Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 5edf3fa View Post
It has about zero importance to me.
Attached Thumbnails
The "today we build our studio pc" thread-screenshot_20190709-230039.jpg  
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear

Upcoming new 14nm CPUs from Intel leaked as an answer to AMD. A ten core will replace the i9-9900k for the same money and hyperthreading is back starting with i5 CPUs.
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
Upcoming new 14nm CPUs from Intel leaked as an answer to AMD. A ten core will replace the i9-9900k for the same money and hyperthreading is back starting with i5 CPUs.
The i3 has HT...But its all a little too late for Intel and quite tragic. They are stuck on 14nm and have nothing new to offer customers, They could have enabled HT in the i3 for years but they got greedy, drip fed their customers and now have been bitten severely by AMD..They didn't inovate they chose to stagnate...By the time 7nm appears for intel AMD will have already the new gen Ryzens ready for release...Bad management from intel on all fronts.

And once again you need a new mobo as the 10th gen requires a new mobo.

Just waiting for my 3900x to arrive knowing I have already have an upgrade path in september with the 16/32 3950X

EDIT: More research suggests it all FAKE as a hoax!
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear

Speaking of Ryzen 2's claimed "superiority" to Intel... It appears that AMD is now using an automatic, dynamic, overclocking scheme which constantly varies the clock speed of all cores when under heavy load such that there seems to be no such thing as a locked all-core overclock. I'm wondering if this constant CPU clock adjustment will have a negative effect on low latency performance?

People need to understand that the CPU demands for realtime audio processing are quite different than something like rendering a video or other forms of number crunching. Hopefully upcoming DAWBench results will clear things up....
Old 10th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bass View Post
Speaking of Ryzen 2's claimed "superiority" to Intel... It appears that AMD is now using an automatic, dynamic, overclocking scheme which constantly varies the clock speed of all cores when under heavy load such that there seems to be no such thing as a locked all-core overclock. I'm wondering if this constant CPU clock adjustment will have a negative effect on low latency performance?

People need to understand that the CPU demands for realtime audio processing are quite different than something like rendering a video or other forms of number crunching. Hopefully upcoming DAWBench results will clear things up....
Good point; I have always locked the cores in if possible.
Awhile back I was watching the clock speed on my Xeon E5 2667v2 & 2690v2's....
while the DAW was loaded; they stayed at the maximum all core boost.
But I had C-states disabled and CPU speed set to 100% as the lowest.
Or just use the performance setting in the power scheme. I think unless
it was thermal throttling it should stay at that frequency. I wouldn't
think that the new Ryzen's should be any different...

Man; The battle is real between AMD & Intel. Great for all of us.
If Ryzen 3000's still have low RTL issues; I guess we can all go with the
10 core Intel. Its a win win.....
By the time I'm ready to upgrade (1-2 years) I wonder what will be available???

Great times!!!!

~JuIsE~
Old 10th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bass View Post

Yes, there are two different sorts of loads and two sorts of metrics for them. For most things, throughput is the goal, and a varying clock speed can be optimum for best average performance. As I have said, for audio, the computer needs to be able to have a full buffer of samples ready in response to every 'need next buffer data' interrupt from the sound device, so there is a base performance that needs to be there at all times.

Whether the amd has the ability to maintain a sufficient base speed is a the question here, and if it can over-clock in bursts above that, not necessarily a problem.

@ juiseman , I suspect that similar to 'which daw is best' type battles, there is in reality maybe a 5% difference between intel/amd products, so whichever way you go, it will be fine--hard to base a religious battle on a small advantage that might see saw back and forth depending on who just released a new product. But if some want to use this as a proxy for larger emotional patterns like the underdog versus the evil empire, makes the discussion more fun to read.

PS. I am not saying @ juiseman has engaged in any sort of religious battle here--he has not, its just the subject just came to my mind while I was responding to his comment.

As the price, performance, and models are constantly changing, I see it as a matter of analyzing the situation at the time you are ready to upgrade and one vendor may be best at that point. Last time I did a head to head on amd versus intel, the amd was not very much less expensive, so the anti-intel hype was not correct. But I have an open mind when my time to upgrade comes.

Also, since my pc is used for personal stuff as well as daw, I have another requirement--that it can host a tpm module so I can use bitlocker to encrypt my drives--in case the pc gets stolen. Yesterday, I looked at some amd mobos and did not see a tpm header mentioned--maybe I missed it. This is desktop--TPM are typically already installed in laptops. This is probably not a requirement for most people, but gives me a strong deciding factor.

As to intel's failure to get below 14nm in node size--might be a big deal to some but I have thought about it, and I simply can't find a reason to care if amd has a smaller node size. There does not appear to be a performance difference, maybe a tiny heat difference, and the cpu physical size is dictated by the number of pins rather than the tiny cpu itself mounted on the pin array. There may be other situations or applications where this might be important, but for my desktop daw--nothing I can identify.

Last edited by ponzi; 11th July 2019 at 05:02 PM..
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

Well I have my Ryzen 3600 system built, up and running, and so far, knocking spots off my old Intel i5 4460 rig, I now have the arduous task of reinstalling everything, as I also bought new 1tb PCI gen4 nvme drive and 2 tb SSD, Ableton is running well, already got my overall latency down to 12ms @128 samples, without hardship, may go lower, but need to get everything installed and re-downloaded.

But so far its impressive.
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goony View Post
Well I have my Ryzen 3600 system built, up and running, and so far, knocking spots off my old Intel i5 4460 rig,..
Thanks for the information. Can you tell us what motherboard you went with and how much ram? Thanks.
Old 11th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Well I have my Ryzen 3600 system built, up and running, and so far, knocking spots off my old Intel i5 4460 rig, I now have the arduous task of reinstalling everything, as I also bought new 1tb PCI gen4 nvme drive and 2 tb SSD, Ableton is running well, already got my overall latency down to 12ms @128 samples, without hardship, may go lower, but need to get everything installed and re-downloaded.

But so far its impressive.
Thank you, I've a 3700x system waiting for me to build. Now I know it's not an absolute audio lemon I can crack things open without worrying I'll need to return it. Not that I'll have time to do anything until the weekend, but still, much appreciated info
Old 11th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
Thanks for the information. Can you tell us what motherboard you went with and how much ram? Thanks.
I went for 16GB ram running at 3600mhz, motherboard is a Gigabyte Aorus Ultra x570, and hitting 4.2ghz all cores with Corsair H115 AIO
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I went for 16GB ram running at 3600mhz, motherboard is a Gigabyte Aorus Ultra x570, and hitting 4.2ghz all cores with Corsair H115 AIO
Nice! Look forward to more of your performance thoughts.
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
What's DPC latency like? Thanks for sharing
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Still re-installing, gonna take a while, then have to install all my Waves Audio beta test stuff too :(, just as well its my weekend off from work lol.
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Still re-installing, gonna take a while, then have to install all my Waves Audio beta test stuff too :(, just as well its my weekend off from work lol.
It'll only take 2 minutes to install and run this:

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

This is what everyone is waiting for :¬)
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
It'll only take 2 minutes to install and run this:

https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

This is what everyone is waiting for :¬)
If he has installed the new Windows 1903 he probably gonna get spikes. This would be fixed when Windows 1903 build 18936 comes out (are insider release at the moment)
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Screenshot attached, means nothing to me lol... Bear in mind this is not been optimised yet, all I have done is enabled xmp for ram, and precision boost, nothing else.

Any good?
Attached Thumbnails
The "today we build our studio pc" thread-photo.jpg   The "today we build our studio pc" thread-photo1.jpg  
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Any good?
Sure...If you only need to last 15 seconds without audio glitching you're golden

20-30 minute running would be more revealing.
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
Sure...If you only need to last 15 seconds without audio glitching you're golden

20-30 minute running would be more revealing.
Busy re-installing everything Komplete 12, all my Waves & Softube stuff, so that takes priority over some test.
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Busy re-installing everything Komplete 12, all my Waves & Softube stuff, so that takes priority over some test.
This is the biggest annoyance when setting up a computer. Application settings are saved all over the place, and most people can't be bothered to first find out where the hell they are saved, let alone back them up. A given applications may store its files and settings in locations including:
  • C:\Program Files
  • C:\Program Files\Common Files
  • VST folder
  • C:\Users\<user>\AppData
  • C:\Users\<user>\Documents
  • The registry
  • ... etc ...

Why can't it all be in a single folder and settings written to an .ini or .xml file?

I run a whole bunch of portable apps which are a huge joy to use. After doing a fresh OS install, portable apps are good to go without any extra work, with all settings in place exactly as they were before. Some people think commercial software can't be portable. Wrong, I run other commercial software that can run portably, all you have to do is enter a key once after fresh-installing the OS and then it works, with your old settings preserved.

Many plugins are portable as well, so I don't see why other plugins can't be and instead require "installation". A lot of people think of installation as some sort of magical process we are not supposed to understand, when really it just means copying a bunch of files to certain locations and writing a few registry keys.

With all the technical advances we've seen, it's shocking developers can't come up with a way to make our lives easier...

Last edited by Scoox; 12th July 2019 at 02:33 PM..
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Already posted in the AMD specific thread, but also relevent here without a doubt.

http://www.scanproaudio.info/2019/07...-magic-number/
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

I had to look twice at the AMD polyphony results to make sure I am not in the DSP chart.

Thank you Pete
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Kaine View Post
Already posted in the AMD specific thread, but also relevent here without a doubt.

http://www.scanproaudio.info/2019/07...-magic-number/
Thanks a lot Pete!! Reading now
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had to look twice at the AMD polyphony results to make sure I am not in the DSP chart.
You and me both, I spent a day double checking after building the chart the first time!
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thank you Pete
Me too !!
Old 12th July 2019
Lives for gear

So it seems the 3700X is the best value CPU, but what about the 3800X?
Old 12th July 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
So it seems the 3700X is the best value CPU, but what about the 3800X?
I don't think there are any in the country right now, so nobody knows.
Old 13th July 2019
Here for the gear

3900X + Asus Rog X570 Fgaming
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

My 4 year old p9d ws mobo failed thursday--got stuck in post and failed with A2 which is reported as ide error. Tried a few things but: "He's dead, Jim". I will note than in more than 30 years, I have had maybe 4 mobos fail, with two of them being server mobos for my xeon 1276--a supermicro and an asus. So, the purportedly higher reliability of server/workstation mobos had a higher failure rate than regular ones. Most of my mobos get retired due to new technology and could still be put in a case and boot up, even at 10 or more years old.

Fortunately for me, I had been researching the current state of affairs heavily and had already determined that at this moment, I liked an i7-9700k and asus z390 prime, and from prior monitoring, determined I can easily get by with 16 gig of ram. Leaving out a sad tale of unusual install problems like a new pc case that had the wrong threads on its mobo mounting posts (used my old case after all), no tech problems once I got it all together.

Had to deal with both windows and office failing activation. I noted that it is no longer possible to purchase a perpetual office license, only subscription based office 365. I was able to identify a free email client and LibreOffice, a free word processer and spreadsheet--not great but good enough for me--and put the bloatware and continued expense of ms office behind me. From work I could have gotten office 2019 for $15, but that expired June 30. Windows I was able to activate using an extra product key I had.

I note that the office activation fail said it had been activated too many times. I also note that in the last month I have installed three mandatory microsoft updates and each time I had to re-activate office--did that use up my activations--changes initated by microsoft. In any case, this sort of breach was inevitable, and it was for the best once the hassle was done.

As far as music software, only had to re-run native instrument authenticator tool under admin rights and it got things back to normal. My old mobo had a nice usb socket on the mobo where I put the cubase dongle. New one does not. I already had a two usb socket cord that plugs into usb header, so I put the cubase dongle on that where it will remain inside the pc case--so as not to get broken off and cost a fortune.

I already had a quiet and large after-market cpu cooling fan, so no spend there--got out of it for about $600. So, while my old system was fast enough, I went from a four core, 8 thread xeon to 8 cores no hyperthreading. 30% faster on single core benchmark (2 -> 3k) and almost double on multi-core (10,000k->17,000k). I got the newer technology for potential future use, and the 9700k was only $30 more than an 8700k.

The reviews I read said the asus z390 prime was a best seller and a no-frills type mobo for those who don't do advanced over-clocking and are gamers. It has all I have a use for.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

No needs
Old 15th July 2019
Lives for gear

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search