The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Cla signature series bass plug in question
Old 13th September 2010
  #1
Cla signature series bass plug in question

I know this may get me alot of "use your ears" but I just demoed the cla bass plug and have not been able to figure out what is going on eq wise. I know as soon as you turn it on it scoops mids and adds lows in a very pleasing way. Any insight into what is being cut right from the start would be great.
Old 13th September 2010
  #2
Lives for gear
 
OceanMan's Avatar
 

I'd like to know this too... My bass chain right now is cla bass+cla76+maxxbass and I'm getting massive tone
Old 13th September 2010
  #3
Hey

I saw his write up where he says he uses pultec and ssl eqs but Im looking for the specific cut in the mid range. Any body with perfect pitch out there?
Old 8th March 2011
  #4
Gear Nut
 

I ran some EQ analysis on the whole cla-signature bundle. See if i can send you some eq plots of the cuts etc when everything is 'off' on each of the plugs.
As far as i remember, the cla-guitar in amp-bypass mode, and cla-drums in cowbell mode are completely flat.
All the others have some sort of curve.
Old 8th March 2011
  #5
Mho
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiccup View Post
I ran some EQ analysis on the whole cla-signature bundle. See if i can send you some eq plots of the cuts etc when everything is 'off' on each of the plugs.
As far as i remember, the cla-guitar in amp-bypass mode, and cla-drums in cowbell mode are completely flat.
All the others have some sort of curve.
Thx for the info!! Yes, you are right, I have noticed the same thing. I thought that the "Unplugged" plugin was flat too. It is not??
Do you have any analysis plugin? I tried the christian plugin but it didn´t work with waves. I did it "by hand" with voxengo curveEQ.
I would like to know if there is some compression by default in the plugins.


BTW, the mid EQ in the Bass plugin I think it is a 5 db cut in the 800hz range.
Old 9th March 2011
  #6
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mho View Post


BTW, the mid EQ in the Bass plugin I think it is a 5 db cut in the 800hz range.

That' weird. CLA always says that he boosts in the mids and doesn't cut. He boosts at 800 hz and around 2.5 k.

But for the plugs maybe the settings are different. I haven't tried them, so you may be right
Old 22nd April 2011
  #7
Mho
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiccup View Post
I ran some EQ analysis on the whole cla-signature bundle. See if i can send you some eq plots of the cuts etc when everything is 'off' on each of the plugs.
As far as i remember, the cla-guitar in amp-bypass mode, and cla-drums in cowbell mode are completely flat.
All the others have some sort of curve.
(bump!) How did you did the EQ analysis?
Old 22nd April 2011
  #8
Cla signature series bass plug in question

I would like to see the plots if you still have then
Old 22nd April 2011
  #9
Gear Head
 
Oneya's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanMan View Post
I'd like to know this too... My bass chain right now is cla bass+cla76+maxxbass and I'm getting massive tone
sweet
Old 7th May 2011
  #10
Mho
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mho View Post
(bump!) How did you did the EQ analysis?
Old 11th May 2011
  #11
Gear Maniac
 
Adura's Avatar
 

This is the diagram he wrote and sent to Waves:


Old 22nd August 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
 
bryan k's Avatar
I ran a flat frequency White Noise and checked out the EQs in the CLA bass.

There is NO cutting of the mids going on when the plugin is inserted. There is a slight boost of 60hz (about 2 db) and another boost at 2k (2-3 db). The only time there is a "mid dip" is when you turn on the overdrive "Growl", and that sucks the 800hz by 5db while boosting more 2k.
Old 22nd August 2011
  #13
Gear Maniac
 
Jayrawk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan k View Post
I ran a flat frequency White Noise and checked out the EQs in the CLA bass.

There is NO cutting of the mids going on when the plugin is inserted. There is a slight boost of 60hz (about 2 db) and another boost at 2k (2-3 db). The only time there is a "mid dip" is when you turn on the overdrive "Growl", and that sucks the 800hz by 5db while boosting more 2k.
Interesting. Have you run tests on the other cla signature plugins? If so, I would love to know whats going on behind the scenes.
Old 22nd August 2011
  #14
Lives for gear
 
bryan k's Avatar
i did do the CLA guitars.....not fully, but a few things to notice...

The plugin itself with all the things turned OFF....the plugin is FLAT. When you select the dial for clean/crunch/heavy.....the EQ curves are apparent and happen (a bump at 100hz by 2db, and a hi-shelf with a very low slope at 5k on up by 1db)

Also noticed that the EQ for HIGHS and LOWS is nothing more than a high/low shelf.

Low shelves at 120/100/80hz and below
High shelves at 5k/8k/10k and above
Old 22nd August 2011
  #15
Gear Maniac
 
Jayrawk's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan k View Post
i did do the CLA guitars.....not fully, but a few things to notice...

The plugin itself with all the things turned OFF....the plugin is FLAT. When you select the dial for clean/crunch/heavy.....the EQ curves are apparent and happen (a bump at 100hz by 2db, and a hi-shelf with a very low slope at 5k on up by 1db)

Also noticed that the EQ for HIGHS and LOWS is nothing more than a high/low shelf.

Low shelves at 120/100/80hz and below
High shelves at 5k/8k/10k and above
Great. Thanks for the info!
Old 22nd August 2011
  #16
Never had to do that much to a bass to make it sound right.
Old 11th July 2012
  #17
Lives for gear
 
nickelironsteel's Avatar
 

informative thread
Old 11th July 2012
  #18
Gear Maniac
 
Adura's Avatar
 

Old 11th July 2012
  #19
Lives for gear
 
bryan k's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
presets have never been that expensive

BASS -- SUB / LOWER / UPPER (=all REQ)
TREBLE -- HONK / BARK / CUT (=REQ, Q10, SSLChannel)
COMPRESS -- PUSH (=CLA-76) / SPANK (=CLA-76) / WALL (=L1)
SUB (=RBASS)
DISTORTION -- GROWL (=GTR STOMP OVERDRIVE + GTR STOMP AXXPRESS) / ROAR (=GTR STOMP FUZZ) / RIP (=GTR STOMP AXXPRESS)
PITCH - CHORUS / WIDER / SPREADER (=all Doubler)

real world:

BASS -- MANLEY PULTEC EQP-1A or CONSOLE if the MANLEYS are occupied with Kick and Snare processing
TREBLE -- CONSOLE
COMPRESS -- his favorite compressors for bass are the black UREI 1176, he has different versions of them, some are more aggressive than others
SUB -- he runs the DI signal to his JBL PA Subwoofer via his Radial JD7 Injector and mics it.
DISTORTION -- he runs it flat through a BAE racked vintage 1073 for some extra bite
PITCH -- not doing much chorusing these days

if the amp is out of phase he tosses it and brings the DI up on 2 channels.

How do you know all this is fact? Do you work for Waves or was part of "the making" of this plugin collection?

the one thing that strikes me as odd is this......

PLUGIN--> TREBLE -- HONK / BARK / CUT (=REQ, Q10, SSLChannel)
REAL World--> TREBLE -- CONSOLE

Why wouldnt the plugin simply use SSL Channel for all 3 Honk, Bark and Cut is thats what Alge uses in the real world?
Old 2nd September 2012
  #20
Lives for gear
 
nickelironsteel's Avatar
 

thats what my ears tell me
Old 2nd September 2012
  #21
Mho
Lives for gear
 

Nickel do you know if he compresses di and bass together or each in separate 1176?
Old 2nd September 2012
  #22
Lives for gear
 
nickelironsteel's Avatar
 

no idea he never mentioned it in an interview
Old 2nd September 2012
  #23
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mho View Post
Nickel do you know if he compresses di and bass together or each in separate 1176?
Splits all out on board.
Old 2nd September 2012
  #24
Mho
Lives for gear
 

So, separate compressors for each?
Old 2nd September 2012
  #25
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mho View Post
So, separate compressors for each?
yes.
Old 2nd September 2012
  #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adura View Post
This is the diagram he wrote and sent to Waves:


Very professional... :-)
Old 26th October 2018
  #27
Mho
Lives for gear
 

Some years later...
I still like this plugin. I really like the overdrive built in, I would like to replicate the growl setting outside this plugin. Any ideas how it is done? Some said waves gtr stomp overdrive.
Old 27th October 2018
  #28
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mho View Post
Some years later...
I still like this plugin. I really like the overdrive built in, I would like to replicate the growl setting outside this plugin. Any ideas how it is done? Some said waves gtr stomp overdrive.
Me too.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #29
Gear Addict
 

Still not getting any information about the growl setting
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump