The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TC PowerCore Express / Win7 64 bit Mixers (Digital)
Old 3rd October 2010
Here for the gear

TC PowerCore Express / Win7 64 bit

Hi all,

Just upgraded my home studio. Waiting for to receive a Presonus Studiolive 24.4.2. mixer. I'm intending to use their Studio One Pro software. When waiting the new arrival I updated my Win XP to Win 7 64 bit.

My motherboard is an Asus P5K Pro, processor is an Intel Q6600 (Quad).

Installing Windows 7 64 bit was OK. Again OK was to throw in an old UAD-1 processor card (PCI). Then I encountered problems: my TC Electronic PowerCore Express (PCI-E) didn't install. I went to TC's site and downloaded the new 64 bit drivers. I installed the software first, re-booted the PC, shut it down, disconnected the power lead, installed the PoCo card, booted it up again. The PoCo Express just jams the PC!

Tried to find a solution from Asus site but their Win 7 support was quite poor for this mobo. I even had the newest BIOS (1303) running.

TC's support has always been quite bad. They probably only offer the solution for me to buy a new mother board.

Anyone of you have similar setup or any suggestions?

Regards,

-sb
Old 3rd October 2010
Gear Head

Have you tried disabling some of the onboard devices; sound, nic, etc. Also see if setting the BIOS to PnP free's up a resource. Is it strictly the driver causing a jam? Are you getting blue screens? Try safe-mode and unload the driver.
Old 3rd October 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprack View Post
Have you tried disabling some of the onboard devices; sound, nic, etc. Also see if setting the BIOS to PnP free's up a resource. Is it strictly the driver causing a jam? Are you getting blue screens? Try safe-mode and unload the driver.
Hi,

I've already disabled onboard sound, actually it has never been enabled. Sorry, what is "nic"? I also tried the BIOS PnP. No success.

No blue screens. It boots up normally and just in the end of the boot (already see the desktop) it just jams. No mouse movement, no keyboard lights.

Sorry, what is "safe-mode"?

-sb
Old 4th October 2010
Gear Head

NIC = network interface controller.
To get to safe-mode hit F8 right before the windows splash screen after BIOS, you'll get a menu to boot from. Choose safe-mode. Once you're there, go to Start -> Run -> msconfig.

Go to the startup tab and clear out all the programs that run at startup. After that hit ok and restart. It sounds like you have some program in startup that conflicts. You can also uninstall or disable the device in device manager if it is a driver initialization issue, though that's unlikely since drivers init long before the desktop comes up. Best of luck.
Old 29th December 2010
Any Update?

I thought I'd dig up this thread to see if you got it working.
Old 22nd April 2011
Anyone get it to work?

Since I've had no luck getting this card to work under Win7/64 bit, I'd really like to know if ANYONE has been able to. The TC forum does not look to be very useful, as most people post with a problem and then disappear..
Old 23rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Try different pcie slots!
Old 25th April 2011
I've done all that. The last test is I did was to completely re-build the system with NO 3rd party hardware or software... just a fresh install of Win7 64 bit, and a graphics card. I available PCIe slots were tested. I'm just trying to find anyone who has gotten this card to work under Win7 64bit.
Old 4th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I've done all that. The last test is I did was to completely re-build the system with NO 3rd party hardware or software... just a fresh install of Win7 64 bit, and a graphics card. I available PCIe slots were tested. I'm just trying to find anyone who has gotten this card to work under Win7 64bit.
just found this... perhaps the powercore card died on you?

you have done pretty much all there is...

Last edited by Retrospekta; 4th March 2012 at 12:58 AM.. Reason: completing the message
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrospekta View Post
just found this... perhaps the powercore card died on you?

you have done pretty much all there is...
Hey!

I have two PCIe cards on an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard running FLAWLESS with Windows 7 x64 SP1 Ultimate and Samplitude ProX 64-bit running all plugins with bridging.

I'm running the latest 4.4 beta 17 driver and a Registry fix I got from TC to make the cards use alot less native CPU.
Old 8th November 2012
Gear Head

Where can i find this registry fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcom View Post
Hey!

I have two PCIe cards on an Asus P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard running FLAWLESS with Windows 7 x64 SP1 Ultimate and Samplitude ProX 64-bit running all plugins with bridging.

I'm running the latest 4.4 beta 17 driver and a Registry fix I got from TC to make the cards use alot less native CPU.
Old 9th November 2012
Lives for gear

Administrator
If you encounter bad streaming performance with your PCI/PCIe based PowerCore (i.e. only max 4-5 plugins with 1024/512 samples IO buffer size can be used in parallel) you can enable an alternative streaming scheme that bypasses some limitations of PCI chipsets.

PowerCore 4.4.x driver supports alternate streaming schemes by setting a registry key.
Before tweaking these settings make sure your PowerCore works reliably with 4-5 plugins in your current hardware setup. You will only introduce new issues if any other issues are not cleared up before.
Don't fiddle around these settings if you don't encounter the described issue!

Open Regedit, find
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_1057&DEV_0002
or
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_1057&DEV_0006
All your installed PCI based PowerCores are registered under this key; each under its own cryptic sub key (something like 5&156269&0&000008).

Create a 32bit DWORD Value with the name "Streaming" in each of the registry key representing your PowerCores under its "Device Parameters" sub key. Set the value of newly created key to 2.

The final key should look something like this:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_1057&DEV_0006&SUBSYS_00200166&REV_14\5&156269&0&000008\Device Parameters]
"Streaming"=dword:00000002
The next time you load a plug-in onto a PowerCore with this key streaming will using PCI burst IO and bypassing the DMA for transaction from PC to PowerCore. We have only seen this direction having issues so far with some PCI chipsets. If this doesn't help you could also try the other direction by setting the value to 4, or both direction with 6. Any other value will be ignored.

We don't recommend to use PCI burst IO for any direction that doesn't need it.

Please report back!
Please put your setup in your signature!
This will help us to relate the issue you are talking about to a certain configuration.
Old 9th November 2012
We have been able to sucessfully install a Powercore MKII PCIe under Windows 7 x64 on amotherboard with an X58 chipset, Xeon 3690 hexacore processor (equivalent of i7 990).
We just finished an install on an Ivybridge system, also Win7x64 , and will build in the customers Powercore next week. I'll let you know how it went.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search