The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The "today we build our studio pc" thread
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusschloesser View Post
not because of you guys, but because of Intel. The mix of drivers and firmware, all of them not supported by the Intel driver update tool and not really to be found on the Intel driver website, is astonishing and what needs to be installed when and by whom provided (MB manufacturers etc).
I have two TB ready devices, one PC and one Laptop, and on both of them it was a major PITA to get things running.
The new driver model that MS introduced didn't help either to ease the confusion ;-)
just read this for one problem
It would be interesting to see if anyone with mac running Windows experiences the similar experience to the pc people with TB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M32 View Post
I currently have a

I7 7700K
ASUS H270 PRO mobo
CORSAIR 32 GB ram
CORSAIR 450 WATT PSU
NOCTUA NH-d15 cooler
ASUS 1050 TI videocard
RME UFX II audio interface

It can take quite a lot, multiple instances of omnisphere, ReproV, etc. with a large amounts of tracks and a lot of realtime in-out routing for external processing, hardware synts, etc.

i tend to use low buffer settings since i do a lot of realtime stuff, and i want my gear to sync and respond as fast as possible. And i can be a bit lazy, leaving everything open instead of consolidating to audio.

So i'm thinking about upgrades. as far as i can tell, this seems like the most i could squeeze out of my budget:

10900K cpu
Z490E mobo

my questions are,

is there a valid reason for going AMD 3700X? similar in price, a bit better at multicore, a bit worse in single.

I'm not looking to overclock.

My PSU is only 450 Watts. would i need a new PSU for the 10900K/Z490E combo, as said no overclocking, no heavy graphics card. Online calculators give me very different results. Some say yes, others no.

Lastly, I've read some things about nvidia drivers being detrimental to a DAW-purposed computer. Some people seem to claim Radeon cards are better behaved for the DPC?-latency

I did change from the inbuilt GPU to the 1050TI, and did notice some performance benefit. Combined with the NH-15D cooler, my CPU never throttles and sits comforteably at full all-core boost speeds continuously.
DPC Latency checker only indicates my wireless lan card is bad, but i can turn that off when needed easily.
Microcenters most recent ad has the 3700x at $280 USD (in store only).

If i recall the from gamers nexus the 10900k can pull around 230w under load, not overclocked.

The difference in price between the two chips would cover a nice PSU with cash to spare, should you need that upgrade. It would not be out of character for AMD to further reduce prices around black Friday on last gen stuff.

If your maxing out a single core now then maybe the 10900k is the way to go. There don't seem to be many users from the intel or ryzen current chips having single core peaking being an issue for them.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefaneke View Post
Hey people,

I'm looking for a new studio system.
Hi, check this https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/krjb8J

--------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsauce View Post
Hey guys,

I've been following this thread for the past few months planning my studio PC build in preparation for AMD's Zen 3 and as we're only a week or so away from launch I wanted to post my build and ask a few questions.

AMD Ryzen 5900x
ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280
Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO
Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 (maybe to be swapped for faster speed)
Corsair MP510 1.92 TB (OS/Software/Live Session Drive)
Phanteks Eclipse P500A
Corsair RMx 750W

Cooler - I've not seen many if any one put the Arctic Liquid Freezer II in their build, although from the research I've done it seems to have the best cooling to noise ratio of anything on the market. Is there a reason people are avoiding it? Long term reliability concerns? Or am I missing something?
Hi, the cooler looks good
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/94...ler/index.html

Quote:
Mobo - I don't need TB, the connectivity seems fine and tbh I've just seen this recommended. Is there any reason I might choose something else around that price?
The Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO V1 is good, the V2 I do not know.
IF you are not sure to get the V1, better get something else like
Asus B550 STRIX-F.

Quote:
OS Drive - Again, the 'MP510' has been recommended on here but I'm not exactly sure of it's benefits over, say a 'Sabrent 2TB Rocket Q4' which is faster and cheaper.
The Sabrent is a QLC drive, no way I would choose this over the MP510.
Sorry, I am too busy to explain why...

Quote:
I currently have a

I7 7700K
ASUS H270 PRO mobo
CORSAIR 32 GB ram
CORSAIR 450 WATT PSU
NOCTUA NH-d15 cooler
ASUS 1050 TI videocard
RME UFX II audio interface

It can take quite a lot, multiple instances of omnisphere, ReproV, etc. with a large amounts of tracks and a lot of realtime in-out routing for external processing, hardware synts, etc.

i tend to use low buffer settings since i do a lot of realtime stuff, and i want my gear to sync and respond as fast as possible. And i can be a bit lazy, leaving everything open instead of consolidating to audio.

So i'm thinking about upgrades. as far as i can tell, this seems like the most i could squeeze out of my budget:

10900K cpu
Z490E mobo

my questions are,

is there a valid reason for going AMD 3700X? similar in price, a bit better at multicore, a bit worse in single.

I'm not looking to overclock.
Wait for the new Ryzen 5000 series.
Quote:
My PSU is only 450 Watts. would i need a new PSU for the 10900K/Z490E combo, as said no overclocking, no heavy graphics card. Online calculators give me very different results. Some say yes, others no.
If some say yes, others no, means you are near the limit.
For me, means NO.

Quote:
Lastly, I've read some things about nvidia drivers being detrimental to a DAW-purposed computer. Some people seem to claim Radeon cards are better behaved for the DPC?-latency
Do the tweaks and no problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue View Post
Just that it doesn't seem to be plug and play for people, as simply as say a USB device. And mac users don't seem to have any issue. Ive also seen a daw maker use that same phrasing.

Whether thats drivers, the OS, or hardware is beyond me.

Perhaps i should have phrased it in "diy pc's", instead of with Windows. Since i am not sure if the Hackintosh community is plug and play. Though there was an issue you may recall a few months back where a laptop user re-installed Windows and lost use of their TB port. Not sure if it got fixed. Maybe "on non-macs" is more accurate.

Ill edit my post if you feel it's innacurate, im changing a possibly confrontational phrase in it right now..

Id be happy to be wrong here, since im bound to Windows with vegas/samplitude, and am eyeing an apollo and new main machine this year.
No need to change anything.

It's very much about the hardware (motherboard), and the vendor drivers. But the software support is there, as long as it is TB3. TB2 and TB are both in "your mileage may vary" territory.

Complexity is similar to USB *if* the PC builder gets the BIOS set up correctly, and the motherboard drivers installed. And, again, if the device is actually Thunderbolt 3, and not TB2 requiring an adapter.

Pete
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue View Post
It would be interesting to see if anyone with mac running Windows experiences the similar experience to the pc people with TB.
If Apple provides proper and up to date drivers AND TB FW, it is easier. Don't know if that's the case.
I honestly don't know/understand why Intel don't just provide everything themselves instead of relying on MB vendors, preferably thru the "Driver and Support" assistant.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
TB2 and TB are both in "your mileage may vary" territory.

Complexity is similar to USB *if* the PC builder gets the BIOS set up correctly, and the motherboard drivers installed. And, again, if the device is actually Thunderbolt 3, and not TB2 requiring an adapter.

Pete
Ok as my UFX+ is TB with the stargate adapter, the ""your mileage may vary" territory" equals the "wtf were they thinking" that I experienced
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskeladden View Post
Like Pete said that Ethernet pcie card could be a problem and seems unnecessary.
Also another main suspect is the graphic card. Maybe Nvidia is a better choice with Intel?

Set power plan to ultimate or high performance. Also install Latencymon and let it run in idle for minimum 10 minutes. Then post a screenshot of this:
Here’s an update on my crackles and dropouts situation (sorry for the delay – I needed admin permission to upload images).

I’m a bit confused to be honest. For the past couple of weeks, any buffer under 1024 has been a crackly mess, and even at 1024 I still get one dropout for half a second or so. Today and yesterday, both with and without the PCIe card, I’m no longer getting crackling at 256 and the Cubase ASIO meter is roughly inline with Task Manager’s CPU use. A buffer of 128 is still crackling but I don’t really need to go down that low.

I haven’t determined what’s improved things because I don’t recall changing anything. I disabled unused SATA ports and USB controllers, but that didn’t change things so I reinstated them. Wasn’t aware of any updates happening in the background either (most have been disabled). I’m leaving the PCIe card out for now, to eliminate it as the cause of any other issues.

Before I say things are “fixed”, I still get at least one brief dropout (no crackles, just silence for a moment) after about a minute of playback on most projects I play. With or without the PCIe card – so I think there’s still something going on here.

I’ve ran LatencyMon a few times, with varying results so I thought I’d share the worst below. Ndis.sys is often one of the highest. The one “with Cubase” I ran while Cubase and VEPro were loaded (but not playing). The others are all running LatencyMon only.

Thanks again for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
The "today we build our studio pc" thread-1a.jpg   The "today we build our studio pc" thread-1b.jpg   The "today we build our studio pc" thread-2a.jpg   The "today we build our studio pc" thread-2b.jpg   The "today we build our studio pc" thread-cubase-1.jpg  

The "today we build our studio pc" thread-cubase-2.jpg  
M32
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
Do the tweaks and no problem.
Wow, this was the best tip ever!
turns out the GPU card was set to optimal power instead of performance
i used the MSI utiliti to enable MSI on my graphics card and wlan card and set priority on low for the GPU.

I tested it on a recent project that was on the edge of crackling/stuttering, and i can now lower the buffer from 128 to 64, and it runs totally solid! cpu indicates a higher average load, but less spikes.

i can now comforteably wait until Ryzen 5000 is released, optimised and hopefully settled in price.

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Now I think I'll just switch to a USB interface (sell TB3 Arrow) buy AMD 5600X (with 20 PCIe4 lanes I guess I'll be able to add more SSD's with some kind of a hub), save some money (comparing too 5950 or i10s), play on Reverb G2 and look for new problems instead of working :P. Or just stay with Mini and buy PSVR2/PS5 when available ^^
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd778 View Post
Here’s an update on my crackles and dropouts situation(...)
Look here and here.

Quote:
Wow, this was the best tip ever!
turns out the GPU card was set to optimal power instead of performance
i used the MSI utility to enable MSI on my graphics card and wlan card and set priority on low for the GPU.

I tested it on a recent project that was on the edge of crackling/stuttering, and i can now lower the buffer from 128 to 64, and it runs totally solid! cpu indicates a higher average load, but less spikes.

i can now comfortably wait until Ryzen 5000 is released, optimized and hopefully settled in price.

Thanks a lot guys!
Thanks for reporting back!
Here for the gear

Quote:
Look here and here.

Great - thanks!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd778 View Post

I’ve ran LatencyMon a few times, with varying results so I thought I’d share the worst below. Ndis.sys is often one of the highest. The one “with Cubase” I ran while Cubase and VEPro were loaded (but not playing). The others are all running LatencyMon only.

Thanks again for your help.
classpnp.sys can indicate either failing/old drives or bad storage controller. Do you have a HDD hard drive connected through sata or usb? Also try disabling all antivirus when running latency test. Ndis.sys is your network driver
Lives for gear
Hi all,

I just built an i9 10900K machine to these specs and had questions about DPC latency.
with the 10900K I'm running:
ASUS Tuff Gaming z490 Plus
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4
Nvidia 1070 Ti.

I have noticed that coming from my old i7 4930K, the Pro Tools performance isn't a dramatic improvement as I had expected, especially at a 64 buffer size. I'm still getting more overloads than I'd like, even with few plugins. I have followed all Avid-recommended optimizations.

Here's what my latencymon report looked like yesterday. If anyone can help me optimize, I'd really appreciate it!
Attached Thumbnails
The "today we build our studio pc" thread-latencymon-10-29-2020.jpg  
Quote:
Look here and here.

Please don't follow that second guide. There are some good ideas in there, but also a lot of stuff that is just wrong on a modern PC.

Pete
Quote:
classpnp.sys can indicate either failing/old drives or bad storage controller. Do you have a HDD hard drive connected through sata or usb? Also try disabling all antivirus when running latency test. Ndis.sys is your network driver
Could also be SATA/PCIe conflicts. Motherboard manual usually details which ports share resources.

Odd that latencymon wasn't showing any long ISRs, though. Makes me wonder what else is going on.

Pete
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drywsef View Post
Hi all,

I just built an i9 10900K machine to these specs and had questions about DPC latency.
with the 10900K I'm running:
ASUS Tuff Gaming z490 Plus
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4
Nvidia 1070 Ti.

I have noticed that coming from my old i7 4930K, the Pro Tools performance isn't a dramatic improvement as I had expected, especially at a 64 buffer size. I'm still getting more overloads than I'd like, even with few plugins. I have followed all Avid-recommended optimizations.

Here's what my latencymon report looked like yesterday. If anyone can help me optimize, I'd really appreciate it!
I don't know what audio interface you got, but you probably have to update it if you want to see more improvement. Asio drivers and connection like thunderbolt can make a "huge" difference. Also Avid (pro tools) on Windows is not the best choice. That is more a Apple brand in my view. I have not tried Pro Tools on Windows but I have tried other Avid software like Sibelius that is shockingly laggy and buggy.
Lives for gear
Quote:
I don't know what audio interface you got, but you probably have to update it if you want to see more improvement. Asio drivers and connection like thunderbolt can make a "huge" difference.
Thanks,
I'm running PTHD 2020.9.1 via HD native PCIe. I am running the latest HD driver.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusschloesser View Post
If Apple provides proper and up to date drivers AND TB FW, it is easier. Don't know if that's the case.
I honestly don't know/understand why Intel don't just provide everything themselves instead of relying on MB vendors, preferably thru the "Driver and Support" assistant.
I don't know either, i would suspect that maybe dodging the myriad of tech support questions related to it might be part of it. Things might change when all or most mb's are officially certified.

My biggest complaint is lack of ability to test it before shelling out for TB hardware, which is usually on the higher price points.

Quote:
No need to change anything.

It's very much about the hardware (motherboard), and the vendor drivers. But the software support is there, as long as it is TB3. TB2 and TB are both in "your mileage may vary" territory.

Pete
cool.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Please don't follow that second guide. There are some good ideas in there, but also a lot of stuff that is just wrong on a modern PC.

Pete
My personal PC is way more radical than the stuff from the second link...
Here for the gear

First build attempt

Hello all,

My ancient laptop is choking on my projects now and it's time to try a build with a $2000 ceiling that will also be used for content creation. Thoughts: 1 TB SSD for Win 10, Studio One, plugins, and Adobe's Creative Cloud suite. 2 TB SSD for audio files and samples, and 8 TB HD for archiving and all the rest. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm a complete noob. Here's my list...

CPU
Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core

CPU Cooler
be quiet! Pure Rock 2

Motherboard
Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX LGA1200

Memory
Kingston HyperX Fury 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16

Storage
Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Storage
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Storage
Seagate IronWolf Pro 8 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Case
be quiet! Silent Base 801 ATX Mid Tower

Power Supply
EVGA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Pete
It worked on my machine . No idea which part , but now it is functional
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly57 View Post
Hello all,

My ancient laptop is choking on my projects now and it's time to try a build with a $2000 ceiling that will also be used for content creation. Thoughts: 1 TB SSD for Win 10, Studio One, plugins, and Adobe's Creative Cloud suite. 2 TB SSD for audio files and samples, and 8 TB HD for archiving and all the rest. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm a complete noob. Here's my list...

CPU Cooler
be quiet! Pure Rock 2

Why Intel when AMD is better and is launching even better CPUs?
AMD Ryzen 5000 Series
Here for the gear

Quote:
Why Intel when AMD is better and is launching even better CPUs?
AMD Ryzen 5000 Series
Yeah, I get that, but I'll also be running Photoshop and Premiere Pro (once I get a graphics card) and I've read they don't play as well with AMD CPUs. There's so much info out there tho, some of it contradictory, and it gets pretty confusing. Is the myth that AMD CPUs are problematic with plugins just that? A myth? Thanks for the info, Pictus!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly57 View Post
Yeah, I get that, but I'll also be running Photoshop and Premiere Pro (once I get a graphics card) and I've read they don't play as well with AMD CPUs. Thanks for the info, Pictus!
You are welcome!
No, just the other way around!!
I do not use Premiere Pro, but use Photoshop a lot!!!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/109864...57623093524617

Some stuff for you to check:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...-3rd-Gen-1763/

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...Worth-It-1838/
Here for the gear

Ok guys, so I was wrong; the MSI MEG Z490 ACE is a GOOD Motherboard for audio after all. I bought a different one and got the same results (ASUS Maximus Hero XII Wifi)... The problem is the Windows service "Diagnostic Policy Service" (DPS); it causes a 270microsecond spike, and in my tests it does that every 15 minutes from boot.

It'd be great if someone out there with a stable Win10 64 system (DPC-wise) could try to "start" the service while running LatencyMon, to see if this service really is an enemy of PC DAWs... Does it cause a spike for you too? For me this happens every 15 minutes.

A big helper in stability for me was disabling Intel Speed Shift in the BIOS (not to be confused with speed STEP). I'm trying to point out things I haven't seen suggested for DAW tweaks; maybe I missed it, but DPS & Speed Shift made a huge difference for me, and weren't really mentioned for DAWs in my research online.

For fan noise; I went with lots of 140mm Noctua fans and a fully open case (Fractal Meshify C); the fans are set to run very slow; temps are the same as my old quiet closed PC case, but WAY less noisy; almost half the noise as a "DAW" silent case... The fans were more expensive, but the case was cheaper...

With all these tests, I'm stuck with having to sell off an extra pair of RAM sticks; can't decide which to keep:

Kingston Fury 3200Mhz (with Intel XMP)
or
CORSAIR Vengence 4000mhz ("built for AMD"; no XMP)

Here's the rest of my rig:

Intel i9 10850k
Noctua nh-d15
ASUS z490 Maximus Hero XII Wifi
ADATA xpg sx8200 pro 2TB, 4x (one with PCIe expansion card)
EVGA platinum 750W (can't remember the exact model)
WD Black Caviar 1TB, 2x
ASUS Radeon 570
UAD2 Quad
Firewire & USB PCIe expansions
3 OSs (Win10 64); 1 "Studio, 1 "Live Rig", 1 "Office"
Cubase 10 & RME Babyface Pro

Just have to decide on RAM; both are compatible with my MB... Is there a test I could run?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawdon View Post

Intel i9 10850k
Noctua nh-d15
WD Black Caviar 1TB, 2x
ASUS Radeon 570
UAD2 Quad

Just have to decide on RAM; both are compatible with my MB... Is there a test I could run?
Firewire, UAD2 Quad, USB pcie expansions could all cause latency issue I guess. Just try and disable them all in device manager and see if the issue is still there. Also have you updated firmware on your ADATA xpg sx8200 pro 2TB. Some motherboards are very specific about what NVMe it supports, but since you got it working I guess your fine.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Firewire, UAD2 Quad, USB pcie expansions could all cause latency issue I guess. Just try and disable them all in device manager and see if the issue is still there. Also have you updated firmware on your ADATA xpg sx8200 pro 2TB. Some motherboards are very specific about what NVMe it supports, but since you got it working I guess your fine.
I ran all my tests without the PCIe cards; even with just integrated graphics; always the same result. I tried to update the M.2 firmware, but ADATA's program for that is weird; you click the "update firmware" button, and nothing happens... I guess it's updated... But again, I tried these tests with only my WD Black Caviar drives installed; same results again. The only things I haven't swapped out are the PSU & CPU...
Quote:
Ok guys, so I was wrong; the MSI MEG Z490 ACE is a GOOD Motherboard for audio after all. I bought a different one and got the same results (ASUS Maximus Hero XII Wifi)... The problem is the Windows service "Diagnostic Policy Service" (DPS); it causes a 270microsecond spike, and in my tests it does that every 15 minutes from boot.

It'd be great if someone out there with a stable Win10 64 system (DPC-wise) could try to "start" the service while running LatencyMon, to see if this service really is an enemy of PC DAWs... Does it cause a spike for you too? For me this happens every 15 minutes.

A big helper in stability for me was disabling Intel Speed Shift in the BIOS (not to be confused with speed STEP). I'm trying to point out things I haven't seen suggested for DAW tweaks; maybe I missed it, but DPS & Speed Shift made a huge difference for me, and weren't really mentioned for DAWs in my research online.

For fan noise; I went with lots of 140mm Noctua fans and a fully open case (Fractal Meshify C); the fans are set to run very slow; temps are the same as my old quiet closed PC case, but WAY less noisy; almost half the noise as a "DAW" silent case... The fans were more expensive, but the case was cheaper...

With all these tests, I'm stuck with having to sell off an extra pair of RAM sticks; can't decide which to keep:

Kingston Fury 3200Mhz (with Intel XMP)
or
CORSAIR Vengence 4000mhz ("built for AMD"; no XMP)

Intel i9 10850k
Noctua nh-d15
WD Black Caviar 1TB, 2x
ASUS Radeon 570
UAD2 Quad

No spikes from that for me. But also, 270 microseconds isn't likely to cause a glitch.

I do see public reports of high CPU usage, though. No one is sure what is causing it. In those threads, they recommend:

1. Stop the service
2. Delete the \Windows\System32\sru folder (you can only do this when the service has been stopped)
3. Set the service to auto

Pete
Here for the gear

Quote:
No spikes from that for me. But also, 270 microseconds isn't likely to cause a glitch.

I do see public reports of high CPU usage, though. No one is sure what is causing it. In those threads, they recommend:

1. Stop the service
2. Delete the \Windows\System32\sru folder (you can only do this when the service has been stopped)
3. Set the service to auto

Pete
Interesting... I'll just leave it disabled then. Thanks so much!
Quote:
Interesting... I'll just leave it disabled then. Thanks so much!
It sounded like a big part of what caused the delay was that growing folder. I suggest deleting it as well.

Pete
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hello All,

New to the forum. Looking for advice on a DAW build. I'm going 10900k and need a Thunderbolt equipped mobo to host my PreSonus Quantum. I've noticed people using the Gigabyte Vision D or Asus ProArt Creator. Is there an advantage of one over another? Also, is there any advantage to doing a discrete thunderbolt PCIe card?
📝 Reply