The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The "today we build our studio pc" thread
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delusionboy View Post
I have the Asus Prime X299 Deluxe II - it definitely has thunderbolt 3 built in, looking right at it. the version one of this board which is very similar does not have it built in.

I'm actually considering getting the add on thunderbolt card though, as it might help my problem which seems to be a thunderbolt 3-2 adapter conflict issue.
Sorry, I'm mixing up my boards it seems.

Ok, what I can say is that there various different controllers, we're currently on Titanridge and Alpine Ridge predated it. There were more cards before that but they didn't have official Windows support.

Both Alpine and Titan are fully TB3 cards and they've not made TB 2 cards in maybe 3 or 4 years now. If Antelope is suggesting you get a TB 2 card, they are asking something that is going to be pretty hard to achieve.

Most firms will recommend either the Apple or Startech converters (TB3 to TB2 converters), but rarely both of them, so maybe get them to tell you which one works better for them.

It might be worth checking what controller is on the board. If it's Titan then try Alpine or vice versa.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Is anyone using 32GB RAM sticks in the Z390 to come up with 128GB memory?
There don't seem to be many offerings for this size. What brands are making them?

That said, will any of the new Ryzen 3000 series offer support for 128GB of RAM?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
Not quite, I'm trying to rationalize a waiting for greener Ryzen pasturses vs having a known tried-and-tested working rig now. I did buy an i9-9900K and z390 miniITX mobo but I returned them two days ago because the hype surrounding Ryzen was too tempting. Now I have no rig at all, just a horrid Surface Pro 4 I'm typing this on.
Hang in there, I'm in the same (kinda) boat. POS PC that won't let me even finish a single mix without maxxing out!

Quote:
Aren't there any drawbacks? Surely the higher end motherboards (and not necessarily the ones with fancy RGB nonsense) do a better job at power delivery, are more configurable, use better components, etc. I don't mind using x470 as I won't benefit from PCI Express 4.0 but I've been looking through the available x470 miniITX boards and the options are disappointing, and also more expensive than top-of-the-range z390 miniITX boards.
More expensive boards are for gamers who pursue insane overclocks that's why they need all those extra fans and power and LED lights and other crap. If you don't overclock and just want to stick in a CPU, memory and HDD and be done a basic mobo will suffice.

Quote:
I haven't seen any reports explicitly referring to DPC latency, in fact I'm not sure they even factor DPC latency in at all. In any case, DPC latency issues are usually caused by the motherboard, GPU and drivers.
Yeah, I don't really understand this issue. Will have to wait until tests are out.

Quote:
Supporting up to 3 x 4K simultaneous displays?
Ouch. That's pricey. But yeah, I think Geforce 750 supports it and bunch of others. Won't be $20, more like $50, but if you're buying 3x 4k screens I assume your budget can handle it?

Quote:
That's probably true, and the reason for this dilema—raw theoretical performance vs suitability for real-time audio work.
Ryzens have a reputation for being better suited for heavy processing work than gaming like Intel. We'll see. July 7th is almost here.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post
Hang in there, I'm in the same (kinda) boat. POS PC that won't let me even finish a single mix without maxxing out!
Screw it, I'm waiting this one out. AMD says Ryzen 3000 CPUs will perform the same in B450 and X470 boards, and some of those older boards actually look like they'll fit my needs better than any of the x570 boards I've seen so far.

Re. the GPU, I will almost definitely be using a single large 4K display, but I like the option of connecting a second display e.g. projector. Just wondering, does the GPU fan always spin or does it only spin when doing graphics-intensive work? A very slow spinning fan might tolerable.

I'm also curious, are AMD abandoning AM4 after 2020 for actual technical reasons or just because they want to keep motherboard manufacturers happy?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Screw it, I'm waiting this one out. AMD says Ryzen 3000 CPUs will perform the same in B450 and X470 boards, and some of those older boards actually look like they'll fit my needs better than any of the x570 boards I've seen so far.
I'll be buying just a regular economy-grade board. Unless tests come out and show Ryzen is actually 2x slower than 9900k in everything but geekbench

Quote:
Re. the GPU, I will almost definitely be using a single large 4K display, but I like the option of connecting a second display e.g. projector. Just wondering, does the GPU fan always spin or does it only spin when doing graphics-intensive work? A very slow spinning fan might tolerable.
Well, your PC case will have fans in it, right? Probably 2 or 3 anyway? What's yet another little fan in it? Most likely you won't hear it, they only spin hard when you play 3D games. For desktop duties they're like at 2% power, that thing will be at min revs. Also there's software that lets you adjust the speed of the fan.

Quote:
I'm also curious, are AMD abandoning AM4 after 2020 for actual technical reasons or just because they want to keep motherboard manufacturers happy?
I don't know. I'm personally buying it to last good 5-10 years. By the time of the next upgrade... everything will be different, it will be all new, faster, drives, ram, ports etc. Just buy what you need right now.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll be buying just a regular economy-grade board. Unless tests come out and show Ryzen is actually 2x slower than 9900k in everything but geekbench
Just curious, do you have a specific board in mind?

Quote:
Well, your PC case will have fans in it, right? Probably 2 or 3 anyway? What's yet another little fan in it? Most likely you won't hear it, they only spin hard when you play 3D games. For desktop duties they're like at 2% power, that thing will be at min revs. Also there's software that lets you adjust the speed of the fan.
I'm planning to make a case using 2020 aluminium profile and laser cut plywood, using an external DC PSU with a DC-to-ATX adaptor. My plan is to have two fans in push-pull configuration that suck fresh air directly from the outside of the case through a vent onto the CPU cooler, rather than circulating the cases's own hot mess, and then expel it out of the case through an exhaust vent. The idea is to keep the CPU separate from the rest of the system, which in theory will result in lower motherboard and GPU temps. For these there will be another fan on the side of the case sucking air from the outside. I've never tested anything like this but I think it'll work. The fans will have a filter on them to minimize dust build-up.

Quote:
I don't know. I'm personally buying it to last good 5-10 years. By the time of the next upgrade... everything will be different, it will be all new, faster, drives, ram, ports etc. Just buy what you need right now.
Me too—once I have a reliable system I tend to stick with it for a loooong time. Hopefully not but innovation might reach a plateau, due to technical difficulties (e.g. hitting a transistor size limit), cost or simply lack of demand for faster-bigger-better. Regarding ports, I don't know if we really need more port standards, especially for external hardware. I have a feeling SATA might get replaced by an interface that uses a sturdier connector, supports faster data transmission rates and carries power and data over a single connector (unlike SATA), and optionally supports an external power supply if required. For external devices, I'm not sure we really need any new standards. I mean, we are still using Type-A connectors, and a lot of hardware still uses USB 2.0. I do wish there was a beefier Type-C plug though, kind of like a reversible Type-A, the reversible aspect of Type-C is definitely one of my favourite features of the standard. I think manufacturers should strive to continue using current standards for as long as possible, because new standards make old hardware obsolete and all they do is create a market for adaptors and a lot of e-waste, which reminds me of my favourite quote from Jurassic Park:

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
My guess is for technical reasons if the choose to move on. If you think about it there are some 'interesting' limitations on AM4. For example you have dual channel DDR. I don't think you can get beyond that without changing the pinout on the CPU. So at some point we're going to see new CPUs that are more powerful but need to be fed more data from RAM, so something will have to change then.

If we're buying up to 12-16 cores now and do mostly processing of audio we're likely fine from what I can tell, but as more video processing guys in some price brackets move to this platform I think demands might increase.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi.
Anyone have experience of old Sandy Bridge Xeon processors with new motherboards from China with NVMe?

Example motherboards
PLEXHD X79 Turbo, ATX --- https://www.aliexpress.com/item/PLEX...941784993.html
HUANAN ZHI X79-ZD3, micro ATX --- https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HUAN...003717948.html

Have two old 4 core DDR3 machines with 16 and 32GB ram, 1 SSD rest mechanical drives. With limited budget this solution is very tempting.

Sandy Bridge Xeon E5 2689, 64GB ram and China board for 300 USD. 32GB on one and 64GB ram on the other. This upgrade will cost about 500 USD excluding NVMe storage.

This setup with a maxed out Late 2012 quad core Mac Mini as master, Cubase and Vienna Ensemble Pro. Music production is smaller orchestra with high quality audio libraries.

Is this a good budget solution? How is the NVMe performance on these boards? Latency issue because of the special solutions this motherboards have? Think boards like these use different chipset to lower costs.

Or other alternative for slave machine...

Used X79 quality board that supports 128GB ram - 150 USD
Ivy Brige 12 core 24T, Xeon E5-2697 v2 - 400 USD
64GB DDR3 (Total 96GB) - 100 USD
Cheap low latency card (Radeon 550?) - 130 USD
PCIe to four NVMe adapter, in PCIe 3 port for GPU - 100 USD
Two NVMe, total 2TB, to start with - 400 USD
Current SSD for Windows

More expensive (900 USD excluding NVMe storage) but more horse power and ram in one machine, no unknown China motherboard and one less machine to worry about. Enough performance for smaller orchestra music? Even skip the Mac Mini and only use one machine?

Or start with the 8 core Xeon E5 2689 for now and lower the cost with 300 USD. Enough CPU power for this work? Upgrade CPU later if needed...

Is there any recommended cheap fanless low latency graphics card? Second hand...?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippl View Post
Hi.
Anyone have experience of old Sandy Bridge Xeon processors with new motherboards from China with NVMe?

Example motherboards
PLEXHD X79 Turbo, ATX --- https://www.aliexpress.com/item/PLEX...941784993.html
HUANAN ZHI X79-ZD3, micro ATX --- https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HUAN...003717948.html

Have two old 4 core DDR3 machines with 16 and 32GB ram, 1 SSD rest mechanical drives. With limited budget this solution is very tempting.

Sandy Bridge Xeon E5 2689, 64GB ram and China board for 300 USD. 32GB on one and 64GB ram on the other. This upgrade will cost about 500 USD excluding NVMe storage.

This setup with a maxed out Late 2012 quad core Mac Mini as master, Cubase and Vienna Ensemble Pro. Music production is smaller orchestra with high quality audio libraries.

Is this a good budget solution? How is the NVMe performance on these boards? Latency issue because of the special solutions this motherboards have? Think boards like these use different chipset to lower costs.

Or other alternative for slave machine...

Used X79 quality board that supports 128GB ram - 150 USD
Ivy Brige 12 core 24T, Xeon E5-2697 v2 - 400 USD
64GB DDR3 (Total 96GB) - 100 USD
Cheap low latency card (Radeon 550?) - 130 USD
PCIe to four NVMe adapter, in PCIe 3 port for GPU - 100 USD
Two NVMe, total 2TB, to start with - 400 USD
Current SSD for Windows

More expensive (900 USD excluding NVMe storage) but more horse power and ram in one machine, no unknown China motherboard and one less machine to worry about. Enough performance for smaller orchestra music? Even skip the Mac Mini and only use one machine?

Or start with the 8 core Xeon E5 2689 for now and lower the cost with 300 USD. Enough CPU power for this work? Upgrade CPU later if needed...

Is there any recommended cheap fanless low latency graphics card? Second hand...?
YES!!

I have been waiting for someone to bring this up..
I tried 1 of each of the x79 based china boards

built 5 of those last spring; all of them worked and are still working. 2
sold to other people; haven't heard any different.

2 of them do support NVME; I can verify that. the others I think are stated as
supported and I haven't tried it.

The thing that sucks; is there is no overclocking of any kind because its a server chipset. And some of them took 2 1/2 months to arrive.

still have 3 of the 5 and still going strong. with 2667v2 2690v2 & 1607v2.

If you want to save some money; I would just get a used HP Z420, Z620, Z820 workstation. But make Shure its the 2013 boot block date!! those are
stated to support NVME and the E5 2600's v2's and 1600's V2 CPU's.
Another issue is I don't know which of the China boards support that amount of RAM. The 2 Z420's that I built have 8 ram slots but I think only support 64GB max.

I bought about 4 Z420's (2013 boot block date) last year With ram and video cards off Ebay all under @200 including shipping. killer deal!!!

You may want to opt for a Z620 or Z820 but the price jump is quite abit; there.

I would check into those first before buying a china board. Dell
has some good used LGA2011 workstations too...

You may want to wait just a few more weeks for Zen 2; its supposed to be
badA$$ ....
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Motherboard is too important to save money on. Buy a well known brand that is recommended by others that using it for audio. Of course some times YOU must be the guinea pig
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiseman View Post
YES!!

I have been waiting for someone to bring this up..
I tried 1 of each of the x79 based china boards

built 5 of those last spring; all of them worked and are still working. 2
sold to other people; haven't heard any different.

2 of them do support NVME; I can verify that. the others I think are stated as
supported and I haven't tried it.

The thing that sucks; is there is no overclocking of any kind because its a server chipset. And some of them took 2 1/2 months to arrive.

still have 3 of the 5 and still going strong. with 2667v2 2690v2 & 1607v2.

If you want to save some money; I would just get a used HP Z420, Z620, Z820 workstation. But make Shure its the 2013 boot block date!! those are
stated to support NVME and the E5 2600's v2's and 1600's V2 CPU's.
Another issue is I don't know which of the China boards support that amount of RAM. The 2 Z420's that I built have 8 ram slots but I think only support 64GB max.

I bought about 4 Z420's (2013 boot block date) last year With ram and video cards off Ebay all under @200 including shipping. killer deal!!!

You may want to opt for a Z620 or Z820 but the price jump is quite abit; there.

I would check into those first before buying a china board. Dell
has some good used LGA2011 workstations too...

You may want to wait just a few more weeks for Zen 2; its supposed to be
badA$$ ....
Thanks for the answer.

What is your experience of the China boards? How is the NVMe performance? Any issues? What processors did you use? Did you compare performance between systems only changing the motherboard?

HP Z420 support max 64GB. Taking a deeper look, but more expensive here.

Have been looking at Ryzen but Threadripper has latency issues. Also Ryzen? Zen 2 platform has same as Threadripper cores in separate packages. Will it create latency? Cost for the 16 core will be 750 USD. Scanproaudio have to test it. Microsoft did a update to Windows recently to reduce some latency if memory is correct. Maybe that helps for DAW machines? Ryzen 16 core with thunderbolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskeladden View Post
Motherboard is too important to save money on. Buy a well known brand that is recommended by others that using it for audio. Of course some times YOU must be the guinea pig
I am aware of that but in this situation for us they are an alternative. They are in the area of to good to be true... Asking others here of their experience of them. If we had more money a new system that supports Intels 18 core would be out alternative with Thunderbolt.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

IF the Ryzen 3960x with the latest win 10 build has adressed some of the short comings of the past generation chips then I can see this becoming THE DAW product of the year. I'm looking forward to Pete Kaine's test in a few months time, very exciting.

The new threadripper top of the line CPU will be a 64 core/128 thread monster!!!!

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amd-r...quIOYPOd2mEjyr

M
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Ryzen 3950x wont be available until September, whilst all the other newly announced chips are in July 7th, the Windows update will not address the issues, alone, you will need the forthcoming chipset driver too.

I am too looking at building new PC (currently have i5 4460), and seriously considering the new Ryzen chips, will wait til 3rd party reviews come in from July
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Kaine View Post
Sorry, I'm mixing up my boards it seems.

Ok, what I can say is that there various different controllers, we're currently on Titanridge and Alpine Ridge predated it. There were more cards before that but they didn't have official Windows support.

Both Alpine and Titan are fully TB3 cards and they've not made TB 2 cards in maybe 3 or 4 years now. If Antelope is suggesting you get a TB 2 card, they are asking something that is going to be pretty hard to achieve.

Most firms will recommend either the Apple or Startech converters (TB3 to TB2 converters), but rarely both of them, so maybe get them to tell you which one works better for them.

It might be worth checking what controller is on the board. If it's Titan then try Alpine or vice versa.

No worries. Asus tech support seems to have a hell of a time figuring out what model I'm talking about and they make it.

I've tried both the apple and star tech adapters, no difference.

I'm sort getting close to the point where I struggle through a little while longer on Antelope's not great USB 2.0 drivers then sell this thing and go back to RME (where I likely should have stayed).

However I'm interested by your last comment. I have Alpine Ridge listed on the bios as an optional enable, but is there a way to try a Titan ridge controller somehow? would it be a firmware update? I assume Id have to disable alpine ridge in the bios. yes?

thanks
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
If the thunderbolt don't show up in Device Manager it's not a thunderbolt 3-2 adapter issue. If you tried out all the advise I gave you it is probably a faulty motherboard (Did you uinstall the NVM hard drive from the Device Manager and then shut down pc and take the NVM SSD out? One other thing see if the Thunderbolt controller appears when you use Show Hidden Devices in View in Device Manager).
A couple of more things you should do:

1) Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode in the BIOS should be set as DISABLED. (I don't know if this is on your Asus boards)
2) Clean install of thunderbolt:

Install Thunderbolt driver first, then thunderbolt firmware

3) I have attached my complete bios thunderbolt setting. Especially pay attention to: AIC Location Group and AIC Location.

Should not be that difficult to get the native thunderbolt to work. My advice is to use the warranty, and not waste anymore time or energy on it.
Hey sorry to miss this, was on a gig that took up a lotta time. (I of course had to do it on USB 2.0 )

I'm going to give this all a close look in the Bios and give it another try.

The main thing that seems to happen now, besides it not working, is it cuts out my GPU whever the cable is plugged in. (doesn't matter what slot its in, or what GPU is in there from what I have to test) This makes me think its trying to utilize the Antelope as a display, which would make some sense as that's what the thunderbolt is often used for. This did not happen the few times i had the UAD Arrow plugged in as it was Thunderbolt 3 native.

Since the mobo functions on TB3 and in all other ways I do think it just hates these adapters and the interface. probably don't want to tear the whole system apart to try for a warranty. I may just continue along with substandard USB 2.0 drivers for a while and then sell the Antelope. Go back to RME where I probably should have stayed.

we will see. I will tell how it worked for the general knowledge bank. thank you for your suggestions on this!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
The main thing that seems to happen now, besides it not working, is it cuts out my GPU whever the cable is plugged in. (doesn't matter what slot its in, or what GPU is in there from what I have to test) This makes me think its trying to utilize the Antelope as a display, which would make some sense as that's what the thunderbolt is often used for. This did not happen the few times i had the UAD Arrow plugged in as it was Thunderbolt 3 native.

Since the mobo functions on TB3 and in all other ways I do think it just hates these adapters and the interface. probably don't want to tear the whole system apart to try for a warranty. I may just continue along with substandard USB 2.0 drivers for a while and then sell the Antelope. Go back to RME where I probably should have stayed.
On this motherboard Thunderbolt should work out of the box so it's strange.
Since you suspect maybe something is up with your GPU pull it out and use internal graphics and flash you bios one more time and don't change anything in bios.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say:
Quote:
Since the mobo functions on TB3 and in all other ways I do think it just hates these adapters and the interface.
I was pretty sure the Thunderbolt controller showed up in Device Manager regardless if the adapter and interface was connected but I was wrong. It must be connected to show up. So yes the adapter is very important. Maybe I have asked you this before but what adapter do you use? Be sure you have these:
StarTech Thunderbolt cable 2M (TBOLTMM2MW)
StarTech Thunderbolt 3 TO Thunderbolt 2 adapter (TBT3TBTADAP)

What you can try after bios flash and pulling the GPU is to try and force start the service. Connect both adapter and interface to your pc, and restart pc. Then go to services and take note of the service name:

Then open Command Prompt as admin, and do this (fill in service name and PID):

You find the PID number in task manager:

As to if the Thunderbolt is Alpine ridge or Titan ridge I'm unsure. What does it say in bios, see attachment:
Attached Thumbnails
The "today we build our studio pc" thread-bios.alpine.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
The new threadripper top of the line CPU will be a 64 core/128 thread monster!!!!
I'm not optimistic on that one given how poor most sequencers seem to be above 40 threads. Still, the 16/32 AMD is the one that has my interest the most going in, that's for sure.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not optimistic on that one given how poor most sequencers seem to be above 40 threads. Still, the 16/32 AMD is the one that has my interest the most going in, that's for sure.
Pete, yes that would make sense, I don't think the software Dev's have caught up yet with the sudden jump in these massive cored CPU's.

As I said previously the new ryzen 16/32 looks like it may be a really great sweet spot for us all.

M
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
However I'm interested by your last comment. I have Alpine Ridge listed on the bios as an optional enable / I assume Id have to disable alpine ridge in the bios. yes?
Titanridge is newer than most of the current generation mainboards, so that wouldn't make sense given it came out 6 months after the BIOS was written. I'm pretty sure that Titanridge controller box in BIOS is supposed to be used on Alpine and above, as opposed to Falcon Ridge which was the older TB2 controllers.

I say "pretty sure" as I've never actually got that setting to do anything in the real world.

Quote:
but is there a way to try a Titan ridge controller somehow? would it be a firmware update?
Buy an add-in card and pop it in there. Otherwise, no, it's not as easy as a firmware update.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

Buy an add-in card and pop it in there.
As far as I can see the Asus Prime X299 Deluxe II does not have a thunderbolt header so a add in card will not work. And why spend $70 on a thing that should be native on the motherboard. This motherboard needs to be sent to Asus for warranty
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
As far as I can see the Asus Prime X299 Deluxe II does not have a thunderbolt header so an add-in card will not work. And why spend $70 on a thing that should be native on the motherboard. This motherboard needs to be sent to Asus for warranty
That makes sense, I really should pay more attention to the boards I have on the desk it seems. That and I was being a touch facetious with my response and apparently put my foot in it, in the process.

Until proven otherwise, I'm willing to give Asus the benefit of the doubt tbh, I'd want proof that the Antelope is working on another system before speaking to Asus.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
That makes sense, I really should pay more attention to the boards I have on the desk it seems. That and I was being a touch facetious with my response and apparently put my foot in it, in the process.

Until proven otherwise, I'm willing to give Asus the benefit of the doubt tbh, I'd want proof that the Antelope is working on another system before speaking to Asus.
When I say warranty I take for granted that he has the right adapter and cable. "All" should know that StarTech Thunderbolt 3 TO Thunderbolt 2 adapter (TBT3TBTADAP) is the safe thing for pc and the Antelope page says Apple Thunderbolt™ Cable but I would think StarTech Thunderbolt cable 2M (TBOLTMM2MW) would work but you never know.
One other thing I noticed from the Antelope site was that in addition to the Antelope Audio Windows Thunderbolt™ Driver you also need the Antelope Launcher.
Strange but I thought Delusionboy had a UA thunderbolt interface cause I think I saw a UA thunderbolt driver when I looked at his Windows .nfo file. If he has installed the UA driver on the Antelope then that would explain a lot. Wish it was that easy to fix
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
No worries. Asus tech support seems to have a hell of a time figuring out what model I'm talking about and they make it.

OMG - The same here. Asus tech support has really gone downhill lately. their first-level techs all seem to be near-clueless. they literally don't know that certain products even exist, let alone the tech behind them.

Sadly, you can no longer speak to a second-level tech unless you own one of their products. So, no chance of learning much about TB, DMA implementation, cpu overhead, etc.

I've literally given up trying.
--------------------------------

FWIW, The Asus Prime X299 Deluxe II definitely have an onboard TB chip. (dual lane)

Sadly, there are reports all over the internet about nightmare problems with this board, concerning specifically its TB functionality, including audio cards dropping the connection for no reason.
Good lord .......
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Im about to embark on building new PC, current PC is an i5 4460, which is an HP Pavilion. This new one will be built by me, cant decide between a new i5 build or Ryzen, seems to be a lot of conflicting benchmarks and lots of miffling twaddle. As a new build, im open to either, as need new motherboard whichever path I choose. Any help or suggestions, trying to keep to budget of about £400 for motherboard and cpu
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goony View Post
Im about to embark on building new PC, current PC is an i5 4460, which is an HP Pavilion. This new one will be built by me, cant decide between a new i5 build or Ryzen, seems to be a lot of conflicting benchmarks and lots of miffling twaddle. As a new build, im open to either, as need new motherboard whichever path I choose. Any help or suggestions, trying to keep to budget of about £400 for motherboard and cpu
It's hard to know what to believe, but virtually all serious reports tend to agree that, while AMD wins the 'cycles per dollar" war, their Ryzen cpu's are quite bad at per-core speed, which is critical for low latency DAWs.

Ryzen is also well-documented to have lousy ability to allow for small HW buffers.

Is this absolutely true? I dunno, but it certainly seems so.
IMO, intel is currently still the only way to go for DAW use.
---------------------

Now, whether to go with a high end i9, or a dual Xeon rig, that's another discussion.
I personally lean towards an OC'd i9, but I'm not 100% certain that's best any longer. It certainly is more cost effective, though.

Why on Earth would you be considering an i5?

Last edited by speerchucker; 3 weeks ago at 01:55 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goony View Post
Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X (has a thunderbolt header) $145
Intel Core i5-9600K $230

Ryzen; no thunderbolt, no internal graphic, issues with some midi
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by speerchucker View Post
It's hard to know what to believe, but virtually all serious reports tend to agree that, while AMD wins the 'cycles per dollar" war, their Ryzen cpu's are quite bad at per-core speed
That's just the wrong way to look at it and misses the point in my opinion.

Quote:
Ryzen is also well-documented to have lousy ability to allow for small HW buffers.

Is this absolutely true? I dunno, but it certainly seems so.
No, it's absolutely not true. "Lousy" is a very strong word and should be reserved for CPUs that really have "lousy" ability to work at small buffers.

Just because Intel chip X performs better than Ryzen chip Y doesn't mean Y is "lousy". If that was the case then there are a million Intel CPUs that are equally lousy, because they perform as lousily or worse than Ryzen Y.

Put together a budget. Get the best value for money. Period. If it's an Inte CPU, then that's what it is. If it's a Ryzen then that's what it is.

Quote:
IMO, intel is currently still the only way to go for DAW use.
Pure nonsense, in my opinion.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ryzen; no thunderbolt,
Some thunderbolt now.

Thunderbolt included in the next generation launching in about two weeks.

Quote:
no internal graphic
A drawback for those that need it, agreed.

Quote:
issues with some midi
???

And no Intel chips have issues with Midi ever? Just like they don't have issues with Thunderbolt?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Some thunderbolt now.

Thunderbolt included in the next generation launching in about two weeks.
he wants to spend £400 for motherboard and cpu so next generation that nobody has tested is out of the question.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
he wants to spend £400 for motherboard and cpu so next generation that nobody has tested is out of the question.
Does he need Thunderbolt?

Can he wait until it has been tested?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search