The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The "today we build our studio pc" thread
Old 12th May 2019
  #7981
Gear Addict
 
daskeladden's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klawy View Post
Thanks a lot mate! I'll definitely go for an i9 9900K and get a decent audio interface

I'll dig into forum threads about AI, I'm sure I'll find happiness.
Presonus Quantum/Presonus Quantum 2 is superfast and got great drivers for Windows. But if you want DSP plugins you have to choose something else. One other thing the Quantum is not standalone so it must go through your pc to work.
Old 12th May 2019
  #7982
Lives for gear
 
Pictus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rourou View Post
Thanks #Pictus

1. Just to clarify, do we not need a separate boot up ssd?
Not for performance concerns, but you may want a separate SSD
for some backup schemes like creating a disk image of the OS, it
is not practical if it is a 2 TB partition full of data...
Here I create a disk image(Macrium Reflect) from the OS/program disk and
file backup of the DATA(big) disk, we can remedy the situation by creating
2 partitions in the BIG NVMe SSD, one small for the OS/prog and the big
one for the rest.

Quote:
2. The computer shop does not have Noctuas, only CM, corsair, asus rog, cryorig, deep cool, thermaltake, nzct, etc
I'll try to get online

Appreciate the comments
I'm glad to help, the i-9900K can get very hot, a good cooler is not enough...
We should look for a very good cooler, the top ones like the Noctua NH-D15.
Old 12th May 2019
  #7983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klawy View Post
Thanks a lot mate! I'll definitely go for an i9 9900K and get a decent audio interface
FYI there are also usb interfaces with good drivers ie low latency. Thoroughly documented here: Audio Interface - Low Latency Performance Data Base
Old 12th May 2019
  #7984
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskeladden View Post
Presonus Quantum/Presonus Quantum 2 is superfast and got great drivers for Windows. But if you want DSP plugins you have to choose something else. One other thing the Quantum is not standalone so it must go through your pc to work.
Thanks for the advice. it seems to be one of the best price/performance value for an audio interface with Thunderbolt but it's a little bit expensive for me right now. I'll wait for this one I guess


Quote:
Originally Posted by thedberg View Post
FYI there are also usb interfaces with good drivers ie low latency. Thoroughly documented here: Audio Interface - Low Latency Performance Data Base
Thanks for the link. I'll check this in details.
Old 14th May 2019
  #7985
Lives for gear
 

Hey Pictus,

I’m going to be ordering all the parts you recommended for my pc build very soon, but before I go ahead do you know if the following SSD’s are compatible with the Gigabyte Z390 Designare or Master, as I can’t see any of them listed in the Gigabyte QVL support list?..
I contacted Gigabyte and they could not confirm as they said they haven’t tested these yet?..

Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Corsair - MP510 480 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

ADATA - XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive


Many thanks,

Noodlez
Old 14th May 2019
  #7986
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodlez View Post
before I go ahead do you know if the following SSD’s are compatible with the Gigabyte Z390 Designare or Master, as I can’t see any of them listed in the Gigabyte QVL support list?.
I'm a bit thrown by this... is this a thing now?

I've not noticed a QVL sheet for M.2's before because they should all work as long as there is suitable slot support, although I guess I've not really been watching out for it. Yes, I guess I have seen some flakey SSD controllers in some configurations, but that's more to do with the choice of the controller in the drive or the firmware revision in play which can obviously change as the drive firmware matures.

Anyhow, that Evo works on everything I've ever tried it on, the Corsair drives are largely alright depending on the controller. That Corsair specifically uses a Phison and tbh I'm not the biggest advocate of those controllers. The ADATA again is using pretty much the cheapest generic parts it can throw in there and you're paying for storage space and not speed or reliability but as a backup drive that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Of the three you list only Samsung design, builds and writes the firmware/controller/DIMMs from the ground up, which means ultimately they have the most control over the quality of the final finished product.

Personally, for my own setup, I'd be buying Samsung for important drives and Crucial MX500 or Intel 660/760 models for storage and playback drives.
Old 14th May 2019
  #7987
Lives for gear
 
Pictus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodlez View Post
Hey Pictus,

I’m going to be ordering all the parts you recommended for my pc build very soon, but before I go ahead do you know if the following SSD’s are compatible with the Gigabyte Z390 Designare or Master, as I can’t see any of them listed in the Gigabyte QVL support list?..
I contacted Gigabyte and they could not confirm as they said they haven’t tested these yet?..

Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Corsair - MP510 480 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

ADATA - XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive


Many thanks,

Noodlez
There are reports in the internet of people with Gigabyte Z390 working
with no problem with both SSDs, but was not the Designare model.
This things are made to work with anything, sometimes may have
a problem that can be fixed with proper BIOS/firmware/driver.

BTW, the XPG SX8200 Pro 512 now is cheaper than the Corsair.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/...200pnp-512gt-c

--------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Kaine View Post
I'm a bit thrown by this... is this a thing now?

I've not noticed a QVL sheet for M.2's before because they should all work as long as there is suitable slot support, although I guess I've not really been watching out for it. Yes, I guess I have seen some flakey SSD controllers in some configurations, but that's more to do with the choice of the controller in the drive or the firmware revision in play which can obviously change as the drive firmware matures.

Anyhow, that Evo works on everything I've ever tried it on, the Corsair drives are largely alright depending on the controller. That Corsair specifically uses a Phison and tbh I'm not the biggest advocate of those controllers. The ADATA again is using pretty much the cheapest generic parts it can throw in there and you're paying for storage space and not speed or reliability but as a backup drive that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Of the three you list only Samsung design, builds and writes the firmware/controller/DIMMs from the ground up, which means ultimately they have the most control over the quality of the final finished product.

Personally, for my own setup, I'd be buying Samsung for important drives and Crucial MX500 or Intel 660/760 models for storage and playback drives.

The ADATA XPG Gammix S11 and XPG SX8200 is the same thing(excluding the heatsink)
and the Gammix is doing *very* well.
https://3dnews.ru/938764/page-2.html...20Gammix%20S11


The Pro versions got improved controller
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...-ssd,5955.html

In the tests the Corsair MP510 behaves well enough for audio workloads
and the big endurance grantee from the manufacturer is something I like.
Old 15th May 2019
  #7988
Lives for gear
 
Pictus's Avatar
 

AMD Ryzen 3000 series memory controller can overclock up to DDR4 5000 MHz
https://www.techspot.com/news/80051-...overclock.html
Old 15th May 2019
  #7989
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
The Pro versions got improved controller
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...-ssd,5955.html
Fair enough, good to see they are working to improve the offerings through the range. They've been lodged very much in the "value" end of the market for so long.
Old 15th May 2019
  #7990
Gear Addict
 
Electronique's Avatar
Damn.. What a thread. Found this via Google. Long time member of Gearslutz, but rarely post anymore.

Currently speccing out a new PC build, to replace my ageing i7 4790, 16GB (DDR3)..

I was sooooo keen to go first gen Threadripper. Everything was appealing. But it was mainly a wank factor for me. But after reading this and a some other info on the net, it looked like AMD just doesn't cut it for Audio.

So.. Im going Intel... Purchasing the parts over the course of a month or two, so as my wallet (and wife) doesn't feel it.. But this will be it

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K
MB: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code
Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 3200MHz 32GB
OS Drive: Samsung 970 EVO PLUS

My old SSD's, power supplier, case and Noctua fans will join the build.

While part of me still feels like I want more cores, more ram slots, more USB etc... I know deep down Im doing alright with the 9900K
Old 15th May 2019
  #7991
Lives for gear
 
Pictus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronique View Post
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K
MB: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code
This motherboard is not Thunderbolt compatible(lacks the Thunderbolt header).
The Asus Z390 PRIME-A is compatible, but got weak VRM.
Better go with Gigabyte Z390 Ultra or Designare if you do not plan to use
a Thunderbolt 1 audio interface
, Thunderbolt 2 or 3 is ok.

Quote:
Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i
Better get something more silent
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page...review,11.html
Old 15th May 2019
  #7992
Gear Addict
 
daskeladden's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
This motherboard is not Thunderbolt compatible(lacks the Thunderbolt header).
The Asus Z390 PRIME-A is compatible, but got weak VRM.
Better go with Gigabyte Z390 Ultra or Designare if you do not plan to use
a Thunderbolt 1 audio interface
, Thunderbolt 2 or 3 is ok.
Pretty amazing that a top notch motherboard like that does not have a Thunderbolt header.
Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI EXTREME Z390 has a thunderbolt header though
Old 15th May 2019
  #7993
Gear Addict
 
juiseman's Avatar
 

https://hothardware.com/news/zombiel...atches-inbound

Time have an internet PC/Laptop along side of your main DAW rig...
for those who don't already do so.

I wonder what the performance hit is with all of the patches over the
last 1 1/2 years collectively? maybe its just Intel trying to get folks to buy
new CPU's? IDK...that seems backwards to me.
Old 15th May 2019
  #7994
Gear Addict
 
daskeladden's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiseman View Post
https://hothardware.com/news/zombiel...atches-inbound

Time have an internet PC/Laptop along side of your main DAW rig...
for those who don't already do so.

I wonder what the performance hit is with all of the patches over the
last 1 1/2 years collectively? maybe its just Intel trying to get folks to buy
new CPU's? IDK...that seems backwards to me.
maybe I have to turn off hyperthreading after all
Old 15th May 2019
  #7995
Lives for gear
 
Pictus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiseman View Post
https://hothardware.com/news/zombiel...atches-inbound

Time have an internet PC/Laptop along side of your main DAW rig...
for those who don't already do so.

I wonder what the performance hit is with all of the patches over the
last 1 1/2 years collectively? maybe its just Intel trying to get folks to buy
new CPU's? IDK...that seems backwards to me.
Intel chips = sieve(full of holes)

Performance impact on Xeon® processor E5-2699 v4, Xeon® Platinum 8180 and i9-9900K.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...ology/mds.html
Impact in older CPUs is worst...
Old 15th May 2019
  #7996
Gear Addict
 
juiseman's Avatar
 

Yea I saw that; not good for us E5-Xeon guys like myself....

Zen 2 anybody?...lol....Lets see if the Latency comes down
And IPC+ Clock speed comes up with AMD's new chips.

If I were due for an upgrade; I would seriously
wait a month until the test's are in on the new AMD CPU's...

Thanks Pictus; good info bud.
Old 15th May 2019
  #7997
Lives for gear
 
ponzi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronique View Post
...I was sooooo keen to go first gen Threadripper. Everything was appealing. But it was mainly a wank factor for me. But after reading this and a some other info on the net, it looked like AMD just doesn't cut it for Audio...
Got to give AMD credit for getting a ton of mindshare on their new cpu line back then. They got a david kills goliath narrative going that was emotionally attractive to a lot of people (scrappy underdog gets one over on evil empire/establishment) and everybody thought intel was going to get crushed. There is also a reality that intel has sort of lost its way in terms of moving to smaller node sizes and has over promised and failed to deliver. Personally, my cpus have small enough nodes and are quite tiny compared to their heat sinks (on the cpu packaging), and I am really only interested in performance on the level of supporting modest projects on a daw. So while intel is blundering in some inconsequential respects, I am looking at the product specs.

So, I was thinking I should give this threadripper stuff a look see. When I worked the cpu benchmark numbers, and giving extra weight to the single core performance as is my wont, the AMD stuff was either a tiny bit more cost effective, or else more or less on par with intel for a given price. So, not a compelling case after all, and given better single core performance at a given price point, I felt intel had a bit of an edge yet.

Now of course, AMD may have pressured intel to lower cpu prices, and good for all of us on that, but once the hype was stripped away, they were competitive, but not game-changing--IMHO.

As to another topic--I will repeat my view that it is not the responsibility of the cpu to save people from viruses they get on their computer. Once you have the malicious code in your operating system, your chip is not going to bail you out. CPUs have some technologies that protect processes from each other and protect the 'ring 0' privileged processes a bit, but these are mostly means of protecting against errors in program code, and can't be relied upon beyond being helpful--if the vendor says otherwise--bummer for them, but my reality does not emanate from marketing hype or media hype.

So, I place zero concern on whatever the latest breathless 'sky is falling' narrative that the media hypes every time a cpu is found to have some newly identified exploit--and I repeat my observation that I have never seen a reported instance where spectre and meltdown were actually successfully used in a hacking scenario--though we know there are countless instances of non-spectre and meltdown hacking scenarios all the time. Just my view based on a perspective of having some knowledge of operating system internals.

Last edited by ponzi; 15th May 2019 at 02:58 PM..
Old 15th May 2019
  #7998
Lives for gear
 

Are there any cases which support Thunderbolt on the front panel?
Old 15th May 2019
  #7999
Gear Addict
 
daskeladden's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
Are there any cases which support Thunderbolt on the front panel?
no, and it probably will not be in a long time since thunderbolt technology are direct input on the motherboard. Maybe some kind of custom solution with a cable would be possible, basically a male to female thunderbolt cable like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Thunderbolt-E.../dp/B075MBS6JY
but remember a thunderbolt cable should not be longer than 2m
Old 15th May 2019
  #8000
Gear Addict
 
juiseman's Avatar
 

Yea, I agree....I just worry about the performance hit of the patches; not security concerns.

The timing of all these "security" sky is falling risks seems to coincide with
new CPU launches; maybe just a coincidence...maybe not?
It is definitely over rated for guys like us.

I expect the servers, mainframes & data centers to be most concerned. In that
field, less performance = less revenue. Or a data breach releasing 1000's of peoples private info could be really bad for a company.

If there was an attack; it would be on some of these systems; not people like us or regular home users.

It also seems the skill level required to deploy an attack with success; this lowers the chance greatly.
Seems highly unlikely that this would happen. I bet it would require a small team of veteran hackers after
something specific for this to even be plausible.
Old 15th May 2019
  #8001
Lives for gear
 
ponzi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskeladden View Post
no, and it probably will not be in a long time since thunderbolt technology are direct input on the motherboard...
I had the impression thunderbolt was implemented with add on cards that would expose a plug on the back of the computer. If there are mobos with a thunderbolt plug on the mobo itself, how does one connect to it? Is it necessary to open the case and run the cable in? Just curious because I will likely try and get tbolt next time I upgrade.
Old 15th May 2019
  #8002
Lives for gear
 
ponzi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by juiseman View Post
...I expect the servers, mainframes & data centers to be most concerned...
That is my thought as well. I would be curious how Microsoft and other cloud providers have dealt with this risk with their datacenters that have thousands of computers hosting virtual machines for clients. When cloud hosting one might well have a bad actor running on one virtual machine that might try and access data from another machine on the same host.
Old 15th May 2019
  #8003
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
I had the impression thunderbolt was implemented with add on cards that would expose a plug on the back of the computer. If there are mobos with a thunderbolt plug on the mobo itself, how does one connect to it? Is it necessary to open the case and run the cable in? Just curious because I will likely try and get tbolt next time I upgrade.
At least on some motherboards / sockets the add-in card connects via a cable to the motherboard. On AMD from what I recall and understand such a card on for example the Designare (Gigabyte) "should" have been connected that way, but since AMD isn't officially supporting TB on that board users simply 'jumped' pins on the card and got it working that way.
Old 15th May 2019
  #8004
Well, floating point throughput seems not affected by the mitigations, so we may continue.
Old 15th May 2019
  #8005
Gear Addict
 
daskeladden's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
I had the impression thunderbolt was implemented with add on cards that would expose a plug on the back of the computer. If there are mobos with a thunderbolt plug on the mobo itself, how does one connect to it? Is it necessary to open the case and run the cable in? Just curious because I will likely try and get tbolt next time I upgrade.
Either PCI + thunderbolt header or native on motherboard like for example Asus Z170-Premium and Gigabyte Designare Z390, both are ports back on the pc case (so no need to open the case).
I suggested to use the thunderbolt port back of the pc case with the male cable connector and custom make a female port on front of pc case with the female thunderbolt cable connector....
Old 17th May 2019
  #8006
Gear Addict
 

Hey guys,

I just built a PC with following specs:

1. Intel 8700, non K version
2. AsRock Z370 pro 4 mobo
3. 16 GB HyperX Fury DDR 4
4. Samsung 250 GB M2 drive
5. 2TB WD black
6. 650W Cooler Master Gold series PU
7. RME 9632, PCI version

I had to go with AsRock mobo, where I live there were no other boards with PCI slot and I didn't have more money for a new audio interface. Thing is, I get ASIO spikes in Cubase 8, although CPU is somewhere in
20-30% when playing a full mix at 128 buffer setting (3.5ms). Mix is not that big, there are drums, bass and 3-4 instances of Amplitube for guitars.

I disabled hyperthreading, EIST, turbo boost and similar stuff and now I'm able to play the mix with a spike or two on busy parts. But I'm worried about future work and more busy mixes, with a bigger track count. Is there a way to squeeze a bit more from this setup?

P.S. all drivers are updated, BIOS is also latest version.
Old 17th May 2019
  #8007
Lives for gear
 
Pictus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by implant View Post
Hey guys,

I had to go with AsRock mobo, where I live there were no other boards with PCI slot and I didn't have more money for a new audio interface. Thing is, I get ASIO spikes in Cubase 8, although CPU is somewhere in
20-30% when playing a full mix at 128 buffer setting (3.5ms). Mix is not that big, there are drums, bass and 3-4 instances of Amplitube for guitars.
Set Windows 10 Power Plan to "Ultimate Performance"
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html
And use LatencyMon https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Old 17th May 2019
  #8008
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus View Post
Set Windows 10 Power Plan to "Ultimate Performance"
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html
And use LatencyMon https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

Hey, thanks! I'm going to take a look at this and report back.
Old 17th May 2019
  #8009
Lives for gear
 
ponzi's Avatar
Good point, pictus. The only windows tuning I ever needed to do was turn off power management on the cpu using a windows setting. My computer couldn't even play back YouTube videos without snap crackle until I did that.
Old 17th May 2019
  #8010
Here for the gear
 

Hi everyone,

Such a great thread . It's really helped me put the parts together for a new DAW computer. It's going to be solely for music production running Cubase 10. I intend to overclock the CPU as far as is realistically possible as running things like multiple instances of Nebula kill my current machine (the case below has 3 fans included). I use a mix of VST instruments and Kontakt instruments. Here are the parts I'm thinking of:

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151
Memory: Kingston HyperX Predator 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
OS Storage: Corsair MP510 480 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Samples and Song Files: 2x Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Toshiba P300 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case: Fractal Design Define Xl ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

PC PART PICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/joh...RM#view=Lqk9GX

1. A couple of things. Is the Corsair MP510 a good choice for OS? Is there a better SSD in terms of speed or for any other reason I’m not thinking of?

2. The MB only has one HDMI output for a display monitor. I ideally want to run a dual monitor set up. Is there a way of getting two monitors running with this motherboard or can someone recommend a cheap graphics card? I’ve heard that graphics card drivers can mess up DAWs so defo want to avoid that.

3. Any other things you guys can think of that I may be missing?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump