The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The "today we build our studio pc" thread
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

OK so the Ryzen 3900X has no integrated graphics. Some x570 motherboards provide two HDMI outputs and one DP output, how does that add up?

Edit: OK I see, *some* Ryzen CPUs have integrated graphics, but apparently not the high-end ones, which are the ones that interest me. Ideally I don't want a dedicated graphics card. Even if an adequate graphics card is very cheap, I want to keep my system as simple as possible, so this tips the scales in favour of Intel for me.

Last edited by Scoox; 11th June 2019 at 06:24 PM..
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Kaine View Post
Sorry, which board is this? I was following the thread and someone mentioned you had the Asus Deluxe 2? That doesn't have TB onboard, so I'm a little confused at this point.

Which model do you have?
I have the Asus Prime X299 Deluxe II - it definitely has thunderbolt 3 built in, looking right at it. the version one of this board which is very similar does not have it built in.

I'm actually considering getting the add on thunderbolt card though, as it might help my problem which seems to be a thunderbolt 3-2 adapter conflict issue.
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delusionboy View Post
I have the Asus Prime X299 Deluxe II - it definitely has thunderbolt 3 built in, looking right at it. the version one of this board which is very similar does not have it built in.

I'm actually considering getting the add on thunderbolt card though, as it might help my problem which seems to be a thunderbolt 3-2 adapter conflict issue.
If the thunderbolt don't show up in Device Manager it's not a thunderbolt 3-2 adapter issue. If you tried out all the advise I gave you it is probably a faulty motherboard (Did you uinstall the NVM hard drive from the Device Manager and then shut down pc and take the NVM SSD out? One other thing see if the Thunderbolt controller appears when you use Show Hidden Devices in View in Device Manager).
A couple of more things you should do:

1) Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode in the BIOS should be set as DISABLED. (I don't know if this is on your Asus boards)
2) Clean install of thunderbolt:
Quote:
First you need to uninstall thunderbolt 3 software and the foundation driver, but for this you must disable all Thunderbolt in BIOS, otherwise you cannot uninstall TB3 etc. After you have cleaned the previous faulty installation/setting, you can re-enable TB3 in BIOS, and re-install the software according to the installation guide.
Install Thunderbolt driver first, then thunderbolt firmware

3) I have attached my complete bios thunderbolt setting. Especially pay attention to: AIC Location Group and AIC Location.

Should not be that difficult to get the native thunderbolt to work. My advice is to use the warranty, and not waste anymore time or energy on it.
Attached Thumbnails
The "today we build our studio pc" thread-thunder.bios.jpg  
Old 12th June 2019
Deleted 5edf3fa
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
I'm a solid Intel person because I've been at this since the early 80's and in my experience those who had the most problems were the ones running non Intel chips be it Cyrix, AMD, whatever.

However, if AMD can offer low DPC and superior low latency for VSTi in their soon to be released chips, I'm all ears! Literally
That's what *I*need to be happy and move off the Intel wagon.

Other people have different criteria and I get that.

Competition is great for all of us!
My last AMD cpu was some Athlon in early 2000 or something. All my PCs (a few) are Intel. But they're also old.

I also don't upgrade often. Maybe once every 10 years. I want to buy the best CPU I can now because I want it to last me a decade.

I have several unfinished mixes now (and piling up) because I've been running out of CPU power on my DAW PC. So I need the upgrade as bad as everyone else in this thread but I want to do it right. Don't want to rush and then kick myself for not waiting another week.

I'll probably go with 12-core AMD unless tests suggest that AMD promises don't match reality and Intel is a better choice. I'm not Intel or AMD guy, I don't care about CPU brands and stuff like that, I just want to run the most plugins I can possibly can per dollar.

I don't do live multiple-channel recording (besides vocals) so I don't care about latency at all.
Old 12th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuieve View Post
My last AMD cpu was some Athlon in early 2000 or something. All my PCs (a few) are Intel. But they're also old.

I also don't upgrade often. Maybe once every 10 years. I want to buy the best CPU I can now because I want it to last me a decade.

I have several unfinished mixes now (and piling up) because I've been running out of CPU power on my DAW PC. So I need the upgrade as bad as everyone else in this thread but I want to do it right. Don't want to rush and then kick myself for not waiting another week.

I'll probably go with 12-core AMD unless tests suggest that AMD promises don't match reality and Intel is a better choice. I'm not Intel or AMD guy, I don't care about CPU brands and stuff like that, I just want to run the most plugins I can possibly can per dollar.

I don't do live multiple-channel recording (besides vocals) so I don't care about latency at all.
You do realize that the latency issue reaches beyond live multi-channel recording? As an example it also affects the situation when you have a lot of tracks with CPU-heavy plugins and you want to record an extra midi track.

I ask because you earlier cited benchmarks like Cinebench which has close to zero relevance in the DAW world. Just wanted to make sure you know this
Old 12th June 2019
Deleted 5edf3fa
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedberg View Post
You do realize that the latency issue reaches beyond live multi-channel recording? As an example it also affects the situation when you have a lot of tracks with CPU-heavy plugins and you want to record an extra midi track.

I ask because you earlier cited benchmarks like Cinebench which has close to zero relevance in the DAW world. Just wanted to make sure you know this
They're just for overall performance. Math is math, I understand particular tests may differ and sway into one side or the other but I don't expect much difference.

I'm not familiar with this this latency issue a lot. Is latency on Ryzen 2 (not even talking about 3) worse than, say, i5-4xx0? I mean Ryzen is probably 10x faster but does it hiccup more than i5?

I've never noticed any problem with my ancient i5 even when my asio meter is close to 100%.

And yes I use plugins like Mixhub and PSP.

I'm mostly mixing. For regular composing (MIDI, VSTi) I always used the same plugins from like 2008 and I had some 1-2 core Pentium or something and never had problems. If there were any hiccups I either didn't notice them or didn't care to notice. To me personally this is a complete non-issue.
Old 12th June 2019
Quote:
They're just for overall performance. Math is math, I understand particular tests may differ and sway into one side or the other but I don't expect much difference.

I'm not familiar with this this latency issue a lot. Is latency on Ryzen 2 (not even talking about 3) worse than, say, i5-4xx0? I mean Ryzen is probably 10x faster but does it hiccup more than i5?

I've never noticed any problem with my ancient i5 even when my asio meter is close to 100%.

And yes I use plugins like Mixhub and PSP.

I'm mostly mixing. For regular composing (MIDI, VSTi) I always used the same plugins from like 2008 and I had some 1-2 core Pentium or something and never had problems. If there were any hiccups I either didn't notice them or didn't care to notice. To me personally this is a complete non-issue.
As others have said: wise to wait for DAWbench results. It’s the best indicator we have. They may well show that AMD is great for some use cases but I’ll bet you a beer that the differences won’t be close to what the market pre-leaks indicate
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
As others have said: wise to wait for DAWbench results. It’s the best indicator we have. They may well show that AMD is great for some use cases but I’ll bet you a beer that the differences won’t be close to what the market pre-leaks indicate
What differences? The ones AMD showed as percentages?

As far as I can see for those who don't need low latency work AMD had the best price/performance in several price brackets with Zen and Zen+. I don't see how that won't continue to be the case.

I'll likely be home in Stockholm in August, so if that's the case a beer's on me if I'm wrong... if the offer extends to me :-)
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

It's certainly going to be interesting to see. AMD know what their weakness was regarding latency and from the press release they seem to be addressing that. I would imagine the huge cache will help and also the other improvements.

Also the new security patches required for INTEL might start to have a performance impact vs AMD

M
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
...Also the new security patches required for INTEL might start to have a performance impact vs AMD
M
I don't consider them required. Without getting into the technical details, my position is that its not the job of the cpu to save you if you have a virus or rootkit on your system, and that the cpu inter-process protections help mitigate program bugs rather than an effective malware protection scheme.

Since the patches involve reducing the effectiveness of the predictive look ahead instruction processing, they by necessity do have a performance impact. I have yet to find any reliable information on that in terms of percent of slowdown, and I also have yet to find a documented instance of the look-ahead instruction exploits to have been exploited in the real world.

For a vendor hosting multiple processes in a vm type envionment, this exploit may be more relevant--again, not seen any documentation on that either. All I see is anecdotes, mostly second hand, and speculation.

Just putting out a second perspective on this.

Last edited by ponzi; 12th June 2019 at 07:47 PM..
Old 12th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
What differences? The ones AMD showed as percentages?

As far as I can see for those who don't need low latency work AMD had the best price/performance in several price brackets with Zen and Zen+. I don't see how that won't continue to be the case.

I'll likely be home in Stockholm in August, so if that's the case a beer's on me if I'm wrong... if the offer extends to me :-)
Haha. I'll extend the offer to any gearslut in Stockholm in August
Old 13th June 2019
Deleted 5edf3fa
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook View Post
It's certainly going to be interesting to see. AMD know what their weakness was regarding latency and from the press release they seem to be addressing that. I would imagine the huge cache will help and also the other improvements.

Also the new security patches required for INTEL might start to have a performance impact vs AMD

M
A few posts above I posted an article which describes (as far as I understand) Windows releasing a patch that fixes said latency? Or some other latency. There's definitely words "cores" and "latency" in there for those who care.

Security is not important if you NEVER browse internet with your DAW PC (or any PC), otherwise it's kind of an issue. You may never get a virus from it or you may get it the Day 1.

At least with AMD you can afford not to even think about it.
Old 13th June 2019
Deleted 5edf3fa
Another leak for those seeking ultimate performance about 16-core Ryzen ($750):

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-9-395...ore-i9-9980xe/

Note: Pre-production sample with reduced clocks:

Quote:
"Coming straight to the benchmark scores, the chip scored 5868 points in single-core and 61072 points in multi-core performance tests. To put things into perspective, the Ryzen Threadripper 2950X scores around 4800 points in single and 38000 points in multi-core tests on average. The AMD Ryzen Threadripper part has 16 cores and costs $899 US. The Intel Core i9-9980XE on the other hand scores around 5300 points in single and 42000 points in multi-core performance test and has 18 cores with a retail price of $2000 US.
Old 13th June 2019
Quote:
Haha. I'll extend the offer to any gearslut in Stockholm in August
Very tempting, but I don't think I can justify the flight to my wife for a beer with a few Gearslutz...

Quote:
Another leak for those seeking ultimate performance about 16-core Ryzen ($750):

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-9-395...ore-i9-9980xe/

Note: Pre-production sample with reduced clocks:
Geekbench, the most worthless benchmark of all...
Not bashing AMD or you, but Geekbench has so many factors not relevant for realtime audio performance, it does not tell us anything.

Leave Geekbench values to the geeks...
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Hey folks, I am about ready to rebuild my ancient studio pc (intel Q9650 and 4 gigs of ram) and upgrade from pro tools 9.3 to the current version. I am using a MOTU 1248 and would like to use the Thunderbolt port, my Sweetwater rep says they have a converter cable to go from thunderbolt 2 to USB C that works well.
I have a 4 rack space iStar case.
Please take a look and help me with this build, here are the parts I am considering. I have only built one pc and it was a long time ago so any help with this is much appreciated!!!
CPU
Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler
Noctua - NH-D14 64.95 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard
Gigabyte - Z390 DESIGNARE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory
G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage
Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage
Western Digital - Black NVMe 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage
Western Digital - Black NVMe 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card
Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Windforce OC Video Card
Power Supply
Corsair - RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive
LG - UH12NS40 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer
Operating System
Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Case Fan
Noctua - NF-F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm Fan
Case Fan
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Not bashing AMD or you, but Geekbench has so many factors not relevant for realtime audio performance, it does not tell us anything. ...
I am considering a build based on the 3950X. Which testing routines or suites should I pay attention to?
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Very tempting, but I don't think I can justify the flight to my wife for a beer with a few Gearslutz...

Not bashing AMD or you, but Geekbench has so many factors not relevant for realtime audio performance, it does not tell us anything.

Leave Geekbench values to the geeks...
Your correct as usual; sir...but for me I find it useful.

It is a way to see a rough increase and advancements made in performance
between CPU's. In all of my testing; the higher Single-core/ Multi-core in
geekbench directly correlated to real-time audio performance and the amount
of VSTi's and FX that I could run at what buffer setting I was using.
You're right; it's not a good indicator for everything; but it helps gauge
a lot of things from overall system health, price vs performance comparisons,
overclocking performance ...ect you get my point here...

I used it a lot when buying CPU's off Ebay to see how balanced the speed
was to the offered price. A quick guide to see if I could use it or resell it.

So, In my view in not a worthless benchmarking tool at all. And like
you said, its not the full picture of audio performance, but in my experience
the results were pretty much what you would expect; better single/multi score
better DAW performance...
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaGary View Post
I am considering a build based on the 3950X. Which testing routines or suites should I pay attention to?
Our very own member and regular poster in this thread Pete from scan audio will likely run his audio benchmarks as soon as he can. Hopefully as soon as the CPU are released, i.e. July for the 3900x and September for the 3950x. Just keep your eye on this thread
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulreed View Post
I am using a MOTU 1248 and would like to use the Thunderbolt port, my Sweetwater rep says they have a converter cable to go from thunderbolt 2 to USB C that works well.
CPU
Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler
Noctua - NH-D14 64.95 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard
Gigabyte - Z390 DESIGNARE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory
G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage
Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage
Western Digital - Black NVMe 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage
Western Digital - Black NVMe 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card
Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Windforce OC Video Card
Power Supply
Corsair - RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive
LG - UH12NS40 Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer
Operating System
Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Case Fan
Case Fan
Looks pretty good, here are a couple of suggestion:
CPU:
Intel Core i9-9900K Processor

CPU cooler
Noctua NH-D15

Storage:
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB SSD
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD

For Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter/cable:
StarTech Thunderbolt Cable 2M (TBOLTMM2MW)
StarTech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter (TBT3TBTADAP)

Do a proper research if MOTU 1248 have a thunderbolt 2 port. Thunderbolt 1 port don't work on Gigabyte - Z390 DESIGNARE

Edit:
Noctua NH-D15 and NH-D14 will only fit in minimum a mid-tower case. I recommend:
Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Addict

don't think Noctua NH-D14 or NH-D15 will fit in the iStar,
using the MOBO tray only makes things worse.
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by throbert View Post
don't think Noctua NH-D15 will fit in the iStar,
using the MOBO tray only makes things worse.
You are right I did not see that he wanted to use a 4 rack space iStar case. I think NH-D15 and NH-D14 will only fit in minimum a mid-tower case. I recommend:
Old 13th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulreed View Post
Hey folks, I am about ready to rebuild my ancient studio pc (intel Q9650 and 4 gigs of ram) and upgrade from pro tools 9.3 to the current version. I am using a MOTU 1248 and would like to use the Thunderbolt port, my Sweetwater rep says they have a converter cable to go from thunderbolt 2 to USB C that works well.
I have a 4 rack space iStar case.
Please take a look and help me with this build, here are the parts I am considering. I have only built one pc and it was a long time ago so any help with this is much appreciated!!!

Samsung is TOP, but a bit too expensive and I am not sure if I like the Western Digital Blacks.
For $280 you can buy a 2TB NVMe SSD Corsair MP510
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/L7J...d-f1920gbmp510
and install everything there, we do not need a separate SSD for the
OS/progs/samples, else for some backup scheme like partition/disk image
because it is not practical if it is a 2 TB partition full of data...
Here I create a disk image(Macrium Reflect) from the OS/program disk and
file backup of the DATA(big) disk, we can remedy the situation by creating
2 partitions in the BIG NVMe SSD, one small for the OS/prog and the big
one for the rest.

For backup with external drive, ICY DOCK DuoSwap MB971SP-B

For audio I prefer AMD, see why here.
For the price of 1050 ti you can get https://pcpartpicker.com/product/GnZ...z-ex-rx570-o8g
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskeladden View Post
You are right I did not see that he wanted to use a 4 rack space iStar case. I think NH-D15 and NH-D14 will only fit in minimum a mid-tower case. I recommend:
It's a bit envolved but I know how to build a 5U case that those coolers
will fit in, or you can have a bump out fabricated on to the lid of a 4U
case. I had the work done to build a 5U case that allowed me to use
more quiet 140mm fans
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by throbert View Post
It's a bit envolved but I know how to build a 5U case that those coolers
will fit in, or you can have a bump out fabricated on to the lid of a 4U
case. I had the work done to build a 5U case that allowed me to use
more quiet 140mm fans
I guess you can do some custom work to get it to fit.
Old 14th June 2019
Here for the gear

This might be helpful for some people. I built this about a year ago and is still running great. It passed the Latency Monitor test (Resplendence.com) with no problems.

-3.70 gigahertz Intel Core i7-8700K, which EASILY overclocks to 5 Ghz without breaking a sweat, and without water cooling.

-Using Noctua NH-D15, Premium CPU Cooler with 2x NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fans. Very quiet. Only problem is don't forget to install RAM before mounting this monster as it cover up 2 of the 4 RAM slots.

-ASRock Z370 Extreme4, which has a slot for a Thunderbolt 3 AIC which they also make ($82). Has 3rd Gen USB C port on back panel. Two M.2 SSD slots (currently have a 1TB SSD in one of them). Never had a problem with this board. It comes with AI tuning, a desktop app with 3 cpu speed settings. I run 5Ghz for games and Cubase 10, then switch to 'Economy Power' for web surfing or when it's sitting at idle (I leave it on all day).

-2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-lighting RAM DDR4 3000.

-GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti DirectX 12 GV-N108TAORUS X-11GD 11GB. Oddly enough, this monster card is STILL at the same high price from a year ago because of bitcoin miners.
Old 14th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskeladden View Post
I guess you can do some custom work to get it to fit.
the case was from Par Metal I worked with them to spec the face and they
fabricated it. I used the rear from an old case that I had and had a 1U
spacer made and added. Had the MOBO mountings graphed in, but I
could of bought a rear face and a MOBO mounting tray from iStar. Still
would have had to get a 1U spacer though. Oh yea, I had Par fab me a
shelf and brackets to allow it to be removable for the drive racks up front
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't buy computers now, wait for Ryzen 3 tests, you guys are way overpaying now. Waaay too much. $600 for CPU that will be easily beaten by a $300 Ryzen one?

Intel purchases now makes no sense.
That doesn't take into account all factors though. I for one am not entirely convinced the Ryzen 3900x is going to be what we all ideally would want it to be. The more I read the more I see the i9-9900 as the better all-rounder. X570 motherboards reportedly will be significantly pricier than z390 equivalents, and still make no guarantees about DPC latency. To that we need to add the cost of a dedicated GPU since high-end Ryzen CPUs don't have integrated graphics which, besides the unavoidable X570 chipset fan, brings yet another tiny screaming fan into the mix—neither of which are a requirement with the i9-9900k if you use Intel's integrated graphics (which should be more than plenty for audio work). Also, Intel provides built-in Thunderbolt and IMO a better selection of I/O. Expect DPC latency results to take quite a while to crop up and possibly poor real-time audio performance across the board of X570. I just wish manufactures would pay due importance to DPC latency; whoever does it first will surely win the hearts of the audio community.
Old 14th June 2019
Deleted 5edf3fa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
That doesn't take into account all factors though. I for one am not entirely convinced the Ryzen 3900x is going to be what we all ideally would want it to be. The more I read the more I see the i9-9900 as the better all-rounder. X570 motherboards reportedly will be significantly pricier than z390 equivalents, and still make no guarantees about DPC latency. To that we need to add the cost of a dedicated GPU since high-end Ryzen CPUs don't have integrated graphics which, besides the unavoidable X570 chipset fan, brings yet another tiny screaming fan into the mix—neither of which are a requirement with the i9-9900k if you use Intel's integrated graphics (which should be more than plenty for audio work). Also, Intel provides built-in Thunderbolt and IMO a better selection of I/O. Expect DPC latency results to take quite a while to crop up and possibly poor real-time audio performance across the board of X570. I just wish manufactures would pay due importance to DPC latency; whoever does it first will surely win the hearts of the audio community.
Sounds like you're just trying to rationalize Intel purchase to me.

You can stick Ryzen3 into any current mobo, you don't need X570. $50 will do it for some decent B450 mobo.

Latency - it should be eradicated if what is said in all reports is true. May be not, but I will be very surprised if this is an issue anymore.

There are tons of fan-less videocards for like $10-20. You're buying a $500 CPU and a $20 videocard is a problem for you? You have to buy a fan for 9900k and that's definitely more than extra $20. AMDs come with a good fan.

Btw, 9900k won't match 3900x. 3800x is its competitor, not 3900x. 3900x competes with 12-core Intel 9920 or whatever it is.
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/wi...formance-boost

Interesting news today. Windows May build has specific AMD instructions giving percentage boost over intel.

M
Old 14th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 5edf3fa View Post
Sounds like you're just trying to rationalize Intel purchase to me.
Not quite, I'm trying to rationalize a waiting for greener Ryzen pasturses vs having a known tried-and-tested working rig now. I did buy an i9-9900K and z390 miniITX mobo but I returned them two days ago because the hype surrounding Ryzen was too tempting. Now I have no rig at all, just a horrid Surface Pro 4 I'm typing this on.

Quote:
You can stick Ryzen3 into any current mobo, you don't need X570. $50 will do it for some decent B450 mobo.
Aren't there any drawbacks? Surely the higher end motherboards (and not necessarily the ones with fancy RGB nonsense) do a better job at power delivery, are more configurable, use better components, etc. I don't mind using x470 as I won't benefit from PCI Express 4.0 but I've been looking through the available x470 miniITX boards and the options are disappointing, and also more expensive than top-of-the-range z390 miniITX boards.

Quote:
Latency - it should be eradicated if what is said in all reports is true. May be not, but I will be very surprised if this is an issue anymore.
I haven't seen any reports explicitly referring to DPC latency, in fact I'm not sure they even factor DPC latency in at all. In any case, DPC latency issues are usually caused by the motherboard, GPU and drivers.

Quote:
There are tons of fan-less videocards for like $10-20. You're buying a $500 CPU and a $20 videocard is a problem for you? You have to buy a fan for 9900k and that's definitely more than extra $20. AMDs come with a good fan.
Supporting up to 3 x 4K simultaneous displays?

Quote:
Btw, 9900k won't match 3900x. 3800x is its competitor, not 3900x. 3900x competes with 12-core Intel 9920 or whatever it is.
That's probably true, and the reason for this dilema—raw theoretical performance vs suitability for real-time audio work.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search