The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The "today we build our studio pc" thread
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You're a damn legend @ Pictus . Always helping people!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskeladden View Post
1) Be sure that Noctua NH-D15 fits in your pc case CHENBRO RM42300-F. Maybe
Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C black without TG is a better choice?
2) The internal Bluetooth on the GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER motherboard is much better than ASUS USB-BT400
3) Consider Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD instead of regular SSD to get the most out of your system
Thanks! The bluetooth was something left in my basket in error. I may change the case. I've always used the rack mount case, but the Fractal is likely quieter, and with this build, the computer may be close to my desk.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
2) The internal Bluetooth on the GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER motherboard is much better than ASUS USB-BT400
3) Consider Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD instead of regular SSD to get the most out of your system
No, Noctua NH-D15 won't fit in a 4U case.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by throbert View Post
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hello @ IM WHO YOU THINK @ Pictus

Thank you every so much for really taking the time to share your inputs and suggestion on what I could go about and get. Really gives me a great idea.

On the other hand after reading the list suggested by @ Pictus about the motherboards (one is the same as @ IM WHO YOU THINK suggested too), at first I was so happy because it had TB3 until I read @ Pictus note that its not compatible with TB3 or TB2 soundcards that we all use from different makers such UAD etc...

Have I read correctly??? Should I understand that at this moment there's no TB3 motherboard in the world of PC (Windows 10) that is compatible or works without any issue with TB2 or 3 soundcards that we all use from UAD/Presonus/Focusrite and so forth???

If YES that will really be a downer for me to be honest because I was ready to step forward and jump on board with the TB world.

If ever theres a motherboard that would require paying a little more to get TB3 compatible and working with major soundcards, I'm ok to pay really.

Or I guess i'll have to find a work-around with an adapter and stuff like that???

Any further inputs about the TB3 subject with Windows 10 world is really welcome so I can see where things are standing...

Again Much appreciated so far for all these great inputs.

P.S Also I prefer not to and buy the LATEST latest motherbaord that might have some issues or haven't pass the tests of many audio situation, I don't mind staying a year behind in terms of "latest".

And I'd love to consider going with M2 drives as main HD as I heard its really fast.

Thanks again
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
Hello @ IM WHO YOU THINK @ Pictus

Thank you every so much for really taking the time to share your inputs and suggestion on what I could go about and get. Really gives me a great idea.
I am glad to help.
Quote:
On the other hand after reading the list suggested by @ Pictus about the motherboards (one is the same as @ IM WHO YOU THINK suggested too), at first I was so happy because it had TB3 until I read @ Pictus note that its not compatible with TB3 or TB2 soundcards that we all use from different makers such UAD etc...

Have I read correctly??? Should I understand that at this moment there's no TB3 motherboard in the world of PC (Windows 10) that is compatible or works without any issue with TB2 or 3 soundcards that we all use from UAD/Presonus/Focusrite and so forth???
-The Gigabyte Z390 Designare is compatible with TB(Thunderbolt) 3 and 2, but
not with Audio interfaces TB 1.

-The ASRock Z390/X570 Taichi(the TB card) is compatible with TB 1/2/3.

-Both the ASRock and Gigabyte are native TB 3 and to connect to a
TB 2 or TB 1(not the Gigabyte) Audio interface you will need:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-co...dp/B0084L74EW/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-co.../dp/B019FPJDQ2
Quote:
P.S Also I prefer not to and buy the LATEST latest motherbaord that might have some issues or haven't pass the tests of many audio situation, I don't mind staying a year behind in terms of "latest".
OK, then go for the Intel 9900k. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/9Zhs6s
Quote:
And I'd love to consider going with M2 drives as main HD as I heard its really fast.
NVMe vs SATA vs M.2
https://phoenixnap.com/kb/nvme-vs-sa...m-2-comparison
The M.2 NVMe drives are very fast you can install all there with no loss
of performance for audio workloads, you can create a small partition in
the big NVMe SSD for the operational system and leave the rest for the
other stuff.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by throbert View Post
You can mod the lid of a 4U case so the cooler will fit.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You caught another one of my errors, I forgot the 970 Evo Plus 1GB. This is to be my system drive

The other SSDs are my Sample drive, a recording drive, and a smaller SSD for my MPC 4k.

I'm deciding if I'll change my case, or go with something like a Scythe Mugen.

Thanks again!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
I am glad to help.

-The Gigabyte Z390 Designare is compatible with TB(Thunderbolt) 3 and 2, but
not with Audio interfaces TB 1.

-The ASRock Z390/X570 Taichi(the TB card) is compatible with TB 1/2/3.

-Both the ASRock and Gigabyte are native TB 3 and to connect to a
TB 2 or TB 1(not the Gigabyte) Audio interface you will need:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-co...dp/B0084L74EW/
https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-co.../dp/B019FPJDQ2

OK, then go for the Intel 9900k. https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/9Zhs6s

NVMe vs SATA vs M.2
https://phoenixnap.com/kb/nvme-vs-sa...m-2-comparison
The M.2 NVMe drives are very fast you can install all there with no loss
of performance for audio workloads, you can create a small partition in
the big NVMe SSD for the operational system and leave the rest for the
other stuff.
Hey @ Pictus

Once again thanks a lot for taking the time to go through all the details. And again sorry as I mis-read you about the TB compatibilities. I'm now relieved that the MB you suggested can work with TB 2 & 3. Now I can go further and start choosing my parts. But I'll go at a store here and tell them the parts I want and have them build it for me because I'm not a Tech and don't like playing inside computers even though I have the understanding of how things work hahaha

This is a great starting point, very much appreciated ;-) And really excited
Old 3 weeks ago
Is there anyway to stop all the anti cpu hack solutions that plague intel cpu’s. I’d rather gain 20% cpu than constantly be running anti hack routines that just seem to be appearing more and more?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
Is there anyway to stop all the anti cpu hack solutions that plague intel cpu’s. I’d rather gain 20% cpu than constantly be running anti hack routines that just seem to be appearing more and more?
Yep, go AMD.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
There is, buy AMD CPU...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transi...ulnerabilities

--------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
You're a damn legend @ Pictus .

Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi all,
I am upgrading my intel i7 7700k, 64 gigs of ram , 2 samsung m.2 (system and sample ), 2 samsung 850 evo samples , gygabyte b250 game 3 board nvidia gforce 1080 video card. I am using pro tools hd and vep 7 ( 12 instances )with a simplified template of 250 tracks ( instruments ), mostly kontakt and vienna and some vst's, and sometimes cubase 8.5. I need to enable / disable the instruments in vep a lot to get things going, so i need to upgrade.
It looks like the intel i9 9940X could be capable to handle this kind of workload plus lots plugins , which is why i like to use pro tools to compose and mix fast due to tight deadlines. I also would choose a MoBo accordingly to upgrade to 128 gigs of ram and try to stay away from using a second computer with vep. Does it seems to be a right choice or the i9 9900k would be enough ( which i doubt ) ? Or better wait for the new amd threadripper gen 3 ? But according to scan pro (http://www.scanproaudio.info/) the amd start to max out very early when using several cores , but again i could have misunderstood the benchmark?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

@ larry777
I have no doubt, wait for the new Threadripper gen 3
https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-threa...d-cpu-spotted/
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reply, what do you think about the coming AMD Ryzen 9 3950X for audio and specially heavy track counts vep ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

@ larry777 ,
You are welcome, I think it will be better than the AMD Ryzen 9 3000X.

BTW, B350 motherboard with 128GB RAM.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...n7os/?sort=new
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

great , thanks for the tip.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, there are registry settings to block the mitigations for the pre-processing pipeline theoretical vulnerabilities--and I installed them on day one. Its on google somewhere. Also mentioned in the windows 10 thread, but can't say which page...

I have also observed here a few times that the media hype about it was click bait IMHO and that I am not aware of a single instance of this vulnerability actually being exploited in the real world. I don't believe they plagued intel cpus, but they certainly plagued their reputation.

Not going to re-hash the whole rationale, but in simple terms, its not the job of the cpu to protect your system from a virus once the virus is installed. Once you have a virus, you are screwed, and if you don't, there is nothing to worry about.
Old 3 weeks ago
Cheers for the heads up, I totally agree about the hyperbole and will find out how to turn these cpu wasting routines off.
Old 3 weeks ago
Found it, https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

This turns off the patch
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Good find. I have huge respect for steve gibson--I use his shields up to verify I have my firewall set up properly.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
@ larry777 ,
You are welcome, I think it will be better than the AMD Ryzen 9 3000X.

BTW, B350 motherboard with 128GB RAM.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...n7os/?sort=new
Hello @ Pictus ....

Now that you guys have been talking about AMD, regarding the system components you've suggested me here that are based Intel, whats the equivalent in AMD CPU world? Or is it that AD CPU even thought they look in paper more powerful, are they fully compatible with some motherboards you've suggested me already or AMD isn't rock solid when it comes to music computer blend with lets say Thunderbolt technology and all??

I'm curious to know what would be the best someone would decide to go AMD??

No rush, whenever you have time, I just want to see what are the Cons & Pros.

Cheers ;-)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

@ Solar ,
Sorry, I do not fully understand your questions...
Anyway, what is more powerful for audio workloads is at
http://www.scanproaudio.info/2019/07...-magic-number/

Intel is now mature, it is like build a PC and be happy.
AMD is new, it is like build a PC and every month
there will be a new BIOS/chipset drives...
If you are a "nerd" go for AMD, if you are not go for Intel.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I was waiting for the 3950x. My 7 year old computer has other plans, which include BSODs and boot loops. I ended up buying parts for a 9900k system. I have no doubt it’ll make me happy for years to come after it’s assembled, up and running. Maybe by then the underdog, Intel, will get it together enough to challenge AMD ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
Or is it that AD CPU even thought they look in paper more powerful, are they fully compatible with some motherboards you've suggested me already or AMD isn't rock solid when it comes to music computer blend with lets say Thunderbolt technology and all??
Some have gotten the Presonus Quantum to work on the ASRock X570 Taichi. Read more about it here:
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/upda...-bsod/145888/9

I would go Intel until more testing has been done....
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
@ Solar ,
Sorry, I do not fully understand your questions...
Anyway, what is more powerful for audio workloads is at
http://www.scanproaudio.info/2019/07...-magic-number/

Intel is now mature, it is like build a PC and be happy.
AMD is new, it is like build a PC and every month
there will be a new BIOS/chipset drives...
If you are a "nerd" go for AMD, if you are not go for Intel.
Hi @ Pictus , got it, exactly the answer I needed. I personally don't want to go too much hassle and so forth. Then I'll stay with Intel all the way.

I'll get back to you when I'll start putting together the pieces to build my new workstation.

Once again, much appreciated all the input and to all of you as well. Big thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I got my all my stuff to build up my new PC. I got a 1tb SSD does it make sense to partition it off say 500g for the OS and 500g for working files?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Rider View Post
I got my all my stuff to build up my new PC. I got a 1tb SSD does it make sense to partition it off say 500g for the OS and 500g for working files?
Only reason to do that would be if you plan to add other os partitions, or want to do a different process for backing up the os than backing up the files.

Otherwise all partitioning does is take the empty space on the os drive and make it unavailable for user files. Also, windows 10 takes 60 gig at most--I am pretty sure thats the standard C drive allocation for windows servers. (Windows server 2016 and windows 10 are the same code with the product type driving some different behaviors).
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
Only reason to do that would be if you plan to add other os partitions, or want to do a different process for backing up the os than backing up the files.

Otherwise all partitioning does is take the empty space on the os drive and make it unavailable for user files. Also, windows 10 takes 60 gig at most--I am pretty sure thats the standard C drive allocation for windows servers. (Windows server 2016 and windows 10 are the same code with the product type driving some different behaviors).
The original idea is if something goes bad and you have to reformat all your files are good. Maybe 200/800?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Rider View Post
The original idea is if something goes bad and you have to reformat all your files are good. Maybe 200/800?
I could go 100/900 if you throw in an sm57...

PS. Just joking here. It seemed like you were entering into a negotiation on your partition sizes. Its your system, don't need my permission. I gave you my thoughts, but up to you to meet your own goals.

Just in case, I will remind that multiple partitions is no substitute for a file backup scheme.

Last edited by ponzi; 3 weeks ago at 03:58 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search