The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The "today we build our studio pc" thread
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

So, what are people doing as far as applying the goo before putting the fan on? I have seen recommendations for stars, spirals, or simply a tiny dot in the middle. The goo is just to fill the microscopic gaps in the metal faces, as the metal to metal contact is the most heat effective. So, this last time I put a dot in the middle assuming it will be plenty once the metal faces are pressed together. In the past I know I have put too much on as it oozes out and gets on the side of the cpu which is a bear to clean out. That goo just wants to get and stay on anything...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_O_P View Post
This is fine.

This is fine too.

The problem with the NH-D14 is that it will block the first PCI-E slot for THAT particular motherboard according to Noctua's website. The NH-D15S will circumvent that.

The Z390 Designare is an E-ATX board, but the P193 will fit it according to the specs. I would keep it.

Unless you were doing complex orchestration with samples and/or 4k video editing (maybe at the same time?) You don't need that much RAM. 2x16 like Pictus suggested would be good. G.Skill and Corsair also make good RAM.

That power supply is well reviewed and comes with a reassuring 10yr warranty. Plus spare cables are easily accessible. It's probably one of the better valued Gold Efficiency PSU out there.

I've used Seagate Barracuda with good results.

That was my first card before I upgraded. There is a driver for it so you should be fine with that.

https://www.siig.com/dp-firewire-800-pcie.html

If you uprgraded from a full retail version for Windows 7, you don't have to. You can install in your new build, call Microsoft, and they will transfer the license to the new build.

This is a tough one... maybe something by Asus or BenQ. This is really one of those "go to the store to check em out" type of situations for me. Sorry.

Any fan from Noctua, Bequiet!, or even Corsair will fit the bill fan wise. Also if you plan on getting the NH-D15S, it will come with thermal paste from Noctua that is actually pretty well reviewed.

Otherwise,
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gelid GC-Extreme
Noctua NT-H1

The Pioneer BDR-2212 Pictus suggested would be a good choice.

Hope you find this helpful!
Thanks a lot mate. Very helpful! Seems based on most comments that I am on the right track here with the basic system, just need to make a few less important calls, I guess.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

New microcode updates on the way for Intel CPUs to patch the latest security vulnerabilities. This time the performance impact for DAW workloads might be little bit higher. At least it is in games. Lets see how this plays out for music computers with Intel CPUs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
If not overclocking you don't need the "k" version do you ?
i9 9900k
Processor Base Frequency
3.60 GHz

Max Turbo Frequency
5.00 GHz

i9 9900
Processor Base Frequency
3.10 GHz

Max Turbo Frequency
5.00 GHz

It's not just unlocked multiplier. I think the K version can turbo boost on more cores at the same time too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
So, what are people doing as far as applying the goo before putting the fan on? I have seen recommendations for stars, spirals, or simply a tiny dot in the middle. The goo is just to fill the microscopic gaps in the metal faces, as the metal to metal contact is the most heat effective. So, this last time I put a dot in the middle assuming it will be plenty once the metal faces are pressed together. In the past I know I have put too much on as it oozes out and gets on the side of the cpu which is a bear to clean out. That goo just wants to get and stay on anything...
I always do the pea size amount in the middle; then equally tighten (or press) the push buttons) diagonally across from each other. I still like artic silver 5 the best. But a lot of guys like MX4 also
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxInABox View Post
New microcode updates on the way for Intel CPUs to patch the latest security vulnerabilities. This time the performance impact for DAW workloads might be little bit higher. At least it is in games. Lets see how this plays out for music computers with Intel CPUs.
man. So I wonder what the overall performance hit is with all the patches together? 1%-2% each? so are we looking at almost 10%-15% now?....sux
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Hey guys,

I would like to start doing some video editing on my music pc.

This is what I have so been using for music only so far:
Asus X99-A/USB 3.1
i7 5820k 6x3.30 GHz
DDR4 32GB (4x8192MB) HyperX Predator
600 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 10 cm Mdular 80+ Gold
Noctua NH-D15 Tower cooler
512 GB Samsung 950 ProM2
4000 GB WD Black 7.2 rpm
SSD 2000 GB Samsung 850 Pro
Radeon RX 550

What would I need to be able to edit in Premiere Pro CC?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundgeezer View Post
Hey guys,

I would like to start doing some video editing on my music pc.

This is what I have so been using for music only so far:
Asus X99-A/USB 3.1
i7 5820k 6x3.30 GHz
DDR4 32GB (4x8192MB) HyperX Predator
600 Watt be quiet! Straight Power 10 cm Mdular 80+ Gold
Noctua NH-D15 Tower cooler
512 GB Samsung 950 ProM2
4000 GB WD Black 7.2 rpm
SSD 2000 GB Samsung 850 Pro
Radeon RX 550

Nothing unless you have some requirements you've not mentioned.

A nicer graphics card might help but that's a perfectly capable machine.

Is there a specific question you have?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I agree. If you're new to editing you should probably visit the Adobe forums related to editing. As far as I know a lot of editing is done using proxy files, meaning that the video files that are difficult for the computer to work with are transcoded into files that are easy to work with, including for your computer. So if the source files are 4k they could get converted down to 720p etc. Then once the edit is done a final render is created from the original files, not from the proxy files.

So that's why a lot of people can cut video with "mediocre" or "old" computers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumbaguk View Post
It's not just unlocked multiplier. I think the K version can turbo boost on more cores at the same time too.
Thank you. DAW PLUS addressed this yesterday.

Good to know.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Thanks Scumbaguk and mattiasnyc!

Great to hear, that my machine good enough to start editing.
Of course, my graphics card is probably not the best for editing, but that advice with proxy files is awesome. Maybe I'll start with proxy files, I could still buy a better card later.

Are there any great tutorials for premiere for beginners?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Are there any great tutorials for premiere for beginners?
I like DaVinci Resolve and Magix Vegas better. Worth checking out, and you don't have to pay Adobe every month
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskeladden View Post
I like DaVinci Resolve and Magix Vegas better. Worth checking out, and you don't have to pay Adobe every month
perhaps if you're not making commercial feature films then the 'Elements' version of premier pro might work for you just fine. It's only about $85 to buy.

they also do a reduced educational price as well if you're at college or a family member is.

I've a few friends using it and it works great for most semi pro stuff.

A few friends have had stability issues with DaVinci and have transferred to premier elements and found it to be a lot more stable. YMMV :D

just a thought.

M
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks daskeladden, I am aware of that and my client will often send me premiere pro projects, so it will be much easier for me to work in the same environement.

I'm looking to get an AMD RX Vega 56. Will this cause any issues with my board and/or for Audio?

thanks again

Last edited by soundgeezer; 3 weeks ago at 05:24 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSwan View Post
Thanks a lot mate. Very helpful! Seems based on most comments that I am on the right track here with the basic system, just need to make a few less important calls, I guess.
You're welcome! One more thing you can do is look into keyboards that allow macro programming. This could help with productivity
in that instead of having to memorize key commands or procedures, you can assign them to a single key to speed up your workflow. They don't have to have individual macro keys. If you find that you don't use your number pad often while using your DAW, you have 17 extra buttons you can use. This can also be applicable MOBA mouse as well. They aren't at all necessary. They are "nice to haves".

Good luck with your build!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
I'm looking to get an AMD RX Vega 56. Will this cause any issues with my board and/or for Audio?

thanks again
Again, if you're strictly editing and are fine working with proxy files then I would definitely try to edit somethin first and only think of buying something new if you feel there's a problem. I think this is especially true if your system is currently working fine for audio and that's what you mainly do.

And if you are going to buy something I'm really wondering if AMD is the right choice. For video cards for editing/grading/vfx it seems to me Nvidia is doing very well, so it's really worth finding a good comparison and take a hard look at the performance-per-dollar... keeping in mind that editing and actual visual effects are two different beasts.

The most frequent reviews and comparisons I've seen are by Puget systems. I do think there may be cases where they miss something but this is always going to be the case. You can check their reviews along with that of some other reviewers. Here's a link to a Premiere-specific review:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...-5700-XT-1564/

It doesn't include the "56" but it does include the "64" along with other relevant cards...

Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffRider View Post
***Heads Up Gigabyte Z390 Designare MOBO owners***
I have succeeded in getting my RME UFX plus to connect via Thunderbolt with my computer with the Gigabyte Designare mother board
In my post #7463 of this thread I mentioned that when I plugged in my UFX plus - that the Thunderbolt "host light" was white in color - indicating that Thunderbolt was apparently available but not connected by the Intel Thunderbolt software because the Intel Thunderbolt software GUI would not open so that the connection process could be completed. I experimented with unplugging the UFX plus thunderbolt connection and the Intel Thunderbolt GUI would then open. Next I plugged in the UFX plus via USB 3 and the Intel Thunderbolt GUI would open then also.
So today I performed my experiment another way. I unplugged the UFX plus and then opened the Intel Thunderbolt GUI - I then connected the UFX plus via Thunderbolt with the Intel Thunderbolt GUI already open. ( I'm not sure if this is safe because I'm not sure if Thunderbolt devices are hot swap-able. ) But this process worked! The Intel GUI showed the RME UFX plus availabe on the port I had plugged it into.
It took some "clicking" but I succeeded in getting it to connect. Then it took a couple of restarts of the computer to get the icon for the "RME Thunderbolt Settings" to appear in the right hand side of the task bar so the I could configure my choices.
But right now I have the RME UFX plus connected via Thunderbolt to a Gigabyte Designare MOBO computer and I am using PreSonus Studio One with RME Thunderbolt.
It just took tricking the Intel Thunderbolt Software...
For those wondering about the Designare z390 / Clarett 4pre Thunderbolt 1 combination, the key was to use the Apple Thunderbolt 3 -> 2 Adapter instead of the Startech one.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

TIME 4 a NEW PC!

Hello everybody!

My PC is strugglin' trying to make it through many instances of Nebula and Acqua Plugins...

Actually I own an I7-4770K, and I'm always at 95-100% of CPU consumption in my Cubase projects.

I'd like to ask a few things:

I would go for an intel i9-9900K (or KS, if I'll find the right offer)
and a Gigabyte Z390 Designare...as many of you.

I have a Coolermaster Silent Pro 700 W 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply (6 y.o.)
and a Corsair liquid cooler for the CPU (I don't remember the name, but I've taken a photo)
with two fans (the model could be something like H80, or H100)
----------------------------------------------
1st Question:
Does these two works for the new CPU?

I have also 1 Samsung nVme Pro 970 512 GB,
2 Samsung SSD Evo 870, 4 other WD HDD's and a DVD-RW.

Do I have to buy a new power supply?
---------------------------------------------

2nd Question:

I also have a Radeon HD7700 GPU...does this in some way affects the overall performance in Cubase? I don't think so...but I think I've read something about the 4k resolution (not my case for the moment) but I don't remember well...I could be totally wrong in this case.
---------------------------------------------
3rd Question:
I'd go for 32 GB of RAM...
Which one???

Thank You Very Much!!!
Attached Thumbnails
The "today we build our studio pc" thread-s-l1600.jpg   The "today we build our studio pc" thread-s-l1600-1-.jpg   The "today we build our studio pc" thread-corsair.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks daskeladden, I am aware of that and my client will often send me premiere pro projects, so it will be much easier for me to work in the same environement.

thanks again
Is there a reason you have an eye on the RX Vega 56 in particular? Unless you are getting a super awesome deal for it and it's one from one the AIB partners (the reference/founder's edition ones are loud,) I don't see it as a worthwhile purchase in 2019/2020 compared to the RX 5000 series which is more current and has fresher technology for around the same price.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

@ DaveHawk75

Brevity due to typing on my phone

1) all hard drives should be compatible

2) graphics card - just make sure it’d be compatible with a new motherboard. They don’t have to be fancy graphics cards to work - just get one that supports the resolution you work at with as many screens as you need

3) ram - make sure it’s the type compatible with your motherboard (eg ddr4). Get as low latency as you can afford. Clock Speed matters less for intel than amd cpus. Maybe at least 2600 ddr4? 3000? Stick with well-reviewed ram - typically a major brand like Corsair, Crucial, etc

Power supply- yes, I recommend a new one given the age of your current one. Keep that as a backup if a new one dies. But a new one isn’t required as long as the current one supports all the plug types you need in a new computer
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

@ DaveHawk75

To complement what was alredy mentioned...

RAM
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/MDY...s2k16g4d32aese

IF want a more efficient and mainly silent cooler, if it fits the case...
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/85...ew/index7.html
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/brV...-cw-9060031-ww

If want a more efficient and mainly silent PSU
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...su,5568-5.html
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/VgQ...-cp-9020180-na
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 View Post
@ DaveHawk75

Brevity due to typing on my phone

1) all hard drives should be compatible

2) graphics card - just make sure it’d be compatible with a new motherboard. They don’t have to be fancy graphics cards to work - just get one that supports the resolution you work at with as many screens as you need

3) ram - make sure it’s the type compatible with your motherboard (eg ddr4). Get as low latency as you can afford. Clock Speed matters less for intel than amd cpus. Maybe at least 2600 ddr4? 3000? Stick with well-reviewed ram - typically a major brand like Corsair, Crucial, etc

Power supply- yes, I recommend a new one given the age of your current one. Keep that as a backup if a new one dies. But a new one isn’t required as long as the current one supports all the plug types you need in a new computer
Many thanks!!!

Could I use the integrated GPU, since I don't use this PC for anything but audio?

Is the Corsair liquid cooler compatibile?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post

Thank you very much, much appriciated!

Do you know if my Corsair cooler Is compatibile with the i9?

Thanx
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHawk75 View Post
Thank you very much, much appreciated!

Do you know if my Corsair cooler Is compatible with the i9?

Thanx
I am glad to help.
Yes it is compatible.

BTW, can use the integrated GPU, but I prefer the AMD GPU.
The Win 10 driver https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/beta...11.2-nov14.exe
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Again, if you're strictly editing and are fine working with proxy files then I would definitely try to edit somethin first and only think of buying something new if you feel there's a problem. I think this is especially true if your system is currently working fine for audio and that's what you mainly do.

And if you are going to buy something I'm really wondering if AMD is the right choice. For video cards for editing/grading/vfx it seems to me Nvidia is doing very well, so it's really worth finding a good comparison and take a hard look at the performance-per-dollar... keeping in mind that editing and actual visual effects are two different beasts.

The most frequent reviews and comparisons I've seen are by Puget systems. I do think there may be cases where they miss something but this is always going to be the case. You can check their reviews along with that of some other reviewers. Here's a link to a Premiere-specific review:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...-5700-XT-1564/

It doesn't include the "56" but it does include the "64" along with other relevant cards...

Interesting, thank you
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_O_P View Post
Is there a reason you have an eye on the RX Vega 56 in particular? Unless you are getting a super awesome deal for it and it's one from one the AIB partners (the reference/founder's edition ones are loud,) I don't see it as a worthwhile purchase in 2019/2020 compared to the RX 5000 series which is more current and has fresher technology for around the same price.

It was a recommendation from a videoeditor friend. But you are right, I guess it would make more sense to go with the RX 5700 for 120 bucks more.

Thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah i agree with this, I wouldn't pay Adobe a monthly fee to learn to edit videos.
Resolve is free and amazing!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Resolve really is amazing and I will be using it too.
Main reason for me is, that I get premiere projects, with builtin effects that I need to use for a client.
Also when rendering still images like for a podcast there is a better quality with premiere e.g. I had a picture with a logo which had black fond on red background and resolve blurred it more than premiere.

I also need After effects and photoshop from time to time so I picked up the 40% off deal on Adobe cloud.

But yeah, I would really prefer working with programs you only have to pay once for ... like we have in the music world

I finally ordered the RX5700. Thank you guys for your kind advice! Happy weekend
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I'll give you a build without giving you a specific equipment list, because that stuff changes prices and availability weekly.

- CASE - Get a big enough case, so you can install the largest, best reviewed passive CPU cooler you can lay your hands on. That'll keep the damned PC quiet.
Buy Lian Li to have the entire case made of aluminum - better heat dissipation.

- Main-board - Use an ATX board to have enough slots to install yet another interface card as things evolve. Use a mainboard designed to be overclocked (usually gaming boards) Components are higher quality, more robust and benefit from extra heat sinks. You also get more connectors on the back panel.

- GPU - Install a cheap GTX 1650 GPU (unless you have some of the rare plugins, that actually get processed by the GPU. The GTX 1650 is Turing architecture, very power and heat efficient, and it'll render your DAW on two 4K monitors and a 1080p touch screen simultaneously, without screen tearing.

- Power Supply - If you don't know anything about power supplies, buy Seasonic - gold or platinum rated. They make an excellent fanless, silent power supply. Totally worth it and totally stable. (Use PCpartspicker website to assemble your list - they will tell you the wattage it will demand). Then you buy the PSU just ~30-40% above that. Platinum rated power supplies have better efficiency between 70 and 90% utilization.

- Harddrives - Install only SSD's into the system - they make no noise, unlike spinning rust. Use external drives for backup, that you only turn on / plug in to back up.

- RAM - Buy RAM to match your processor - especially if you get an AMD CPU. Get 32GB. If money is not an issue, get 64GB.

- CPU - well, there should be some calculation on what you need for how many tracks with x number of FX running. Don't know if anyone bothered. If you don't go too heavy on FX or are willing to write separate tracks where the FX are baked in, any recent i7 (like 8700K) should allow you 32 tracks without issue. Probably more. If you really need more, its Threadripper time, with the attendant more expensive main-board. Note, that some audio interfaces are incompatible with AMD. Double check before you buy!

If you do 24/96KHz audio, your system performance and RAM is cut in half. You may need it if you do TV or Movie work. Definitely Threadripper - like the new high-end ones, recently announced (Nov 2019).

- Audio Interface - For audio in/out, well, install what your mixing console wants. Thunderbolt 3 interfaces would theoretically be nice, but current mixers aren't offering that, and the audio interface vendors charge a ridiculous Thunderbolt tax. I'd buy a higher end studio mixer with interface before spending money here.

So, if you followed this, you have a powerful computer that makes no noise, without having to buy some overly heavy, overly expensive padded "sound proof" computer case. As of 2019, that should be doable for a little over one thousand Euros/Dollars give or take. But if you start upgrading things all around, don't be surprised if you can reach two-thousand just as easily.

You should install one large Noctua Fan in a location, where it will draw air through the passive CPU cooler, in case things do get hot for one reason or another. Just set the fan to normally be off in your mainboard control panel, and only come if there's a heatwave in your studio. r

Monitors? I like 4K TV's for this. Reduces hunting and scrolling. If you sit relatively close, don't go over 40", or you'll get problems from craning your neck.

If you can sit 80cm-100cm from it, maybe because your mixer and a bunch of other stuff is sitting on a desk, go for 50" to 60 inch works pretty good.
At that distance and TV size, you may be able to not use your reading glasses.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by n13L5 View Post
- CPU - well, there should be some calculation on what you need for how many tracks with x number of FX running. Don't know if anyone bothered. If you don't go too heavy on FX or are willing to write separate tracks where the FX are baked in, any recent i7 (like 8700K) should allow you 32 tracks without issue. Probably more. If you really need more, its Threadripper time, with the attendant more expensive main-board.
I disagree. A top-of-the-line Intel CPU would do fine, as would a Ryzen series AMD CPU. And actually, the latest Ryzen 3950X will likely be faster than the fastest Intel CPU if we're looking at this 'class' of CPU/platform. So it should be carefully considered before jumping into either Intel's HEDT or AMD's Threadripper platforms.

If future upgrades are a concern then I'd probably look into AMD x470/x570 chipsets and get something that can take a current or even previous generation CPU first and then also accept the 3950X later, if needed.

The high-end CPUs are mad expensive in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n13L5 View Post
Note, that some audio interfaces are incompatible with AMD. Double check before you buy!
I've never heard of this before. Which interfaces are you talking about?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search