The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
CPU Overload in Pro Tools 9 DAW Software
Old 24th November 2010
Gear interested

CPU Overload in Pro Tools 9

Every time I try to add a plug-in to a track, while the track is playing, Pro Tools stops and error 6101 "CPU Overload" pops up. I've increased the H/W buffer size to 1024 and lowered the RTAS processors to one at 85%. I'm not sure if related to the fact that I'm using Mac OS 10.6.5. I know it is not officially supported yet. I'm using a MacBook Pro and have 4gb of RAM, so I know I meet the system requirements. Is anyone else having the same issue or does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?
Old 24th November 2010
Gear Addict
Don't

How to fix it? Easy: Stop, add the plugin and start.

It's like saying: "WHEN I'M DOWNLOADING 20 FILES AT THE SAME TIME, SAFARI RUNS SLOWLY, DO I NEED A PATCH OR SOMETHING?"
Old 24th November 2010
Lives for gear
It´s a shame that PT seems to be so ineffective when it comes to handling cpu resources...this would be no problem in Logic..
Old 25th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by claesbjo View Post
It´s a shame that PT seems to be so ineffective when it comes to handling cpu resources...this would be no problem in Logic..
Yep, but that will be changing, as they have publicly stated.

TH
Old 25th November 2010
TNM
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by claesbjo View Post
what bull. I'm a logic power user since 1996, and logic can overload on an ultra light project when the engine is playing in realtime, by inserting certain plugins, and by changing presets on some whilst playback is active. Same as any other daw. Just the same as Cubase can temporarily spike and studio one, etc.

Vin has PROVEN for effects at least, pro tools is not "inefficient".

For instruments the jury is still out, although as i have said before, with 8.04 LE, doing a hardcore albino test (8 instances of a patch that uses an entire core on an 8 core with 12 voices per core), pt played it back just fine, sometimes not, same with logic. Sometimes i had to stop and start logic 5 times for it to "readjust" it's core balancing to get it to work...

That's just one instrument sure, but hey, it shocked me as well after all the rtas stuff i read. But if they are optimizing further, all the power to them. That's the DAW, or Cubase, i will probably be switching to.
Old 25th November 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenBeat View Post

How to fix it? Easy: Stop, add the plugin and start.

It's like saying: "WHEN I'M DOWNLOADING 20 FILES AT THE SAME TIME, SAFARI RUNS SLOWLY, DO I NEED A PATCH OR SOMETHING?"
That does work. It's just that I never had that issue in Pro Tools 8.
Old 25th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
what bull. I'm a logic power user since 1996, and logic can overload on an ultra light project when the engine is playing in realtime, by inserting certain plugins, and by changing presets on some whilst playback is active. Same as any other daw. Just the same as Cubase can temporarily spike and studio one, etc.

Vin has PROVEN for effects at least, pro tools is not "inefficient".

For instruments the jury is still out, although as i have said before, with 8.04 LE, doing a hardcore albino test (8 instances of a patch that uses an entire core on an 8 core with 12 voices per core), pt played it back just fine, sometimes not, same with logic. Sometimes i had to stop and start logic 5 times for it to "readjust" it's core balancing to get it to work...

That's just one instrument sure, but hey, it shocked me as well after all the rtas stuff i read. But if they are optimizing further, all the power to them. That's the DAW, or Cubase, i will probably be switching to.

PT has gotten better but it's way behind Logic. It just depends on what VI's you are giving it, but if you aren't heavy on VI's it does seem to handle a boatload of EQs, comps, etc, just fine. And I use Logic daily and have seen it give me trouble when adding some during playback as well. Not always, but yes sometimes it does.

TH
Old 25th November 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
PT has gotten better but it's way behind Logic. It just depends on what VI's you are giving it, but if you aren't heavy on VI's it does seem to handle a boatload of EQs, comps, etc, just fine. And I use Logic daily and have seen it give me trouble when adding some during playback as well. Not always, but yes sometimes it does.

TH
Nuendo is much faster than logic or PT as far as the audio engine and plugins
go...about a 33% increase. VST stuff in on another level altogether.woekfkow is debatable
Old 25th November 2010
This happens to me in 9 sometimes. I've opened the system usage gauge and even when the systems only using like 15% of the CPU, I'll occasionally get the 'Out of CPU' error - even though it's NOT nearly out of CPU. It's just one of those things. Like when copying a send or plug from one track to another (while the session is playing) there'll be a little pause usually.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Head

Is your DAW more prone to CPU overloads when the battery is low? I was out of the room for a while and wasnt able to plug in my computer before it shut down to save the files. When I plugged in and started back up, everytime i tried to play a track (no plugins on anything) I got a CPU overload error. I'm assuming the computer would have to work harder or may not be at it's full potential if the battery is below 10%?

And I don't normally let it get below about 12 or 15%, I just happened to leave the room for long enough that it sucked the rest of the battery out.
Old 1st January 2011
Gear Nut

I get these errors...check out the avid forums. Alternatively, try their knowledge base... I find it useful!
Old 29th January 2011
Gear interested

Running PT9 HD on an 8core Mac Pro with 6gigs RAM. Getting the CPU-overload message all the time. Can't even bounce, because the dialog box appears and the bounce shuts down.
PT tells me to lower the amount of plugins, however, I'm already editing destructively to minimise usage, so there isn't a single plugin on my channel strips.
It seems my problem is way worse than you guys describe. Does anyone have an idea? I'm going mad here.

Thanks!
Old 29th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmk220 View Post
Running PT9 HD on an 8core Mac Pro with 6gigs RAM. Getting the CPU-overload message all the time. Can't even bounce, because the dialog box appears and the bounce shuts down.
PT tells me to lower the amount of plugins, however, I'm already editing destructively to minimise usage, so there isn't a single plugin on my channel strips.
It seems my problem is way worse than you guys describe. Does anyone have an idea? I'm going mad here.

Thanks!
sounds like your problem is something else other than 9HD. Hardware related like: Bad HD card, bad ram, bad hard drive, etc.
Old 30th January 2011
Gear interested

I have a similar problem... I'm running PT9 under Windows 7 64bits, on a i7 (8 threads/processors) and 6gb ram. I'm having about 50% of Cpu usage and suddenly overload into 100%, logically the session hangs up. Never happened before with the previous PT versions.
Old 30th January 2011
Lives for gear

I also have more problems with error messages on 9 than I had with 8. Also when I close a session and open another it almost always tells me that memory is critically low. I have 8 gigs. If I close pro tools and re-open it it plays fine..no errors. PT9 is not handling memory or cpu well. It just needs some work. I'm just a little peeved that it's not 64 bit. It seems like that would solve a lot of memory issues.
L.
Old 1st February 2011
Gear interested

Pro Tools 9 CPU overload

I am also having a problem in Pro Tools 9 with CPU Overloads. I am having it consistently across 2 different hard drives and installs (I have a beta drive for testing and a prod drive) + Seperate Audio Drive of Course.....Specs on Computer:

MacPro 8 Core w/ 16 Gigs Ram
Apogee Ensemble and RME Fireface

One Bootable drive is a clean install of os 10.6.5 running only PT 9.01 and the other is a drive that was an upgrade from 10.5 to 10.6.5 and PT 9.01 which is also running DP6 and Logic 9 (Logic and DP run with no probs...I can slam 50 tracks full of 5 waves plugs each with no problem on cpu on DP6)

Both have had the standard optimization tweaks that Digi (sorry Avid) (Energy saver settings, expose, dashboard and spotlight turned off....etc....)

I get CPU Overload errors all the time. I did one project where I had to try to bounce a 6 min song down and it took me 2.5 hrs and 12 attempts to bounce down just because it would always stop with a cpu overload error . I also for testing purposes opened a new session and imported one audio file and press play...with no plug ins no nothing.....one track going to one output and I get the same cpu overload errors just as consistently as I am getting them on a large track count project with lots of plugs....

Any one else? Any ideas? I am going to install 10.6.6 and see if that helps....but highly doubtful based on what 10.6.6 is to fix.
Old 7th February 2011
Deleted #157546

Having issues here, myself. Tried everything. Not much online ATM. Getting CPU Overloading error with no plugins and various HW buffer settings.

I'm a little lost right now and haven't been able to do any work.
Old 7th February 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lippi
I have a similar problem... I'm running PT9 under Windows 7 64bits, on a i7 (8 threads/processors) and 6gb ram. I'm having about 50% of Cpu usage and suddenly overload into 100%, logically the session hangs up. Never happened before with the previous PT versions.
Try setting the engine at 7 cores @ 95%.
Old 8th February 2011
Deleted #157546

I removed Pro Tools/ Plug in everything on my system.

Then I made sure everything was 100 percent up to date on Windows 7.

Did a fresh install of PT9 ONLY and still getting error (-6031).

Won't even run bare bones session only few tracks with out getting that error.

Now I'm looking for alternatives for upcoming session.

Sigh...Not going back to XP either after tasting 7.
Old 8th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lippi View Post
Happening here too, i7 920, 8GB RAM.

Lockups are causing complete system freeze here - can't even save/close PT/restart PC etc. Have to turn off the power.

Unacceptable behavior at this stage, IMHO.
Old 8th February 2011
Gear addict
yeah ive got pro tools 9 installed (just got it)... i havent mixed anything in it yet or even touched it much. but ive tried inserting a few plugins... audio stops?? weird, yes pro tools 8 never had this problem... i will probobly do some mixing tomarrow so i can report if i am having the same problem here too.
Old 5th April 2011
Lives for gear

Anyone still having problems with this? I haven't upgraded to PT9 yet......I mix ALOT on my MacBook Pro....4 gigs of ram too and I am afraid that PT 9 will be harder on my CPU not allowing me to have as many plugins because its too busy auto delay compensating and what not.

Should I not worry?
Old 5th April 2011
Here for the gear

imm having the same problems with pt 9 as well. i cant even bounce a 4 bar beat without it overloading. im glad i still got my logic 9 which performs like a beast and never lets me down. somethins wrong with that pt9
Old 15th April 2011
Ok this has just started with me, running 3 tracks only with 1 RTAS plug in, system usage states only 1% on rtas.... Then again i opened another session with 20 tracks and its running fine... its intermittent, also it doesn't seem to like running with delay compensation.....
Old 15th April 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnyce695 View Post
imm having the same problems with pt 9 as well. i cant even bounce a 4 bar beat without it overloading. im glad i still got my logic 9 which performs like a beast and never lets me down. somethins wrong with that pt9
how many cores to PT? What latency? What machine? etc etc
Old 19th April 2011
Gear interested

I have another problem, but I'm still running PT8. My MacPro has 8cores and 8 gigs of Ram. But when I'm loading around 3 gigs of samples system stops. There is message "to low memory or PT critical in memory" etc.
How can it be possible if I have at least 4 gigs out of use?
Is there any settings for ram optimization in PT or in MacOsX?
My system is PT8 HD2.

I've tried PT9 and can't tell that there is some huge problem with CPU load.
But I can't understand why I have to by powerful computer if playback stops when buffer size is at low value? Even if a CPU load is low, play back is not possible in heavy projects until I increase buffer size. I thought that I pay for advanced properties like low values of buffer size when I'm buying fast CPU, but in fact it seems like you can use IMac with i5 for all properties. This is very strange for me. But I'm not profi yet. Tell me If I'm wrong. This is only my thoughts.
Old 19th April 2011

How many cores have you assigned to PT?
Old 19th April 2011
Gear interested

I can't to check now, but I'm think that all (8). CPU usage limit 85%
Old 19th April 2011

That is likely to be the source of your problem. Fro an 8 core I'd dedicate 5 or 6 cores. The reasons? If you allow PT to take over all 8 you are making it take precedence over the MAC OS. That's why you'll be running out of system resource because every time the Mac wants to do something it'll be tripping up PT.

Put 5 or 6 cores to PT.
Old 19th April 2011
Gear interested

ok, Thank you. I will try)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search