The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The "today we build our studio pc" thread Audio Interfaces
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskeladden View Post
maybe I have to turn off hyperthreading after all
RIP Hyper-Threading? ChromeOS axes key Intel CPU feature over data-leak flaws – Microsoft, Apple suggest snub
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/0...g_mitigations/
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnliquid View Post
Hi everyone,

1. A couple of things. Is the Corsair MP510 a good choice for OS? Is there a better SSD in terms of speed or for any other reason I’m not thinking of?
HP 920/950, ADATA XPG SX8200/PRO Gammix S11/ S11 Pro can be faster, but
the Corsair have a bigger endurance guarantee and is fast enough.
Also read The "today we build our studio pc" thread
Quote:
2. The MB only has one HDMI output for a display monitor. I ideally want to run a dual monitor set up. Is there a way of getting two monitors running with this motherboard or can someone recommend a cheap graphics card? I’ve heard that graphics card drivers can mess up DAWs so defo want to avoid that.
Get AMD 500 series, one with the proper ports.
DPC latency better with AMD graphic cards (3 card comparison)

Quote:
3. Any other things you guys can think of that I may be missing?
The Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER is excellent, but seems to have
a bigger incidence of coil whine, so change to the Ultra or the Designare
with built in Thunderbolt port.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks so much for getting back to me .

Interesting re: coil whine on the MB. It says here that the Designare MB can support three displays at the same time: https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherbo...NARE-rev-10#sp

I'm guessing i wouldnt need a graphics card in this scenario?

Also, would be happy going with this RAM yourself?

Memory: Kingston HyperX Predator 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Or would you opt for different RAM?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks so much for getting back to me .

Interesting re: coil whine on the MB. It says here that the Designare MB can support three displays at the same time: https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherbo...NARE-rev-10#sp

I'm guessing i wouldnt need a graphics card in this scenario?

Also, would be happy going with this RAM yourself?

Memory: Kingston HyperX Predator 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory

Or would you opt for different RAM?
You are welcome, the Designare have one HDMI port + 2 Thunderbolt ports, better check the manual or support...

I guess the RAM is ok.

Also, I would get a case with USB-C port
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/VNF...ca-def-r6c-bko
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Ok cool, I’ll look into whether I can run more than one monitor through it.

What RAM would you recommend as a better option?

I need a full tower as have to mount a pci to pcie adaptor inside... would you recommend another full tower?
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok cool, I’ll look into whether I can run more than one monitor through it.

What RAM would you recommend as a better option?

I need a full tower as have to mount a pci to pcie adaptor inside... would you recommend another full tower?
The RAM is ok http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList...are_181114.pdf

Maybe use the R6 case vertical thing...
I guess will not have space for the riser cable because the PSU is below.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Hey all! Curious to get some expert thoughts. I'm doing a new build, (scoring, heavy VSTI usuage, also heavy audio mixing etc. no video stuff) and have a decent budget this time out. Its not my first rodeo with building, done a few over the years. So I generally know the basics.

I'm looking for audio specific opinions on the best intel CPU for around $1500? (I'm in Canada so around $1100 USD), Most likely an X series and I'd grab the Asus Prime X299 deluxe II for it as I want solid onboard thunderbolt for my Orion interface.

I could get a I9-9900K for cheap and it would prob be great for awhile but I'm thinking id like this thing to last awhile and having options to upgrade the CPU in the future on the LGA 2066 socket is prob a good idea. I'm going to have too much to do in the next five years without constantly rebuilding my computer. ( but we all do kinda huh? ha)

I've been refreshing myself on this thread for the last couple days and there is quite a lot of specific opinions, just starting to get a bit mixed up with the confusing amount of models Intel currently has. So let me put this out there. Is there any processors in the X series around $1000-$1300 USD range that I should stay away from? (I will probably want to upgrade eventually to one of those 16 core 9960X beasts at some point, but maybe ill let the price drop off a bit first.)

Ill probably post the planned build before I buy (based on many of the hot tips I have read here this week, thank you) but the processor is the one thing I cant decide on. I might even spend more if there is REALLY good reason. Like convince me to buy the 16 core beast if you really believe in it.

thanks in advance.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

Tha is very much Pictus, great spot with the case! I’ll look into that, it’s one of the Sintech adapters so there is no riser - you can view it here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Home-Audi...der/B00KZHDSLQ

Tha is for sharing the ram document, have no idea what I’m looking at! You’ve said a couple of times that the ram is ‘ok’. His doesn’t fill me with confidence. Would you recommend faster ram? What ram would you recommend? Brand name and product or a link?

Thanks again!
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delusionboy View Post
Hey all! Curious to get some expert thoughts. I'm doing a new build, (scoring, heavy VSTI usuage, also heavy audio mixing etc. no video stuff) and have a decent budget this time out. Its not my first rodeo with building, done a few over the years. So I generally know the basics.

I'm looking for audio specific opinions on the best intel CPU for around $1500? (I'm in Canada so around $1100 USD), Most likely an X series and I'd grab the Asus Prime X299 deluxe II for it as I want solid onboard thunderbolt for my Orion interface.
Check https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/...bx80673i97940x
Quote:
I could get a I9-9900K for cheap and it would prob be great for awhile but I'm thinking id like this thing to last awhile and having options to upgrade the CPU in the future on the LGA 2066 socket is prob a good idea. I'm going to have too much to do in the next five years without constantly rebuilding my computer. ( but we all do kinda huh? ha)
Look:
https://techreport.com/review/34253/...cpu-reviewed/8
http://www.scanproaudio.info/2018/10...-lake-refresh/

--------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Tha is very much Pictus, great spot with the case! I’ll look into that, it’s one of the Sintech adapters so there is no riser - you can view it here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Home-Audi...der/B00KZHDSLQ
You are welcome, looks like it will fit.
Quote:
That is for sharing the ram document, have no idea what I’m looking at! You’ve said a couple of times that the ram is ‘ok’. His doesn’t fill me with confidence. Would you recommend faster ram? What ram would you recommend? Brand name and product or a link?
The PDF shows your RAM is compatible, for RAM speed check
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...ed,5951-7.html
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
Better go with Gigabyte Z390 Ultra or Designare if you do not plan to use
a Thunderbolt 1 audio interface
, Thunderbolt 2 or 3 is ok.
Say what what and a what what?

We can't use TB1 interfaces on the Designare?

So first firewire gets dropped (very popular choice for converters), then first gen Thunderbolt is getting screwed?
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Feeling pretty good about this lineup. Anyone see issues with anything here? I've been reading the thread pretty thoroughly and I feel like this is all good to go but maybe I missed something. I'm prob going to upgrade the CPU in a year or two when its cheaper, I think the same RAM and motherboard will allow me to crank it up at that point

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/del...y/saved/jTdQZL
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
Say what what and a what what?

We can't use TB1 interfaces on the Designare?

So first firewire gets dropped (very popular choice for converters), then first gen Thunderbolt is getting screwed?
If you check the link http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/6193...signare?page=9
will see that the new Titan Ridge chipset does not like TB 1 audio interfaces...
Some may work and some may not...
TB 2 or TB 3 = OK

If you plan to use a TB audio interface version 1 with a Z390 motherboard, get
ASUS/ASRock Z390 + the proper Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt card, make sure the
motherboard got the TB header.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delusionboy View Post
Feeling pretty good about this lineup. Anyone see issues with anything here? I've been reading the thread pretty thoroughly and I feel like this is all good to go but maybe I missed something. I'm prob going to upgrade the CPU in a year or two when its cheaper, I think the same RAM and motherboard will allow me to crank it up at that point

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/del...y/saved/jTdQZL
Looks OK to me.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you check the link http://forum.gigabyte.us/thread/6193...signare?page=9
will see that the new Titan Ridge chipset does not like TB 1 audio interfaces...
Some may work and some may not...
TB 2 or TB 3 = OK

If you plan to use a TB audio interface version 1 with a Z390 motherboard, get
ASUS/ASRock Z390 + the proper Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt card, make sure the
motherboard got the TB header.

Looks OK to me.
Hmmmmm...

I may be in the clear here for the designare.
My preferred interface is the Presonus Quantum 2 which the website says is TB2. It is very low latency on my laptop.
My older build on a LA2011 does not take TB and when I upgraded to Windows 10 it killed my Texas Instruments FW card (wouldn't even boot) so I have 3 decent FW interfaces here gathering dust.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmmmmm...

My preferred interface is the Presonus Quantum 2 which the website says is TB2. It is very low latency on my laptop.
My older build on a LA2011 does not take TB and when I upgraded to Windows 10 it killed my Texas Instruments FW card (wouldn't even boot) so I have 3 decent FW interfaces here gathering dust.
You need to use a card with the proper FW chipset, check the whole page(many posts)
The "today we build our studio pc" thread
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Syba SY-PEX30016 is a safe choice, or another card which uses either the TI XIO2213B or LSI/Agere FW643 chipset.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hmmmmm...

yes, Quantum has been confirmed by many to work on the Designare. If some of your FW interfaces has ADAT you can always use that through the Quantum
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
You need to use a card with the proper FW chipset, check the whole page(many posts)
The "today we build our studio pc" thread
Not interested. I was already using a Syba TI that was cleared for Windows 10.
I'd rather not install something else that will be dead on the next upgrade.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not interested. I was already using a Syba TI that was cleared for Windows 10.
I'd rather not install something else that will be dead on the next upgrade.
Was it XIO2200 (which does not work)? The XIO2213B chipset works perfectly with Windows 10. I'm not seeing EOL for Windows 10 in the near future and XIO2213B cards like the one I posted can be found for less than $20.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bass View Post
Was it XIO2200 (which does not work)? The XIO2213B chipset works perfectly with Windows 10. I'm not seeing EOL for Windows 10 in the near future and XIO2213B cards like the one I posted can be found for less than $20.
I was using this one: http://www.sybausa.com/index.php?rou...ch=SD-PEX30009

Followed all of the instructions. My computer was stuck on the splash screen for days while I was troubleshooting. I was able to boot after deleting the drivers they supplied. It does not leave me with a good impression of the future-proofing of Firewire devices, so I'm out.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was using this one: http://www.sybausa.com/index.php?rou...ch=SD-PEX30009

Followed all of the instructions. My computer was stuck on the splash screen for days while I was troubleshooting. I was able to boot after deleting the drivers they supplied. It does not leave me with a good impression of the future-proofing of Firewire devices, so I'm out.
IIRC, the PEX30009 uses the previous XIO2213A chipset, or at least the earlier versions did. My experience with the PEX30016 (XIO2213B) was totally plug-and-play... no drivers installed, just plugged the FW interfaces in and everything worked first try; lots of people are using this card with their existing FW devices without any issues. Makes me wonder if perhaps you got a bad card?
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
IIRC, the PEX30009 uses the previous XIO2213A chipset, or at least the earlier versions did. My experience with the PEX30016 (XIO2213B) was totally plug-and-play... no drivers installed, just plugged the FW interfaces in and everything worked first try; lots of people are using this card with their existing FW devices without any issues. Makes me wonder if perhaps you got a bad card?
Nope. The card worked previously on Win 7 and 8 with the Steinberg MR816x.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The PEX30016 is not plug and play on Windows 10:

"Supported Systems
Windows 98SE/ME/2000/Server 2003
Windows XP-32ibt/Xp-64bit
Windows Vista 32-bit/Vista-64bit
Windows 8 / 10 ( Require legacy Drivers)
Mac OS"

The legacy drivers are what crashed the donkey.
No boot = no FW.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The PEX30016 is not plug and play on Windows 10:
Perhaps I had the MS driver already installed from when I previously used an old TI PCI FW card? Regardless, FireWire audio works seamlessly with the PEX30016. No drama... just works.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Addict

Interesting stuff in regards to the Intel VS AMD debate:
Intel Loses 5X More Average Performance Than AMD From Mitigations: Report

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search