5 3750 (ivy bridge): BX806237I53570K,

Network card: TP-Link 450mbps : TL-WDN4800,

SSD: Crucial M4 128GB : CT128M4SSD2BAA,

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1tb: ST31000524AS

Sound card: Asus XONAR_DG, (€30 or 24dollars)

Video card: Gigabyte GTx660 2gb GDDR5 :GV-N660OC-2GD,

Optical Drive: Asus (cheapest model almost €20) :DVD-E818A7T/BLK/B/GEN,

Ram: Kingston HyperX (2x4GB) DDR3 1600: KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX
Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewxp View Post
Built my new home studio pc today. I wanted to use it for Animation and 3ds rendering as well as programming so I maxed it out. So far so good (minus DAW)

-i7-3930K
-Rampage IV Extreme
-64GB of 1.5v Ram
-2x Nvidia 690
-1x 512GB Samsung 830 SSD (Main OS, DAW, Essential Programs)
-2x 256GB Samsung 830 SSG (Each contains EWQLSO and Hollywood Strings)
-3x 3TB Seagate HDD (1 Stores all other samples, 1 stores computer apps, 1 data)
-RME Interface (Heart and Soul of My Machine)
-4x 27" Monitors. On one SLI Card
-Windows 8 64-bit (So far so good)
-Cubase 7 (So many hangs on exit so far.... Nothing even installed yet)
-Cooling: Liquid Cooled. Wanted to be as silent as possible and not get as dusty to keep my parts clean. Worth it.

I'll see if I can find pics sometime
So you came here braggin, eh?

Obviously a cutting edge machine, but why would you need 4 27'' screens? Is this some video thing?

Also, 3 x 3TB HDDs? WTF...
Old 12th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra171 View Post
Obviously a cutting edge machine, but why would you need 4 27'' screens? Is this some video thing?

Also, 3 x 3TB HDDs? WTF...
He mentioned this is for animation, 3D rendering, and programming work. It's not uncommon to use 3 or 4 monitors. I have 4 24 inch monitors (two top, two bottom config) for my HD video editing work, and it helps to place NLE and DAW software, all of them in panorama view. Note he has TWO 690 nvidia cards. That itself is probably $2000 or more.
Old 13th February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrnn View Post
First Time Build Help /Music Production (and maybe gaming)

Would really appreciate some help. The idea is to purchase Albeton live and hope that my mbox 2 will work with reaper on windows 7 64bit after some niggling. I want to be able to record my guitar, use my recording microphone and plug in my midi keyboard. Obviously if mbox2 works then i'm a long way ahead. However, I'm quite tight on cash.

On the event that mbox 2 doesn't work; a decent sound card?

Could anyone suggest savings or somewhere where i've overgraded/undergraded my computer?

I would like to use the computer for some mild gaming, but i have an xbox so could I chuck the graphics card?

Also Should I downgrade to a 600W psu?

I have other ideas: I have a third HDD 80GB lying around, so i might install ubuntu12.04 and use that for basic use [internet/emails/libreoffice etc) A dual boot on two HDs.

Any advice whatsoever is helpful. Thanks in advance.

Case: Cooler Master Silencio 550: RC-550-KKN1,

PSU: Corseair 750w: CX750,

Motherboard: Gigabyte ATX: GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB,

CPU: Intel i5 3750 (ivy bridge): BX806237I53570K,

Network card: TP-Link 450mbps : TL-WDN4800,

SSD: Crucial M4 128GB : CT128M4SSD2BAA,

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1tb: ST31000524AS

Sound card: Asus XONAR_DG, (€30 or 24dollars)

Video card: Gigabyte GTx660 2gb GDDR5 :GV-N660OC-2GD,

Optical Drive: Asus (cheapest model almost €20) :DVD-E818A7T/BLK/B/GEN,

Ram: Kingston HyperX (2x4GB) DDR3 1600: KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX
if you really need the wireless sound card either ditch the TP-Link card, or go with the regular GA-Z77X-UD5H mother board, not the "WB" version. you dont need 2 wireless cards.

you can also ditch the sound card. your mbox is your sound card.
Old 13th February 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Juicen View Post
if you really need the wireless sound card either ditch the TP-Link card, or go with the regular GA-Z77X-UD5H mother board, not the "WB" version. you dont need 2 wireless cards.

you can also ditch the sound card. your mbox is your sound card.
I am in the same boat he is...i run ableton and use an Mbox 2 Pro, and am about to build a rig.

The above looks great. may i ask, why Der Juicen has suggested to use an
i5 rather than an i7? Is an i5 more stable than i7, or is it that you just dont get that much more bang for the buck by going higher than i5?

Also, can anyone on this thread please comment regarding the graphics cards: In addition, i need to run high end graphics, in order to score to game software builds. Any suggestions with a similar rig he's put together above?

thanks folks!
Old 14th February 2013
Gear Head

dont recall if i ever "suggested" an i5 over an i7, doubt it, dont feel like going back through the thread, but it looks like i will finally be picking up an i7 3770k next week for 229 deom microcenter. if i didnt find that price i would be going with the i53570k instead, and for my needs really would be enough.
Old 14th February 2013
Lives for gear

There's a new motherboard dedicated to hackintosh, I think it's gigabit. Do you heard about it?

Envoyé depuis mon U8860 avec Tapatalk
Old 18th February 2013
Here for the gear

Hi !

This is my first message to this awesome forum who really helped me, and continues to help me !

So i decided tu use a really dedicated, or at least an efficient, computer to replace my old DELL XPS M1710, who begins to show his bounces.

My use will be for mixing and Sound Designing.

Here is the begin of my setup :

I wanted it silent, so I choosed components that don't burn fast to limite the number of fans, that's why I didn't include any graphic card in my configuration. I've read that the HD4000 will do the trick and I plan tu use Hackintosh too, so the best proc i've found was :

i5 3570k (220€)

I've read that hyperthreading was not that efficient in audio processing and sometimes, not supported.
So let's save 100€ !
I've read too that ivy bridges used less power that Sandy bridges.

Next, I wanted at least a firewire port, 2 displays, and plenty of USB ports, so the Motherboard will be :

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB (220€)

Of course, socket 1155.
Wi-fi and Bluetooth included, we never know. I have a BT dongle, but the more USB ports are free, the better it is.

Define R4 - Black Pearl (100€)

'cause the name rocks.
Ah, and because of the silentness and the vent capability comparing to the Silentio 550 for example.

Soundcard out the box I already have

PreSonus 44VSL.
Let's hope it'll be better than with my XPS (some crackling, ...).

Now, i have to find 8G of RAM (up to 32 with this MB), a power supply, a hard drive, and ... money !

I'll continue my search, but I am wondering :
- 2 bars or 1 bar of RAM ?
- something else to take care about ?

For now, I've selected this one : whatchathink about ?

G.Skill XM Series RipJaws X Series 8 Go DDR3 1600 MHz CL9 (50€)
9ms of response

- Hard drive : i'm going on the same i've bought for my XPS :

SSD 2.5'' OCZ Agility 3 series'' - 240 Go - MLC - Sata III - AGT3-25SAT3-240G (150€ I think.)
And for the storage disk, dunno. I'll see.

- Power supply : enough power, silent, and without parasites !

For the graphic card, I'll look for it later. Let us assume that MAYBE, ONE DAY, I'll work on a game, or ... Okay, i'll want to play games on this machine...
BUT, if the dual screen isn't supported by this motherboard, i'll go at first for a passive card ; no fan and cheap. But no fan = maybe more heat = : /

So do you thinks there is, or will be a problem in this setup ? In what direction should I look for my power supply and RAM ? Anything else ?

Bye and thanks in advance.

And please excuse my approximate english, I'll do my best next time :$
Old 18th February 2013
MXX
Gear Nut

I'm helping my brother figure out what parts to get for a new PC. It's been a while since I built one myself and need some advice on a current 'best bang for buck scenario.

Right now this is where he is at: Dedicated DAW (no internet, no gaming -only for producing music) PC running Ableton 9 and Samplitude Pro X, with a MOTU UltraLite mk3 Hybrid interface and one 32" screen. The budget is roughly $1200. so I'm wondering what any of you guys that have built one on this sort of budget would recommend?
Old 19th February 2013
SEA
Lives for gear

I'm building a new DAW as well and I'm looking at these specs since I'll be doing heavy video editing and rendering.

· 850w quiet PS
· Intel i7 3930k @ 4.5GHz
· Ultra quiet CPU cooler
· X79 motherboard (up to 64GB)
· SATA-III, USB-3
· 32GB DDR3 1600MHz
· 1TB Hard Drive
· 2TB and 2TB HDs
· GTX-680 video (2GB)
· 14x Blu-ray burner
· Windows 7 Pro x64 or Windows 8 X64

I'm not sure what motherboard to go with but I was leaning on the Asus Rampage IV Extreme (unless there's a better board that gearslutz can point to.)

Thanks,
SEA
Old 20th February 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
I'm building a new DAW as well and I'm looking at these specs since I'll be doing heavy video editing and rendering.

· 850w quiet PS
· Ultra quiet CPU cooler
· SATA-III, USB-3
· 32GB DDR3 1600MHz
· 1TB Hard Drive
· 2TB and 2TB HDs
· GTX-680 video (2GB)
· 14x Blu-ray burner

I'm not sure what motherboard to go with but I was leaning on the Asus Rampage IV Extreme (unless there's a better board that gearslutz can point to.)

Thanks,
SEA

wow. 2 reads of thist thread and i finally understand why someone would want a 64 bit rig, thanx guys! With this setup you mention here...do you currently use a 64bit machine, and if so, can you simply run all the 32bit versions of apps as well? Like if i have an older app that is only 32bit...no-go, or i am still fine?

thanx
Old 20th February 2013
MXX
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXX View Post
I'm helping my brother figure out what parts to get for a new PC. It's been a while since I built one myself and need some advice on a current 'best bang for buck scenario.

Right now this is where he is at: Dedicated DAW (no internet, no gaming -only for producing music) PC running Ableton 9 and Samplitude Pro X, with a MOTU UltraLite mk3 Hybrid interface and one 32" screen. The budget is roughly $1200. so I'm wondering what any of you guys that have built one on this sort of budget would recommend?
Surely somebody has recently built a DAW PC for $1200.?
Old 20th February 2013
SEA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trupro View Post
wow. 2 reads of thist thread and i finally understand why someone would want a 64 bit rig, thanx guys! With this setup you mention here...do you currently use a 64bit machine, and if so, can you simply run all the 32bit versions of apps as well? Like if i have an older app that is only 32bit...no-go, or i am still fine?

thanx
I'm running windows 7 X64 and yes, I run all my 32bit apps with no problem.
Old 20th February 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm running windows 7 X64 and yes, I run all my 32bit apps with no problem.
Whelp, guess who's gonna build a budget rig that blows away his
dual 2.8 intel laptop?

this guy.
Old 22nd February 2013
Gear Addict

Got the thing ordered!

Really went all out on this baby....going to be my primary video/DAW/gaming (rarely) rig.

Blackhawk Ultra Case
ASUS P9X79 PRO X79 LGA2011
PSU COOLER MASTER RS800
3930k i7
32GB DDR3 1866
SSD 256GB
4TB 7200 HDDs
EVGA GTX680 4GB
BD BURN ASUS|BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS R
DELL U2711 27" ULTRASHARP DISPLAY

edit: arrived yesterday...wow that was quick

feel like a kid in a candy store !!
Old 24th February 2013
Gear Head

Quote:

· 850w quiet PS
· Ultra quiet CPU cooler
· SATA-III, USB-3
· 32GB DDR3 1600MHz
· 1TB Hard Drive
· 2TB and 2TB HDs
· GTX-680 video (2GB)
· 14x Blu-ray burner

Thanks,
SEA
That video card and processor are fantastic.
Old 25th February 2013
Lives for gear

ASRock B75 Pro3 LGA 1155
Intel i7 3770K
Seasonic G Series 550 Watt PSU
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16 GB DDR3 1600
OCZ Vertex 4 128 GB SSD
Toshiba (Hitachi) PH3200U-1I72 2 TB HDD
Fractal Design Define R4 Case
ASUS DRW-24B1ST DVD-R
Thermaltake CLP0556 CPU Cooler

I know the B75 board won't allow overclocking, but the 3770K is cheaper than the non-K version right now. And I know 1155 socket will be replaced by 1150, but I wanted to build a low/mid budget machine for my 2 Lynx AES16 PCI cards.

This motherboard has a real PCI bus instead of a bridge chip, and (3) 6GB/s SATA ports. I tried to keep each component under $100 (except for the CPU obviously). I went $10 over on the case and SSD.
Old 26th February 2013
Gear Addict

Yeah jdunn, did an almost the same machine as you did, for me the real PCI buss was inmportant! (have an EMU1820m and didnt want to buy a new one...)
It is also nice to have a machine for a really low price which is crazy fast.
Old 26th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pass-out View Post
Yeah jdunn, did an almost the same machine as you did, for me the real PCI buss was inmportant! (have an EMU1820m and didnt want to buy a new one...)
It is also nice to have a machine for a really low price which is crazy fast.
For sure, it should be a nice setup. I noticed several people on here using the B75 board for PCI. It won't get any easier to find boards with an actual PCI bus.

I kept telling myself it's a DAW, dedicated to those cards. Plus my everyday machine is on a Z77 board, and I don't have enough time in the day to get into gaming anyway.
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

I was just looking at a closeup picture of that B75 motherboard and it in fact does have a PCIe bridge chip.

So that's not a true legacy PCI bus. Same thing with the ASUS B75 board. It's a Nuvoton chip. I googled "Nuvoton PCI" and found this link.

http://www.nuvoton.com/HQ/ENU/PRODUC..._NCT5862D.aspx

[edit] OK, I think I've figured out the deal with these boards. Intel built legacy PCI into the B75 and Q77 business chipsets.

I think this is so system builders can some qualify video cards to business clients.

However, it's up to the manufacturer how this wish to implement this. Most use a PCIe bridge chip.

I'm pretty sure the Jetway Q77 board has a true legacy PCI bus though, for anyone who needs that.

The MSI B75 G43 may as well.

I was wrong above, the Nuvoton chip is for Super i/o. The ASRock and ASUS boards use the Asmedia 1083.

So does the MSI Z77.
Old 27th February 2013
Gear Head

1st build

heya,

looking to build my first pc in a long, long time and unfortunately, i'm pretty sure i'll badly screw something up without some advice. it'll be primary for audio applications - both tracking & running vstis.

i don't use huge sample libraries or romplers, so planning on skimping on the storage drives & ram for now. goal is to spend under $700 for something that i can slightly upgrade in the future if i so feel the need (i.e. packing in ram, upping the storage).

not too concerned with overclocking, most important aspect for me is a stable and relatively high powered machine that can run with low latency, play nice with a motu ultralite mk3, and handle some of my more demanding plugins without a problem.

here are the parts i have so far (Intel Core i7-3770, Corsair 300R - System Build - PCPartPicker) -

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

hope i'm not missing anything too obvious... although i very well could be! for example, would a cooler be necessary here? given that the cpu has an onboard graphics card, i'm assuming i don't need an aftermarket one.

absolutely any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated & hope i haven't messed up too bad.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search