The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A new wave of Saturation Plugins, Marketing hype? or a cure for ITB Mixing?
View Poll Results: DO believe saturation plugins makes mixing itb sound better?
NO, (haven't tried a saturation plugin yet)
2 Votes - 2.15%
YES, (haven't tried a saturation plugin yet)
1 Votes - 1.08%
Undecided
14 Votes - 15.05%
NO, (and used a saturation plugin)
12 Votes - 12.90%
YES, (and used a saturation plugin)
64 Votes - 68.82%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th September 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
I still use Magneto as part of my Nuendo 3.2 setup. I love it. Used on every track, makes total difference. If I remove it, the digital sound is completely present, with it in place on every group, even as a send which is only seeing part of the signal, I notice a drastic difference in vibe. Not necessarily more punch or anything that can be nailed down by a description, but the feel of the song changes. I've even sent out mixes to clients where the only difference was the enabling of this one tape emulator instance and not a single client has chosen the one where the instance is not enabled.
HI!
Do you have some tipps how you use the Magneto let´s say on drums?Just subtile or totally cranked up?!?

Thanks,pat
Old 27th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patdcp View Post
HI!
Do you have some tipps how you use the Magneto let´s say on drums?Just subtile or totally cranked up?!?

Thanks,pat
I use it at 30ips cranked to about 80%. I leave the 'drive' knob alone as well as the input and output levels. This is the exact setting I use on every song no matter what genre. It is on a send in Nuendo and I send exactly -11 to each group track on the send, not individual tracks as a general rule. I found I can enable this the quickest on every track with 11 being the quickest to type in. Sometimes things that sound a bit 'harder' in the digital domain such as overheads and hi-hat see instances on the individual tracks as well as their group tracks, but keep in mind that this plug-in also adds apparent volume, so you'll have to readjust your fader as well doing this.

Keep in mind also, that being on a send, people will say that you are doing it 'incorrectly', that tape saturation is not being used properly being that even sending a high level on a send still means that only part and not the whole signal is seeing the saturation. However, while this may be true, at 80% on this particular plug-in, I get the results I'm looking for. I get the volume and punch I expect and need. The is one of the many 'tricks' in the digital world that I love over a console. I can also compress the saturation plug-in with a UAD Fairchild/La2a/1176...anything. Heck, I can even EQ the send and filter it with a 1081 which also changes things sonically, all of which are a PITA on a real console.
Old 3rd February 2019
Lives for gear

I am constantly mastering albums where people have used / abused sat plugs everywhere and on everything. it's bad news. these recordings have no peak to average ratio and in a professional mastering sense are 'unmasterable'. ton's of digital artifacts just below audibility in the mix are added by these sat plugs and come right to the surface with further processing to become pointy crackling. it's anxiety inducing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search