The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The "today we build our studio pc" thread
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post

Either way, definitely try to check for yourself in a store. I switched to 3440x1440 earlier this year and I'll never go back from ultrawide. The text is a hair smaller for me coming from a 24 inch 1920x1200, but it's fine. Plus I keep my 24 inch of course so now I have a second monitor for some duties.
Agreed (this is great advice). I switched to 2k resolution this year, and I have a dual monitor setup with a 32 inch and a 27 inch monitor. The 27 inch is mainly used for control panels (for interfaces) and RME's TotalMix app screens - the 32 inch is the mixing palette, so to speak. I love it - and don't plan on ever going back either. The only move in the future will probably be to an ultrawide at some point as well - but for now the 32 inch at 2k is brilliant. No text readability issues at that size either (some apps may need you to change a few default settings for optimum visibility, of course).

Strongly recommend checking a few out at a store...

Last edited by vicenzajay; 4 weeks ago at 05:14 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumi View Post
Thank you, Pete!

What would you recommend, then?
Include a retail OS license as part of the budget.

The nice thing is, once purchased, you'll be able to move it to later builds if you upgrade or build a replacement PC.

Pete
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 View Post
OEM Windows 10 licenses are not valid for individuals, and also aren't portable across hardware upgrades like retail Pro licenses are.
Ive often seen OEM licences on sale at newegg and microcenter, but have never noticed a footnote about not being valid for individuals. Are all oem licenses subject to the same policy, or are the retailers like newegg selling a different oem licence?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not the license enforcement police, but I'm going to need to be "that guy" here.
Sometimes it is not an advantage to have a MS guy around...

--------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Please never leave this forum @ Pictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaarwerk View Post
What I did, is buy a cheap Ryzen 3 3100, and later on switch to Zen3, buy some cheap memory that works with Ryzen right now.

It'll be only as transition, costs a few bucks, but it makes it work until it comes out. Furthermore, @ Pictus has the right tips.

It's not certain when the new CPUs come out (also availability). maybe an idea.
It is a good idea and this is the RAM for the next Ryzen
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/me...t=price&page=1
Changing the CPU may trigger software protection, may need reactivation...

Quote:
I thought PWM was an issue mainly for laptops?

Either way, definitely try to check for yourself in a store. I switched to 3440x1440 earlier this year and I'll never go back from ultrawide. The text is a hair smaller for me coming from a 24 inch 1920x1200, but it's fine. Plus I keep my 24 inch of course so now I have a second monitor for some duties.
No and LCD TVs are the worst!
Excluding the OLED models, only some SONY LCD TVs do not use PWM!!
I do not remember if it is the case for plasma models...
Some models may use high frequency PWM and will be not much a problem.
Anyway, you can check at
https://www.rtings.com/tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringles View Post
Thank you Pictus for your answer
You are welcome.
Quote:

Could you please explain why the MB I picked isn't up to the task? It looks like it can handle M.2 SSD, all the SATA drives I need and the 3200MHz RAM, what am I missing?
What happens if you drop a 12 cylinder motor into a Ford Pinto?

The motherboard VRM is weak, will generate too much heat, to make things
worst it does not even have heatsinks, to avoid damage the CPU will throttle
down, the capacitors near the VRM will have shorter life...
It is not only power, but also electric signal quality...
Does all headphones/mics/amplifier have the same quality?
The system will not have all the processing power the CPU can provides and
may not be stable... Then you will say that AMD CPUs are crap...
Quote:
Thanks for your input on RAM. I didn't know about the RAM calculator, this can be handy.
It is excellent!

You may like this too https://www.computerbase.de/thema/ram/rangliste/
Use Google Chrome to translate.

BTW, to avoid headaches buy Crucial RAM.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I thought PWM was an issue mainly for laptops?
Sorry, but that's incorrect, and the bigger the screen the more PWM there is to numb your mind. I know that sounds like a typical Gearslutz personal opinion -- except you'll discover it really is an indisputable fact once you look into it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue View Post
Ive often seen OEM licences on sale at newegg and microcenter, but have never noticed a footnote about not being valid for individuals. Are all oem licenses subject to the same policy, or are the retailers like newegg selling a different oem licence?
Windows 10 OEM licenses are not for individuals. Interesting that Newegg sells them. That's a dead-end license from a practical standpoint as well.

The OEM license there is $150. The full retail is $200.

This is the disclaimer Newegg provides. Emphasis mine:

Quote:
Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed. To acquire Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see our full package "Retail" product offerings.
An OEM is required to do things like provide a new license if they have to replace your motherboard (or other "central" component). They are also required to provide all support.

So, let's say you buy OEM and build your PC. You then find that the motherboard is faulty, and so return it for a new one. You will end up having to purchase a new OEM license as well.

IMO, Newegg shouldn't be selling these without a huge up-front, in-your-face disclaimer, because the policy changed after Windows 7.

Pete
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Windows 10 OEM licenses are not for individuals. Interesting that Newegg sells them. That's a dead-end license from a practical standpoint as well.

The OEM license there is $150. The full retail is $200.

This is the disclaimer Newegg provides. Emphasis mine:

An OEM is required to do things like provide a new license if they have to replace your motherboard (or other "central" component). They are also required to provide all support.

So, let's say you buy OEM and build your PC. You then find that the motherboard is faulty, and so return it for a new one. You will end up having to purchase a new OEM license as well.

IMO, Newegg shouldn't be selling these without a huge up-front, in-your-face disclaimer, because the policy changed after Windows 7.

Pete
I had heard about the difference as far as being tied to your hardware, and that alone swayed me to the retail version.

Amazing ive never seen the disclaimer, despite sellers including the oem price in ads targeted at consumers! I agree they should make the disclaimer in your face. Its funny to see an "authorised" re-seller working in the gray area. Lol i mean, are system re-seller really shopping in the weekly ads for deals very often?

Thanks for clarifying.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post

You are welcome.

What happens if you drop a 12 cylinder motor into a Ford Pinto?

The motherboard VRM is weak, will generate too much heat, to make things
worst it does not even have heatsinks, to avoid damage the CPU will throttle
down, the capacitors near the VRM will have shorter life...
It is not only power, but also electric signal quality...
Does all headphones/mics/amplifier have the same quality?
The system will not have all the processing power the CPU can provides and
may not be stable... Then you will say that AMD CPUs are crap...
Thanks a lot for your explanations
You recommend a Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO ATX AM4 for the MB.
What do you think of this cheaper alternative: Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS? I could be wrong but it looks like it could be enough?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/qXB...b550-aorus-pro
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pringles View Post
Thanks a lot for your explanations
You recommend a Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO ATX AM4 for the MB.
What do you think of this cheaper alternative: Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS? I could be wrong but it looks like it could be enough?
I am glad to help, yes it should work ok, but make sure there is a
good airflow inside the case.

I have the ATX version(has Thunderbolt header) of this motherboard +
Ryzen 5 3600 and was able to overclock both my Crucial RAM kits 2x8
3000MHz and 2x16 3200MHz to 3733MHz, but not tested with 4 RAM sticks...
With the 1usmus calculator you probably will able to run at 3600MHz, the
Gigabyte Pro is a 6 layer PCB motherboard and the TUF is 4, with 6 layers
the signal between the CPU and RAM/PCIe slots is better...
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...g-guide/7.html

You can also economize some bucks by getting the 3000/3200MHz kit
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/gCC...l2k16g32c16u4b
and overclock with the Calculator.
Overclock is a possibility, not a guarantee...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:

Note: Before someone brings up the EU ruling: these are almost never individual people selling their old and unused retail (non-OEM, non-MSDN/Technet, non-volume license) license of Windows 10, and so the EU resale ruling does not cover it

Pete
I already started searching for english language links about the whole OEM situation in the EU and especially Germany 😂😁
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
The keys sold by keysoff are retail keys. Nothing to worry about it seems.

Just do a "slmgr /dli" as an admin from a command prompt to find out the type of key you're using.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
Sometimes it is not an advantage to have a MS guy around...

It is a good idea and this is the RAM for the next Ryzen
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/me...t=price&page=1
Changing the CPU may trigger software protection, may need reactivation...
Good point, shouldn't be an issue. As long as MS don't call me asking for bank account info :-P
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Advice for everyone here--some things are best not posted here and discussed... For example--windows licenses not from retail channels. On many boards the mods delete posts and ban repeat offenders.

Last edited by ponzi; 3 weeks ago at 10:19 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
Advice for everyone here--some things are best not posted here and discussed... For example--windows licenses not from retail channels. On many boards the mods delete posts and ban repeat offenders.
Err, sure, but my thing had nothing to do with obscure licenses. I change hardware (switch out tenporary things). I have a valid key, and from the MS store itself.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Finally getting my new build running as it should.

Was going to do a light overclock (like to 4.5 - 4.8 or something) and wondered if there was anything special I needed to worry about?

I'm running :

- Gigabyte Vision G
- Ripjaws V series 16x2
- Noctua d15 sso2

Do I need to do anything to the RAM settings? Just OC in the BIOS? Is that the right amount of OC?

Thanks all.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by redddog View Post
Finally getting my new build running as it should.

Was going to do a light overclock (like to 4.5 - 4.8 or something) and wondered if there was anything special I needed to worry about?

I'm running :

- Gigabyte Vision G
- Ripjaws V series 16x2
- Noctua d15 sso2

Do I need to do anything to the RAM settings? Just OC in the BIOS? Is that the right amount of OC?

Thanks all.
There are whole forums dedicated to overclocking. Those usually have better resources than here, even if they are mostly focused on gaming.

That said, even before overclocking, make sure you are getting the most out of your RAM. This is performance that many give up right from the start. Chances are, the value your BIOS picked is below the capabilities on the label. Take note of the voltage requirements in any XMP and be sure to follow those settings.

Pete
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitaarwerk View Post
Err, sure, but my thing had nothing to do with obscure licenses. I change hardware (switch out tenporary things). I have a valid key, and from the MS store itself.
Looks like I didn’t understand your post, so apologies for appearing to single you out. I deleted your quote out of my original post. Basically I am talking to anyone who feels its a good idea to discuss license keys that cost less than $190 when we are getting tons of great advice from a microsoft employee.

Last edited by ponzi; 3 weeks ago at 10:21 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
I'm glad you guys had the discussion about Windows OEM keys. Especially since OEM keys are what pops up with you select Software on pcpartspicker. Can you guys suggest the best place to buy the retail version of Windows 10 Pro?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy View Post
I'm glad you guys had the discussion about Windows OEM keys. Especially since OEM keys are what pops up with you select Software on pcpartspicker. Can you guys suggest the best place to buy the retail version of Windows 10 Pro?
I'm assuming this is for a new PC, given this thread title.

Microsoft Store (Windows 10 Pro is $199 for download or on USB)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/wi...%3aoverviewtab

Amazon (Windows 10 Pro: 190.99 download, $199 on USB)
https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Win...0835175&sr=8-5

There are other reputable dealers, like Newegg, Walmart, and others in other countries, of course. Just make sure it's the retail version, not OEM. Last I checked, Amazon was the only other authorized seller for downloadable versions.

For PCs that already have a version of Windows installed, I'd try this route first:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...ead/ar-BBZQybQ

Pete
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
Looks like I didn’t understand your post, so apologies for appearing to single you out. I deleted your quote out of my original post. Basically I am talking to anyone who feels its a good idea to discuss license keys that cost less than $190 when we are getting tons of great advice from a microsoft employee.
No need to apologise It's goot to have a fair warning
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
I'm assuming this is for a new PC, given this thread title.
Yes sir! I am gathering parts for a new build. I have already bought the i9-10900k and have my list together for the rest of the parts. I just stay super busy with work and haven't taken the time to order the other parts.

Thank you for the links. I am glad I didn't get the OEM version. I wish that the retail version was listed on PC Parts Picker.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hey guys Im about to build new computer for studio needs. I’m looking at the high end new Intel procesors. Does Logic benefits from extra cores? There is a 10 core 5.3ghz 10900k version and 18 core 4.6ghz version.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefKaspa View Post
Hey guys Im about to build new computer for studio needs. I’m looking at the high end new Intel procesors. Does Logic benefits from extra cores? There is a 10 core 5.3ghz 10900k version and 18 core 4.6ghz version.
Yes cores are helpful, but bus processing gets lumped into one core so I find my biggest bottleneck is single core speed. Next comp I get the focus will be on highest single core speed, and less on number of cores.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefKaspa View Post
There seems to be a general point of diminishing returns with daws above 16 cores.

These tests might help you decide.

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-a...el-cpus-tested
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotomoto View Post
Yes cores are helpful, but bus processing gets lumped into one core so I find my biggest bottleneck is single core speed. Next comp I get the focus will be on highest single core speed, and less on number of cores.
This is a key factor. What is the singal chain, CPU, daw, buffer and ram that your maxing out?

We have have barely any data on single core performance in the thread.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Well I have a 2018 MBP with 6 core i7 at 2.2 ghz. Running Logic Pro 10.14, typically maxes out one core when I start doing a lot of bus processing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I'm building a new PC. I would like to check with people here to make sure I'm choosing compatible parts. Also if anyone has suggestions for something I can do better I would appreciate advice. The parts I'm looking at are:

CPU
Intel I9-10900

MB
Gigabyte UD Intel Z490 S1200

SATA HD
Samsung 870 QVO

Memory (RAM)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4-3200 (2 x 16 GB)

CPU FAN
Noctua NH-D15
or
Noctua NH-U12S (This one is cheaper)

Power Supply
Corsair CX750

CASE
Fractal Design R5

Thanks.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMDX View Post
I'm building a new PC. I would like to check with people here to make sure I'm choosing compatible parts. Also if anyone has suggestions for something I can do better I would appreciate advice. The parts I'm looking at are:

CPU
Intel I9-10900

MB

SATA HD
Samsung 870 QVO

Memory (RAM)

CPU FAN
Noctua NH-D15
or

Power Supply
Corsair CX750

CASE
Fractal Design R5

Thanks.
Why SATA instead of M.2 NVMe?

I personally don't like the gaming LAN interfaces. I haven't used the Realtek one, but the "bandwidth management" piece puts me off. I have past experience with Killer LAN products and they absolutely tanked realtime audio performance.

Check the motherboard manual and see if it says that you'll get better performance with 4 sticks of memory vs 2. Also check their list of compatible memory.

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherbo...0-UD-rev-10#kf

Pete
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMDX View Post

CPU
Intel I9-10900

MB

SATA HD
Samsung 870 QVO

Memory (RAM)

CPU FAN
Noctua NH-D15
or

Power Supply
Corsair CX750

CASE
Fractal Design R5

Thanks.
You could save some $ without sacrificing much, if any performance with the 10850k. Might be worth checking out.

RAM with a micron e-die is easier on the memory controller. The crucial ballistix is worth looking at.

You might want to step up the psu to rmx to get the semi passive/variable speed fan.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why SATA instead of M.2 NVMe?

I personally don't like the gaming LAN interfaces. I haven't used the Realtek one, but the "bandwidth management" piece puts me off. I have past experience with Killer LAN products and they absolutely tanked realtime audio performance.

Check the motherboard manual and see if it says that you'll get better performance with 4 sticks of memory vs 2. Also check their list of compatible memory.

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherbo...0-UD-rev-10#kf

Pete
Yea, its crazy..the new new Samsung NVME PCIE 4.0 are claiming speeds 7x faster than the best SATA SSD's...that's like moving from a slow spinner to an SSD. Big jump in performance...
📝 Reply