The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tracking and mixing with a FLASH DRIVE?
Old 16th December 2005
Lives for gear

Tracking and mixing with a FLASH DRIVE?

I've had my share of CRASHED hard drives (3 so far, and I don't do a lot of projects), so I'm very paranoid about hearing clicking sounds on my computer

I can fit a 44.1/24 project on a GB or so, so I was wondering if any of you have recorded/mixed multitrack audio on/from a flash drive ... is it possible? That would make my worries go away. Of course, after the mix I would dump the data into a HD, but I would save the HD from the crazy work...

Is the throughput sufficient? are the drives reliable enough?

I'm talking about aprox 24 tracks at 44.1/24
Old 16th December 2005
Lives for gear

Unlikely.

starting with the protocol USB1.1 probably won't be fast enough but USB2.0 possily will. You will get quite a hit on your CPU too (USB=cpu intensive). BUT you the flash memory is really slow (it's not SDRAM !) - read/write speeds will be super slow. Try copying 1 gig to it and see !!!

I think it might be an overreaction. I've seen the other thread regarding the number of people having HD problems, but to be honest they're pretty reliable things.

In my day job I look after 600/700 machines (over 1000 hard drives ?), running 24/7 and very, very rarely lose a hard drive (maybe 5 a year). Seagate/maxtor/WD - all about the same reliablity, sometimes you get a bad batch but over the years they're all about the same.

Make sure you keep 'em cool and don't move them when they're spinning. HDs are pretty.

Also bear in mind that you can get a 40gig HD for $40 - so thats $1 per gig. So what if they fail everynow and again!

si
Old 22nd December 2005
Gear Maniac

I'd like to add another twist to this thread. Has anyone heard of Flash drives screwing with your machine?

I recently had my PowerBook's hard drive and logic board go down (Thank GOD I had Apple Care, so I didn't have to pay for it). The last thing I did before this week-long nightmare began was put a USB 2.0 flash drive in my USB port, copy a file over, eject it, then remove it. I then tried to open a file in Digital Performer which took about 5 minutes, so I quit it. Everything else I then tried doing went extremely slow so I went to restart the machine. That's the last I saw of that machine/HD set up...

For now, I'm gonna stick with my superstitions and stay away from those darned things for a while...

-Kenny D

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search