The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The "today we build our studio pc" thread
Old 15th July 2019
Here for the gear

hey, don't know if this is proper topic, but I started to plan buliding new desktop for ableton. I'm thinking about i5-7600 and i5-8600. Price is very similar, but which one will be better for working with audio? Or maybe different CPU near this price?
What would you recommend?
I'm thinking about 32gb RAM
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominiqued View Post
hey, don't know if this is proper topic, but I started to plan buliding new desktop for ableton. I'm thinking about i5-7600 and i5-8600. Price is very similar, but which one will be better for working with audio? Or maybe different CPU near this price?
CPU benchmark shows 8600k as faster than 7600k, so absent some other factor, between the two I would buy the 8600. it also has 6 physical ores to 7600 4 cores.
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

Since my pc has financial data on it in addition to the daw aspect, I wanted to secure against the risk of theft. With my new asus z390 prime, there is a 13 pin tpm plug. I ordered one off amazon. For this mobo, its the tpm-m r2.0. The M designation is for the small, 13 pin, plug while the L designation is for the larger 20 pin plug. Triple check your pin count and the module you are buying.

The tpm allows me to use bitlocker which encrypts the hard drives, and windows secure boot which helps prevent rootkits by requiring signed drivers on boot.

So, just fyi, as there was very little info on this on the web--including the asus website. I have read that a tpm like this will not work in other brands of mobo so keep that in mind. I think tpm is considered an enterprise feature, so presumably handled by whomever a business orders their computers from.
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominiqued View Post
For that money I would go Ryzen 3600 6 cores 12 threads and a solid B450 motherboard.
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleazy_Rider View Post
For that money I would go Ryzen 3600 6 cores 12 threads and a solid B450 motherboard.
does the B450 support ryzen 3? based on initial searches looks like only supports gen 1 and 2 of ryzen.
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Guru

The guy over at Hardware Unboxed even ran a 3700x on a B350.

I think it's possible but I suppose people should check power delivery as well as make sure the BIOS is updated to support it. Personally I'd probably either 'go low' or splurge on a 570x.

https://youtu.be/oRaZ2Txv13M?t=547
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modular_8 View Post
does the B450 support ryzen 3?
Check this https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=639584818
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
does the B450 support ryzen 3? based on initial searches looks like only supports gen 1 and 2 of ryzen.
Yes that’s why I posted it

A solid mobo like the MSI B450 pro carbon supports Ryzen 3rd gen the bios is already out
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post

I think it's possible but I suppose people should check power delivery as well as make sure the BIOS is updated to support it. Personally I'd probably either 'go low' or splurge on a 570x.

It was actually a 3900x they tested on the B350

Why x 570 ? No performance gain over B450 or x 470

Unless you want gen 4 pci e
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
oh wow. thanks! that's great. those are very affordable and probably a big win for people already using them when it comes time to upgrade.
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Why x 570 ? No performance gain over B450 or x 470

Unless you want gen 4 pci e
For thunderbolt as well as pcie 4.0. Actually, it's more the indirect effects of 4.0 like more faster USB 3 connections.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
oh wow. thanks! that's great. those are very affordable and probably a big win for people already using them when it comes time to upgrade.
Get a B450 with a decent VRM
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
i'm not actually in the market yet.. just keeping an eye on things and getting some data for later.
Old 16th July 2019
If you have a UAD Solo, Duo or Quad you may want to choose ASRock motherboards. They worked on compatibility although I doubt there will be active support for it. New BIOSes coming out now should work with them.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
If you have a UAD Solo, Duo or Quad you may want to choose ASRock motherboards. They worked on compatibility although I doubt there will be active support for it. New BIOSes coming out now should work with them.
How's Gigabyte go?
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Since I'm still looking into a mITX system, I don't have many options. Do you have any thoughts on the Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI? ASRock have some great Z390 mITX motherboards but for AMD it's all meh, and when you factor in the possibility of DPC latency issues, and the lack of reviews and DPC latency tests, the whole ITX quest seems to lead nowhere.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
You wouldn't happen to have any recommendations, would you?

Edit: Just saw this: Anandtech ASRock B450 Gaming ITX/ac review (see section on DPC latency near the bottom) Seems OK except for the fact that the rear panel I/O is sh*te.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
You wouldn't happen to have any recommendations, would you?

Edit: Just saw this: Anandtech ASRock B450 Gaming ITX/ac review (see section on DPC latency near the bottom) Seems OK except for the fact that the rear panel I/O is sh*te.
I have the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC . Brilliant Motherboard. Just waiting for 3900x to come in stock...
Old 16th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekwipt View Post
How's Gigabyte go?
No idea tbh.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC . Brilliant Motherboard. Just waiting for 3900x to come in stock...
ATX not ITX though. I need something small and I don't need more than one PCIi slot. 9900K package is looking hotter every time I look
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
ATX not ITX though. I need something small and I don't need more than one PCIi slot. 9900K package is looking hotter every time I look
https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards...X470-I-GAMING/

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards...B450-I-GAMING/
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

I had dismissed those boards as I didn't like the piggy-back m.2+sound card thing but I've just seen this review which reports very low DPC latency, this might be it:

Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had dismissed those boards as I didn't like the piggy-back m.2+sound card thing but I've just seen this review which reports very low DPC latency, this might be it:

Pair that with a 3700x or 3900x and your set
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
There's also ASUS who has some or all boards working with UAD solo/duo/quad.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Pair that with a 3700x or 3900x and your set
I think I can tolerate the piggy-back board. Thanks for the heads-up
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Hmm ok Ryzen 3900X seems to be out of stock till mid-August here in China. And then I'll want to wait for 3950X, probably.
Old 16th July 2019
Quote:
There's also ASUS who has some or all boards working with UAD solo/duo/quad.
Yes, but that was more or less a known fact. The ASRock compatibility is new (assuming the fix is on all boards).
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

The only X570 motherboards on sale today (16.07.19) that has thunderbolt possibility is ASRock X570 Taichi, X570 Extreme4, X570 Pro4, X570 Steel Legend and X570 Phantom Gaming X. It says in the specifications: 1 x Thunderbolt™ AIC Connector (5-pin) (Supports ASRock Thunderbolt™ AIC Card only). I have not seen anybody having it up and running with thunderbolt as of today. Hope somebody here can buy it and test if it's works and are stable. Then maybe I would recommend a AMD solution too
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Guru

I doubt it.
Old 16th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Any idea which boards / CPUs this will cover?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search