The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mellowmuse ATA for PT sounds thin?? DAW Software
Old 26th July 2010
Gear addict

Mellowmuse ATA for PT sounds thin??

Hi,

I just tried the demo version of Mellowmuse ATA, and when A/B'ing ATA versus no ATA, The tracks seem to sound fuller with more body without it. The ATA tracks sound clear, but actually a bit thinner in comparison.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Thanks for your help.

Jake
Old 26th July 2010

Sounds like your experiencing some kind phase issues.

I'd recommend test ata vs nudging to get a true idea. If nudging also gets you a fuller sound, then your ata setup isn't correct.

It takes a while to understand the 'layers' of setting up an ata session.
Old 26th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgizmo View Post
Sounds like your experiencing some kind phase issues.

I'd recommend test ata vs nudging to get a true idea. If nudging also gets you a fuller sound, then your ata setup isn't correct.

It takes a while to understand the 'layers' of setting up an ata session.
Just about to say that. thumbsup.

Don't you love LE?
Old 27th July 2010
Gear addict

Thank you for confirming my suspicions...LE is a gem..lmao.

I have always nudged the tracks, but from what Mellowmuse is saying, is that PT only reports what the plugins tell them and it's not accurate. Also, the bus delay is more of a concern than the audio.

Thanks for your feedback...Anyone else??
Old 27th July 2010
Gear addict

I've been a happy user of ATA - it was easier for me to implement since I already used busses for all my tracks, including a 2mix track (instead of just having a master fader). Thus, even in the 'old days' when a dry bus was required, it wasn't much work to fit it into my workflow.

It's gotten even easier since then, however, you still have to pay attention and know what is going on.

I would download the mellowmuse example templates, that way you are able to see and work with a properly set up session file, and can compare against how you are using it to identify any potential mistakes.

Honestly though, these days I rarely use it. None of my plugs have substantial latency, and I just don't hear any difference with or without it. But, if I run something a bit heavier on one of the actual tracks (i.e. an L1, or if you utilize UAD) it's still a godsend compared to nudging or other manual methods.
Old 27th July 2010
Yeah, I certainly found that ATA is a little more trouble than it's worth, considering most plugins don't cause latency with a high enough i/o buffer setting. You shouldn't be hearing any sonic coloration, but if you are, it would probably be easier to nudge anywho.
Old 27th July 2010
Gear addict

I could have sworn that I did set it up correctly. All my audio trks are set to audio and any sub group is set to Aux 1 as are my reverb units. I am however, busing my master track to a stereo audio track instead of the regular bounce to disk...it sounds better to me, so perhaps that is the issue?

For a while there, I was pinging the reverbs and delays, until I read that that is not recommended so I muted the tracks..who knows?

I agree, if it's this much trouble, it may not be worth the hassle...But I do hear a definite differe3nce when the ATAs are bypassed.
Old 4th August 2010
Gear maniac

Bus routing is only necessary when compensating for send latency - which btw nudging can't fix.
ATA uses the same bus routing approach as using standard Digi Time Adjusters when compensating for send latency.
ATA doesn't change the audio in any way - try a null test.
Old 4th August 2010
Gear Head

Mellowmuse is not a top line software developer. I tried some plugins and didn't like them too. People don't talk about their plugins too. Maybe in some time they will improve their sound.
Old 4th August 2010
Lives for gear

MM ATA has no sound to it. You are doing something wrong.
Old 4th August 2010
Lives for gear

I gave up on using the ATA. At the end of the day (for me), it's easier/faster to use TimeAdjuster plugins and the calculator on my iPod Touch (which is also a companion controller to my Nocturn for controlling plugins).
Old 4th August 2010
Gear interested

I have pro tools LE v8.04 system. With the expansion tool kik 128 tracks. I'm trying to mix a CD session with 60 audio tracks and the ATA mellow muse plug in. I have a professional engineer helping mix the project. We have arrived to the conclusion to mix these large sessions on a daily basis we have to upgrade to an HD system, or Logic or Nuendo 5. Any suggestions?
Old 4th August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorchb3 View Post
I have pro tools LE v8.04 system. With the expansion tool kik 128 tracks. I'm trying to mix a CD session with 60 audio tracks and the ATA mellow muse plug in. I have a professional engineer helping mix the project. We have arrived to the conclusion to mix these large sessions on a daily basis we have to upgrade to an HD system, or Logic or Nuendo 5. Any suggestions?
If you have the money and working on those kinds of projects of that size. HD.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search