The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Goodbye Pro Tools, Hello Reaper!! DAW Software
Old 20th July 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks Ringo Mod,

I will check it out.
Old 20th July 2014
Gear Addict
Still no global input quantize in Reaper.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

I just gave away my HD3 today, I am so in love with Reaper! How could I have been so blind all this time? Thanks to all of you who helped me see the light!
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
I just gave away my HD3 today, I am so in love with Reaper! How could I have been so blind all this time? Thanks to all of you who helped me see the light!

Better change your sig!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I wish I had made the move sooner.
I am retiring Pro Tools Ultimate and HDX together Pro Tools 10HD with HD6 Magma system and D-Command console.
This inexpensive Reaper app makes me quicker, I have more fun doing my mixing work and I earn more money. Once I learned how to operate Reaper, the decision was simple.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Sarcasm noted. I'm sure you think you're hilarious. If PT is working fine for you no need to switch. As for me, I used PT for about five years, and switched to Reaper about three years ago. For me, Reaper is better, straight up, and it's not close - again, for my uses.

I realize Avid supporters haven't had much to cheer about over the last few years as the product has all but stood still, and you continue to pay for bug fixes. I'm sure the frustration boils over at times.

Quote:
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

At Goodwill I bought ProTools for Dummies for $3 and might frame the cover and throw the book away, because after training on it from 1999-on I do think I was a dummy for spending so much time with it!
And don't get me started on the hellish year that was ProTools Free
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
Sarcasm noted. I'm sure you think you're hilarious. If PT is working fine for you no need to switch. As for me, I used PT for about five years, and switched to Reaper about three years ago. For me, Reaper is better, straight up, and it's not close - again, for my uses.

I realize Avid supporters haven't had much to cheer about over the last few years as the product has all but stood still, and you continue to pay for bug fixes. I'm sure the frustration boils over at times.
At some point you kids are going to learn to grow up and quit acting like a child on online forums. Just because someone has a different idea than you, doesn’t mean you have to act like a spoiled little brat.
Enjoy your little DAW Project!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I enjoy the flexibility of Reaper. I am just starting to use Reaper Windows and Reaper Native Linux on same time. 1 PC 1HD 1 Screen Simultaneously and I lover that! get to use DLL & ,so - VST and LinVST sweet.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Kids? Wow, lots of assumptions. Sad. I suspect I'm older than you. I retired five years ago. I bought my first reel to reel tape machine from Allied radio in 1966 from money I earned delivering newspapers. If you re-read my post, there was nothing disrespectful or negative in it, so you must have read into it what you wanted. All I did was note your sarcasm, which really wasn't funny, just again, sad.

Quote:
At some point you kids are going to learn to grow up and quit acting like a child on online forums. Just because someone has a different idea than you, doesn’t mean you have to act like a spoiled little brat.
Enjoy your little DAW Project!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good move. It's about time.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Why give it away, why not keep it and put it to good use from time to time, such as a client gives you a project that's in pro tools and doesn't want to spend the time printing stems?

I find editing audio in pro tools a snap, especially drums and vocals. I've used Reaper in the past for a few simple tasks, but didn't see it being better for these tasks...perhaps I'm just missing something or did they upgraded their audio editing flow?

I have Logic, I probably use it once or twice a year. For those times when I'm glad I have it instead of thinking, fk why did I ditch it.

Good luck...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I'm 99% sure that post is pure sarcasm. If you read his follow-up to me, it's clear he thinks that Reaper users are kids who are not serious about music or production. I'm sure it came as a surprise I'm an avid Reaper user older than most of the people on this board, and who started in audio about the time the Beatles came out.

I don't know this particular user, so I don't know if this applies to him. But there are a lot of old-school PT users who are unhappy these days. Today, native is powerful enough that only the most demanding users require the Avid DSP boards that some paid so much for back in the day. Worse, Avid outsourced a lot of their engineering several years back, which has led to reliability issues, and also slowed development to a crawl. Long-time users are frustrated, and some are abandoning the platform. Meanwhile products like S1 and Reaper are evolving quickly and now have much better feature sets than PT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix View Post
Why give it away, why not keep it and put it to good use from time to time, such as a client gives you a project that's in pro tools and doesn't want to spend the time printing stems?

I find editing audio in pro tools a snap, especially drums and vocals. I've used Reaper in the past for a few simple tasks, but didn't see it being better for these tasks...perhaps I'm just missing something or did they upgraded their audio editing flow?

I have Logic, I probably use it once or twice a year. For those times when I'm glad I have it instead of thinking, fk why did I ditch it.

Good luck...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix View Post

Good luck...
Once you recognise the power of using “under mouse cursor” key shortcuts you will become editing ninja in Reaper. I’m a true convert from Pro Tools HD. Reaper saves so much time. I am very good and quick in Pro Tools. I’ve been working in HD for almost 15 years. I’ve never believed in Reaper hype, in fact I was very sceptical. But I learned it and once that happened I quickly became more efficient in Reaper than I have ever been in Pro Tools. I’m not trying to convince anyone. I’m encouraging everyone to at least give it an honest go. Not scratching the surface, but learning a few advanced bits.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko View Post
Once you recognise the power of using “under mouse cursor” key shortcuts you will become editing ninja in Reaper. I’m a true convert from Pro Tools HD. Reaper saves so much time. I am very good and quick in Pro Tools. I’ve been working in HD for almost 15 years. I’ve never believed in Reaper hype, in fact I was very sceptical. But I learned it and once that happened I quickly became more efficient in Reaper than I have ever been in Pro Tools. I’m not trying to convince anyone. I’m encouraging everyone to at least give it an honest go. Not scratching the surface, but learning a few advanced bits.
This is exactly why I'm giving it an honest shot, I want to be able to create and have no restrictions - I think reaper and ableton will do just that.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
I'm 99% sure that post is pure sarcasm. If you read his follow-up to me, it's clear he thinks that Reaper users are kids who are not serious about music or production. I'm sure it came as a surprise I'm an avid Reaper user older than most of the people on this board, and who started in audio about the time the Beatles came out.

I don't know this particular user, so I don't know if this applies to him. But there are a lot of old-school PT users who are unhappy these days. Today, native is powerful enough that only the most demanding users require the Avid DSP boards that some paid so much for back in the day. Worse, Avid outsourced a lot of their engineering several years back, which has led to reliability issues, and also slowed development to a crawl. Long-time users are frustrated, and some are abandoning the platform. Meanwhile products like S1 and Reaper are evolving quickly and now have much better feature sets than PT.
Dean, you are a Relic ... just like me my friend .. LOL ... love you man ..

i ahve tried Reaper, just could not wrap my head around it, as i think many others as well have had this issue. i used to have the same thing with Logic .. but now i am writing tunes in Logic X and love it .. i may try Reaper again, very impressed when i tried it !! when writing i need simple or you could lose that number 52 Hit ! haha

cheers john
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I've used Reaper for about 5 years, coming from PT though not stopping using it. Just chose to stop spending the money on the updates that eventually became necessary with OS updates. Still use PT elsewhere but been running my personal rig and remote on Reaper.

Two things that are major enough that even after spending much time with the Reaper way of them I still will do these in PT instead. The first is Reaper's take system, which devoted Reaper users insist works terrifically but I find it a drag to use. It can get the job done but ProTools' take playlist system is simple, elegant and speedy, which Reaper's just is not. If I'm tracking and there will be takes within songs (as opposed to just many takes of the songs) I track in PT. The other is that PT's track grouping is similarly simple, fast and works. Reaper does not have a track grouping system, it has an "item" grouping one, items being each piece of audio that is in a track, both separately recorded but also after editing. Even if a track was recorded 10 minutes straight through, if you've done some tweaks it's now broken down into items. I've had all of the options laid out by Reaper users for the best workflow for editing basic tracks, where sometimes it's the ten drum tracks and nothing else, sometimes it's just the vocals and guitars and nothing else, and, for me, and in my opinion, a convoluted drag to deal with. Editing a 40 track session in PT simply is not.

These are two Reaper functions where, yes, they are far, far more customizable and powerful, but 75% of the power options are nothing I'll ever use (move right edge of every 3rd muted take beyond stretch marker to first non stretch marker that isn't red and tell Siri to let wife know the session is going over) and even after being on it daily for 5 years I feel it misses the mark on the meat and potatoes of some of those same functions. The developers are the best and the business model and price are in a class of their own. But I think its core is problematic for many, which is that it can do nearly anything one can imagine but this magic is done by user scripts generously provided every time they come up with a twist or a way to do something someone has asked for (or has asked for for 10 years). It's user base is different from the usual one. It reminds me of the old pre-Apple Logic user base. The folks on the forum (terrific in general, helpful and cool) sometimes forget that not every DAW user wants to spend as many hours a week on a forum to find out how to emulate another function they require. Most of my peers, recordists and musicians, barely go online at all, and forums are totally alien to them and they like it that way. If you're not game for completely plugging into Reaper's forum and continually relying on it to get by, Reaper's not for you. And I REALLY hate the prevalent opinion there that if it can't be your DAW it's because of the your inability to let go of previous paradigms and workflows for a new one. Uh, uh, sorry, no. Some of the time, possibly. But one should definitely not feel its their fault it doesn't work for them. It usually isn't.

For its rendering and batch converting functions alone its worth the price anyway
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

"Reaper does not have a track grouping system"

I think you might have not looked... Reaper has a good "track grouping system" It also is customizable and you can just create you own shortcut or whatever you want...
Old 3 weeks ago
FWIW, we have some broadcasters using Reaper. FOH mix engineers use it to record 100+ tracks live on stage at concerts and festivals.
There is nothing amateur about it, at most it might miss a feature which someone might need, but then again, no DAW delivers it all.

PT HDX is great when lowest latency is a must when mixing in the box.

Personally, I wish the integration between interface mixing DSP and ASIO 2 Direct Monitoring is expanded and DSP mix plugins are improved so the best of both worlds can be combined.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Avid, well Digidesign made a milestone mistake. They lost ALL the up and coming engineers and producers of the near future.
I'm not referring to total bedroom producers for which Reason or Acid were OK, but people who really wanted to to this job and invested what they could in it.

If you wanted PT as a budding producer or engineer with a limited amount of money to spend , until around 5-7 years ago you could only get a ridiculously limited light version, terribly limited in channel count and NO LATENCY COMPENSATION, which in workflow terms means time consuming caveman-style manouvres .
Also it had to run on horrible sounding plastic proprietary audio interfaces which seemed 10 years late when they came out.

All this, while the competition was offering things such as unlimited channels latency compensation, flexibility in choosing interfaces and perfect MIDI functionality at way lower prices. It just didn't make sense to have those Light versions of PT if you were serious but still couldn't afford 10x times the prices of those interfaces people are now using as doorstep.
People grow with their tools and get attached naturally to programs they have worked with for years usually.

Pro Tools is great (apart from MIDI, still ridiculous and a no go for composers), but Cubase/Reaper and other DAWS are not inferior in any way.

Digidesign/Avid are REAPING what the sow.

You see what I did there, I made a joke!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboy View Post
I've used Reaper for about 5 years, coming from PT though not stopping using it. Just chose to stop spending the money on the updates that eventually became necessary with OS updates. Still use PT elsewhere but been running my personal rig and remote on Reaper.

Two things that are major enough that even after spending much time with the Reaper way of them I still will do these in PT instead. The first is Reaper's take system, which devoted Reaper users insist works terrifically but I find it a drag to use. It can get the job done but ProTools' take playlist system is simple, elegant and speedy, which Reaper's just is not. If I'm tracking and there will be takes within songs (as opposed to just many takes of the songs) I track in PT. The other is that PT's track grouping is similarly simple, fast and works. Reaper does not have a track grouping system, it has an "item" grouping one, items being each piece of audio that is in a track, both separately recorded but also after editing. Even if a track was recorded 10 minutes straight through, if you've done some tweaks it's now broken down into items. I've had all of the options laid out by Reaper users for the best workflow for editing basic tracks, where sometimes it's the ten drum tracks and nothing else, sometimes it's just the vocals and guitars and nothing else, and, for me, and in my opinion, a convoluted drag to deal with. Editing a 40 track session in PT simply is not.

These are two Reaper functions where, yes, they are far, far more customizable and powerful, but 75% of the power options are nothing I'll ever use (move right edge of every 3rd muted take beyond stretch marker to first non stretch marker that isn't red and tell Siri to let wife know the session is going over) and even after being on it daily for 5 years I feel it misses the mark on the meat and potatoes of some of those same functions. The developers are the best and the business model and price are in a class of their own. But I think its core is problematic for many, which is that it can do nearly anything one can imagine but this magic is done by user scripts generously provided every time they come up with a twist or a way to do something someone has asked for (or has asked for for 10 years). It's user base is different from the usual one. It reminds me of the old pre-Apple Logic user base. The folks on the forum (terrific in general, helpful and cool) sometimes forget that not every DAW user wants to spend as many hours a week on a forum to find out how to emulate another function they require. Most of my peers, recordists and musicians, barely go online at all, and forums are totally alien to them and they like it that way. If you're not game for completely plugging into Reaper's forum and continually relying on it to get by, Reaper's not for you. And I REALLY hate the prevalent opinion there that if it can't be your DAW it's because of the your inability to let go of previous paradigms and workflows for a new one. Uh, uh, sorry, no. Some of the time, possibly. But one should definitely not feel its their fault it doesn't work for them. It usually isn't.

For its rendering and batch converting functions alone its worth the price anyway
I think I'd agree with all this too having been a reaper user/supported since V1

the takes system is indeed clunky. I use Cubase and the swipe take system is quick and elegant. Putting drum tracks into a folder with group editing means all takes will follow your edit.

I can't believe they don't have a pencil tool for waveform re drawing yet. I use this daily to edit any unpleasant vocal clicks, mouth noises, etc.

I still have reaper and use it live and I would be able to make a record with it no problem but Cubendo still feels a lot more aesthetically pleasing to the eye and user friendly.

M
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
"Reaper does not have a track grouping system"

I think you might have not looked... Reaper has a good "track grouping system" It also is customizable and you can just create you own shortcut or whatever you want...
I should have clarified that. Reaper does have what it calls a track grouping system, which functions in the typical Reaper inelegant manner, and is great if you want to group polarity phase, pan width, or any of the other things they include in the track grouping parameters but not good if you want sensible, bulletproof group editing of audio, which is the only thing I care about as far as track grouping. Frankly nearly everything except for a few parameters (and file editing) is useless to me. I've been around and around with this. Obviously it is possible to edit on multiple tracks but it's a good example of how Reaper can do amazing things and yet you need to sometimes be very tolerant of how it provides a way to do some of the simplest and most basic things, and in this case I find that even though it lets you create a million groups, editing with multiple, switchable groups is simply an unhappy experience to me. I want to touch any track anywhere and it's group will act as one, nothing else required, as PT does. It's been recently brought up on their forum.

Track grouping - Cockos Incorporated Forums

Track AND item Grouping (like in Pro Tools) - Cockos Incorporated Forums

Item grouping is where linked editing is available, and all the workarounds that have been suggested to me involve a convoluted way of combining track grouping with item grouping to get the functionality I need, which is far simpler than what Reaper shoots for. So far the closest I've come is with Admiral Bumblebee's (who has the best DAW blog around at AdmiralBumbleBee.com , truly a fantastic resource) way of finagling a track grouping workflow out of Reaper

Pro Tools-like group editing in Reaper

Alas, it does work, is a pain to set up, and doesn't really take away all of the heartache of wanting to work expediently and productively all day editing multi grouped projects. It's the best workaround I've found and it doesn't completely solve the problem, maybe 80%. Hence the old version of PT on the old 10.6.8 Mac gets good use around here.

Oh, and midi I have no idea how people are doing serious midi work in Reaper. It's probably why ALL of the Reaper tutorials feature projects with music that sounds like EDM done on a Casio. Good for that, no problem. But for a normal playing session, the kind of keyboard performance that's easily tweaked in DP I have to use DP for three hours instead of banging my head against the desk for 10 hours editing a piano midi project in Reaper. It's just not made for it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Oh, and midi I have no idea how people are doing serious midi work in Reaper. It's probably why ALL of the Reaper tutorials feature projects with music that sounds like EDM done on a Casio. Good for that, no problem. But for a normal playing session, the kind of keyboard performance that's easily tweaked in DP I have to use DP for three hours instead of banging my head against the desk for 10 hours editing a piano midi project in Reaper. It's just not made for it.
I use an octatrack with a usb to midi cable and quantize the input.
The piano roll is nothing to brag about.
But the linear editor/roll in ableton was always an unfamiliar chore. I just made a bunch of loops, and never made any good progression.
Studio One had me for a while, but their lack of track nesting put me off
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I should have clarified that. Reaper does have what it calls a track grouping system, which functions in the typical Reaper inelegant manner, and is great if you want to group polarity phase, pan width, or any of the other things they include in the track grouping parameters but not good if you want sensible, bulletproof group editing of audio, which is the only thing I care about as far as track grouping. Frankly nearly everything except for a few parameters (and file editing) is useless to me. I've been around and around with this. Obviously it is possible to edit on multiple tracks but it's a good example of how Reaper can do amazing things and yet you need to sometimes be very tolerant of how it provides a way to do some of the simplest and most basic things, and in this case I find that even though it lets you create a million groups, editing with multiple, switchable groups is simply an unhappy experience to me. I want to touch any track anywhere and it's group will act as one, nothing else required, as PT does. It's been recently brought up on their forum.

Track grouping - Cockos Incorporated Forums

Track AND item Grouping (like in Pro Tools) - Cockos Incorporated Forums

Item grouping is where linked editing is available, and all the workarounds that have been suggested to me involve a convoluted way of combining track grouping with item grouping to get the functionality I need, which is far simpler than what Reaper shoots for. So far the closest I've come is with Admiral Bumblebee's (who has the best DAW blog around at AdmiralBumbleBee.com , truly a fantastic resource) way of finagling a track grouping workflow out of Reaper

Pro Tools-like group editing in Reaper

Alas, it does work, is a pain to set up, and doesn't really take away all of the heartache of wanting to work expediently and productively all day editing multi grouped projects. It's the best workaround I've found and it doesn't completely solve the problem, maybe 80%. Hence the old version of PT on the old 10.6.8 Mac gets good use around here.

Ya it has to do more with track flow... Right click the pan knob on any track, and select Stereo Pan (or the other standard selections) as the panning mode and the width knob should show up for that track. If you prefer this panning mode theres an option in Preferences to make it the default. its the same in reaper. they are separate functions. click the routing button (the one with MASTER SND RCV I/O on it) and there is your width function separate from your pan. its also right under pan in your envelop listings if you want to automate it etc... and you can save the chain or template a bus etc... not hard.

Yea MIDI is a diff animal - I use another old linux program with a Yamaha KX61 built for cubase and linix plays every top sound font from 25 years of midi motif etc. that real ez routing and recording... A nice thing about reaper are all tracks can run midi or audio,,,
But Reaper will also run all those dozens of open source midi synths ez like Zyn etc.

I have spent only a couple a months and man once you customize - it is wicked fast... and there is almost 4 ways to accomplish anything.

I am not a slave to proprietary software... I love that you can open a lot of Reaper .so 's and rewrite them or make anything you want. For me most daws are meant to be hack proof. I don't like that about windows or Mac.. or most commercial daws. Its like buying a car and the engine hood is welded shut, All daws have there pluses and and I am a Reaper fan boy.
Heck I use Ardour too. It has some something no daw has, thats creative work flow ease.

For production speed I don't think anything tops it. But we are all different. tc
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by s wave View Post
I am not a slave to proprietary software... I love that you can open a lot of Reaper .so 's and rewrite them or make anything you want. For me most daws are meant to be hack proof. I don't like that about windows or Mac.. or most commercial daws. Its like buying a car and the engine hood is welded shut, All daws have there pluses and and I am a Reaper fan boy.
Heck I use Ardour too. It has some something no daw has, thats creative work flow ease.

For production speed I don't think anything tops it. But we are all different. tc
I really do like Reaper I use it for everything that I enjoy using it for, which is much, but there are some things that I'm happier in another DAW, which is for midi editing and multitrack editing.

Reaper has been a revelation to me in the sense that I got it because I just had to being a new path for moving forward totally due to cost considerations. And what I did get as a side benefit is that I used to do remotes with either PT or DP, sometimes dead simple, sometimes up to 16 inputs, and I always dreaded them. Since it's just a random event for me, nothing I count on for income, I didn't think to switch DAWs. Using two was enough of a thing. I had to bring my better studio Macbook Pro because neither would do a large remote project on my older small 13" one. My interfaces are Metric Halo and their recording app, which just captures audio, nothing else, is extremely bulletproof and highly regarded, I have never been able to get to first base with! I just can't figure all the MH routing stuff out beyond getting it into the DAW and I don't understand the app : ) Now with Reaper, it's so efficient I can do a remote with record 16 tracks on the 2008 13" MBP not only easily but with confidence it won't hiccup at all. The fact that Reaper takes and renders any audio format you can throw at it, any plugin you can throw at it (well, any VST or AU), has so many cool JS plugins that do things Ive never had a plugin do, and is so easy on the CPU and stable, I just find a remarkable feat and I am grateful for the business model they are committed to.

Yep, we're all different. And all a little nutty and stubborn, and work with a certain side of our brain that won't jive with everything everyone else uses (what I know how to do in Linux you could fit on the head of a pin, and that won't change any time soon ) I'm good at customizing workflows but a failure at scripting. It just won't come out of me, so I'm grateful that the Reaper community shares so many scripts and JS plugins, and answers questions, because otherwise I am not the one to make them!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I really do like Reaper I use it for everything that I enjoy using it for, which is much, but there are some things that I'm happier in another DAW, which is for midi editing and multitrack editing.

Reaper has been a revelation to me in the sense that I got it because I just had to being a new path for moving forward totally due to cost considerations. And what I did get as a side benefit is that I used to do remotes with either PT or DP, sometimes dead simple, sometimes up to 16 inputs, and I always dreaded them. Since it's just a random event for me, nothing I count on for income, I didn't think to switch DAWs. Using two was enough of a thing. I had to bring my better studio Macbook Pro because neither would do a large remote project on my older small 13" one. My interfaces are Metric Halo and their recording app, which just captures audio, nothing else, is extremely bulletproof and highly regarded, I have never been able to get to first base with! I just can't figure all the MH routing stuff out beyond getting it into the DAW and I don't understand the app : ) Now with Reaper, it's so efficient I can do a remote with record 16 tracks on the 2008 13" MBP not only easily but with confidence it won't hiccup at all. The fact that Reaper takes and renders any audio format you can throw at it, any plugin you can throw at it (well, any VST or AU), has so many cool JS plugins that do things Ive never had a plugin do, and is so easy on the CPU and stable, I just find a remarkable feat and I am grateful for the business model they are committed to.

Yep, we're all different. And all a little nutty and stubborn, and work with a certain side of our brain that won't jive with everything everyone else uses (what I know how to do in Linux you could fit on the head of a pin, and that won't change any time soon ) I'm good at customizing workflows but a failure at scripting. It just won't come out of me, so I'm grateful that the Reaper community shares so many scripts and JS plugins, and answers questions, because otherwise I am not the one to make them!
Rlol if we were sane.... i guess we wouldn't be doin music! well said
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just want to say that I am also a new convert. I've used Logic primarily for ~20 years but in that time spent a fair bit of time on pretty much every other major DAW platform. Last week I moved my main studio computer from Mac to PC and thus no more Logic. I took a serious stab at Pro Tools, Cubase and Reaper. At first I really didn't like Reaper and found it very counter intuitive so I put is aside and spent a few days with Pro Tools. I've used PT enough over the years that I was immediately comfortable with the workflow. But, it crashed hard once and I am not a huge fan of subscriptions or Avid's business practices so I decided to explore other options. Studio One, Digital Performer and Cubendo were all viable but a friend I trust suggested Cubendo. I installed the demo and shelled out $30 for another dongle so I could explore it thoroughly. I couldn't make any transport functions work because I don't have a numpad on my keyboard. All the default quick keys are tied to a numpad. There is no cursor and you have to click in the time ruler to move the playhead. Trying to do simple audio imports and edits was a headache and a full version of Cubase is $800 so.... I decided to try Reaper again.

I watched a few of the "Reaper 5 explained" videos and quickly fell in love with the level of customisation and the way the controls follow common standards across other programs like text editors and IDEs. I'm a programmer and the Reaper folks are clearly programmers as well. This style was off putting at first coming from Logic but I'm starting to really appreciate the approach. I think Reaper will be my DAW of choice moving forward. It certainly is lightweight and nimble and I look forward to exploring its depths.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search