The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
automap - worst software ever?
Old 16th September 2014
Lives for gear

Sounds complicated.Its like..if you can get it to work,its great.
Old 16th September 2014
Lives for gear
i ended up just mapping everything to MIDI CCs on my 25SL, automap is just too much hassle for me. I dont mind the hardware but it is built cheap and very plastic. I may replace it with the new NI controller if that turns out to be good.

Oh and I paid for the pro upgrade too which I though was ridiculous.
Old 16th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
You may have seen this, but I thought it might help.

Thanks Brockorama, but it's the very first bit that doesn't work - scanning doesn't show up the automap mixer icon, and I can't, therefore select it as my device.

On the other hand, most of it seems to be working with Logic now, except that it has to scan all my plugins every time I open my DAW (or MainStage, for that matter), and I still can't get the learn function to work.

Thanks anyway

UPDATE: Having followed the instructions for curing problems with Logic on the Novation website, it has now gone completely haywire again. I can get it to control one thing at a time, but when I open, say the mixer window, it steadfastly refuses to control the mixer, but stays controlling the plugin I had it on before. It has also now stopped seeing any of my Native Instrument plugins, so I can't control any of them (again). I know others seem to be able to get it to work, but I cannot - big pile of poo!
Old 16th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleeden View Post
I can get it to control one thing at a time, but when I open, say the mixer window, it steadfastly refuses to control the mixer, but stays controlling the plugin I had it on before. It has also now stopped seeing any of my Native Instrument plugins, so I can't control any of them (again). I know others seem to be able to get it to work, but I cannot - big pile of poo!
Hmmm, and you have selected "mixer" on the Novation 49 SL MkII?..... instead of User, which is where I control my Vsti's for learning.

I noticed "all midi inputs" for my instrument tracks communicates well...that threw me for a while. Good luck.
Old 17th September 2014
Lives for gear

My SLII 61 has been sitting in a corner for years now. I've lent it to a couple people to see if they can make use of it and both times it was brought back.

I really wish Roland would do a modern take on the A-70 / A-90. I love have mod/pitch wheels AND the mod/pitch paddle.
Old 17th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama View Post
Hmmm, and you have selected "mixer" on the Novation 49 SL MkII?..... instead of User, which is where I control my Vsti's for learning.

I noticed "all midi inputs" for my instrument tracks communicates well...that threw me for a while. Good luck.
Yup, tried that, and still no luck. The other thing that's really bugging me is there seems to be no way I can get it to see my NI instruments and effects any more.

Now, here's the really strange bit - I did manage to get it to see NI stuff for a while, but only by opening MainStage. When I did that, all the NI stuff showed up with automap versions next to them in the pick lists in MainStage, then when I opened up Logic, there they were and I was able to control the NI stuff. However, as some other stuff wasn't working, I followed the instructions to reset everything for Logic (as quoted above), and lo and behold, automap won't see my NI stuff any more (and opening MainStage doesn't work this time!).

I've raised a support ticket with Novation, so we'll see.

Thanks for your suggestions anyway.
Old 24th September 2014
Lives for gear

UPDATE

OK, I'm changing my opinion - it isn't the worst software ever, but it does take quite a bit of figuring out, particularly, it seems, with Macs and Logic X. Novation tech support have been really good, I have to say, and there's some good resources on their answerbase. I now have Automap working with Logic X and all my plugins except Sylenth, and have accepted that it isn't compatible with Mainstage - however, I have been pointed to the relevant info for how to get my SL MkII to control Mainstage and Sylenth by creating templates.

If anyone else is having probs with Automap and a Mac, this is a good place to start:
Old 24th September 2014
Gear Maniac

automap is indeed awful. and so is the nocturn
Old 7th February 2015
Here for the gear

I'm having a bunch of issues with Automap in Logic.

1) When I change patches, when I have my Impulse 49 plugged in, sometimes the patches will take way way WAY too long to load. If I unplug the keyboard from my computer the patches load up much more quickly.

2) Possibly related to #1 , when I load projects, if I have my keyboard plugged in, sometimes it will stall. Unplugging the keyboard will let the project load almost instantly.

3) Sometimes I move knobs and they don't register as being moved in Logic as they should. If I keep moving the knobs it will register the movement every once in a while. Like it's lagged or intermittent or something.

It's super annoying.
Old 7th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTritoneTerror View Post
I'm having a bunch of issues with Automap in Logic.

1) When I change patches, when I have my Impulse 49 plugged in, sometimes the patches will take way way WAY too long to load. If I unplug the keyboard from my computer the patches load up much more quickly.

2) Possibly related to #1 , when I load projects, if I have my keyboard plugged in, sometimes it will stall. Unplugging the keyboard will let the project load almost instantly.

3) Sometimes I move knobs and they don't register as being moved in Logic as they should. If I keep moving the knobs it will register the movement every once in a while. Like it's lagged or intermittent or something.

It's super annoying.
Look in your System Information (or System Profiler on older OSX versions) and see what it's sharing the USB tree with.
Old 7th February 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by valis View Post
Look in your System Information (or System Profiler on older OSX versions) and see what it's sharing the USB tree with.
Just my mouse.

Old 8th February 2015
Gear Guru

Novations can be a little touchy about sharing. I think they might prefer full port power.
Old 8th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTritoneTerror View Post
Just my mouse.

Muser's point about power is a valid one, as is the fact that you're using it on a USB3 port. You might try a powered USB hub with at least 2.6A on the wall-wart (power supply) and see if that helps.
Old 8th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
Novations can be a little touchy about sharing. I think they might prefer full port power.
If you are referring to SHARING info on Automap working with AAX you are absolutely correct! - Zing!!
Old 8th February 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
If you are referring to SHARING info on Automap working with AAX you are absolutely correct! - Zing!!
mm no I wasn't actually. but what's all that (info / sharing / AAX) all about ?
Old 9th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
mm no I wasn't actually. but what's all that (info / sharing / AAX) all about ?
I was just trying to make a funny play on words BUT the deal is Automap does not work with AAX. Novation started a thread on their forum 11/23/2013 to give the official status of their "talks with Avid" and were really good at responding, updating etc. then stopped.

Last post by a rep was 5/9/14 and it said:
Hi all,
Just a quick update - I have no new news on this. We are continuing to pursue this with Avid, and I will bring back any further information I recieve.
Thank you all for your continued patience in this difficult situation.

Best wishes,
Taylor
Nothing since then - there have been other questions posted but none responded to. Their last information was a year after AAX was released and it's coming up on nearly another year ago. No functionality in Pro Tools which is fine but it would be nice of them to just admit it'll never work.
Old 9th February 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Nothing since then - there have been other questions posted but none responded to. Their last information was a year after AAX was released and it's coming up on nearly another year ago. No functionality in Pro Tools which is fine but it would be nice of them to just admit it'll never work.
ahh I see. which was the last version of PT it still worked with.
i'm not sure what the reasons are but softubes don't seem to have
many immediate plans for AAX either. maybe they don't allow
any kind of plug-in wrapping.
Old 9th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
ahh I see. which was the last version of PT it still worked with.
i'm not sure what the reasons are but softubes don't seem to have
many immediate plans for AAX either. maybe they don't allow
any kind of plug-in wrapping.
It worked great with PT10 and earlier (anything with RTAS plugins) But your guess is correct - avid doesn't allow wrapping for aax plugins.

When they discovered this, Novation said they were going to try to change the way Automap worked to get rid of the wrapping all together. While that was potentially good news for PT users, it might break the way the controllers work with everything else / old sessions etc. and cause a lot of headaches. I don't think they are in a very good position but, again, I'd rather they just say it won't ever work.
Old 10th February 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
It worked great with PT10 and earlier (anything with RTAS plugins) But your guess is correct - avid doesn't allow wrapping for aax plugins.

When they discovered this, Novation said they were going to try to change the way Automap worked to get rid of the wrapping all together. While that was potentially good news for PT users, it might break the way the controllers work with everything else / old sessions etc. and cause a lot of headaches. I don't think they are in a very good position but, again, I'd rather they just say it won't ever work.
I suppose they could say they have no immediate plans at least.
Old 4th April 2015
Here for the gear
Cubase 7.5 here on a windows 64 bit system...

Zero SL MK2 everything installed fine but for some reason, no parameters show on the automap editor and when the odd parameter shows on a plugin, moving the corresponding fader/knob does nothing! The automap software is recognizing the software by name but simply is not showing any parameters for editing... Beyond this the transport features just do nothing. If I use another midi controller the corresponding transport buttons light up but the moment i press those buttons on the novation, nothing happens!

Sad really, it seemed like a well priced fix for plugin control, I guess the Euphonix will have to be the way forward...
Old 5th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeel View Post
Cubase 7.5 here on a windows 64 bit system...

Zero SL MK2 everything installed fine but for some reason, no parameters show on the automap editor and when the odd parameter shows on a plugin, moving the corresponding fader/knob does nothing! The automap software is recognizing the software by name but simply is not showing any parameters for editing... Beyond this the transport features just do nothing. If I use another midi controller the corresponding transport buttons light up but the moment i press those buttons on the novation, nothing happens!

Sad really, it seemed like a well priced fix for plugin control, I guess the Euphonix will have to be the way forward...
You have to first insure that you've 'wrapped' the plugins you want to access via Automap, and then insure that you're *loading* the wrapped version of the plugin and not the original...
Old 10th April 2015
Here for the gear
everything wrapped fine and of course utilising automap rather than the standard versions...
I found a solution in the end...
Avid Artist Mix...
I have previously used automap (number of years ago)...
I can honestly say the improvements made over the years are clearly nil!
The artist mix was a bit fiddly to setup but THE FUNCTIONALITY.
Great piece of gear.
Old 10th April 2015
Lives for gear

2 completely different tiers of product/price in my opinion, but happy you have a solution.
📝 Reply