The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The "today we build our studio pc" thread
Old 30th January 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by viktorapo View Post
CPU Core i7-8700K
SSD M.2 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB ***** (installations drive)
SSD M.2 Samsung 850 Evo 250GB ***** (samples drive)
HDD 1TB Toshiba SATA3 7200rpm ****** (exports, music, etc drive)
ASUS TUF Z370-PRO GAMING
Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 600W
Power Box SY-S136 Black
Kingston 16GB 3200MHz (Kit of 2) HyperX Predator ****(can go to 32 of your choice)
+++
nvidia 1030 for dual monitor support at high resolutions and 2x 24" monitors.

what do you think regarding this specs? mostly using Ableton 10-15 channels with various VST's for audio processing - rare usage of high CPU VST's, 1x MOTU Micro Lite connected + RME FIREFACE UC + M-Audio Oxygen 61 + Behringer BCR2000.
Think should be really stable and fast because right now i dont really fancy any problems with an 3rd gen i5-3450 3gb ram and slow&old hdd's but want to invest in something more stable and faster since the machine is really getting old and i dont want to end up with it not working in near point of time.
On the other side the budget is really over with this config but i want to be future proof as well
The nVidia 1030 might be redundant given that the Intel Core i7 8700K includes integrated GPU and support for up to three monitors.

Intel Core i7 8700K
https://ark.intel.com/products/12668...up-to-4_70-GHz

Intel Z370 chipset
https://ark.intel.com/products/12590...l-Z370-Chipset
Old 1st February 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRT_in_WMass View Post
The nVidia 1030 might be redundant given that the Intel Core i7 8700K includes integrated GPU and support for up to three monitors.

Intel Core i7 8700K
https://ark.intel.com/products/12668...up-to-4_70-GHz

Intel Z370 chipset
https://ark.intel.com/products/12590...l-Z370-Chipset
cool good to know, but wouldn't that affect the CPU performance? having dedicated video card should relief the CPU usage? or it does not matter at all ?

other then that, the PC config is decent, or ?
Old 1st February 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by viktorapo View Post
cool good to know, but wouldn't that affect the CPU performance? having dedicated video card should relief the CPU usage? or it does not matter at all ?

other then that, the PC config is decent, or ?
This application doesn't work the GPU very hard. The integrated GPU will generate some heat, but I doubt that will be significant in this.

Use a good CPU cooler.

If you later want to engage in some other very different application that is heavy GPU intensive, then consider adding a video card at that time, and the nVidia 1030 would not be what you would be choosing for that.
Old 1st February 2018
Gear Guru

Working Ryzen 7 1700 / w10 / Nuendo 7 / Lynx TWO-B setup

In the spirit of the thread here is my current Ryzen 1700 / Windows 10 / Lynx TWO-B setup with model numbers and a few benchmarks…..:

DAWbench, RXC-EXT results:

Buffer: 32 samples
RXC-EXT: 213 instances
ASIO-Guard: OFF

Buffer: 32 samples
RXC-EXT: 320+ instances (end of DAWbench tracks)
ASIO-Guard: ON

Buffer: 128 samples
RXC-EXT: 256 instances

Buffer: 256 samples
RXC-EXT: 294 instances

Some things to note;

- The CPU overclocked effortlessly to 3.7GHz all cores. No voltage change needed or anything. Fan noise is acceptable in my Antec P82 case (I think it’s a P82). (My hunch is that I can get this CPU to 3.9GHz on this cooler without problems)

- This DDR4 has its own profile on this motherboard and runs 3200MHz without issue. It did not post using 3466 so I will have to check either looser timings or higher voltage to make that work. Current timings were no problem at 3200mhz.

- With the Lynx TWO-B driver set to “topology” Win 10/Nuendo has a problem. The issue is interference with the Windows audio process as well as with my Faderport (single fader). I can not get the Faderport to get recognized without that process running, but with the process running Nuendo won’t get control over the Lynx card. A post on the Lynx support forum indicated that turning “topology” off solves this problem. And it does. It does however then have an effect on how Windows 10 deals with the card. Before I get to a more convenient solution I’m now switching this function on/off depending on whether or not I want to be able to output more than stereo from the OS (which then requires the “topology” driver and a restart).

- In Nuendo I had to DE-select “double buffer” in order to increase performance. Running DAWbench (non-VI) I had seriously low performance with this option on, and when switched off it improved dramatically.

- In Nuendo ASIO-GUARD on yields significantly better performance when running DAWbench (non-VI).

- In Nuendo, running DAWbench is odd when I finally reach the limit of how many instances can be activated. I might get to for example 256 instances and I get playback without clicks, and when I activate the 257th instance audio breaks up. However, turning off that instance doesn’t solve the problem, and I have to turn off about 4-5 instances more to get error free playback again….. which is weird.

- I picked this motherboard because it was the only one that was reasonably priced that included 6 SATA connectors as well as legacy PCI slots. But it’s worth noting that the top PCI-e slot is the one connected to the CPU (which is providing a dedicated 16 lanes PCI-e 3.0), and that one of the two PCI slots is directly beneath it. With today’s graphic cards taking up two slots this effectively means you’ll either have to run your graphic card in a different slot at less than full bandwidth or you’ll lose this PCI slot (it has two legacy PCI slots).

- I'm not sure if the performance shown using DAWbench EXT is where it should be. Intuitively it seems a bit low, about 80% of the performance Pete at Scan got with a 1700x at 3.8GHz. The difference is only 100MHz and it's the same processor family, so I'd have expected performance to be a bit closer (As a matter of fact, my performance using non-DAW benchmarks appears to be better, +8.7% single core and +25%!!!). The computers are obviously not the same, with different interfaces and different drivers, so that may explain the difference. Or perhaps something in my system is tripping it up a bit.

Setup & Benchmarks:

Old 1st February 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRT_in_WMass View Post
This application doesn't work the GPU very hard. The integrated GPU will generate some heat, but I doubt that will be significant in this.

Use a good CPU cooler.

If you later want to engage in some other very different application that is heavy GPU intensive, then consider adding a video card at that time, and the nVidia 1030 would not be what you would be choosing for that.
yeah i forgot to mention im planning on liquid cooling for the CPU and 2x normal fans for in/out configuration
Old 1st February 2018
Gear Nut

Just picked up a new I9 7960x, anyone have any recommendations on a good motherboard for the build? I have had good luck with Asus but am open to suggestions.
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
- In Nuendo I had to DE-select “double buffer” in order to increase performance. Running DAWbench (non-VI) I had seriously low performance with this option on, and when switched off it improved dramatically.

- In Nuendo ASIO-GUARD on yields significantly better performance when running DAWbench (non-VI).

- I'm not sure if the performance shown using DAWbench EXT is where it should be. Intuitively it seems a bit low, about 80% of the performance Pete at Scan got with a 1700x at 3.8GHz. The difference is only 100MHz and it's the same processor family, so I'd have expected performance to be a bit closer (As a matter of fact, my performance using non-DAW benchmarks appears to be better, +8.7% single core and +25%!!!). The computers are obviously not the same, with different interfaces and different drivers, so that may explain the difference. Or perhaps something in my system is tripping it up a bit.
I run the DB DSP test in Reaper, rather than under Cubase or Nuendo so that might be related, or it could be a difference in interface, but then I've not validated a Lynx in years so I can't comment on their current driver set. I do that like that brand and historically they've always been superb interfaces, but the lack of marketing on this side of the pond has always made them a tricky one to retail in the UK (we've tried in the past) which is an absolute shame.

Also, the bench that test was done on, was frozen pre-creators to ensure a level playing field. I seem to recall the first creators had a 5%-10% performance hit on some sequencers, including Cubendo engine so that could possibly explain half the difference right there. Changes to the OS and how the various packages have dealt with them are another reason I need to re-bench everything aside from the obvious cluster of **** that has been the last few months.
Old 2nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post

- In Nuendo, running DAWbench is odd when I finally reach the limit of how many instances can be activated. I might get to for example 256 instances and I get playback without clicks, and when I activate the 257th instance audio breaks up. However, turning off that instance doesn’t solve the problem, and I have to turn off about 4-5 instances more to get error free playback again….. which is weird.
That is the normal behaviour running this benchmark from its inception, either DSP or VI , results I presented were always incrementally load till break , then move back the number till it stabilises.

That behaviour is more pronounced on certain audio cards, Lynx being one of them , most likely in relation to their respective buffering routines for their ASIO driver. When pushed to the absolute brink, you may find some of those sessions will not even playback if saved and reopened, but only on certain audio cards, others like RME just pick up from exactly where it left off.

Old 2nd February 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT View Post
That is the normal behaviour running this benchmark from its inception, either DSP or VI , results I presented were always incrementally load till break , then move back the number till it stabilises.

That behaviour is more pronounced on certain audio cards, Lynx being one of them , most likely in relation to their respective buffering routines for their ASIO driver. When pushed to the absolute brink, you may find some of those sessions will not even playback if saved and reopened, but only on certain audio cards, others like RME just pick up from exactly where it left off.

Very interesting. Thanks for the info!!!
Old 2nd February 2018
Gear Guru

@ Pete Kaine,

thanks!
Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

So I'm finally going to do a new build. Any thoughts?

Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor

Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Noctua - NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler

Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Samsung - 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

WD Black 2TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD2003FZEX

Asus - GeForce GT 1030 2GB Video Card

Fractal Design - Define R5 Blackout Edition ATX Mid Tower Case

SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

The case and power supply are on the way and will buy the rest next week locally.

Mostly wondering about the ram? Also opinions on whether a dedicated video card will help or not?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks
G
Old 3rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectacular g View Post
Mostly wondering about the ram? Also opinions on whether a dedicated video card will help or not?
For DAW usage, on board video is sufficient. There is no need for a discrete graphics card; it may even cause problems with DPC latency.

The 960 EVO NVMe significantly outperforms the 850 Pro SATA drive. As for memory, there does not seem to be much advantage in using faster RAM for audio purposes; DDR4 2400 should be fine, although faster may be worthwhile if available for the same or only a slightly higher price. The 8700K provides a bump in performance if you can swing it, although the NH-U14S might be advisable in that case due to increased heat output.
Old 4th February 2018
Gear Addict

I agree with 12Bass.

You might be able to get a good price for a Samsung 850 Evo. That model is being replaced by the 860 now, so keep your eyes open, or just ask. The 850 Evo is plenty fast enough.
Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear

Just wondering, which SSDs cause problems?

Intel I used quite some, not the fastest but very reliable and had no compatibility issues.
Samsung EVO 850 250 GB: not enough cumulated operating hours but until now no issues.
Toshiba: Several sudden premature failures in not demanding applications, i.e. low transfer volumes per day; the Intel and Samsung worked flawlessly in the same PCs.
All mentioned SSDs in systems running 24/24 7/7 with online dual conversion industrial UPS, temperature-controlled "normal clean" rooms without vibrations nor humid/corrosive atmosphere.

Other question: how reliable are liquid coolers for CPUs? I never used any myself, seem they're reliable but I'd still prefer not having some leaks.
Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoeller View Post
Other question: how reliable are liquid coolers for CPUs? I never used any myself, seem they're reliable but I'd still prefer not having some leaks.
It is pretty safe , but not safer than air cooling there always is possibility of leaks . Using for them for several years never had issues with it , also ssd give no problems.
Old 5th February 2018
Gear Head

I ended up buying the samsung 860 evo instead of the 850 evo it is supposed to be more reliable and was cheaper at new egg.
Samsung's 860 Evo returns to the SATA battle royale | PC Gamer
Old 5th February 2018
Gear Head
Thoughts on this computer I found

No longer getting the Alien computer.

Last edited by CDB Studios; 6th February 2018 at 01:36 AM.. Reason: Invalid
Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nleif View Post
Just picked up a new I9 7960x, anyone have any recommendations on a good motherboard for the build? I have had good luck with Asus but am open to suggestions.
The new GIGABYTE X299 Designare EX, nice review at
GIGABYTE X299 Designare EX (Intel X299) Motherboard Review
It is a new board made to stand the higher requirements for
the I9 7960x and also got a built-in dual port ThunderBolt 3.
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear

[ About liquid cooled CPUs ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundebler View Post
It is pretty safe , but not safer than air cooling there always is possibility of leaks . Using for them for several years never had issues with it , also ssd give no problems.
Thanks for your reply. I've never assembled any PC with liquid cooled CPU yet. I've maintained MV (medium voltage, not megavolt, only a couple of kV) (high) power electronics where deionized water was used in closed circuit flowing in bare copper tubes used as conductors. Sometimes there were leaks which made a mess but they never initiated any arc-flash (the conductivity of the water was permanently monitored).

It's just that I feel somewhat reluctant to have water in my PC but maybe I should once get used to.
Old 6th February 2018
Gear Nut

I need some guidance.

I realized that my computer is almost 10 years old. It was a powerhouse at the time, now it's incredibly dated. I recently purchased the Slate everything bundle. When using the slate plugins just on the drums (around 9 tracks, and an instance of VMR and VTM on most tracks, with around 10-15 plugins running total inside the VMR) and my CPU was pretty much red-lined. I had to bounce down to a stereo audio track of drums and disable all those inserts to finish mixing my track.

Processor is DEFINITELY a bottleneck. It's an old core2duo 2.3ghz. Very outdated.
I'm maxxed out at 8GB of DDR3. However I use limited VSTi. My usage usually hovers around 4gig. I would still, however, like more ram, and room for future upgrades.
64 bit windows 7 pro, which I'm completely happy with. I have ZERO interest in Windows 10.
The computer is an Gateway I bought from a best buy, but with a few upgrades I've done over the years.
Using an old gaming card from an old system. REALLY old. It's like a GT8800 or something similar from my gaming days. I've had zero issues with it (although I wonder if it is in fact causing part of my bottleneck at the processor?)

I used to build PC's 10+ years ago, when I was big into gaming. First game I was into was Starcraft, last PC game I bought was Starcraft 2. That gives a pretty good time frame on how completely out of touch I am now. I understand quite a bit about computers, but I find that EVERYTHING has changed, and I no longer have a clue. I'm incredibly confused as there are just so many variables.

I currently run Studio One 3.5. From what I can tell, the multi-threading support isn't amazing, each track goes to a single core. So lots of cores will be nice, but I also need something with a decent speed.

My budget is $700 max. I don't mind half-arsing something that can be upgraded in the future, i.e. getting a rig with a HHD instead of a SSD, and installing the SSD later, or adding more memory as I go.

I was looking at buying a used/refurb Dell 7500 workstation with the second cpu riser, 2x xeon x5680 processors (3.33 ghz hex cores with 12 threads each) and 48 gig of DDR ram. This should easily alleviate a great deal of my CPU issues, but I don't know if it would solve it as I can still potentially overload a core with a single track due to the way SO3 distributes the load. In addition, I would need to add a SATAiii card to upgrade to SSDs, and I'd need to purchase SSDs. That would push me to the edge of my budget. My other concern is the noise. It's a business workstation, with a massive 1100 watt power supply. They say it's rated at 31 dbs, but I just don't believe it. I've watched some youtube videos, and you can definitely hear it when the fans start to power up.

My other option I've considered is a gaming type PC pre built. (I just don't have the time or the know-how to build one completely from scratch). I priced out a barebones kit and added parts, and I could get something along the lines of an i7 6700, 255g SSD, 16 gig of DDR4, etc... - I assume at that price that the power supply, heat sink, and case are garbage, but my budget is really not high enough, and those things can be upgraded eventually. Not thrilled with the DDR4 either. Not really a needed upgrade for what I do, and it's much more expensive when I decide to add more.

So help me out, please! Any answers, suggestions, advice, or help of any sort will be greatly appreciated. How can I spend $500-700 total and get something that will alleviate my bottlenecks, have the ability to upgrade and last me quite a while, and be relatively quiet as I record in the same room where the computer will be?
Old 6th February 2018
RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bass View Post
For DAW usage, on board video is sufficient. There is no need for a discrete graphics card; it may even cause problems with DPC latency.

The 960 EVO NVMe significantly outperforms the 850 Pro SATA drive. As for memory, there does not seem to be much advantage in using faster RAM for audio purposes; DDR4 2400 should be fine, although faster may be worthwhile if available for the same or only a slightly higher price. The 8700K provides a bump in performance if you can swing it, although the NH-U14S might be advisable in that case due to increased heat output.
It seems that Skylake-X and even Coffee Lake is scaling good with DDR4, so I would say get as fast ram as you can within your budget. I currently have 2666mhz ram on my x299, but I really wish I went with 3200+, and probably will upgrade very soon..
Old 6th February 2018
Gear Head
This is what I am going to build. Thank you to all that put their time into posting what they are building. Also thanks to my friend Meko who has helped me put this together.

NewEgg:

ARK 3U390A Black 3U Rackmount Server Case w/o Power Supply

WD Gold 1TB Enterprise Class Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM Class SATA 6Gb/s 128MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD1005FBYZ

Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-650FX 650W 80+ Gold ATX12V & EPS12V Full Modular 120mm FDB Fan Compact 140mm Size Power Supply

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel Z170 / Z270 / Z370 Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C15D-16GTZ

ASRock Z370M Pro4 LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) BX80684I78700K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630

Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm Case Fan

Noctua NF-A8 PWM 80mm Case Fan

Noctua NH-D9L 92mm SSO2 Low-profile Premium CPU Cooler, NF-A9 PWM Fans

SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V6E250BW

Grand Total: $1,219.01
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatsNo View Post
It seems that Skylake-X and even Coffee Lake is scaling good with DDR4, so I would say get as fast ram as you can within your budget. I currently have 2666mhz ram on my x299, but I really wish I went with 3200+, and probably will upgrade very soon..
RAM speed is not a bottleneck for DAWs.

Old 6th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bass View Post
RAM speed is not a bottleneck for DAWs.

On a thread at Reasontalk.com theres a benchmark where Ram speed certainly seems to impact performance. This is basically a huge template which tries to max out dsp.
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
On a thread at Reasontalk.com theres a benchmark where Ram speed certainly seems to impact performance. This is basically a huge template which tries to max out dsp.
Link?
Old 7th February 2018
Quote:
Curious as well. Both Pete from Scan and I have tested this.
It doesn't matter whether you use a single channel of 1333MHz or quad channel 2133MHz, no music project managed more voices, more plugins or faster loading times. Maybe RAM intense plugs like MIR or Nebula benefit, but all those who claimed this would be the case have not come up with test results.
So if you have a link I'd be happy to learn what setup would benefit from faster RAM.
Old 7th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Curious as well. Both Pete from Scan and I have tested this.
It doesn't matter whether you use a single channel of 1333MHz or quad channel 2133MHz, no music project managed more voices, more plugins or faster loading times. Maybe RAM intense plugs like MIR or Nebula benefit, but all those who claimed this would be the case have not come up with test results.
So if you have a link I'd be happy to learn what setup would benefit from faster RAM.
Hey, yeah that's what I pretty much thought (and am still unsure about aswell), before putting together my x299 system. And since I don't have a better kit to compare with I tried running my ram at both xmp (2666) and stock (2133) and indeed xmp boosted my performance alot in this specific benchmark. The way this "benchmark" works is by just adding more and more instruments and effects throughout until your dsp maxes out. One guy went from 26 sec to 46 sec going from 8700k with single channel ram to dual channel. I posted 40 sec with 7820x 2666mhz ram, in comparison to another user posting 53 sec on basically the same setup but quad 3000mhz ram.

This is not scientific at all, but it's odd that there seems to be a strong correlation with users reporting better performance in Reason with higher clocked ram. This is mostly Coffee Lake and Skylake-X, could it be the way the newer cpu's manage memory? Or could it be Reason that's the oddball and really enjoys fast ram. Not sure, but I'm going to upgrade to quad 3600mhz sometime this year, and find out..

This is the thread, I think ram starts to get mentioned around page 4 and out: Reason 9.5 & above CPU Stress Tests (2017, two different songfiles included)! - ReasonTalk.com
Old 7th February 2018
Gear Maniac
Honestly, I see so many people building overkill builds for DAW/music work. Processors have evolved past music work, and plugins/DAWs no longer require high-end gear.

16 GB RAM is plenty. Any more than that is overkill. Many people will even be fine with 8.

No video card is necessary - integrated graphics will be fine.

An i7 is overkill. i5-7500, i5-7400, i3-8100, i3-8350k, i5-7600k will all be plenty.

Liquid cooling is ridiculous for an audio build.

An SSD is a wise purchase for fast performance. An M.2 SSD is preferable, if the motherboard supports it.

Mini ITX is fine. This build is not going to need a ton of air cooling.
Old 7th February 2018
Gear Maniac
I've built a few PC's before and I view things from the average person's point of view (functionality for a good price). I don't advocate people buying high-end PC parts that their use case will never maximize just to have the highest specs. So, these are my recommendations with a balance between practicality, strong performance and reasonable price.

Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S (ITX)
RAM: 8-16 GB DDR4
Storage: 250-500 GB M.2 SSD + 2 TB External USB Hard Drive
Fans: Be Quiet Pure Wings 2 (1 120mm & 1 140mm)
Cooler: Be Quiet Pure Rock Slim
Power Supply: >350w. Fully modular.

I'll leave the motherboard and CPU decision up to you. But an i7 is not needed
Old 7th February 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by minervx View Post
Honestly, I see so many people building overkill builds for DAW/music work. Processors have evolved past music work, and plugins/DAWs no longer require high-end gear.

An i7 is overkill. i5-7500, i5-7400, i3-8100, i3-8350k, i5-7600k will all be plenty.
i3 will not work, well - not recommended, with the new Pro Tools 2018. The reason I am going with the i7 8700K is to future proof as best as I can.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search