The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
looking for soundcloud alternative
Old 21st November 2010
Lives for gear

I have been using soundcloud as a clean way to send audio files to clients, but it is starting to get pricey for my needs.

Any ideas on other ways to send clients sets of music in widget form where they can preview and download the songs. I don't need or want any social network sharing and need to be able to share the files privately.

Maybe a wordpress plugin or something. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 21st November 2010
Bandcamp check it out
Old 21st November 2010
Lives for gear

I checked out bandcamp and I'm not sure it can do what I need...

I need to send a private link to tracks that the client can listen to and download for free. The account would have to be able to have a bunch of sets of music that can only be seen if I give the url to someone. Would also be nice to have a don't make the original downloadable option.

One thing I don't like about soundcloud is that even when I send a client a private set of music it shows them all of my other public music sets.

I scoured the web last night and couldn't find a simple widget for embedding a group of files in an html message. The closest thing is the yahoo media player, but it doesn't accommodate a group of files, doesnt auto name the file, and doesn't allow download of the file.

Yahoo! Media Player
Old 21st November 2010
Lives for gear

Ok so it looks like you can hide an album in bandcamp and then send the client to the hidden album. Not thrilled with the navigation and clutter of bandcamp though. It is also a problem that you can't download .aif or .wav

If nothing better is out there then I will probably just go with bandcamp.
Old 21st November 2010
You can try dropbox .
Old 21st November 2010
Lives for gear

The main problem with dropbox is that people have to register to view the shared folder. Going to take a closer look at idisc also, but I think it is mac only.
Old 21st November 2010
Gear Nut

I like using googledocs to send files. You upload the file and then send the url to whomever you want to have access. Up to 1.2Gb. So far so good for me.
Old 21st November 2010
Lives for gear

Yousendit.com or MobileMe. MobileMe might seem expensive, but it comes with a lot more than just file sharing.
Old 21st November 2010
Lives for gear

okay I found a great solution for my purposes and it's free.

box.net

create a folder. don't share it. add mp3's to the folder. create a sub folder with .aiffs. right click on the main folder and select embed widget. this give you a widget code that you can paste into a web page or perhaps email(havent tried)

the beauty of it is that there is a very nice flash player interface with simple download navigation for mp3's. if you click on the aiff sub folder you can download those easily as well. really nice.

will try and post an example tonight.
Old 21st November 2010
Gear Guru

If you just need to transfer files: https://www.wetransfer.com/

Its free. Very easy. Up to 2GB files. No need even to register. Simple.

Alistair
Old 22nd November 2010
soulstudios
Quote:
Originally Posted by quincyg View Post
I have been using soundcloud as a clean way to send audio files to clients, but it is starting to get pricey for my needs.

Any ideas on other ways to send clients sets of music in widget form where they can preview and download the songs. I don't need or want any social network sharing and need to be able to share the files privately.

Maybe a wordpress plugin or something. Thanks for any suggestions.
Mediafire
Box.net
Old 22nd November 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies. I think box.net does the trick. Shared folder with built in mp3 player.

here's what it looks like as a link to folder:

test folder - Folder Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage
Old 7th March 2016
Here for the gear

Try "clyp.it".

p.s.
Sorry, but bеttег late than never

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search