The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The "today we build our studio pc" thread
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue View Post
Micron E die seems to be most desirable with r3000. Not sure if its e die or not, but Paul's hardware states the g skill ripjaws v is tested and approved with r3000. Might be a good alternative if you can't find e die.
Why Paul recommends G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (Hynix CJR) for $76.99
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jBZ...600c16d-16gvkc
When Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (Micron E-die) is better and cheaper for $74.99
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fDn...bl2k8g36c16u4r

Why a crap slow and low endurance(100TBW) QLC SSD NVMe, Crucial P1 for $59.99
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/xpY...ve-ct500p1ssd8
When for $69.98 the TLC NVMe ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kVz...200pnp-512gt-c
is faster and a lot more endurance(320 TBW), but it can endure a lot more.
Old 9th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
Why Paul recommends G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (Hynix CJR) for $76.99
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jBZ...600c16d-16gvkc
When Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (Micron E-die) is better and cheaper for $74.99
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fDn...bl2k8g36c16u4r

Why a crap slow and low endurance(100TBW) QLC SSD NVMe, Crucial P1 for $59.99
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/xpY...ve-ct500p1ssd8
When for $69.98 the TLC NVMe ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kVz...200pnp-512gt-c
is faster and a lot more endurance(320 TBW), but it can endure a lot more.
No clue why paul picks the parts he does, i would guess perhaps sponsors might come into play. His builds are often game centric. Ive seen him reccomend adata drives previously, tho he seems to stick w gskill ram quite a bit.

My sole reasoning for posting the vid was to show some more ram that is ryzen tested and approved.

At my local retailer ballistix isn't available and ripjaws is the best priced ram often times.

Just wanted to offer an alternative that is known to work well w ryzen in case availability was an issue. I should have included a time stamp.
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Nut
At my local retailer ballistix isn't available and ripjaws is the best priced ram often times.

Just wanted to offer an alternative that is known to work well w ryzen in case availability was an issue. I should have included a time stamp.[/QUOTE]

That's right just put mine together: 64GB Ripjaws RAM, Ryzen 3900XT, GEForce GTX 1650 Super, 1 TB Samsung SSD. I use what's on sale if it is reliable enough.
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac 7777 View Post

Just wanted to offer an alternative that is known to work well w ryzen in case availability was an issue. I should have included a time stamp.

Nice! What interface are you using? How many tracks and plugs are you able to run at low buffers? Any issues/odd behaviour? Just trying to get a feel for the 3900xt since we have to test data on it yet.

Last edited by Kyle P. Gushue; 12th August 2020 at 03:48 AM..
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

update:

Power/splitter cable arrived today.

Installed new 4-T WD Black Drive.

Yeah ... more space!

Thanks for helping
Old 12th August 2020
Gear Nut
Quote:
That's right just put mine together: 64GB Ripjaws RAM, Ryzen 3900XT, GEForce GTX 1650 Super, 1 TB Samsung SSD. I use what's on sale if it is reliable enough.
Nice! What interface are you using? How many tracks and plugs are you able to run at low buffers? Just trying to get a feel for the 3900xt since we have to test data on it yet.[/QUOTE]

I am using a Focusrite Scarlett. I am going to get an RME with an RMC controller next purchase. Drivers are ok, but I don't expect ultra low latency with Focusrite drivers though. I will download a Dawbench test for you once I get my Kontakt transferred over. Literally just put it together. Only chose 3900XT over 3900X because it was on sale for just a little bit more and I never use a stock cooler anyway. I am hoping for big gains in Melodyne tracks to edit harmonies. I am also hoping for improvement in Omnisphere loading times. I have been with these products from the beginning and they are the only processing hogs. I have my own 120+ track projects to load that are out of processing power on the old PC so I will report on that as well.
Old 12th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac 7777 View Post

I am using a Focusrite Scarlett. I am going to get an RME with an RMC controller next purchase. Drivers are ok, but I don't expect ultra low latency with Focusrite drivers though. I will download a Dawbench test for you once I get my Kontakt transferred over. Literally just put it together. Only chose 3900XT over 3900X because it was on sale for just a little bit more and I never use a stock cooler anyway. I am hoping for big gains in Melodyne tracks to edit harmonies. I am also hoping for improvement in Omnisphere loading times. I have been with these products from the beginning and they are the only processing hogs. I have my own 120+ track projects to load that are out of processing power on the old PC so I will report on that as well.
Very cool. Just fyi there has been some talk recently on this thread that RME might have some issues on x570's asmedia usb controller. Although the talk was not very specific, or well defined, but it might be something just to keep in mind if it applies to you. The scan tests of r3000 were done on a rme babyface, but they didn't list the mobo/chipset.

Looking forward to seeing how things work out for ya, best of luck!
Old 13th August 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Which topic amd or the asmedia usb concerns? SOS is a great resource.

Interesting all around. I know usb 2.0 interfaces struggled with 20 channel streams, i wonder if these issues are with the 3.x interfaces if RME has made any yet (im a bit behind on rme).

Its also interesting that performancw was better with thr pcie usb card. I wonder if it was because you bypassed the chipset on the z97 board.

Ive yet to see a direct test comparison on ports thru thr chipset vs direct to CPU, but ive been curious lately about performance and stability between the two.
AMD vs Intel: https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-a...el-cpus-tested

re performance on the z97a: could be, the DMI link on Intel boards is limited

RME takes USB to the next level, that's why they don't necessarily need TB to achieve very low latency (see TAFKAT's DAW /latency thread). Downside though is, that the USB controller and its drivers need to play along. The manual actually mentions ASmedia controller as "not recommended"
Here's a couple of threads from the RME forum talking about the issue:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic...145380#p145380
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30331 (On an Intel board, because they also use ASmedia chips for additional ports on those)
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30802
They were also problems on Macs with ASmedia controllers, which RME fixed with a fw update
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusschloesser View Post

....RME takes USB to the next level, that's why they don't necessarily need TB to achieve very low latency (see TAFKAT's DAW /latency thread). Downside though is, that the USB controller and its drivers need to play along. The manual actually mentions ASmedia controller as "not recommended"
The interesting thing is that, at this point, USB and TB3 are not that different. USB still suffers from timing interrupts, but I suspect that it's kind of a non-issue due to the overall speed & bandwidth. Also USB 3.x with the newest mobos will "usually" (from what I've seen, at least) have 1-2 ports connected directly to the cpu, which cannot be said for most Windows TB3 implementations. Not surprisingly, the ASMedia USB 3.1 controller uses chipset lanes, which is probably why it's so problematic. (I refuse to believe that 4K total bandwidth is enough for a heavily-pushed pro system.)

And heck, USB 4.x is right around the corner.

Having said that, the audio interface community has to minimize how many formats they are going to support, and TB3 seems to be the current high end for DAW-oriented hardware. Ravenna holds some promise for the future, but right now seems only entrenched in touring audio and huge AV installations.

I think TB3 is the safest way to go, as of right now. Massive respect for RME's drivers, of course. Sadly, not as much respect for the sound of their converters.
(Good, but not great.)
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

BTW -

I never did build my new computers. Too many "ifs" and compromises with the ram & the TB3 & whatnot. Plus this bloody pandemic has decimated all my business anyway.

So for now I'm concentrating on re-working the rest of my studio, and will be jumping hard on Vermeer & the x670 mobos, when they hit. (Even if there's early price-gouging.) - And even if I have to use a lesser mobo as a stop-gap.

FWIW, there may STILL no full TB3 integration with the x670, (this appears to be the going opinion) but the 670 should wipe out all compromises, anyway. (More lanes, more speed, more more more.... )

Fingers crossed for October.

Last edited by speerchucker; 13th August 2020 at 05:37 AM..
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
nope, but the USB chipset an all x570 boards are made by asmedia and some interfaces don't "like" them (e.g. RME), you could try an additional PCIe card with an alternative USB chipset, I used to work with a Fresco Logic one (btw for sale in the EU as I switched to Thunderbolt)
I don't see how that's possible, Mark.
OK, I don't actually know, but I DO know that the Asmedia USB 3.1 controller uses 2 chipset lanes.

i also know that the Asrock X570 ITX mobo has two of its high speed USB ports connected directly to cpu lanes. (See the block diagram) So... either there's no controller at all (if that's even possible) or maybe it's a DIFFERENT controller.
I dunno. - but it CAN'T be the Asmedia.

I tell ya', this stuff really makes my head hurt .....
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

So....the Titan ridge rev 2.

I finally received that and got it in - the hardware anyway.

Drivers won't load for some reason. I realized that TB3 needed to be enabled in the bios (TB3 GPIO or something like that). So I go to do that but it won't stay enabled. Every time I made that change, it would revert. I finally saved and closed before allowing it to revert back and now, my monitors boot to black. I'd have that happen occasionally before this but it was nothing more than a nuisance and what I thought was a Motu express 128 driver conflict. But now, nothing but black screens.

Also, this titan ridge rev 2 comes with two mini display to display port cables. Are they necessary for my application?

Thanks all.
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Went back into bios and TB GPiO force power is still disabled. Still black screen
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redddog View Post
So....the Titan ridge rev 2.

I finally received that and got it in - the hardware anyway.

Drivers won't load for some reason. I realized that TB3 needed to be enabled in the bios (TB3 GPIO or something like that). So I go to do that but it won't stay enabled. Every time I made that change, it would revert. I finally saved and closed before allowing it to revert back and now, my monitors boot to black. I'd have that happen occasionally before this but it was nothing more than a nuisance and what I thought was a Motu express 128 driver conflict. But now, nothing but black screens.

Also, this titan ridge rev 2 comes with two mini display to display port cables. Are they necessary for my application?

Thanks all.
Are you trying to connect the graphic card to the GC-TITAN RIDGE 2.0 add-in card? If so follow these steps:

If you are not trying to connect graphic card to thunderbolt card I'm pretty sure the only thing you have to do in bios is to update to latest bios and enable thunderbolt. And turn off security on thunderbolt. You have to follow the manual very closely when installing the thunderbolt card. When you should install driver and so on. So do this:

1) Update to latest bios, F6. Then enable thunderbolt and turn off security in bios.
(Also be sure the pcie port you use is enabled for thunderbolt. Support by PCH PCIe x4 slot only)).

Also I found this information on the Z390 chipset:
Quote:
I found the 'fix'. Under the TB3 entry in the BIOS turn on GPIO3 force power affect. Once I enabled this and rebooted TB3 is now recognized. Keep this in mind for those who want to install a TB3 add on card.

Do the changes in video and save exit from bios.

2) Install Thunderbolt Driver 1‎.41.890.0
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...er-thunderbolt

3) Then install Thunderbolt FW Update Tool
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...ort-dl-utility
Old 13th August 2020
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by speerchucker View Post
I don't see how that's possible, Mark.
OK, I don't actually know, but I DO know that the Asmedia USB 3.1 controller uses 2 chipset lanes.

i also know that the Asrock X570 ITX mobo has two of its high speed USB ports connected directly to cpu lanes. (See the block diagram) So... either there's no controller at all (if that's even possible) or maybe it's a DIFFERENT controller.
I dunno. - but it CAN'T be the Asmedia.

I tell ya', this stuff really makes my head hurt .....
I have to correct myself, the controllers are not "made" by ASmedia, but AMD licensed the IP from Asmedia (source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/14406...pcie-4-is-here ). The x570 chipset is the first one developed by AMD themselves and it's basically a dumbed down cpu into which they integrated lots of licensed stuff (Wifi from Intel, USB from Asmedia, Thunderbolt from Intel, NIC from Aquantia), that's pretty common for all (Apple, Intel, AMD)
Cheers, Markus
Old 13th August 2020
Here for the gear

HELP with new PC build please!

Hey all

I'm so very new at this so sorry if I've posted in the wrong thread, hope you will let me know if so!

I got a new PC built for my setup which will be very basic to start with (Ableton live 9, few peripherals, pioneer decks), I will attach the specs in a photo.

But for reasons I'm too traumatised to go into right now, I'm off this PC like an ex boyfriend. It's not even a month old.

I've been offered a straight swap (with added o/s etc) for another new build, completely different system, spec overkill, but I'm tempted cos I'm impulsive like that and want a do over

I spent $2k AUD on mine and basic specs are

i7 9700k
16gb ram
500gb m.2 sad
1tb sata sad

Proposed swap system is basically a server build atm but can be modified

2 x E5-2620 v2 Intel XEON processor (12 core)
128gb RAM (Yes, 128)
120gb SSD

Pics attached

My questions being

1) is this a suitable system for DAW processing and what if any would be potential drawbacks

2) is this a good swap or am I missing something lol

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
The "today we build our studio pc" thread-20200814_005257.jpg   The "today we build our studio pc" thread-screenshot_20200814-002500_facebook.jpg   The "today we build our studio pc" thread-screenshot_20200814-002507_facebook.jpg  
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
AMD vs Intel: https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-a...el-cpus-tested

re performance on the z97a: could be, the DMI link on Intel boards is limited

RME takes USB to the next level, that's why they don't necessarily need TB to achieve very low latency (see TAFKAT's DAW /latency thread). Downside though is, that the USB controller and its drivers need to play along. The manual actually mentions ASmedia controller as "not recommended"
Here's a couple of threads from the RME forum talking about the issue:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic...145380#p145380
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30331 (On an Intel board, because they also use ASmedia chips for additional ports on those)
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30802
They were also problems on Macs with ASmedia controllers, which RME fixed with a fw update
Thanks!!
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Ray12 View Post
Hey all

I'm so very new at this so sorry if I've posted in the wrong thread, hope you will let me know if so!

I got a new PC built for my setup which will be very basic to start with (Ableton live 9, few peripherals, pioneer decks), I will attach the specs in a photo.

But for reasons I'm too traumatised to go into right now, I'm off this PC like an ex boyfriend. It's not even a month old.

I've been offered a straight swap (with added o/s etc) for another new build, completely different system, spec overkill, but I'm tempted cos I'm impulsive like that and want a do over

I spent $2k AUD on mine and basic specs are

i7 9700k
16gb ram
500gb m.2 sad
1tb sata sad

Proposed swap system is basically a server build atm but can be modified

2 x E5-2620 v2 Intel XEON processor (12 core)
128gb RAM (Yes, 128)
120gb SSD

Pics attached

My questions being

1) is this a suitable system for DAW processing and what if any would be potential drawbacks

Thanks in advance!
Thats not a good deal. Those xeon processors are available for $22.98 on Amazon in very good condition. The 9700k is going for $310 on ebay used. The xeons run at 2.1 to 2.6 ghz, the 9700k 3.6 ro 4.9 ghz. So the 9700k is worth nearly 8x more money than the xeons, and is nearly 2x faster. Plus the xeons are from 2013, nearly 8 years old. And its been used all that time.

The ram is ddr3. Ddr4 is nearing the end of its life span, so in a year or so you'd be using roughly 15 year old ram technology.

the ssd is not m.2, so its anywhere from 2x to 5x slower than yours. Also its capicity is too small for anything but running programs, so you'd need to add an audio drive.

This is an awful bad deal for you. Your best bet is to sell your whole PC, or the cpu and motherboard, and swap in something different. If you want out of the entire pc, sell it for cash. Since people are still buying 9700s new, you could lose as little as 5-10%.

Your system is much more valuable than the xeon system. Not to mention the wear and tear on a system nearing 8 years old.
Old 13th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thats not a good deal. Those xeon processors are available for $22.98 on Amazon in very good condition. The 9700k is going for $310 on ebay used. The xeons run at 2.1 to 2.6 ghz, the 9700k 3.6 ro 4.9 ghz. So the 9700k is worth nearly 8x more money than the xeons, and is nearly 2x faster. Plus the xeons are from 2013, nearly 8 years old. And its been used all that time.

The ram is ddr3. Ddr4 is nearing the end of its life span, so in a year or so you'd be using roughly 15 year old ram technology.

the ssd is not m.2, so its anywhere from 2x to 5x slower than yours. Also its capicity is too small for anything but running programs, so you'd need to add an audio drive.

This is an awful bad deal for you. Your best bet is to sell your whole PC, or the cpu and motherboard, and swap in something different. If you want out of the entire pc, sell it for cash. Since people are still buying 9700s new, you could lose as little as 5-10%.

Your system is much more valuable than the xeon system. Not to mention the wear and tear on a system nearing 8 years old.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond so informatively

I'm glad I reached out, i really appreciate your help!!
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond so informatively

I'm glad I reached out, i really appreciate your help!!
Glad to help, best of luck!
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Ryzen 3000x and Intel 10th gen test data

The Sound on Sound article is here:

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-a...el-cpus-tested

DSP Test Chart:

https://dt7v1i9vyp3mf.cloudfront.net...lQ.vZToBZg.jpg

VSTi Test Chart:

https://dt7v1i9vyp3mf.cloudfront.net...ktAKFb6was.jpg

Thanks to Markus for intially posting the article!
Attached Thumbnails
The "today we build our studio pc" thread-core_wars_03-8j2iynzy_aehzgioqjk5_xlb0sfkvch8.jpg   The "today we build our studio pc" thread-core_wars_02-cextm9pmc2nsfoub8pldmc9.kpxfh.gq.jpg  
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by speerchucker View Post
Massive respect for RME's drivers, of course. Sadly, not as much respect for the sound of their converters.
(Good, but not great.)
I'm pretty sure they've corrected that in recent interfaces after years of attacks by the likes of Black Lion Audio and Revive Audio, who modded lots of RME units. Let me put it this way: in 20 years, I've never read word one questioning Lynx converters, but RME converters have not been criticism-free. But I don't believe Black Lion or Revive are selling any mods for recent RME offerings.
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

My questions being

Australia is a hot place and the MSI b365m pro has weak VRM and it does not have heat sinks...

The case(Thermaltake Versa H17) only has 1 FAN?
I suspect that even with air conditioner you will have temperature problems...

IF the CPU or the motherboard VRM is overheating, they will throttle down...
With the free HWiNFO64 https://www.hwinfo.com/files/hwi_628.zip
verify the CPU and motherboard(VRM) temperatures and if the they are throttling down...

If you have temperature problems, add two ARCTIC F14 PWM PST CO 74 CFM 140 mm Fan to the case
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/...an-acfan00080a

If the VRM still throttling, change to a better motherboard
Asus ROG STRIX B365-G GAMING Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/...-b365-g-gaming
It is a wayyy better motherboard and look, the better VRM also have heat sinks...

IF the CPU still too hot, change the CPU cooler
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/...oler-scnj-5000

This will generate more heat, but Ableton will like...
Set Windows Power Plan to "Ultimate"
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html
And also do this

Quote:
As Mr. Kyle P. Gushue already mentioned, the XEON system is a pice of crap...
Old 13th August 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
Australia is a hot place and the MSI b365m pro has weak VRM and it does not have heat ]

The case(Thermaltake Versa H17) only has 1 FAN?
I suspect that even with air conditioner you will have temperature problems...

IF the CPU or the motherboard VRM is overheating, they will throttle down...
With the free HWiNFO64 https://www.hwinfo.com/files/hwi_628.zip
verify the CPU and motherboard(VRM) temperatures and if the they

If you have temperature problems, add two ARCTIC F14 PWM PST CO 74 CFM 140 mm Fan to the

If the VRM still throttling, change to a better motherboard
Asus ROG STRIX B365-G GAMING Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/...-b365-g-gaming
It is a wayyy better motherboard and look, the better VRM also have heat sinks...

IF the CPU still too hot, change the CPU cooler
https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/...oler-scnj-5000

This will generate more heat, but Ableton will like...
Set Windows Power Plan to "Ultimate"
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html
And also do this

As Mr. Kyle P. Gushue already mentioned, the XEON system is a pice of crap...

Thanks Pictus!!

Couldn't agree more about the motherboard, for so many reasons, it's caused issue after issue, will definitely be looking at swapping it out.
Thanks for the suggestion, and for your detailed explanations!

I'm blown away by the support here thanks yall
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskeladden View Post
Are you trying to connect the graphic card to the GC-TITAN RIDGE 2.0 add-in card? If so follow these steps:

If you are not trying to connect graphic card to thunderbolt card I'm pretty sure the only thing you have to do in bios is to update to latest bios and enable thunderbolt. And turn off security on thunderbolt. You have to follow the manual very closely when installing the thunderbolt card. When you should install driver and so on. So do this:

1) Update to latest bios, F6. Then enable thunderbolt and turn off security in bios.
(Also be sure the pcie port you use is enabled for thunderbolt. Support by PCH PCIe x4 slot only)).

Also I found this information on the Z390 chipset:

Do the changes in video and save exit from bios.

2) Install Thunderbolt Driver 1‎.41.890.0
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...er-thunderbolt

3) Then install Thunderbolt FW Update Tool
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...ort-dl-utility
Thanks Daskeladden!!! I'll get to work on this and report back.

As far as the Displayport to mini thing? I only pland on using one of the Thunderbolt connectors on the card. My monitors are connected to the internal graphics in the motherboard. I'm still not exactly sure what those mini display cables allow one to do and why they would do it.

lastly, Gigabyte has that Thunderbolt card pictured in a different slot IN THEIR MANUAL. I can't believe that.

Last edited by redddog; 13th August 2020 at 09:28 PM..
Old 13th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redddog View Post
Thanks Daskeladden!!! I'll get to work on this and report back.

As far as the Displayport to mini thing? I only pland on using one of the Thunderbolt connectors on the card. My monitors are connected to the internal graphics in the motherboard. I'm still not exactly sure what those mini display cables allow one to do and why they would do it.

lastly, Gigabyte has that Thunderbolt card pictured in a different slot IN THEIR MANUAL. I can't believe that.
You don't have to worry about display ports if you gonna use your internal graphic. That is only if you want to connect a external graphic card to the thunderbolt card. That picture from Gigabyte is probably an old picture that is not the Titan ridge rev 02 for Z490. In the Thunderbolt manual it clearly says PCIe x4:

That picture is not from a Z490 motherboard. Just to illustrate. I agree pretty stupid to use a picture that can create confusion.

Just follow the 3 steps I said and I'm pretty sure you would get it working. Maybe you don't have to do the GPIO3 force power affect change in bios, but just try without first and if it does not work enable GPIO3 force power affect
Old 14th August 2020
It looks like I need to build a new DAW PC, but my current job/family life does not afford me the free time I used to have to do all the necessary research. I would really appreciate recommendations for an Intel-based combo of the following:
  • Processor
  • Motherboard
  • Cooling solution
  • RAM (32GB planned)

Why Intel? Well... let's just say my employer wouldn't be too pleased if they learned I bought an AMD product. But I don't care between Core vs. Xeon; open to either. (I can get the i9-9900 at an excellent price, but I don't want price to be the only consideration.)

While the above items are the ones I'm most concerned about, since it's been 5 years since I've shopped for this stuff, I'm also open to tips on the following:
  • graphics cards (all i want is quiet + 2 HDMI outputs)
  • cases (want quiet + easy to maintain; minimal screws, removable drive bays, etc)
  • power supply (quiet + modular cabling)

My interface is an original RME FireFace UFX (currently using as a FireWire device on a Rosewill PCIe FW card), but it works fine on USB2 if FW is not a workable option.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateOutsider View Post
It looks like I need to build a new DAW PC, but my current job/family life does not afford me the free time I used to have to do all the necessary research. I would really appreciate recommendations for an Intel-based combo of the following:
  • Processor
  • Motherboard
  • Cooling solution
  • RAM (32GB planned)

Why Intel? Well... let's just say my employer wouldn't be too pleased if they learned I bought an AMD product. But I don't care between Core vs. Xeon; open to either. (I can get the i9-9900 at an excellent price, but I don't want price to be the only consideration.)

While the above items are the ones I'm most concerned about, since it's been 5 years since I've shopped for this stuff, I'm also open to tips on the following:
  • graphics cards (all i want is quiet + 2 HDMI outputs)
  • cases (want quiet + easy to maintain; minimal screws, removable drive bays, etc)
  • power supply (quiet + modular cabling)

My interface is an original RME FireFace UFX (currently using as a FireWire device on a Rosewill PCIe FW card), but it works fine on USB2 if FW is not a workable option.
The 9900k is a decent choice for moderate all around daw work. The 10900 would be my choice instead of 9900k. The 10940x is fairly close to the 10980xe, so unless max performance is required it seems to be better bang for the buck.

Without knowing budget or your requirements for power, the 10900k seems to be a safe bet for all around general daw work.

Ram with intel is pretty forgiving, any 3200 or 3600 mhz should work as expected. Some pluggins like fabfilter show a pretty significant boost in pluggin count with ultra fast ram. Something like 20% more instances if memory serves me correct.

For cooling noctua seems to br giving good quiet results for people. Liquid cooling will serve the hotter running 10th gen stuff better if you want to push them to their max.

I think the corsair rmx is a solid all around psu.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

FYI--my network storage server was making a ticking sound. I presumed one of the fans was failing. After checking different things, I concluded it was sort of the whole case that was ticking, not a fan. So, I added another screw to the hdd trays and that seems to have taken care of it. Were it not for hte covid fan shortage, I would have simply ordered a new cpu fan... Always new things to learn.

Of course if a wire touches a fan, gonna be hella noise, and that should be resolved quickly--we don't want to find out what happens if the cpu fan stops spinning. That's why I use lots of zip ties when I do a new build.
Old 14th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateOutsider View Post

[*]Processor
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/yhx...-bx8070110700k

Quote:
[*]Motherboard
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZJ2...ming-edge-wifi
Quote:
[*]Cooling solution
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4vz...u-cooler-nhd15
or
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/xCL...-cooler-nhd15s

Quote:
[*]RAM (32GB planned)
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/me...sort=price&h=1
Quote:

[*]graphics cards (all i want is quiet + 2 HDMI outputs)
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/pbN...gv-n1650oc-4gd

Quote:
[*]cases (want quiet + easy to maintain; minimal screws, removable drive bays, etc)

Quote:
[*]power supply (quiet + modular cabling)
For PSU and other stuff check here.

So at the end something +- like this if the case satisfies...
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NZCvPn
📝 Reply