The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The "today we build our studio pc" thread
Old 15th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylesforfree View Post
What motherboard did you end up going with?
MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PLUS.
https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-Z390-GAMING-PLUS
No need for TB on this build, it is a really nice board for the $$$. For TB I use Gigabyte.

G
Old 16th January 2020
Gear Head
Hello Everyone,

I have some problem to fix meybe some of U are more experienced in this area.

Moved from some old i7 to TR 1950X .... and it was wrong decision. Latency impooved a lot and i felt into big pain in the ass.
Mostly because its working for some time ok but then pops, clicks happen.
I tested, changed everything i could and it looks like it is because of this foking amd architecture.

So what i have done, i made order for 9900K and motherboard. Now i see that some of U recommend the new Amd 3 series like 3900 etc. when looking into DawBench etc. it looks promising. As i am going to reinstall all of the **** again considering to meybe take some 3XXX amd instead of 9900k ?

I am using USB audio interface, also few USB synths etc. and looking for best perfomance without any drops etc.

Any advice is welcome!

Thank U.
Old 16th January 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileon View Post
Hello Everyone,

Moved from some old i7 to TR 1950X .... and it was wrong decision. Latency impooved a lot and i felt into big pain in the ass.
I tested, changed everything i could and it looks like it is because of this foking amd architecture.

So what i have done, i made order for 9900K and motherboard. Now i see that some of U recommend the new Amd 3 series like 3900 etc. when looking into DawBench etc. it looks promising. As i am going to reinstall all of the **** again considering to meybe take some 3XXX amd instead of 9900k ?

I am using USB audio interface, also few USB synths etc. and looking for best perfomance without any drops etc.

Any advice is welcome!

Thank U.
At the moment. I would go with 9900k because you get plenty of cores and great single core performance. Also i have always felt Intel to be more realiable on a Music system. Just my 2c
Old 16th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galileon View Post
Hello Everyone,

Any advice is welcome!

Thank U.
Scan Pro audio did benchmarking that included the 1950x, with an rme babyface, and they never mentioned that the 1950x was unusable based on its architecture. They also did an entire write up on first gen TR.

These benchmarks show the 1950x and 9900k. TR well ahead in pluggin count, 9900k well ahead in vsti.

http://www.scanproaudio.info/2018/10...-lake-refresh/

Watever you choose, the issue is likely not with the 1950x, its elsewhere.
Old 17th January 2020
Here for the gear

Hey guys! I wrote back in April 2019 about me planning to upgrade my very old Windows laptop and that I was thinking of going the AMD route. Now that their Ryzen 3000 series processors are out could you maybe help me out with the build?

Just a bit of info, I don't have any thunderbolt devices and I am not planning on owing one in the foreseeable future. Also, since I am going to transition from laptop to desktop, I will need a monitor. Eye health is very important for me as my eyes get tired fairly easily + I would also be interested in a dedicated GPU either from AMD or Nvidia (whatever offers the most value although I am reading that Nvidia drivers might cause some issues). Hope I am not asking too much... Thanks!
Old 17th January 2020
Gear Nut

Question about setting up CPU....

I built the now popular Gigabyte z390 Designare with the i9 9900k and all the other good stuff to make it run. Noctua cooler, 3200DDR 750 watt PS..good recommended components
It's a slick machine, runs great, and I want it to last.

So I've been looking into how to best set up the processor to get stable high performance mixing. I don't use too many vsti's. Mix of UAD and the best of native, not counting Acoustica...don't want to go there.

I've done all the typical tweaking in the OS and cstate stuff in BIOS and followed some OC'ing guides.....but what I want to know is if it's better to say lock all cores at something like 4.8Ghz or let Turbo Boost do it's thing to give me the occasioanal 5ghz on one or two cores when needed. I don't think I want to stress the CPU by locking all cores at 5Ghz when I probably won't need that much power all the time. I'd rather not have the CPU under the constant stress of heat.

Any tips on setting the BIOS on this board and CPU?

Thanks for any help and insight......
Old 18th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Hi guys, wondering about power supply units.

I've got my machine running reasonably well with latency, but since adding a video card, the power supply has been straining a bit and making some vibration noise. I think the vid card was an AMD 580 or 590 perhaps. I don't even know what power supply is in there, but probably it's working a bit too hard now.

Any power supply recommendations that are efficient and quiet. Was thinking in the 650-750W range?
Old 18th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Goon View Post

I've got my machine running reasonably well with latency, but since adding a video card, the power supply has been straining a bit and making some vibration noise. I think the vid card was an AMD 580 or 590 perhaps. I don't even know what power supply is in there, but probably it's working a bit too hard now.

Any power supply recommendations that are efficient and quiet. Was thinking in the 650-750W range?
Thr corsair rmx 2018 series has a good reputation. That's what i got for my 3 pc master slave system.
Old 18th January 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau777 View Post

I built the now popular Gigabyte z390 Designare with the i9 9900k and all the other good stuff to make it run. Noctua cooler, 3200DDR 750 watt PS..good recommended components

So I've been looking into how to best set up the processor to get stable high performance mixing. I don't use too many vsti's. Mix of UAD and the best of native, not counting Acoustica...don't want to go there.

I've done all the typical tweaking in the OS and cstate stuff in BIOS and followed some OC'ing guides.....but what I want to know is if it's better to say lock all cores at something like 4.8Ghz or let Turbo Boost do it's thing to give me the occasioanal 5ghz on one or two cores when needed. I don't think I want to stress the CPU by locking all cores at 5Ghz when I probably won't need that much power all the time. I'd rather not have the CPU under the constant stress of heat.

Running the same setup with all cores locked at 4.8, running Cubase with VST’s and plugs. Watching my temps, I generally don’t exceed 60 degrees at load, with averages in the 40’s. Definitely not worried about it with these temps. I’ll probably bump all cores to 5.0 to see what impact it has on temps.
Old 18th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:

Following....
Old 18th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Goon View Post

I just got a seasonic focus gold semi-modular--ran about $100. My view is to spend at least $100 on a power supply. Can get cheaper, but I am buying some peace of mind with a premium unit. Reading reviews and amazon feedback, the seasonic was well liked.

I see the corsair rmx 2018 is very well liked on amazon--around 100 clams as well...
Old 18th January 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by strojo View Post
Running the same setup with all cores locked at 4.8, running Cubase with VST’s and plugs. Watching my temps, I generally don’t exceed 60 degrees at load, with averages in the 40’s. Definitely not worried about it with these temps. I’ll probably bump all cores to 5.0 to see what impact it has on temps.
Running Cinebench R15 I got about the same temps locked at 4.8Ghz.

So what is a safe temp long term?
Old 18th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agondonter View Post
Hey guys! I wrote back in April 2019 about me planning to upgrade my very old Windows laptop and that I was thinking of going the AMD route. Now that their Ryzen 3000 series processors are out could you maybe help me out with the build?
You want to "Toss a Coin to Your Witcher", then
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/NMH3mg

You may want a Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM CD-KEY
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-page...r-29-82,1.html

BTW, instead of the Samsung S34J55W
https://www.displayninja.com/samsung-s34j55w-review/
The
https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-q3279vwf/
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/...nitor-q3279vwf
or
https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-q3279vwfd8/
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/...tor-q3279vwfd8
will be easier for the eyes...
Old 18th January 2020
Gear Head
Quote:
Running Cinebench R15 I got about the same temps locked at 4.8Ghz.

So what is a safe temp long term?
Given Intel is selling the 9900ks model that can do 5.0ghz on all cores out of the box, I’m going with the approach that if I can get my processor to OC to that, whatever temps I can sustain with stable performance should be ok (thinking anything less than 60-70 at sustained realworld temps, not synthetics like Cinebench). I monitor that with HWINFO.
Old 18th January 2020
Here for the gear

Thanks a bunch, Pictus! You were so helpful back in April and now!

Since I cannot actually build the pc myself, I am going to order it already put together. Can you check if I selected all the right components here? I couldn't find any 32 GB RAMS so I opted for 4x16 GB...

By the way, I haven't yet added any monitor in the build hence the lower price...

Cheers
Old 18th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks a bunch, Pictus! You were so helpful back in April and now!

Since I cannot actually build the pc myself, I am going to order it already put together. Can you check if I selected all the right components here? I couldn't find any 32 GB RAMS so I opted for 4x16 GB...
You are welcome, why pay €149,90 for Windows?
Check this https://www.guru3d.com/articles-page...r-29-82,1.html

When the PC is ready, you will get yourself or it will be through delivery service?
If it is not you or the guys who built, have to change the Noctua cooler for this
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/...-cw-9060031-ww
The Noctua is very heavy and can damage the motherboard socket during
transport, special care is needed, can not drop the PC box...
Old 18th January 2020
Gear Nut
Just finished my new system.

It’s a NUC8I5BEH 32 gb ram 1tb ssd. I build it into an Akasa Turing case for silent operation. It has two interfaces connected: a Apogee Duet 2 over usb and an UAD Apollo Twin X over thunderbolt.

Initially I bought an NUC8I7BEH and a NUC8I5BEH to compare but after some performance testing in ableton I came to the conclusion that the I7 was overkill and got a lot hotter at same fan speeds. For the Akasa as it is passive , I wanted the coolest CPU.

As of the performance difference, it is really minimal in a DAW usecase. For example I could run 55 cs-80 3 voice chords at 48khz/64 buffer on the I5 and 62 on the I7 without dropouts. In real life my projects will never come near to what the I5 can handle. Temperatures where about 15-20C less on stock cooling on the I5 compared to the I7 so I decided to build the I5 into the Akasa. Another thing worth noting is that the i7 suffered from coil whine quite a bit while on the I5 it’s only a bit noticable with your ears close to the case.
Now the Akasa does a great job cooling wise. Far better then stock. When I run 30 cs-80 ‘s at 48khz/64 buffer it will run at 45c which is really nice.
At 96khz/128 buffer still 30 3 voice cs-80 will run very smooth. Temperature will max out at 59c after one hour of full wattage.

I initially installed windows 10 but the performance in ableton 10 with my apollo twin x was terrible (I did a 20 step OS tuning which I saw on youtube with minimal benefit). The install process of the uad gave several errors but in the end it kind of worked. Im used to working on a macbook pro and this experience was far better. No errors and a lot better performance on a 6 year older computer.
So I decided to make a clover usb boot drive and installed Catalina on the NUC. Performance and stability is really way beyond what it is on Windows 10. It could be that windows 10 could be better tuned by someone more knowledgeable , but it’s a huge difference in my opinion.
But I noticed the overall latency on my uad twin x was not as good as on my Mojave MBP system. So I installed Mojave on the Nuc and yes the overall latency is quite a bit better on Mojave (mainly input latency, output latency is near identical on catalina). Probably this has something to do with the UAD drivers not optimized for Catalina yet, but for now I will stay on mojave.

Actually I initially bought an I7 mac mini 2018 but I really got mad from the coil whine it produced so I returned that one.

I know it’s a bit of a controversy to run macos on the NUC , but I’m a apple fan and have an IPad Pro, Iphone and macbook pro so it’s not to cheap out. It’s just that I7 mini was to noisy with its coil whine that I decided to build a silent one. Initially tried windows 10 but that was a deception performance wise.

Very happy with this new fast and fully silent compact music machine. It’s running super stable. Only thing that does not work is tb3 hotswap (no need for that for me) and I had to get a wifi dongle as the akasa did not have antennas included.

If you want to use a silent case you will benefit from the i5 far more as it will run very cool and as a bonus it has virtually no audible coil whine. Performance wise the difference is really minimal compared to the i7 nuc.
Old 19th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijs79 View Post

I initially installed windows 10 but the performance in ableton 10 with my apollo twin x was terrible (I did a 20 step OS tuning which I saw on youtube with minimal benefit). The install process of the uad gave several errors but in the end it kind of worked. Im used to working on a macbook pro and this experience was far better. No errors and a lot better performance on a 6 year older computer.
You would probably have a better experience with Windows on a desktop build. Even though NUC8I5BEH 32 gb ram should be enough to run Windows, thunderbolt and a DAW. I'm skeptical to mini-pc's as a workstation especially regarding overheating and bottle-necking. Ableton/Windows works excellent on my system.
Old 19th January 2020
Gear Nut
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskeladden View Post
You would probably have a better experience with Windows on a desktop build. Even though NUC8I5BEH 32 gb ram should be enough to run Windows, thunderbolt and a DAW. I'm skeptical to mini-pc's as a workstation especially regarding overheating and bottle-necking. Ableton/Windows works excellent on my system.

Actually my wish was for a small compact system like the mini I had for a week as opposed to a full size desktop system. This one covers all my needs performance wise. On macOS this baby runs super stable (no dropouts on low buffer for my projects) and the akasa passive case does an excellent job to keep it nicely cooled. In fact cooler than any mac I had before. On max power stress test the cpu does not go above 60c which is well below the 100c max. Most of my projects the temp is below 45c on 48khz/128 buffer. It does not throttle down and stay at max full ghz for hours in tests. The i7 , though it stayed under 85c in the stock case , did throttle down from it max speed quite fast and in the end was about at the same max clock as the i5.

I think too it must be possible to get it running nice on windows 10 as well since its performance is fine, but i could not get it near as stable as on catalina or mojave and with far less plugin count. This might have to do with the uad drivers on windows though (I read a lot of stability issues with uad/windows combinations) and some OS tweaks that i don’t know off. I was not able to test it with the duet as that interface has no windows drivers. Also I read somewhere that it could have something to do with c-state management in windows. I won’t put anymore effort in it as it is running great in mojave/catalina.

For the ease of build, passive compact case and cost this is a very nice system if someone is considering using a nuc as a music system. Of course a full desktop will give you more options and more performance when combined with a better cpu, but in my case I just use virtual instruments and record my Analog synths/vocals with fx plugins. I’m pretty sure I won’t hit the limitation border of this system anytime soon with the current plugins I use.
Old 19th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
I just got a seasonic focus gold semi-modular--ran about $100. My view is to spend at least $100 on a power supply. Can get cheaper, but I am buying some peace of mind with a premium unit. Reading reviews and amazon feedback, the seasonic was well liked.

I see the corsair rmx 2018 is very well liked on amazon--around 100 clams as well...
I *think* the AX and Rmx non-digital models are made by seasonic. To me a psu is no place to skimp. As you said some peace of mind. Its a goos sign when a product has a 10 year warranty!
Old 20th January 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
You are welcome, why pay €149,90 for Windows?
Check this https://www.guru3d.com/articles-page...r-29-82,1.html

When the PC is ready, you will get yourself or it will be through delivery service?
If it is not you or the guys who built, have to change the Noctua cooler for this
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/...-cw-9060031-ww
The Noctua is very heavy and can damage the motherboard socket during
transport, special care is needed, can not drop the PC box...
You just saved me €149,90! I had bought a key of Windows 10 PRO last April from them in anticipation of my the new pc and had forgotten all about it.

I didn't think of the transportation issue. There is a possibility that I move back to my homeland this year (2250 km/1400 miles distance). Do you think I will have any problems with transporting the pc?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I didn't think of the transportation issue. There is a possibility that I move back to my homeland this year (2250 km/1400 miles distance). Do you think I will have any problems with transporting the pc?
Careful transport is not a problem, what can not happen is drop the box/case
during transport...
For safety, remove the heavy Noctua cooler before shipping.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by strojo View Post
Given Intel is selling the 9900ks model that can do 5.0ghz on all cores out of the box, I’m going with the approach that if I can get my processor to OC to that, whatever temps I can sustain with stable performance should be ok (thinking anything less than 60-70 at sustained realworld temps, not synthetics like Cinebench). I monitor that with HWINFO.
The TJMax on that CPU is 100°C. Conventional OC wisdom says temps at and above 80°C can be problematic. For me... 70°C to 75°C is fine. Any peaks beyond 75°C I would dial it back a bit.

Last edited by J_O_P; 4 weeks ago at 07:18 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue View Post
I *think* the AX and Rmx non-digital models are made by seasonic. To me a psu is no place to skimp. As you said some peace of mind. Its a goos sign when a product has a 10 year warranty!
Just the AX series is made by Seasonic afaik (RMX made by CWT) , which are the ones I've always used, been absolutely rock solid for me.

A power supply is the life blood of your entire system, so you want the lowest ripples and best delivery of power to everything that you can imho. Not once has the fan ever spun on my AX750, it never needed to!

It's worth spending a lot, so I'd highly recommend the Corsair AX series made by Seasonic, or a Seasonic PSU itself.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun View Post
Just the AX series is made by Seasonic afaik (RMX made by CWT) , which are the ones I've always used, been absolutely rock solid for me.

A power supply is the life blood of your entire system, so you want the lowest ripples and best delivery of power to everything that you can imho. Not once has the fan ever spun on my AX750, it never needed to!

It's worth spending a lot, so I'd highly recommend the Corsair AX series made by Seasonic, or a Seasonic PSU itself.
Good to know. According to this the HX650 model is seasonic as well as several AX. None of the rmx are seasonic.

https://www.orionpsudb.com/corsair

Last edited by Kyle P. Gushue; 4 weeks ago at 07:40 AM.. Reason: Added link
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinematree View Post
Does any one know how crucial it is for memory to exactly match the list of memory models listed for your motherboard by the manufacturer? I have 4 sticks (8mb each) of Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz 1.35V v4.24 memory (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16) from my old computer but the closest model on the ASUS approved list is CMK16GX4M2B3000C15(Ver4.23)( 2x 8GB ) 1.35v.

When I put it in my X299 Deluxe, it seemed to work fine though over time my computer started shutting down and it seemed that removing 2 of the modules would help things. Should I sell the old memory and buy one that is approved? Or if it's DDR4 3200MHz 1.35V, am I overthinking it and the shutting down is likely another issue? I'm not sure if it matters, but I have an i9 7940x and the memory I currently have says "Gen 6 (i5/7) on it".
I wanted to report back that the issue ended up being a software problem with the ASUS WIFI driver in the x299 Prime and Prime Deluxe II motherboards. I started to get the shutdowns again when I upgraded and it was driving me crazy. The issue is discussed here in case anyone else comes across it: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...4-dca300356f13

On another note, with my new Prime Deluxe II (with built-in thunderbolt-C connectors), my Apollo is almost never recognized when I boot up my computer. But if I restart, it's always recognized. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling UAD but I get the same thing. Any ideas?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinematree View Post
I wanted to report back that the issue ended up being a software problem with the ASUS WIFI driver in the x299 Prime and Prime Deluxe II motherboards. I started to get the shutdowns again when I upgraded and it was driving me crazy. The issue is discussed here in case anyone else comes across it: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...4-dca300356f13

On another note, with my new Prime Deluxe II (with built-in thunderbolt-C connectors), my Apollo is almost never recognized when I boot up my computer. But if I restart, it's always recognized. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling UAD but I get the same thing. Any ideas?
I remember this having something to do with BIOS
Pretty sure it's in this thread some where.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:

One more followiing...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Looks like X570 AORUS XTREME (rev. 1.x) now support thunderbolt add in card. X570 AORUS XTREME (rev.1.0) does not support it.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...E-rev-1x/sp#sp
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskeladden View Post
Looks like X570 AORUS XTREME (rev. 1.x) now support thunderbolt add in card. X570 AORUS XTREME (rev1.0) does not support it.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...E-rev-1x/sp#sp
Thanks for the heads up. I hope they add that to the Xtreme.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search