The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pro tools MBOX / MBOX 3 the saga...
Old 23rd October 2010
Deleted 6ccb844
Angry Pro tools MBOX / MBOX 3 the saga...

Well I bought an MBOX 3 today and I was excited after spending the last four days pissing around trying to use Adobe Audition as my main DAW.. When it crashed and I lost all my work I said right thats it. I went to the shop and bought my MBOX and I thought I was on a winner as I have used Pro tools for a long time (God knows what prompted me to use Adobe Audition?? P.S the Focusrite sapphire 24 is a good box if you don't need PT.)

Or so I thought.....

I open the box and I must admit that it does not look like the usuall 20p plastic crap Digi / Avid normally churn out.

But then the usual but expected problems arise, for some reason PT does not seem to think I have enough space for on my 1.5TB hard drive.. I was using windows xp SP2 instead of 3 so I upgraded and then I got to my next problem.

It appears the protools disk they shipped with my MBOX does not contain the drivers for it.. Simply WTF?? I have had an MBOX 1 and never had these silly issues..

I'm going to get some drivers and I will tell you how this all turns out
Old 23rd October 2010

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyvect View Post
Well I bought an MBOX 3 today and I was excited after spending the last four days pissing around trying to use Adobe Audition as my main DAW.. When it crashed and I lost all my work I said right thats it. I went to the shop and bought my MBOX and I thought I was on a winner as I have used Pro tools for a long time (God knows what prompted me to use Adobe Audition?? P.S the Focusrite sapphire 24 is a good box if you don't need PT.)

Or so I thought.....

I open the box and I must admit that it does not look like the usuall 20p plastic crap Digi / Avid normally churn out.

But then the usual but expected problems arise, for some reason PT does not seem to think I have enough space for on my 1.5TB hard drive.. I was using windows xp SP2 instead of 3 so I upgraded and then I got to my next problem.

It appears the protools disk they shipped with my MBOX does not contain the drivers for it.. Simply WTF?? I have had an MBOX 1 and never had these silly issues..

I'm going to get some drivers and I will tell you how this all turns out
It's always a good idea not to install the drivers from the disk anyway - given the manufacturing lead time, the website will almost always have more up to date drivers.
Old 23rd October 2010 | Show parent
Deleted 6ccb844
Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
It's always a good idea not to install the drivers from the disk anyway - given the manufacturing lead time, the website will almost always have more up to date drivers.
That's good to know, I bought an MBOX 1 and because of all the bad things said about the MBOX2 I went down the focusrite route and used Cubase and Audobe Audition, I just could not produce anything of the same quality.. Pro tools still has the edge as far as I know. The new MBOX looks pretty sweet it's pretty heavy too, I'm hoping that it reflects good build quality.

Last edited by Deleted 6ccb844; 23rd October 2010 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: Made no sense
Old 23rd October 2010 | Show parent
Deleted 6ccb844
Angry God dam it

Well I downloaded the drivers pack, it turns out my version of XP is not quite as up to date as F**cking drivers would like it to be.. So I got so annoyed and now my External hard drive is a mini hard drive from repeated smashing. I'm going to buy windows 7 and I will continue my review of the irritating yet hopefully fantastic MBOX 3.

I have 6 weeks left to record an EP, this is going to be interesting.
Old 24th October 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Sounds like a blessing in disguise to get your system up to date!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have 5 protools systems, the mbox, the mbox2pro,Eleven, OO2 rack and
an HD1 and they have all run flawlessly on, G4, G5,imac, powerbook and 2 macbooks. I would think that the problem is just that it's new hardware?
Or Windoz?
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURTHTUNZ View Post
I have 5 protools systems, the mbox, the mbox2pro,Eleven, OO2 rack and
an HD1 and they have all run flawlessly on, G4, G5,imac, powerbook and 2 macbooks. I would think that the problem is just that it's new hardware?
Or Windoz?
It is a windows problem buddy, it's just frustrating because I love my gadgets and I want to play with them nooooowwww... Still like a kid when it comes to these things but if I wasn't I probably would not of bothered and gone into a studio heh
Old 24th October 2010
Deleted 6ccb844
Slow Mo

Well I bought Windows 7 upgraded my PC now is quad core with 4 GB DDR. I setup pro tools and it is all installed... I get into pro tools to add my drum track and find that for some reason it is in slow motion.

I listen just to any song, for e.g. an .mp3 on my pc and guess what it runs in slow motion???????????

I am laughing hysterically because Partially I think it's funny and partly because I am starting to loose the plot and go postal..
Deleted 6ccb844
Good news

I have good news everyone, it's working I installed not the latest drivers off the website but the one's before it and it works fine.. on the positive side I have found that I have Melodyne bundled in with my stuff
Deleted 6ccb844
Smile SHIZ

Scrap that last one, everytime I open protools the sound goes into slowmo untill I re-install the drivers... I am waiting for avid support to get back to me, I must admit I am so unhappy with it at the moment. I can't do anything untill it's fixed and how long is that going to be?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
this is weird - puts me off even considering making the switch from my mac system to pc based system.

and to think i was gonna build a recording pc - not now !
Deleted 6ccb844
It's all down hill

Well I logged a fault with AVID this morning, I guess it's sunday.. But you never know I might not hear anything back. I am thinking about just giving up as a last shot I'm going to install it on my SP3 laptop and hope for the best.

So I think I have finally had enough of Avid and M-audio ****... Any suggestions on replacements and something as good as pro tools to use?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd recommend Sonar or Reaper
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Get a Mac.
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by geektanic08 View Post
Get a Mac.
Don't tempt me..
Deleted 6ccb844
Well here is the latest update, I installed pt on my XP laptop and as soon as I opened PT I have the same issue.

I'm going to go and swop my mbox tomorrow as I really want PT Ideally... I will tell you how it goes tomorrow...
Old 25th October 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well here is the latest update, I installed pt on my XP laptop and as soon as I opened PT I have the same issue.

I'm going to go and swop my mbox tomorrow as I really want PT Ideally... I will tell you how it goes tomorrow...
It's a known issue. This sample rate issue seems to affect a certain batch of the new MBox's.

AVID will be in touch with you and will ship you a new one.
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi View Post
It's a known issue. This sample rate issue seems to affect a certain batch of the new MBox's.

AVID will be in touch with you and will ship you a new one.
That's so good to hear thanks sir.
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I wouldn't blame this completely on the PC. I have never had any issues with anything.. (enough of this)

I was thinking on getting the MBox Mini, just to learn PT. I use Cubase 5.. But i've read so much crap about them.. Anyone own one? Or know anything about them.

Sorry, for going a bit of topic!
Deleted 6ccb844
Right I went back to the store and they said there is a known issue with a small batch of them where the Internal clocking chip does not work as it should...

I'll get my MBOX back tomorrow and I will start a review finally
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azriel_7 View Post
I take it from your initial post that this was an impulse buy?
Never a good idea with PT LE.
It always pays to see how people with your computer are doing as well as how the PT interface you want is performing.

Nothing worse than getting your high hopes derailed by known problems.
Then again there are people on the DUC (or whatever Avid calls it now) who will say the new mBox has no issues even with others posting of their problems.
At least your issues should be resolved shortly and Win7 is definitely better than XP, so that upgrade is a plus.
Just to mention I have several PC's all with different spec's and a couple of laptops, this is a hardware not a software issue, it's not about compatibility. I own a Cisco / HP networking company so I have many places to test.

But to be honest it was a little bit of an impulse by due to my other DAW crashing and loosing a day and a halfs work.. I don't even know how it managed to delete the wave files on my hard disk from the MT Session?

This issue even though it is well known to Avid has been kept on the hush.. I have found two other threads so far related to this on duc and it seems one has gone missing???

Somethings not quite right..

It was funny because the Avid account manager was at the place where I was complaining about the MBOX, kinda like being hit by an ambulance

Plus he showed me all his new toys including eleven rack which is sweet

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Just to mention I have several PC's all with different spec's and a couple of laptops, this is a hardware not a software issue, it's not about compatibility. I own a Cisco / HP networking company so I have many places to test.

But to be honest it was a little bit of an impulse by due to my other DAW crashing and loosing a day and a halfs work.. I don't even know how it managed to delete the wave files on my hard disk from the MT Session?

This issue even though it is well known to Avid has been kept on the hush.. I have found two other threads so far related to this on duc and it seems one has gone missing???

Somethings not quite right..

It was funny because the Avid account manager was at the place where I was complaining about the MBOX, kinda like being hit by an ambulance

Plus he showed me all his new toys including eleven rack which is sweet
Don't know about it being kept hush-hush...I've seen enough threads about it.

It's a new product - ever hear about cars being recalled because of faults? happens a fair amount...at least a faulty Mbox doesn't make your computer a deathtrap!
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Don't know about it being kept hush-hush...I've seen enough threads about it.

It's a new product - ever hear about cars being recalled because of faults? happens a fair amount...at least a faulty Mbox doesn't make your computer a deathtrap!
I must just need to learn how to use a search engine :P, I think it would be weird if MBOX's went on a electrocution rampage.

And another car analogy I see
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It is a windows problem buddy, it's just frustrating because I love my gadgets and I want to play with them nooooowwww... Still like a kid when it comes to these things but if I wasn't I probably would not of bothered and gone into a studio heh
Hey, didn't mean to rain on your parade heh
I hope you get it working, I've had this kind of thing happen to friends of mine.
Windoz is way better than in the old daze so you should be able to get it working as long as your pc is compatible.
You had some good suggestions already, good luck!
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURTHTUNZ View Post
Hey, didn't mean to rain on your parade heh
I hope you get it working, I've had this kind of thing happen to friends of mine.
Windoz is way better than in the old daze so you should be able to get it working as long as your pc is compatible.
You had some good suggestions already, good luck!
It's not a problem sir I want to play with my lovley mbox hehehe....
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azriel_7 View Post
Been dealing with PT LE since the days of the DIGI001 and the cute G3 to match.
Always drag my feet a little before moving to anything they release both hardware and software.
I try to keep my days as stress free as possible.

With the problems that have peeped out with the new mBox I'm wondering if that's why the mBox Pro release date keeps on changing?
I have the MBOX pro matey.

Avid Pro Tools Mbox is Mbox 3 | DV247

I live in the uk though don't know if it makes any diff.
Old 26th October 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I have the MBOX pro matey.

Avid Pro Tools Mbox is Mbox 3 | DV247

I live in the uk though don't know if it makes any diff.
According to ghat website, it is out of stock. I wonder if they pulled all stock due to a run of defects?
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsvisser View Post
According to ghat website, it is out of stock. I wonder if they pulled all stock due to a run of defects?
Nah they just ran out of stock, they are selling like crazy at the mo.. This is why I am having to wait for a replacement instead of getting one.
Deleted 6ccb844
Speaking of the above I'm still waiting for my MBOX.. :( The next one better work right ...
Old 27th October 2010 | Show parent
Deleted 6ccb844
Avid told me it's going to be another couple of days before it arrives :(
πŸ“ Reply