The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
EZ Drummer& SETTING TEMPO methods?
Old 14th May 2010
Lives for gear

EZ Drummer& SETTING TEMPO methods?

I just started using EZ Drummer and I'm using it mostly with acoustic guitar and bass - songs. I'm wondering if people would be so kind as to share your method(s) of determining how you decide the tempo of a song so that you can set up the drums and then record the acoustic guitar track to it so that it matchs the tempo of the song that has already been written.
HOW DO YOU DO IT? Thanks in advance!
Old 14th May 2010
Gear Nut

Record your song in to your DAW. Now that you've got a natural recording you can determine the BPM in a few ways. Most DAWs will have a tap-tempo feature that will display the average BPM as you tap. If yours doesn't, try these free VSTs.

Free VST Utilities Pick #1: Tap That Tempo, Know Your BPM

Hope this helps.
Old 14th May 2010
Lives for gear

Another less scientific way...import a beat into your DAW, loop it so it keeps playing...then play along and keep adjusting the BPM until it feels just right.
Old 15th May 2010
Lives for gear

thanks guys... KEEP EM COMING! ANY MORE WORDS OF ADVICE??
Technique suggestions ??
Old 17th June 2010
Here for the gear

ez drummer tempo changing in Nuendo 4??

Quote:
Originally Posted by awagner08 View Post
Record your song in to your DAW. Now that you've got a natural recording you can determine the BPM in a few ways. Most DAWs will have a tap-tempo feature that will display the average BPM as you tap. If yours doesn't, try these free VSTs.

Free VST Utilities Pick #1: Tap That Tempo, Know Your BPM

Hope this helps.
i know this maybe easy but i havnt figured it out.
i have a session with in N4 with a nice track of ez drums at 90bpms...Now i want to use the same ez drum arrangement but at a faster tempo 120bpm...
i dont want to have to drop in all the drums again..
any suggestions? i can get stuff to change when in Tempo Track In N4, but
the session doesnt adjust and or the ez drums dont adjust when im in the session.

iamconfused.
Old 17th June 2010
Gear Maniac

If you imported the midi loops they should change with the tempo of the session. In easy drummer you can play the loops w/out importing them yet, find a groove you like and play along to it. Then adjust the tempo accordingly.
Old 2nd February 2019
Sorry to drag up such and old thread but I have a similar question....

If I use a phone app or something to tap the tempo of my song and it comes up 109bpm...I'm wondering why ezdrummer2 presents so many midi loops at that tempo that quite simply don't fit the tempo of the song...they seem slower or totally ill timed....and I'm talking about straight up 4/4.

I set the tempo in ezdrummer to 109...find some 4/4 loops...you'd think they'd be in the ball park tempo wise. But the simple fact is that I can't zero in on the right midi loop...I have to go on endless hunts trying to find a loop that plays well at that tempo.

Can anyone shed any light on the way ezdrummer loops relate to tempo....or for that matter how I should even be tapping a tempo in an app to determine the right tempo for my song?

I dunno if I should tap a snare or a hihat playing 8ths or tap for the kick...I really don't know.

Any tips?

Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019
I think EZdrummer grooves have a native tempo. But then they adjust to any tempo you choose. So a native 109BPM groove will also play at 100BPM, or 135BPM.
I don't really know what you mean by 'ill timed'? All EZdrummer grooves are heavily analysed for inaccuracy. Although the drummer's feel is retained, any actual off timing is corrected.
Are you using midi expansions? I find you need packs from a couple of different drummers to really find what you want.
Start with the grooves that are marked 109BPM, but then be prepared to venture out to other BPM's, knowing that EZdrummer will still play them back at 109.
Old 2nd February 2019
Thanks. I mean that the groove doesn't fit to my ear when I play along with it on guitar. See, maybe I measured my tempo by tapping in hihat 8ths or something...so when I get the suggested groove at 109 in ezdrummer...maybe that groove is in fact playing a tempo marked by either the 1 and the 3 or the 2 and the 4...or whatever...not necessarily the hihats that I felt were the drive of the song. Or maybe I tapped out the tempo using the kick on 1 and 3 beats but the 109bpm groove I select is actually playing with the hihat 8ths in mind...so there's a mismatch in feel.

I don't know enough music theory to really know for sure how to determine my tempo. I mean, I can feel the tempo as a straight up 4 beat to the bar tempo...but another person may perceive or think of it as being 8 beats with hihat. So when you actually tap for the tempo you're tapping two different things as far as ezdrummer is concerned...or as far as my tempo finder app is concerned. It will just determine a bpm according to how many times you tap the button...but that may not be helpful for the true feel of the song...and ezdrummer will just often present the groove at that bpm with no consideration of whether the songs needs to flow at the 1 and the 3 or 8ths etc. So I'm kind of looking for a theoretical way to judge and define the 'feel' of my song. If I know that more accurately it'll save me huge time hunting around in ezdrummer finding a groove that is suitable.

Just as a practical example in plain English (I hope) here's what i did: tapped my finger on the tempo finder app, tapping out the true feel (as I hear it) of the song I'm playing. I get 109bpm. Fine. So I go into ezdrummer...set it to 109bpm...find a basic 4/4 beat....but then when I play along with it the snare, the kick...the whole thing is way, way too slow for my song.

Sorry, I'm pretty inarticulate because I don't know the theory
Old 2nd February 2019
All parts of the groove are going to work with the tempo. there is no way to have a hi-hat and a bass drum NOT play perfectly at 109bpm if that's the tempo you've set.
Hard to understand what your issue is?
You need to tap 1/4 notes probably to get a correct 'tap tempo'. Four notes per bar. That's how I usually do it.
There is a great free metronome app for your phone:
The Best Metronome App | Soundbrenner

Maybe try using that, then taking the tempo from that and inputting it into EZdrummer?
Old 2nd February 2019
Thanks again. sorry I'm hard to understand as I'm not making myself 100% clear. but I am certainly not saying that within a single groove the hihat and kick aren't playing perfectly together.

What I'm saying is that depending how I tap (I have a fine tempo app) the tempo calculated will differ. If I tap hihat 8th notes the generated tempo will be different compared to if I was tapping kick thumps. Tempo generation is only associated and calculated by the amount of taps over time.

So what you say about the need to tap 1/4 notes may be of use. 4 notes per bar.

I'll try that

Thanks
Old 2nd February 2019
Yers, because if your tempo app is set to 4 per bar, if you tap 8 it will obviously double the tempo it perceives.
Try tapping four beats per par.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search