The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drum samples / goldbaby. Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 14th October 2010
Gear Nut

Drum samples / goldbaby.

Anyone know of any good drum sample packs? I downloaded the goldbaby 909tape pack and loved it at first however, now that somebody mentioned that they sound compressed/processed, I can't look at them in the same way anymore.
Old 21st October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJF View Post
Anyone know of any good drum sample packs? I downloaded the goldbaby 909tape pack and loved it at first however, now that somebody mentioned that they sound compressed/processed, I can't look at them in the same way anymore.
The taped samples certainly have the tape compression going on. Which is a good thing in my books! Tape does good things to drums!

However the raw samples are the 909 straight into my ULN-2. They are pristine and unprocessed...

So you get the best of both worlds!

If the sample has this in the file name it is raw: _Orig

-Hugo
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

I recently got the 808 tape samples and all i can say is: They suck.
The distortion doesnt do anything to the samples which makes them stand in the mix and get some coherency between the sounds.
To be honest, i've got this 808 kit i made myself in 2003 with a m-audio soundcard, and it beats the goldbaby samples to death. Its like they make samples sound like **** on purpose.
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizeh12 View Post
The distortion doesnt do anything to the samples which makes them stand in the mix and get some coherency between the sounds.
To be honest, i've got this 808 kit i made myself in 2003 with a m-audio soundcard, and it beats the goldbaby samples to death. Its like they make samples sound like **** on purpose.
I think that's my new marketing slogan right there! 'We make our samples sound like **** on purpose'.

- Hugo
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Goldbaby makes my favourite purposefully **** samples
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Wow! You do realize they are intentionally processed for the color of tape, do you?

I LOVE them!

OP: Why don't you just use your ears and judge for yourself?
"Now that somebody mentioned....." while first "Loved them at first..." deserves a huge

Unbelievable!
Old 5th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post

Wow! You do realize they are intentionally processed for the color of tape, do you?

Unbelievable!
Dude, its a marketing trick, if you want to fall for it,, go ahead.
Old 5th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dude, its a marketing trick, if you want to fall for it,, go ahead.

Hi Gizeh12, if you are unhappy with one of my products feel free to contact me directly. Always happy to help a customer with any issues they may have.

However I'm finding your posts on this thread rather insulting. Maybe you are just trolling... in which case I have bitten!

The Tape808 isn't a marketing trick. It is a product born of my love of the way drums sound on tape and love for TR808 (one of my all time favorite drum machines).

- Hugo
Old 5th December 2011
Geariophile

Wow. How deranged.
Old 6th December 2011
Gear interested

I own both WADRA sets. Goldbaby is the best. The guy's got great taste, great ears, and great gear.

Driven Machine Drums is awesome too.

Coincidentally, I recently bought a pack of snappers and fluffers from the fellow above me, Karloff, and it's excellent.

Wave Alchemy have some great releases. Sounds in HD are pretty good.

There's some good free stuff as well. Search for Rhythm Lab, Tape Death, and Signaltonoize.
Old 6th December 2011
Gear Head

gizeh12...You're mouth sounds like "****"!!! By all means, stick to your own kit

Goldbaby sample packs are top notch!! I use them all the time. Quite a few other people will concur. Thanx again Hugo!!
Old 6th December 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodlum View Post
Goldbaby is the best. The guy's got great taste, great ears, and great gear.
+1 and his prices are nice!

Looking forward to picking up Tape Vol 3 with the XD-5!! as well as some of the new synth packs.
Thanks for all the great sounds Hugo!
Old 7th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biolumin3sc3nt View Post
gizeh12...You're mouth sounds like "****"!!! By all means, stick to your own kit

Goldbaby sample packs are top notch!! I use them all the time. Quite a few other people will concur. Thanx again Hugo!!

Its just a bunch of samples, take it easy.
Old 7th December 2011
Gear Maniac

Goldbaby's samples are really great and are much more affordable than most. If you don't like them, move on...
Old 7th December 2011
Lives for gear

I'm a fanboy of the "****" they make!

I like em phat!
Old 8th December 2011
Gear maniac

goldbaby rocks
Old 8th December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Its just a bunch of samples, take it easy.
Lol. The irony. Oh, gizeh12, please keep them coming. Really, its a boring day at the office and I could use the cheap laughs.
Old 8th December 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the posts of support!

gizeh12 is entitled to his own opinion. Even if he his completely wrong...

Does the Smiley negate my blatant trolling.

- Hugo
Old 8th December 2011
Lives for gear

Ridiculous, especially since he has a tape machine avatar haha!

But gizeh also said that he stays away from PSP EQ's, because they ruined every mix he used them on
After I read that, I knew I can't take his opinion serious. (Sorry for going OT)

Goldbaby drums are great! ...and thanks for offering so many free libraries. (I use several frequently)
Old 9th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
Ridiculous, especially since he has a tape machine avatar haha!

But gizeh also said that he stays away from PSP EQ's, because they ruined every mix he used them on
After I read that, I knew I can't take his opinion serious. (Sorry for going OT)

Goldbaby drums are great! ...and thanks for offering so many free libraries. (I use several frequently)

So sad you took the trouble to dig up my posts because you equate your self esteem with your sample kit.
Old 9th December 2011
Lives for gear

"They suck" ?!?!?

How on earth can goldbaby's 808 samples suck? You get the original
samples as well as the processed ones for next to no money. It's fine if you don't like the processed samples, but saying his original samples suck is you either trolling or you have some sort of agenda!

Luckily, the industry is well aware of his samples and he has received many a praise, not just from slutz, mind you, and rightly so.

@Huggie
Keep them golden samples coming baby heh
Old 9th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
So sad you took the trouble to dig up my posts because you equate your self esteem with your sample kit.
Nope. I did remember, because I was shaking my head when I read that bold statement two, or so, weeks ago. Now this thread: it was all back in my mind. The tapemachine avatar guy with golden ears strikes again.
Old 9th December 2011
Lives for gear

So pathetic when people get offended when they see gear criticized they like,,,
Old 9th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
So pathetic when people get offended when they see gear criticized they like,,,
Saying one of my products 'suck' and then saying 'Its like they make samples sound like **** on purpose'. Well yes I am offended by your post.

As I stated before... if you are unhappy with one of my products feel free to contact me directly. Always happy to help a customer with any issues they may have. contact

- Hugo

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search