The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Phenom II X6 for DAW?
Old 20th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Question Phenom II X6 for DAW?

Is Phenom II X6 good for DAW? Or to buy i7 930? What is better for audio production (using a lot of vsti's)?

Right now I am having old crap computer, Athlon x2 3800 with 3 gb DDR. Whenever I start a track, cpu hits too high and sound slows down, full of clicks and pops and buffer is already at 1024, doesn't get much better at 2048 either.

Thank you!!!
Old 20th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomcore View Post
Is Phenom II X6 good for DAW? Or to buy i7 930? What is better for audio production (using a lot of vsti's)?

Right now I am having old crap computer, Athlon x2 3800 with 3 gb DDR. Whenever I start a track, cpu hits too high and sound slows down, full of clicks and pops and buffer is already at 1024, doesn't get much better at 2048 either.

Thank you!!!
Old 20th May 2010
soulstudios
Quote:

Thank you!!!
Any review of this will benchmark it against other processors, so just have a look at those - no need for daw-specific tests- music software isn't somehow magic you know
Old 20th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstudios View Post
Any review of this will benchmark it against other processors, so just have a look at those - no need for daw-specific tests- music software isn't somehow magic you know
No, but your DAW client will handle CPU threading and usage in it's own manor depending on how it's written, just like a cad client or a video rendoring client. Memory bandwidth plays a large part in this testing which other tests don't seem to take account of.

Video processing tests come out very well on the AMD's and Audio processing come out frankly quite poor. I had the same assumption before I benched it and I was proved wrong. I trust the dawbench tests due to the fact they are run in a real world manor rather than just hammering the maths.

The is every need for daw specific testing.
Old 20th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Kaine View Post
Thanks for your answer. But, tell me: am I going to benefit from sixcore amd in future...compared to i7 930? Actually, I would like to know do vsti's even use all 4 or 6 cores or they are still not on that level these days? Maybe in the near future this will change?
Old 20th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for your answer. But, tell me: am I going to benefit from sixcore amd in future...compared to i7 930? Actually, I would like to know do vsti's even use all 4 or 6 cores or they are still not on that level these days? Maybe in the near future this will change?
no even with 6 cores the AMD is much slower than the 930 4 core
in fact even slower than the 750/860
do not waste your money.

plus for VSTi its all about GHz and memory bandwidth
the memory bandwidth is far superior on the Intel systems

Scott
ADK
Old 20th May 2010
Lives for gear

This is a really simple question.
If you have an AM2+ system already with a slower chip the AMD 6 cores will be a good upgrade.
If you do not have an upgradable system or you are building a new box, the 930 is the best choice as it will only be a little more expensive and a good bit more powerful.
Old 20th May 2010
Gear Maniac

Ok, than i7 930 it is. Which and how much ram to take? 3x2 gb DDR3 @ 2000 mhz will do the job or it is overkill? I use large sample libraries sometimes, but really rarely.
Old 20th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, than i7 930 it is. Which and how much ram to take? 3x2 gb DDR3 @ 2000 mhz will do the job or it is overkill? I use large sample libraries sometimes, but really rarely.
You can do any amount of RAM you want, but I don't think 3GB is all that much cheaper than 6gb.
Old 21st May 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenja View Post
You can do any amount of RAM you want, but I don't think 3GB is all that much cheaper than 6gb.
He'll need a 64 bit OS to use more than 3.
Old 13th September 2010
Gear Head
depends on how you work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Kaine View Post
It really depends on how you work. No one seems to mention this. I work with Samplitude 10. I do a lot of rendering/bouncing of my objects/audio in the Project as opposed to lacing my system up with 10 plugs on each channel/object. I just find when I create the project as I go along it just works better over all for me. Because of this I decided to go with AMD because the encoding of audio really should not bench mark much different from video. Further no matter how I sliced it the AMD was 100 euros cheaper and furture cost are lower on this also. On the other hand with buffers its a whole different ball game as Scott from ADK has shown with his benchmarks because of intels usable hyper threading architecture. Further as more products will come out to handle 6 and 8 core processors. Both really have enough power to do a project with flying colors. I'm a grad student so that extra 100 eur for more unusable power was unjustifiable for me.
Old 13th September 2010
Lives for gear

and you could have bought an Intel 760/P55 combo that would be less than the AMD 6 core and had more power!

Scott
ADK
Old 13th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
2000Mhz RAM is expensive. 1600Mhz RAM is fine for audio applications.
Old 15th September 2010
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild View Post
and you could have bought an Intel 760/P55 combo that would be less than the AMD 6 core and had more power!

Scott
ADK
No Not with all the bouncing I do when mixing in sam . AMD has been proven to be much better at this further I also do a lot of video. No it was not cheaper by the time I added shipping an everything. I got a deal that I couldn't build used cheaper.
Old 15th September 2010
Gear Head
and I was directly comparing the i5 that you mention Scott.
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

in Eurpoe amd might be less.? according to Pete at scan (UK) its not however.

for video the AMD does do fairly well.

Scott
ADK
Old 15th September 2010
Gear Maniac

I had a compatible motherboard (well, with a bios update) so I went for the AMD 6 core.

running on Windows 7 64bit, 8gb ram, pro tools 8, it can take ANY amount of plugins that im ever going to use (eg several amplitubes without breaking a sweat)

well recommended.

I dont suppose you'll see that much difference between the amd and the intel except the price.
Old 15th September 2010
Gear Maniac

My usualy project contains around 5-6 Massive's, several Absynth's and not to mention how much eq's, comp's, delay's, reverbs. How does your 6 core AMD hold with that amount of vst's?
Old 15th September 2010
Gear Maniac

I dont have massive, but ive had 6 amplitube instances in a full project running fine. I dont think you'll have any problems.
Old 15th September 2010
Gear Maniac

Running fine, is cpu around 40 or 80? :P

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search